Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The Welsh game is our last game, looking at the fixtures who are the top 2 will be decided by then I really think.

Ps, re "more suited to playing away"?

Look at our home record the last few years. ??? A game in Tblisi or Sebia is far more tense than a game at the Aviva would be against such opponents.

Oh, creative no. 10? Wes hoolahan.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

noodler wrote: »
    Serious backtracking now.

We lacked ambition last night. You can use semantics to argue about how it was only for the majority of the 70 (and not all the 70) or that defending deep doesn't mean we didn't press until they entered our half/third but that's all it is, - semantics.

But we didn't lack ambition. I would personally prefer a more proactive approach, but it was not at all that bad. In the first 70 minutes we did get on the ball for reasonable spells and pass it about. We did actually press them well in their own half and in the middle of the pitch. We also defended in our own half, and sometimes in our own third, but we didn't do that so much as to justify your descriptions of the game. All this stuff - "only pressed in our own third," "camped in our own third," "complete lack ambition," "ceding possession for 70 minutes" - is just ridiculous exaggeration. Cry "semantics" all you want, it doesn't make the rubbish you've been typing any more true.
    Christ, using match reports to dispute your biased interpretation of the events is met with "lol" - says it all really.

BBC: "Ireland seemed content with a draw with their deep-frying defence"

Guardian : "Ireland sat deep with the majority of the team bar Shane Long behind the ball"

Yep, I watched the game and talked about what happened. You've read some match reports and gone mental with exaggerating what happened. lol.
    Exactly how you managed to take issue with the description of the game, particularly given the fact you bizarrely seem to cede the principle but the not words is mind boggling.

I don't cede the principle. Your description of how the game went is nonsense. You can pretend that I agree with you. I don't. You are talking bollocks about how the game went as far as I'm concerned.
    Maybe you only remember the last 20 but another watch would refresh your memory.

Maybe you could try to learn the basics of football and language and then you could tell the difference between what happened on the pitch and how you have described it.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I dont go along with the view that we have a great advantage having key games at home. We're more suited to playing away. Have been for years.

It has been the opposite since O'Neill took over. O'Neill sets us up much better at home than away and the results have followed suit so far.

Scotland home: draw
    Scotland away: loss
    Poland home: draw
    Poland away: loss
    Germany home: win
    Germany away: draw

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Arnautovic and ilsanker both suspened for Ireland game which is huge for us and with the game being at home anything but a win for us will be dissapointing and will kill momentum. No reason why we cant get 3 points here after getting them in Vienna too,Ideal scenario would be a win for us and the serbs to draw with Wales cant see Wales getting anything out of this. Could very well be a two horse race for top after the next round of fixtures,if both Austria and Wales fail to win they are done imo. Serbia have to play a Wales without Bale Austria away and come to Dublin yet so i can see that draw in belgrade being huge for us. Beat Austria and get 4 points between a very dificult Giorgia away game and Serbs at home and were well on our way coming into the last two games.

Austria in June is a must win imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think the Austria game is the crunch match, and it's winnable. They don't look great at this point, struggled to break down Moldova at home. If we beat them next I'm confident we'll be top 2. Serbs are the favourites, only dropped points away to Wales and at home to us where they outplayed us if memory serves well. That was a great point looking back on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Serbia looked terrible v Georgia and were lucky to win imo.
    Serbia away was one of the worst performances we have in a qualifier in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The Welsh game is our last game, looking at the fixtures who are the top 2 will be decided by then I really think.

Ps, re "more suited to playing away"?

Look at our home record the last few years. ??? A game in Tblisi or Sebia is far more tense than a game at the Aviva would be against such opponents.

Oh, creative no. 10? Wes hoolahan.......

Jeez Wes Hoolahan isn't even able to play a couple of games in a week as it is and he will be 35 before we play Austria.

As for our home record in recent years, we hadn't beaten any team from the world's top 60 or something like that for something like 12 years until just over a year ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Jeez Wes Hoolahan isn't even able to play a couple of games in a week as it is and he will be 35 before we play Austria.

As for our home record in recent years, we hadn't beaten any team from the world's top 60 or something like that for something like 12 years until just over a year ago

Not sure if top 60 is right and can't be bothered looking it up but I get your point. BUT in the space of just over a year we have beaten the World Champions, qualified for second round of Euros for first time (albeit as best four out of six third place) and had a meaningful away win.

That's a lot if monkeys to get off our back in a short period. Friday was awful but given the results mentioned above and the start to current campaign I think there has to be a bit of self belief there now. Should still be aiming for automatic qualification and it is in our own hands at the halfway point rather than hoping for another Scotland sized ****up. That said, Wales getting a point in Belgrade would be lovely if we beat Austria a couple of hours beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pro. F wrote: »
    But we didn't lack ambition. I would personally prefer a more proactive approach, but it was not at all that bad. In the first 70 minutes we did get on the ball for reasonable spells and pass it about. We did actually press them well in their own half and in the middle of the pitch. We also defended in our own half, and sometimes in our own third, but we didn't do that so much as to justify your descriptions of the game. All this stuff - "only pressed in our own third," "camped in our own third," "complete lack ambition," "ceding possession for 70 minutes" - is just ridiculous exaggeration. Cry "semantics" all you want, it doesn't make the rubbish you've been typing any more true.

Yep, I watched the game and talked about what happened. You've read some match reports and gone mental with exaggerating what happened. lol.

I don't cede the principle. Your description of how the game went is nonsense. You can pretend that I agree with you. I don't. You are talking bollocks about how the game went as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe you could try to learn the basics of football and language and then you could tell the difference between what happened on the pitch and how you have described it.

You keep using hyperbole to criticise a very well understood interpret of the game yet everything you say in your opening paragraph echos what I said.

I'll leave it there so because it's unclear what you are in disagreement with.

I keep waiting for Wes to show his age but apart from the game management you mention he consistently delivers.

Our poor win record against top sides notwithstanding, having to beat Serbia at home (ignoring Austria for the moment) in order to potentially bag top spot is really one of the more doable asks when you think of our previous group winners.

• Advertisement

You keep using hyperbole to criticise a very well understood interpret of the game yet everything you say in your opening paragraph echos what I said.

I'll leave it there so because it's unclear what you are in disagreement with.

You claim "we completely lacked ambition" - I disagree with that.

You claim "we only pressed in our own half, or worse still, our own third" - I disagree with that.

You claim "we were happy to camp in our own third for alot of the game" - I disagree with that.

You claim we "ceded possession for 70 minutes" - I disagree with that.

Nothing that I said in my opening paragraph "echoes" those quotes. Well done on pretending you can't understand simple English. It's very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Arnautovic and ilsanker both suspened for Ireland game which is huge for us and with the game being at home anything but a win for us will be dissapointing and will kill momentum. No reason why we cant get 3 points here after getting them in Vienna too,Ideal scenario would be a win for us and the serbs to draw with Wales cant see Wales getting anything out of this. Could very well be a two horse race for top after the next round of fixtures,if both Austria and Wales fail to win they are done imo. Serbia have to play a Wales without Bale Austria away and come to Dublin yet so i can see that draw in belgrade being huge for us. Beat Austria and get 4 points between a very dificult Giorgia away game and Serbs at home and were well on our way coming into the last two games.

Austria in June is a must win imo

I would be very much in agreement there. The home game against Austria is vital. A win in that game and we are all but guaranteed a playoff spot at the very least while if the Sebs beat wales that same night which I expect that they will then that makes the group done and dusted except for who will finish first and second. I didn't know that Arnautovic and Ilsanker will be suspended for the game in June with us. That certainly helps us out.

Pro. F wrote: »
    You claim "we completely lacked ambition" - I disagree with that.

You claim "we only pressed in our own half, or worse still, our own third" - I disagree with that.

You claim "we were happy to camp in our own third for alot of the game" - I disagree with that.

You claim we "ceded possession for 70 minutes" - I disagree with that.

Nothing that I said in my opening paragraph "echoes" those quotes. Well done on pretending you can't understand simple English. It's very clever.

Well, I don't know how you disagree with the first three. Particularly since you've already admitted we sat very deep.

Most neutral media viewed that we sat deep, we're happy to cede possession and sit behind the ball.

I grant you the second semantics of the last point although I'm not sure I said the the "whole 70 minutes" as you type. I thought I said majority.

Possession was 60-40 in Wales' favour, granted they had better ball players in midfield but we definitely opted to sit deep.

You get very riled when you disagree but the only points you make are "nonsense" or "international match reports-lol".

eire4 wrote: »
    I would be very much in agreement there. The home game against Austria is vital. A win in that game and we are all but guaranteed a playoff spot at the very least while if the Sebs beat wales that same night which I expect that they will then that makes the group done and dusted except for who will finish first and second. I didn't know that Arnautovic and Ilsanker will be suspended for the game in June with us. That certainly helps us out.

Ilsanker play against us in Vienna? Don't recall now but certainly delighted not to have to deal with Arnautovic. It'll be a tough game though, last chance saloon for the Austrians. They've also already won three points in Tbilisi so thats one banana skin they've out of the way should they beat us.

I don't think they'll be as downbeat as some media and pundits have stated.

Well, I don't know how you disagree with the first three. Particularly since you've already admitted we sat very deep.

You are lying. Quote or STFU.
    I grant you the second semantics of the last point although I'm not sure I said the the "whole 70 minutes" as you type. I thought I said majority.

This is the quote I attributed to you: [that we] "ceded possession for 70 minutes"
    And here is where you said it:
    Okay, so conceding that point, the crux is that you don't like sitting deep and ceding possession for 70 minutes as "lacking ambition".
    Possession was 60-40 in Wales' favour, granted they had better ball players in midfield but we definitely opted to sit deep.

40% possession is not necessarily indicative of a team sitting deep and ceding possession. Also, provide a link for your stat.
    You get very riled when you disagree but the only points you make are "nonsense" or "international match reports-lol".

We did not lack ambition. We pressed Wales in their own half and in the middle of the pitch a reasonable proportion of the time during the first 70 minutes. We got on the ball and passed it about for reasonable spells in that first 70 minutes.

I've made all these points before now. You continue to pretend I haven't. Good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Coming away from Lansdowne the other night I now believe we are a lucky team rather then a good one.

In saying that missing key players and with 4 or 5 to come back for Austria hopefully we get 3 points in June

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

yabadabado wrote: »
    Serbia looked terrible v Georgia and were lucky to win imo.
    Serbia away was one of the worst performances we have in a qualifier in a long time.
    Yes I watched a good bit of that. They were very poor. It was a poor game. They dug the win out but Georgia missed an absolute sitter when they were 1 up to go 2 ahead. When we go to Georgia just make sure we are at it from the very start of the game, they're not a very good team when put under pressure. It was disappointing not to beat Wales at home but with a bit of luck regarding availability of players for the rest of the campaign I think we can top the Group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Coming away from Lansdowne the other night I now believe we are a lucky team rather then a good one.

Why do you say that ?

Why do you say that ?

Should have lost in Serbia
    Should have lost to Georgia
    Should have lost to Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Why do you say that ?

Yeah exactly, can't remember Wales having many chances, in fact we probably had more chances and should have won it in the end.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

When it was 11v 10 yes.

Did people miss the first 70 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Why do you say that ?

Yeah exactly, can't remember Wales having many chances, in fact we probably had more chances and should have won it in the end.
    The only half decent chance in the whole game was Bales shot. Not sure what chances you thought we had besides a couple of corners near the end

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The only half decent chance in the whole game was Bales shot. Not sure what chances you thought we had besides a couple of corners near the end

We had McClean's shot that was deflected wide,that was probably our best chance all be it a half chance

Looking at it this way a point against Wales was a good result but sadly came at a big cost of losing Coleman. It will mean nothing if we fail to beat Austria in June doe. There was'nt many chances but would have loved for McClean to stick that shot he got two attempts at. Hopefully with Brady and Wes coming back (two of our best and most creative players) along with McCarthy Duffy and Clark if lads stay fit long way till June the squad will be alot more confident going into it. Were level on points with Serbia the way lads are going on there a million miles ahead of us still in with a huge chance of topping this group considering weve 3 home games to come

We took Austria in Vienna no reason we cant do it in Dublin and they missing there main scoring threat

4 Points can turn very quick but I would have taken 11 points from 5 games.

Still got every chance in this group. I do think though we need to beat Austria or Serbia to top the group. I dont think 1 win in 6 against top 3 teams will do.

Beat Austria and I be fairly confident of least getting playoff no matter result in Serbia v Wales game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

As we have seen in the qualifying for the Euro's groups can turn really fast,

For once though we have qualification in our own hands,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

What do people think the team will be for tomorrow? Would like to see something like the below:
    Westwood
    Christie-Boyle-Egan-Ward
    McGeady-Hourihane-Hendrick-Horgan
    Brady
    Long

I will give credit to O Neill though we do look a very solid team at back no matter what patnership

We have played 15 competive games in Euro and WC group stages under his management and only conceded 10 goals which is a excellent return

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

We've only lost one competitive home game since we got hammered by Germany back in 2012. That would have to give a good dash of confidence with 3 home games remaining out of the last 5.

The home game v Austria, and the away game v Georgia are the ones we need huge performances for imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

What do people think the team will be for tomorrow? Would like to see something like the below:
    Westwood
    Christie-Boyle-Egan-Ward
    McGeady-Hourihane-Hendrick-Horgan
    Brady
    Long

Randolph
    Christie - Pearce - Keogh - Ward
    Horgan - Hendricks - Myler - McGeady
    Brady
    Long

Can't see Boyle and Egan starting together, Keogh and Pearce are starting for Derby at the moment so can see them starting together.

• Advertisement

When it was 11v 10 yes.

Did people miss the first 70 minutes?
    Wales dominated possession but I don't get where you think we were "lucky" from. I think we were unlucky in the end. We pressed hard and the ball was in their box a lot. We didn't get the bounce of the ball which would have presented a chance to score. Without ever playing with the creativity or composure that at our best we can produce in the 20 minutes that we dominated possession wise I thought we looked more likely to score than they did when they were on top.

We want to get a good mix of giving some younger guys a chance, but also have it feel like a senior game.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hourihane start, and indeed Horgan.

Not sure about that, but sure agree to disagree

Nonsense

elefant wrote: »
    We've only lost one competitive home game since we got hammered by Germany back in 2012. That would have to give a good dash of confidence with 3 home games remaining out of the last 5.

The home game v Austria, and the away game v Georgia are the ones we need huge performances for imo.

Coudnt agree more we need to beat Austria In Dublin and Georgia away is huge too I can see Serbia game being a draw as it's very close after Georgia game but if we can get two wins on the trot against Austria and Georgia which we are well capable of confidence will be very high. Hopefully Austria Wales or Georgia can take some points of Serbia instead of us , few surprises left can't see any team in this group staying unbeaten.

I was completely ignorant to this rule, I will be honest. Not that it means much to Everton to be honest. But for smaller clubs it is a good concept.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0327/862847-coleman/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I was completely ignorant to this rule, I will be honest. Not that it means much to Everton to be honest. But for smaller clubs it is a good concept.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0327/862847-coleman/

I knew someone had to compensate Everton to cover his wages but I always thought it was the FAI who had to do it. Even if it was cover a percentage of his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Coleman getting criminally underpaid at 50k per week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Serbia were atrocious against us. It was 2 points dropped rather than 1 gained.

paulie21 wrote: »
    Yep. I think he should be at a bigger club. Hopefully he returns to his best after the lay off.

• Advertisement

paulie21 wrote: »

It is circa the going rate at Everton to be fair for all the players. Coleman is obviously so loyal and happy with The Toffees for the chance they has given him so he is happy to turn down a few offers from Arsenal and there was talk that United made an offer around the Moyes era also.

I think he gets a few nixers on the side to supplement his income and help pay the bills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Brady will be captain tomorrow apparently....

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Wales dominated possession but I don't get where you think we were "lucky" from. I think we were unlucky in the end. We pressed hard and the ball was in their box a lot. We didn't get the bounce of the ball which would have presented a chance to score. Without ever playing with the creativity or composure that at our best we can produce in the 20 minutes that we dominated possession wise I thought we looked more likely to score than they did when they were on top.

When you here terms like "the bounce of the ball" you know its desperate times.

When did these occur and how many times did we have ball in their box in first 70 minutes?

We could have scored 2 in last 70 but with 1 man advsntage it would have been alarming to come away with at least that.

They were the better team till yhe sending off. We did not have a half decent chance till after 60minutes.

Now to be fair we were missing our 3 most creative and techincial players in Brady, Wes and Arter(who I think was big difference in Austria).

And thats not mention that Long and Whelan were also very lucky to be on the field too for 2nd half.

A point was good result considering the lack of spark in final 3rd we had.

Not sure about that, but sure agree to disagree

What do you think we deserved?

Pretty much what we got.

Serbia was a god chance for 3 points, but we fecked it up.

Deserved a draw v Wales.

Did what was needed to win v Georgia.

It was in its bollocks.

Jesus we were haunted to draw that game.

We were ones atrocious.

What do some of ye be watching?

http://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/season=2018/matches/round=2000717/match=2017779/statistics/

Here are stats from the game. 94 passes completed, they had more attempts, they even hit the woodwork.

Possession 59-41%
    Passes attempted 409-138
    Passes complete 371-94

And im the one talking Nonsense!!!

Imagine if they were average or decent eh???

What drugs are ye taking :D

What do you think we deserved?

I think we more than deserved a draw. We definitely didn't deserve to lose, given MON got his tactics as right as he could given the squad depletion situation.
    Welsh fans have slated Coleman for getting his tactics wrong and not taking advantage of a shielding midfield. He was very naive in some respects. MON has been praised by most for making the most out of the players at hand.

I think this was a must win game for Wales looking at the 4 "top" teams' fixtures ahead and although you aren't going to hear as much from the Welsh camp, their fans have all but conceded that their chances of making it and it will be them that will be lucky to progress, not us. So does that mak them a lucky team if they do so?

A bounce of the ball or a bit of a quicker stride and Walters could easily have nicked a goal in the first half so a Bale 25/30 yard shot out within the width of the post is just as unlucky.

IFS.BUTS.MAYBES. Perennial pointless arguments to bring to a debate.

The fact is we got a good point in a tough situation and we earned it by tactics, hard work and belief. And I admit we got lucky with a Welsh chance or 2 but so did they.

Overall we had an inferior attacking unit but that doesn't mean we were lucky to not lose. It means we earned the draw even moreso.

We have "possibly" helped take out the top seeds from the reckoning and our future fixtures run in our favour.

So you make your own luck from what you have at your disposal and MON clearly has this campaign thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I don't think we're lucky. We have always been a smart side who play the percentages. We're the opposite of a side that flatters to deceive. I'm not sure does that mean we deceive to flatter?

When you here terms like "the bounce of the ball" you know its desperate times.

When did these occur and how many times did we have ball in their box in first 70 minutes?

We could have scored 2 in last 70 but with 1 man advsntage it would have been alarming to come away with at least that.

They were the better team till yhe sending off. We did not have a half decent chance till after 60minutes.

Now to be fair we were missing our 3 most creative and techincial players in Brady, Wes and Arter(who I think was big difference in Austria).

And thats not mention that Long and Whelan were also very lucky to be on the field too for 2nd half.

A point was good result considering the lack of spark in final 3rd we had.
    When you make a silly comment it's best not to follow it up by digging yourself in deeper.

• Advertisement

Without ever playing with the creativity or composure that at our best we can produce in the 20 minutes that we dominated possession wise I thought we looked more likely to score than they did when they were on top.

That is is not true.

The closest anyone came was when Bale fired a shot that scraped the upright and they were down to 10 at that stage.

We were certainly the worse team in the Serbia and Wales games but I am not sure about lucky either. We were absolutely swamped in Serbia once we went a goal up though and it was great we were able to snap out of that mindset to get the qualsier after going down 2-1.

They were absolutely atrocious in the opening but we invited them on for the rest of the game and were penned in. In the end I felt it was an opportunity lost based on the first 20 but overall hard pushed to say Serbia didn't deserve a point.
    When you make a silly comment it's best not to follow it up by digging yourself in deeper.

He isn't far wrong though - you make it sound like we dominated them from start to finish with your "silly" remark. They had 60% of the ball and came closest to scoring.

Even McClean admitted Wales were better than us. They had most of the ball, had the best chance of the game - and certainly had more half chances than us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement