Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• So gutted for Coleman
    I repeat one of the scummiest tackle I've seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Terrible for Coleman.

Shame we got no luck in the other results.

Need to hope wales can get something in Serbia now but tough to see it without Bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

noodler wrote: »
    Terrible for Coleman.

Shame we got no luck in the other results.

Need to hope wales can get something in Serbia now but tough to see it without Bale.

Their heads will be completely deflated now while Serbia are on the frontfoot. Without Bale, Allen etc and that momentum/confidence if Wales get even a point I would be surprised.

Ireland v Serbia in Aviva. BIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Without Bale, Allen etc and that momentum/confidence if Wales get even a point I would be surprised.

Allen isn't suspended

8-10 wrote: »
    Allen isn't suspended

Yeah it's Taylor that'll be gone.

Allen didn't get booked for some reason.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Allen isn't suspended

Sorry, Ramsey

Sorry, Ramsey

Did he get booked? Didn't think so.

Did he get booked? Didn't think so.

He did. He is definitely NOT out!

Cool, definitely a second?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

That was one poor game of football.

Terrible for Coleman

• Advertisement

He did. He is definitely out

Just heard he is not out. Commentators said he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'm really devastated for Seamus Coleman, I love the passion he shows when playing for club and country. Hopefully we see him back in green and wearing the captains armband again soon. He's one of the most naturally gifted players we have & always give it his all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads judging from the pictures, he'll do well to ever play football again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Jesus Christ relax with that ****e til we know more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Plenty of players come back from that type of injury. One was on the pitch tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Breaks of that nature ( as in horriffic looking but clean breaks) actually heal better in most cases for some reason.

V disappointed with O Neill and our tactics tonight. Wales were there for the taking. We gave them so much fooking respect, reminded me of Germany match. Hendrick was shocking tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Trond wrote: »

V disappointed with O Neill and our tactics tonight. Wales were there for the taking. We gave them so much fooking respect, reminded me of Germany match. Hendrick was shocking tonight.

I would tend to agree with that. Maybe we can forgive the tactics slightly because of injuries but if our history is anything to go by I think we were always going to be negative, even with a full team. When opportunity knocks we tend to turn off the lights and hide behind the sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

MON is a dinosaur. His tactics are from a bygone age. He is one of the most negative coaches out there.

Had to laugh at Dunphy's hypocrisy last night. He lauded the performance and tactics, yet if Trap had of served up that muck, he would have been roasted by the same man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

It was poor game last night,we set up to frustrate them,kept things tight but then when they went down to 10 men we seemed to force things too much we were missing a bit of quality to just steady things and pick a pass to open them up.

• Advertisement

MON teams have played better football in previous games but more and more you feel the style of play is dictated by whether or not. Wes is playing rather than any tactics by the manager.

Its sad to be reduced to that when you are missing a few starters but it was effective.

Hopefully have Austria with a full complement. If they win they'll be a point behind us and possibly two from top if Wales draw with Serbia so I don't see it being easy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Brady was the big loss. His set pieces delivery and crosses would've made the difference between winning and losing. Wes could've done that as well, but for me Brady's loss was pivotal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I wouldn't be that critical of O'Neill. We're not blessed with talent but I think there has been some improvement on the style of play since Trap.

You don't see international managers overhauling the football culture of countries and implementing drastically new styles of play. They don't have the time. Unfortunately we don't have a League in this country that can keep our best players and therefore we're not really in control of the style of football our players are used to playing and it would be difficult to implement a nationwide strategy.

There are distinct styles of football in the Spanish, Italian and other European leagues and those styles are reflected by their national teams. The players are indoctrinated in it and speak the same football language.

Our players are a mish mash of former league of Ireland and British academy products from various styles of play and from various levels on the football pyramid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Everton really now won't want to ever release a player to Ireland again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Everton really now won't want to ever release a player to Ireland again.

As an Everton supporter, really I don't think the club will have much to say about the Coleman injury. It's not Ireland's fault.

But the selfish risks constantly taken with James McCarthy is outright ridiculous and the outright arrogance of the team management is just as annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

murpho999 wrote: »
    Look at the table it would suggest otherwise.

We have a great chance of a draw tonight which would be a good result.

You were right about the draw. It was a terrible match to watch all the same!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I wouldn't be that critical of O'Neill. We're not blessed with talent but I think there has been some improvement on the style of play since Trap.

You don't see international managers overhauling the football culture of countries and implementing drastically new styles of play. They don't have the time. Unfortunately we don't have a League in this country that can keep our best players and therefore we're not really in control of the style of football our players are used to playing and it would be difficult to implement a nationwide strategy.

There are distinct styles of football in the Spanish, Italian and other European leagues and those styles are reflected by their national teams. The players are indoctrinated in it and speak the same football language.

