Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Part of me is happy to see the Welsh bigged up and us dismissed. Usually brings out our best performances.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No Match thread? Hopefully some positivity instead of all the doom and gloom one would hope.
    Wales being hyped up to the last, they are not that good

I think what the general media and even our fans have assessed Wales fair enough. Not many extreme or over dismissive pieces/posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No Match thread? Hopefully some positivity instead of all the doom and gloom one would hope.
    Wales being hyped up to the last, they are not that good

Bale is though and in the qualifying for the last Euro's the amount of times he dragged them to victory with a late goal and/or assist was silly, as far as I remember anyway!

The rest of them plod along and the midfield works hard, and ramsey has some nice touches.

But you are right they are not that good. But Bale still seems to find a way to drag them along most of the time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Bale is though and in the qualifying for the last Euro's the amount of times he dragged them to victory with a late goal and/or assist was silly, as far as I remember anyway!

The rest of them plod along and the midfield works hard, and ramsey has some nice touches.

But you are right they are not that good. But Bale still seems to find a way to drag them along most of the time.

Oh No doubt, Bale is savage and is a huge threat but they have plenty of weak links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

James McClean to score last minute winner and rip off jersey revealing a combined Martin McGuinness and Ryan McBride t-shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think this is going to be a Wales win. Too many Irish injuries and Wales have to go for it.

I hope I am wrong, obviously.
    I would like to see McClean score in a win considering the last few days, Derry needs some good news.

Look at the table it would suggest otherwise.

We have a great chance of a draw tonight which would be a good result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Oh No doubt, Bale is savage and is a huge threat but they have plenty of weak links
    They must have and I hope Martin O'Neill is giving them plenty of consideration . Lets give a few things to be worrying about .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Hard-earned 1-1 for me.

I think we'll go out there to be rather conservative, go behind to a Bale beauty, then go for it a bit and snatch a goal from a set piece.

That said, I really hope Bale has an off night, and as they will be on the front foot I hope they allow space for Long/McClean/McGeady counter attacks. Then we may have a chance to get a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Let's put aside our good run so far, and Wales less than convincing opening to their campaign.

It's been...

Nearly 3 years since we lost a home game (friendly to Turkey in May 2014)

And September 2013 was the last time we lost a qualifier at home (Sweden).

Ireland have scored in every home game under O'Neill bar one (England bore draw Friendly).

You can't legislate for Bale turning into Superman over the 90 mins, but if we play to a standard and intensity we have been, then a draw is the least we should expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I genuinely wouldn't take a draw.

I think we've enough about us to win. This is gonna be another helter skelter type game like the Scottish one. We have the opportunity to create an amazing amount of separation from the Top Seeds after just 5 games.

For once, as a nation and as a team, I'd love if we stood up today and had a pop. Lets be positive, lets not keep it tight and hope to knick one because a draw keeps us 4 points a piece. Let's bury them from having any opportunity to top the group tonight.

Can't wait to get down to Landsdowne. The atmosphere should be great tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

I predict 2-1 to Ireland.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

PhilipsR wrote: »

I think we've enough about us to win. This is gonna be another helter skelter type game like the Scottish one. We have the opportunity to create an amazing amount of separation from the Top Seeds after just 5 games.

For once, as a nation and as a team, I'd love if we stood up today and had a pop. Lets be positive, lets not keep it tight and hope to knick one because a draw keeps us 4 points a piece. Let's bury them from having any opportunity to top the group tonight.

I gotta agree with you on this, if you offered me a draw now I'd say no. Being top of the group and at home a draw would be two points dropped imo.

Obviously a win is the desire and is well attainable but a draw would be far from a bad result, it is moreso 2 points lost for Wales than this stage than us. If anyone can't afford to lose it is them. Talk about home advantage all you like but it comes down to the table at the end of the day. We don't play Wales away until the last game, and going the way they are, if we draw tonight, by the time that last game comes around, we could be qualified and they could be out.

This isn't a defeatist attitude, it is moreso a realistic one. Clearly we should go out and put it to them but we are in a position now where every point/3 points we gain is 2 points/3 points lost for our rivals and with 2 thirds of our remaining games being at home, if we were to merely get a draw tonight, we shouldn't go into panic mode. Because it is the Welsh who will be doing so.

So, yeah, the only real bad result tonight is a defeat. A draw, whilst not preferable, is far from a negative result in my opinion against a team like Wales who are top seeds and have had some fine results themselves the last few years and are far from shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Great position for Ireland to be in after 4 games and from here it's theirs to lose. The absence of Brady and Hoolahan is pretty disheartening so I'm not going to be looking forward to a game where Ireland show much, if any, technical acumen on the ball. We need to hope that players like Meyler, Hendrick, McClean and McGeady really show up in order make up for those two players. Can't be letting Wales boss midfield and feeding Bale.

While Ireland are in a great position, it has to be said that one of Ireland's best defenders has been the upright, where it think it has been struck by the opposition in at least two games of the campaign so far. Can't always rely on that and the main thing will be a solid defensive performance to keep Wales quiet. A 0-0 draw would be fairly welcome, as things stand, and keeping a clean sheet always leaves open the possibility that Ireland can nick something at the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PhilipsR wrote: »

Its Martin O'Neill remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its Martin O'Neill remember.

That's the main reason I fear the midfield three being Hendrick, McCarthy and Whelan :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Whelan is still our best defensive midfielder like or not. There's a reason managers keep playing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Wales are going to go for it so we may be on the back foot looking to attack on the break. The nerves are starting to kick in now., It will be a low scoring game 1-0 or 1-1 .

As much of a fan I am of McGeady hes a better option off the bench
    I expect the Welsh to be quite physical like ourselves
    so Walters and McClean to start

Sin City wrote: »
    Wales are going to go for it so we may be on the back foot looking to attack on the break. The nerves are starting to kick in now., It will be a low scoring game 1-0 or 1-1 .

As much of a fan I am of McGeady hes a better option off the bench
    I expect the Welsh to be quite physical like ourselves
    so Walters and McClean to start

I wouldn't expect the Welsh to be over physical to be honest, obviously they will get stuck in but their midfielders are far more technical than physical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Haven't been to a game in the Aviva in a while, where's the best place for a pint before heading in? Ballsbridge hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Haven't been to a game in the Aviva in a while, where's the best place for a pint before heading in? Ballsbridge hotel?

Probably no use to you if you are heading in from that side but The Gasworks (opposite Barrow St.) is 10 times better since Galway Bay Brewery took it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Trond wrote: »
    Probably no use to you if you are heading in from that side but The Gasworks (opposite Barrow St.) is 10 times better since Galway Bay Brewery took it over.

Never even crossed my mind, cheers we'll check it out that's not much out of the way

Gerogia 1 up against Serbia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Great start for us in georgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Serbia lose and Ireland win that puts us five points ahead of Serbia in second.

• Advertisement

Georgia missed a sitter to make it 2-0

Good old Kolarov!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

What time is Kick off tonight?

1-1

What time is Kick off tonight?

7 45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Trond wrote: »
    Whelan is still our best defensive midfielder like or not. There's a reason managers keep playing him.

He does a savage point of the finger in fairness to him!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Sin City wrote:
    Georgia missed a sitter to make it 2-0

It was even more than a sitter! Why didn't he square the f***ing thing!!

Wilberto wrote: »
    It was even more than a sitter! Why didn't he square the f***ing thing!!

would have been offside

2-1 Serbs

2-1 Serbia :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Sin City wrote:
    would have been offside

Nope. He was behind the ball.

C7tAXb7XUAAEwIP.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

As expected

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wilberto wrote: »
    Nope. He was behind the ball.

Glory so :mad::mad::mad:

Been a tough week for McLean, would love to see him produce the goods tonight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Well, hopefully that McCarthy/Whelan combination won't come back to haunt us. Been a failed tactic for years apart from the Bosnia game and I genuinely was convinced he had ditched it. That team looks so flat.

Wales Team: Hennessey (GK), Gunter, Taylor, Davies, Chester, Williams (C), Allen, Robson-Kanu, Ramsey, Bale, Ledley.

Ireland Subs: Westwood (GK), C. Doyle (GK), McGeady, K. Doyle, Horgan, Christie, Egan, Hourihane, Meyler, Hayes, O'Dowda, Pearce.

Tyson Fury wrote:
    As expected

Or as I would have said, as feared.

Still though, there's always a chance! :)

Wales Team: Hennessey (GK), Gunter, Taylor, Davies, Chester, Williams (C), Allen, Robson-Kanu, Ramsey, Bale, Ledley.

Quality team in fairness

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Never seen the panel so downbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Class gesture by Wales there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is the game on radio?

• Advertisement