Our players are a mish mash of former league of Ireland and British academy products from various styles of play and from various levels on the football pyramid.

One thing you could possibly do to help that I'd say from the summer is make the underage teams home based players only. We've now got a 19s, 17s and soon to be 15s squad in the loi and if you make them international squads home based only then it gives you more time to work with players as they are based in Ireland.

When it gets to 21s you could do the same or start introducing players who are playing abroad but I'd keep it majority home based with a couple of lads who have moved abroad.

The stats make for grim reading when you see that over 95% of the young lads who leave here as teenagers are released after there first contract. The loi have produced some quality players over the last number of years and the fai should be trying to encourage lads to stay at home and then make the move over when they are a little bit older and more experienced.

If you make underage teams home based some lads might stay at home and not leave at 18/19 thinking I've gotta be over in England if I want to be even considered for the 21s and if the senior squad picked a hand full of home based players even to just train with the squad it also gives lads the incentive to stay here like Horgan and Boyle who didn't move until mid 20s or give lads who leave early and fail the incentive to move back home to regain form like Towell done before getting another move with a good club across the water.(The Towell example doesnt look the best when you consider he's probably played a hand full of games in 12 months but hes just being unlucky with injuries and Brigthon chasing promotion the last two years. Any other top eight clubs and he would've been a first team regular imo.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Was at the game and the first half was one of the worst I've seen live from Ireland(besides Euro2012). Gave Wales so much time and space and we couldn't string 4/5 passes together, felt sorry for Long.
    Played better in second half even before the red but we were really missing Brady and/or Hoolahan for deliveries.
    Surprised to see McClean get MOTM, thought Allen was the best player on the pitch and i wouldn't have rated him at all beforehand.

• NIMAN wrote: »
    MON is a dinosaur. His tactics are from a bygone age. He is one of the most negative coaches out there.

Had to laugh at Dunphy's hypocrisy last night. He lauded the performance and tactics, yet if Trap had of served up that muck, he would have been roasted by the same man.

Do you not feel that player selection contributes to the tactics? We were missing hoolahan, Brady and arthur, who are all so much better on the ball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What are you talking about??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

What are you talking about??

Probably the pic where his leg looks like half a swastika.

Was at the game and the first half was one of the worst I've seen live from Ireland(besides Euro2012). Gave Wales so much time and space and we couldn't string 4/5 passes together, felt sorry for Long.
    Played better in second half even before the red but we were really missing Brady and/or Hoolahan for deliveries.
    Surprised to see McClean get MOTM, thought Allen was the best player on the pitch and i wouldn't have rated him at all beforehand.

They never give it to an opposition player.
    Ireland could have got beaten 10-0 and they still would have given '3' man of the match to an Irish player :confused:

They never give it to an opposition player.
    Ireland could have got beaten 10-0 and they still would have given '3' man of the match to an Irish player :confused:

Media pick man of the match, game was boring and there wasn't really any player standing out as man of the match so media probably gave it to McClean with the week he's been through.

NIMAN wrote: »

I remember when Ireland looked like they would not qualify for the Euros back in September 2015 and Dunphy was implying that O'Neill was a disappointment and he should go.

There's always been a certain cohort on here willing to criticise MON at every opportunity and you're never far away from a comment like "MON is a dinosaur etc..". It usually happens if we don't win or God forbid lose a game.

Fact is MON has this team and squad punching their weight which is all you can ask from a manager. Sometimes the football isn't as free flowing as you'd like and the long balls end up with us giving away percentages of possession a lot, but overall it's effective and at our best it can be attractive football as well. You'd back MON to get Ireland to get the job done much quicker than Chris Coleman for example who player for player probably has more talent at his disposal. We've got the right man managing us.

• Advertisement

I remember when Ireland looked like they would not qualify for the Euros back in September 2015 and Dunphy was implying that O'Neill was a disappointment and he should go.

some posters on here probably agreed with Dunphy at the time. At least Dunphy has the sense to revise his opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

We've seen players coming back from similar....for example Djibril Cisse did it twice. Happened to him on each leg...and he came back both times

We've even seen it happen to GAA players who have come back and they wouldn't have access to the same intensive world class care that Seamus will have

He'll come back. The question is will he be any good again. But he will come back.

Hi Captain Hindsight! Give us the lotto numbers

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Do you not feel that player selection contributes to the tactics? We were missing hoolahan, Brady and arthur, who are all so much better on the ball

We still had 11 professional footballers on the pitch, they should at least be able to pass the ball to each other. Its the fundamental basics of the game.

Wales were able to do it, or at least they tried. We just played hoofball. I've seen better football played by junior sides.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    We've seen players coming back from similar....for example Djibril Cisse did it twice. Happened to him on each leg...and he came back both times

We've even seen it happen to GAA players who have come back and they wouldn't have access to the same intensive world class care that Seamus will have

He'll come back. The question is will he be any good again. But he will come back.

If it heals and they get back into football, there shouldnt be any reason why they'd be any worse than they were before the break.

Luke Shaw, Aaron Ramsay are recent folk who are back playing fine again.

• Advertisement

We still had 11 professional footballers on the pitch, they should at least be able to pass the ball to each other. Its the fundamental basics of the game.

Wales were able to do it, or at least they tried. We just played hoofball. I've seen better football played by junior sides.
    When Ireland have Brady and Arter and Hoolahan and McCarthy available they play a better style of football, but you rather ignore that and throw in comments like "hoofball" and "dinosaur". Which team is in the better position to qualify? Which manager has the more talented players at his disposal?

Some people are never happy, they're known as malcontents and ultimately they're opinion is meaningless.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    There's always been a certain cohort on here willing to criticise MON at every opportunity and you're never far away from a comment like "MON is a dinosaur etc..". It usually happens if we don't win or God forbid lose a game.

Fact is MON has this team and squad punching their weight which is all you can ask from a manager. Sometimes the football isn't as free flowing as you'd like and the long balls end up with us giving away percentages of possession a lot, but overall it's effective and at our best it can be attractive football as well. You'd back MON to get Ireland to get the job done much quicker than Chris Coleman for example who player for player probably has more talent at his disposal. We've got the right man managing us.

So did Trap you could argue.

Doesn't absolve him from criticism.

It was a terrible footballing performance.

Clear. Instructions to. Drop off until they reached our third.

We survived but it was a disappointing lack of balance injuries notwithstanding.

So did Trap you could argue.

Doesn't absolve him from criticism.

It was a terrible footballing performance.

Clear. Instructions to. Drop off until they reached our third.

We survived but it was a disappointing lack of balance injuries notwithstanding.
    "A terrible footballing performance", really. All of the pundits Sadlier, Brady Dunphy, Cunningham on the later programme agreed the manager got the tactics spot on. But you know better of course don't you.

Edit:

Oh and btw Trap got us to a certain level but no he didn't really get us punching our weight. When we qualified under him we failed spectacularly whereas when we got to the tournament under MON we most definitively performed well and punched our weight. Big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

A series of very lucky events got us to Euro 2012 namely the easiest group by a mile and the worst team to ever get into the playoffs as opposition. We were badly found out. A world away from where we are now.

I think 10 points from the last 5 games does it for us so long as 3 of those are against Serbia

Do you know what, I think I heard this argument before...................oh, yeah, a few thousand times and SURELY by now, those engaging in it realise it just goes around and aroun and around and around.

Do people think they are bringing up an original point every 5 minutes or MON is tuning in and may change his tactics.

I am pretty sure MON has more tactical nuance than any of his here so personally on this occasion with the issues we had squad depletion wise, I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt he got the most out of his resources.

Joe Allen, Ramsey, Bale, all far superior passers than anyone of our players on the pitch. We had to bring something different to nullify that and in that respect, we were successful.

Forget about this home advantage issue, Wales (and us) have gone to far more intimidating cauldrons and got results so our trumpet wasn't exactly going to make up for the fact we were playing at home.

This was, not that Coleman or Bale will admit it, very much a bit of a must win for them, especially with Serbia and Austria winning. So we have essentially (almost) taken the top seeds out of consideration when we were very much depleted so that in itself is a positive. I waas on the Welsh fan forum just an hour ago and they have all but conceded defeat and are witchhunting Coleman for his naivety towards how Ireland would likely set up and almost all their main players bar Joe Allen. They are calling what we done ugly but necessary in the circumstances.

Yes we could and probably should have won it in the last 20 minutes and hopefully that won't come back to haunt us (McGeady probably should have been put on straight away after the injury maybe) but we were very unlucky to be fair and we did try to play when we were on the frontfoot so that was positive.
    But even then we saw how quick Wales could counter with 10 men, so clearly against 11 men we needed to shield the midfield.

Listen, we have 2 home games against Austria (who look very overrated and definitely a step below Wales imo) and Serbia (which will probably be the crunch game I imagine) and I can't imagine we should be afraid of the "Cardiff Cauldron", especially considering we may be qualified by then or Wales may have nothig to play for.

Our destiny is completely in our own hands now and it is rare we have been in this position and this age old cliche of "we play better in adversity" should be ignored. The adversity is the pressure of reaching our first world cup in 16 years. If that isn't enough pressure, nothing is.

So give MON a break and respect him for the tactics last night. To say that was one of our worst performances is ridiculous. Under the circumstances I am content with the point last night and we weren't lucky to get it, we earned it and Wales fans are the ones waking up disappointed today.

Not that our fans aren't devastated with that horrendous injury, which is the only thing that, in my opinion, we should be mourning from that game.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And MON clearly has more than one plan, which Trap didn't. It was the exact same XI, exact same tactic (hoof the ball to Doyle) no matter who the opposition.

We needed Trap to steady the ship, but MON has brought us to another level.

Do you know what, I think I heard this argument before...................oh, yeah, a few thousand times and SURELY by now, those engaging in it realise it just goes around and aroun and around and around.

Do people think they are bringing up an original point every 5 minutes or MON is tuning in and may change his tactics.

I am pretty sure MON has more tactical nuance than any of his here so personally on this occasion with the issues we had squad depletion wise, I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt he got the most out of his resources.

Joe Allen, Ramsey, Bale, all far superior passers than anyone of our players on the pitch. We had to bring something different to nullify that and in that respect, we were successful.

Forget about this home advantage issue, Wales (and us) have gone to far more intimidating cauldrons and got results so our trumpet wasn't exactly going to make up for the fact we were playing at home.

This was, not that Coleman or Bale will admit it, very much a bit of a must win for them, especially with Serbia and Austria winning. So we have essentially (almost) taken the top seeds out of consideration when we were very much depleted so that in itself is a positive. I waas on the Welsh fan forum just an hour ago and they have all but conceded defeat and are witchhunting Coleman for his naivety towards how Ireland would likely set up and almost all their main players bar Joe Allen. They are calling what we done ugly but necessary in the circumstances.

Yes we could and probably should have won it in the last 20 minutes and hopefully that won't come back to haunt us (McGeady probably should have been put on straight away after the injury maybe) but we were very unlucky to be fair and we did try to play when we were on the frontfoot so that was positive.
    But even then we saw how quick Wales could counter with 10 men, so clearly against 11 men we needed to shield the midfield.

Listen, we have 2 home games against Austria (who look very overrated and definitely a step below Wales imo) and Serbia (which will probably be the crunch game I imagine) and I can't imagine we should be afraid of the "Cardiff Cauldron", especially considering we may be qualified by then or Wales may have nothig to play for.

Our destiny is completely in our own hands now and it is rare we have been in this position and this age old cliche of "we play better in adversity" should be ignored. The adversity is the pressure of reaching our first world cup in 16 years. If that isn't enough pressure, nothing is.

So give MON a break and respect him for the tactics last night. To say that was one of our worst performances is ridiculous. Under the circumstances I am content with the point last night and we weren't lucky to get it, we earned it and Wales fans are the ones waking up disappointed today.

Not that our fans aren't devastated with that horrendous injury, which is the only thing that, in my opinion, we should be mourning from that game.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    "A terrible footballing performance", really. All of the pundits Sadlier, Brady Dunphy, Cunningham on the later programme agreed the manager got the tactics spot on. But you know better of course don't you.

Edit:

Oh and btw Trap got us to a certain level but no he didn't really get us punching our weight. When we qualified under him we failed spectacularly whereas when we got to the tournament under MON we most definitively performed well and punched our weight. Big difference.

Wow.

OK, clearly no point in talking to you about anything MON.

Footballing performance I said, not effort, not endeavour, but there was no football.

Course trap did, results in Italy Moscow and Paris.

Two play offs. One euros.

Didn't have the safety net of finishing third in a group to get a playoff either.

There was a lot of effort last night but sitting off at home for most of the game is a recipe for disaster alot of the time. I'm disappointed MON reverted to type without Wes and Brady.

And again, trap had to play Croatia, the best Spanish team ever and a strength Italy.

We had an ageing Sweden, pummelled by Belgium and a win over an understrength Italy with the added safety net of third getting you through.

Faugheen wrote: »
    We needed Trap to steady the ship, but MON has brought us to another level.

Ireland got lucky that we ended up with MON after Trap left, his win record is better than Traps and slightly better than Mick McCarthys by .3% who had a much better team than MON. Whoever replaces MON has big shoes to fill to keep this squad at the level MON has them at while trying to improve them.

Wow.

OK, clearly no point in talking to you about anything MON.

Footballing performance I said, not effort, not endeavour, but there was no football.

Course trap did, results in Italy Moscow and Paris.

Two play offs. One euros.

Didn't have the safety net of finishing third in a group to get a playoff either.

There was a lot of effort last night but sitting off at home for most of the game is a recipe for disaster alot of the time. I'm disappointed MON reverted to type without Wes and Brady.

And again, trap had to play Croatia, the best Spanish team ever and a strength Italy.

We had an ageing Sweden, pummelled by Belgium and a win over an understrength Italy with the added safety net of third getting you through.
    Wow indeed. Under Trap we coulnt beat anyone ranked higher than us. With MON we broke ground not been broken since we beat Holland to qualify for the World Cup. When we really need to get a win under MON we are capable of that. We're joint top of the Group with home games to come and you're carping about it. Ridiculous and nonsensical attitude.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement