Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TheCitizen wrote: »
    When you make a silly comment it's best not to follow it up by digging yourself in deeper.

Great contribution.

Top class

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

11 points after 5 games. Joint top of the group. Played Austria & Serbia away. I'll take that. And everyone else should also take it. If we win all our remaining games 1 nil in scrappy encounters where we just edge it I'll be a happy man. We don't always need to be complaining. Enjoy being in this position, especially if as many are alluding to, we are there without playing good football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Great contribution.

Top class
    Sorry pal that post you made number 5880 on the thread is nonsensical. Maybe you're trying to be funny or something and failing.

noodler wrote: »

It was post 5880 that he made that was particularly silly.

Sorry pal that post you made number 5880 on the thread is nonsensical. Maybe you're trying to be funny or something and failing.

None of those games we controlled and to say that we be unlucky to have lost any of those would be head in the sand. Georgia should have been 2 up at half time against us.

I have already given stats on why we were lucky to get result in Serbia and we were second best against Wales(even players said it)

I mean if you could back it up then fair enough. But you cant. We will move on

• Advertisement

wardides wrote: »
    11 points after 5 games. Joint top of the group. Played Austria & Serbia away. I'll take that. And everyone else should also take it. If we win all our remaining games 1 nil in scrappy encounters where we just edge it I'll be a happy man. We don't always need to be complaining. Enjoy being in this position, especially if as many are alluding to, we are there without playing good football.

Yep we should be happy.

Its a result businness and I would rather win 1-0 lucky, then lose 5-4 classic.

Its not the style of football, its how effective we are, or should I say lack of it.

Even talking to supporters after the game and not one could say we deserved more then 1 point. Wales were nothing special, but still could have scored 1 or 2.

It was only when they had man sent off that we created 1 very good chance and 1 or 2 half ones

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The Serbia game was funny, either team could claim to be hard done by with a point. In our case because Serbia couldn't defend to save their lives and looks extremely fragile any time we actually attacked. Unfortunately we tried to sit a 1-0 lead and could have been punished as Serbia dominated us.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

When it was 11v 10 yes.

Did people miss the first 70 minutes?

Go on so, point out the Welsh chances in the first 70 minutes that we were lucky to not concede from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yep we should be happy.

Its a result businness and I would rather win 1-0 lucky, then lose 5-4 classic.

Its not the style of football, its how effective we are, or should I say lack of it.

Even talking to supporters after the game and not one could say we deserved more then 1 point. Wales were nothing special, but still could have scored 1 or 2.

It was only when they had man sent off that we created 1 very good chance and 1 or 2 half ones

There is a bit of a difference between deserving to win and deserving to lose though. We deserved neither from Friday. We very much deserved the draw, especially given the circumstances surrounding the game.

The point people are opposing is your suggestion that we deserved to lose or should have lost Friday. We didn't. We shouldn't have as we didn't concede nor were we under any concerted pressure either. A couple of long range efforts from Bale that were moreso down to his brilliance than our inadequacies or mistakes were their best chances of the game.

If Wales couldn't take advantage of the team and tactics we played they didn't deserve to win either. Especially considering the pressure they were under to win Friday.

None of those games we controlled and to say that we be unlucky to have lost any of those would be head in the sand. Georgia should have been 2 up at half time against us.

I have already given stats on why we were lucky to get result in Serbia and we were second best against Wales(even players said it)

I mean if you could back it up then fair enough. But you cant. We will move on
    You've always been anti MON, and will seek to find something to carp about. You're incapable of "moving on". Absolute gibberish out of ya, boring beyond belief.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Go on so, point out the Welsh chances in the first 70 minutes that we were lucky to not concede from.

First half I remember Williams had good chance from Corner.

Bale also gave a super pass from a asleep Coleman out of position and had forward better control he be 1 on 1 with keeper.

2nd half (first few min)Ramsey had decent chance but took bad touch but was open for decent shot on goal

Around 50th minute had free header where was weak attempt that should least hit target

Around 62 minute thet had wild shot drift wide of right post that their player should have done much better with.

Bale could have scored with 3 shots outside the box but I wont include those cause you cant defend class like that if they go in

You've always been anti MON, and will seek to find something to carp about. You're incapable of "moving on". Absolute gibberish out of ya, boring beyond belief.

I could say vice versa. At least I praise O Neill when he deserves it.

And another thing, just because they were down to 10 men, doesn't mean the last 20 minutes of the game should be discounted when referring to chances/pressure etc. Yes, there is context but sending offs are part of the game and what happens after is still part of the game.

So this whole, "forget about the last 70 minutes" cr*p is ridiculous.

Here are the "highlights" (loose term), but, in terms of the "clear chances" both teams could claim to have they certainly dont show we deserved to lose or win!

There is a bit of a difference between deserving to win and deserving to lose though. We deserved neither from Friday. We very much deserved the draw, especially given the circumstances surrounding the game.

The point people are opposing is your suggestion that we deserved to lose or should have lost Friday. We didn't. We shouldn't have as we didn't concede nor were we under any concerted pressure either. A couple of long range efforts from Bale that were moreso down to his brilliance than our inadequacies or mistakes were their best chances of the game.

If Wales couldn't take advantage of the team and tactics we played they didn't deserve to win either. Especially considering the pressure they were under to win Friday.

I maybe should watch the highlights of the Wales game, as I have seen nothing but highlight of the tackles.

But from being at the game and speaking to lads after the game, many thought we were lucky.

I do take your point on board though. Fair play for least backing yours

Why don't you praise him for Friday then. Anyone other than the self titled "purists" will tell you he deserves it.

Why don't you praise him for Friday then. Anyone other than the self titled "purists" will tell you he deserves it.

Praise for what though?

Praise for what though?

We had the inferior attacking team and were hampered by injuries to some of our most important starters, yet we nullified their offence by shielding the midfield and were disciplined with Bale also which not many teams are able to do. He can only work with what he had going forward.

Before the game I was hoping McGeady would start but looking back, despite all the media talk and appraisal and urging for him to do so, he went on instinct and, yes, it is clear he would have preferred not to lose than win but on balance of probabilities, Wales really should have been favourites at kickoff so playing Meyler was a good decision.

He should even be praised for deciding not to take chances on McCarthy a few minutes before kickoff despite him being arguably one of our best players post Belgium game.

What should he be criticised given our resources on show? I am not saying he is devoid of any criticism but his management Friday should be much more praised than criticised.

We don't have these fancy passers so our possession stats will always be low. MON can't magic these players out of nowhere.

The worm has turned pal. The anti MON brigade on here that was against him getting the Ireland job have become less and less vocal bar the odd bit of gibberish from the likes of you. All sensible Ireland supporters appreciate the job he's doing.

We had the inferior attacking team and were hampered by injuries to some of our most important starters, yet we nullified their offence by shielding the midfield and were disciplined with Bale also which not many teams are able to do. He can only work with what he had going forward.

Before the game I was hoping McGeady would start but looking back, despite all the media talk and appraisal and urging for him to do so, he went on instinct and, yes, it is clear he would have preferred not to lose than win but on balance of probabilities, Wales really should have been favourites at kickoff so playing Meyler was a good decision.

He should even be praised for deciding not to take chances on McCarthy a few minutes before kickoff despite him being arguably one of our best players post Belgium game.

What should he be criticised given our resources on show? I am not saying he is devoid of any criticism but his management Friday should be much more praised than criticised.

We don't have these fancy passers so our possession stats will always be low. MON can't magic these players out of nowhere.

We dont need fancy passers. Myler, Hendrick are very good passers of the ball. We just cant string few passes together without giving it straight back.

I dont care if we play long ball, im fine with long ball but its not effective.

I already praised O Neill today on his defensive work for both campaigns. But we still not going to win games by hoping for "the bounce of the ball" to go our way.

Actually would love to know where these "bounces" happened.

The worm has turned pal. The anti MON brigade on here that was against him getting the Ireland job have become less and less vocal bar the odd bit of gibberish from the likes of you. All sensible Ireland supporters appreciate the job he's doing.

Were you at the game?

And actually will you tell me also where these "bounces of the ball happened" seems like your still want chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A draw was probably the fair result and with all the players we had missing not a bad result.
    It was a dire game with very little quality.I think our best 11 would have made a much better job of taking the game to Wales and creating more chances.

We are undefeated and have played arguably our 2 toughest away games .

It wasn't pretty on Friday night but then I'm not sure it was expected to be.

We dont need fancy passers. Myler, Hendrick are very good passers of the ball. We just cant string few passes together without giving it straight back.

I dont care if we play long ball, im fine with long ball but its not effective.

I already praised O Neill today on his defensive work for both campaigns. But we still not going to win games by hoping for "the bounce of the ball" to go our way.

Actually would love to know where these "bounces" happened.

We are not going into games with this mindset. Are you really stipulating that MON is such a simple minded manager!
    You are really missing the point about tactics! If you want to lower yourself to an argument about tactics like that it is worth reminding you that to win a game you don't just have to score but prevent the other team scoring also and this isn't subbetteo, both oppositions have varied frailties and qualities! A manager has to work with both.

And Hendrick is nowhere near the level of a passer of Allen, Bale or Ramsey, and I am a big fan of Hendrick. He is a different player altogether.

We are not going into games with this mindset. Are you really stipulating that MON is such a simple minded manager!
    You are really missing the point about tactics! If you want to lower yourself to an argument about tactics like that it is worth reminding you that to win a game you don't just have to score but prevent the other team scoring also and this isn't subbetteo, both oppositions have varied frailties and qualities! A manager has to work with both.

And Hendrick is nowhere near the level of a passer of Allen, Bale or Ramsey, and I am a big fan of Hendrick. He is a different player altogether.

It was you and Citzen that mentioned "bounce of ball"!!!

And on Hendrick, he is a regular PL player now. Stop trying make out that he cant make forward passes. He not Ramsey or Bale, but he still a very good player.

You swear he was league 1 player or somthing

And on Hendrick, he is a regular PL player now. Stop trying make out that he cant make forward passes. He not Ramsey or Bale, but he still a very good player.

Yeah, because I said anywhere near that............ Christ, I give up.

1. I never said he couldn't play forward passes.
    2. I never said he wasn't a good player, said nothing like that.
    3. I do not swear he was a L1 player or something, he is far from it. He is playing at a merited level.

But ....but....but...... I did say he was nowhere near as good a passer than any of those 3 so playing a passing game does not suit us if you used examples like him and Meyler to curse us for not trying to do so.

If you want to manipulate people's posts to suit your agenda, go ahead. I am not playing though.

Yeah, because I said anywhere near that............ Christ, I give up.

1. I never said he couldn't play forward passes.
    2. I never said he wasn't a good player, said nothing like that.
    3. I do not swear he was a L1 player or something, he is far from it. He is playing at a merited level.

But ....but....but...... I did say he was nowhere near as good a passer than any of those 3 so playing a passing game does not suit us if you used examples like him and Meyler to curse us for not trying to do so.

If you want to manipulate people's posts to suit your agenda, go ahead. I am not playing though.

But...

The thing is you dont need be anywhere near their level to make forward passes.

Thats all.....

When I was talking about the bounce of the ball, I was talking about when Ireland were pressing late on they could easily have got a goal. Hennessey for example dropped a cross that came in. It fell backwards to safety it could've fell to one of our strikers. He has no control over where it bounced, the pressure we put on was beginning to get to him. If you were at the game you surely didn't miss that one. Hard to know what you were looking at given your comments on here, but perhaps you feel you must carp at every opportunity in keeping with your original error.

When I was talking about the bounce of the ball, I was talking about when Ireland were pressing late on they could easily have got a goal. Hennessey for example dropped a cross that came in. It fell backwards to safety it could've fell to one of our strikers. He has no control over where it bounced, the pressure we put on was beginning to get to him. If you were at the game you surely didn't miss that one. Hard to know what you were looking at given your comments on here, but perhaps you feel you must carp at every opportunity in keeping with your original error.

Still waiting on your "bounce of the ball" moments.
    Go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Sorry to go a bit off track here, but something that crossed my mind. Maybe mentioned before. Was thinking how a 5-4-1 formation would suit us so well. Maybe more a 5-3-1-1 formation. Coleman and Brady ideal for the wing back roles. (Unfortunately this formation is a little bit less attractive now with Coleman out).

Randolph

Keogh - O'Shea/Clark - Ward
    -Coleman
    Brady-
    Hendrick - Whelan - McClean

Hoolahan/Walters

Long

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Sorry to go a bit off track here, but something that crossed my mind. Maybe mentioned before. Was thinking how a 5-4-1 formation would suit us so well. Maybe more a 5-3-1-1 formation. Coleman and Brady ideal for the wing back roles. (Unfortunately this formation is a little bit less attractive now with Coleman out).

Randolph

Keogh - O'Shea/Clark - Ward
    -Coleman
    Brady-
    Hendrick - Whelan - McClean

Hoolahan/Walters

Long

Oh, trust me!! You shouldn't be sorry!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We clearly set out not to lose on Friday.

Needs must with the team perhaps but I'd have hoped we wouldn't have sat so deep and got a bi t more ball before the red card.

Still alive.

We clearly set out not to lose on Friday.

Needs must with the team perhaps but I'd have hoped we wouldn't have sat so deep and got a bi t more ball before the red card.

Still alive.

Same. I know we had be much more cautious, but it's when our Midfield 3 had the ball, we looked scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Forgive me if I'm wrong but was that Welsh side not the same 11 that lined out against Portugal in the last 4 and made a Belgium team that bet us with ease look like men v boys ? There ranked 12th in the world and we're desperate for a win and we denied them that if we done that to any of the other last 4 Portugal,Germany,France people would be ecstatic. Bit of positivity and less giving out would be great we're joint top half way through the group how many would have predicted that at the start of this campaign?
    Moving away
    Iceland tomorrow night would love to see Horgan,Houraine,O'Dowda,Egan and McGeadey get a full 90 mins many heading up to it ? Hoping there's not too many empty seats !!

Forgive me if I'm wrong but was that Welsh side not the same 11 that lined out against Portugal in the last 4 and made a Belgium team that bet us with ease look like men v boys ? There ranked 12th in the world and we're desperate for a win and we denied them that if we done that to any of the other last 4 Portugal,Germany,France people would be ecstatic. Bit of positivity and less giving out would be great we're joint top half way through the group how many would have predicted that at the start of this campaign?
    Iceland tomorrow night would love to see Horgan,Houraine,O'Dowda,Egan and McGeadey get a full 90 mins

They ain't no Portugal, Germany or France.

A good side with 1 world Class player, more then we have. The problem is not so much Wales it was our performance.

We never looked like scoring till sending off.

Moving away
    Iceland tomorrow night would love to see Horgan,Houraine,O'Dowda,Egan and McGeadey get a full 90 mins many heading up to it ? Hoping there's not too many empty seats !!

I don't think anyone can be too unhappy with 11 points but we need to take each game as it comes not be happy with our lot.

We almost certainly need to beat Austria and Serbia at home if we need to finish stop. I hope we can attack a little bit more when required even if missing one or two. That's the main point being made.

I don't think anyone can be too unhappy with 11 points but we need to take each game as it comes not be happy with our lot.

We almost certainly need to beat Austria and Serbia at home if we need to finish stop. I hope we can attack a little bit more when required even if missing one or two. That's the main point being made.

No we don't, if you study the remaining fixtures of all the teams. 4 points from those games could be enough to finish top, hopefully the 3 coming against Serbia. So while a draw at home to Austria would not be a good result if we are chasing top, it most certainly won't end any hopes of a top finish. A defeat would be a very bad result though if we are chasing even top 2 position, but again won't define our destiny

Remaining fixtures:

Wales:

away to Serbia
    home to Austria
    away to Moldova
    away to Georgia
    home to Ireland

Serbia

home to Wales
    home to Moldova
    away to Ireland
    away to Austria
    home to Georgia

Austria

away to Ireland
    away to Wales
    home to Austria
    home to Serbia

Ireland

home to Austria
    away to Georgia (not an easy game )
    home to Serbia
    home to Moldova
    "away" to the Cardiff Cauldron in Wales (my point being home advantage for the Welsh is far from daunting nor was home advantage that daunting for them I think Friday, except for the last 20 minutes)

So, if you look at those fixtures and the fact that the others will no doubt take points from eachother , unless we really mess this up, we should be very confident of a top 2 and confident that we can take top spot.

So the pressure entering our final fixtures are nullified by the fact that they are fixtures that we have every reason to think we have a realistic chance of 6 points if we have a full squad (obviously minus Coleman, sadly) ...........and maybe there is a relatively good chance Wales may be out of the reckoning by then anyway. Here is hoping.

That final Austria at home to Serbia match could be a group decider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Serbia were marginally better team against us and had way better chances second half

Georgia were very unlucky and deserved at least a Point in the Aviva

Moldova game was a fair result

Austria deserved to lose against us

Wales created very little against us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

1 First half I remember Williams had good chance from Corner.

2 Bale also gave a super pass from a asleep Coleman out of position and had forward better control he be 1 on 1 with keeper.

3 2nd half (first few min)Ramsey had decent chance but took bad touch but was open for decent shot on goal

4 Around 50th minute had free header where was weak attempt that should least hit target

5 Around 62 minute thet had wild shot drift wide of right post that their player should have done much better with.

6 Bale could have scored with 3 shots outside the box but I wont include those cause you cant defend class like that if they go in

1 The ref blew for a foul on the 'keeper when Williams had that header. And even if he hadn't, it was a contested header from a corner that Williams sent wide - that's a very low percentage chance.

2 Taylor didn't even control Bale's pass, never mind getting a shot away. It's exaggeration to call that a good chance. It could have been a good one if the pass had connected, but it didn't.

3 Ah come on now. Ramsey miscontrolled a knock-down from a header just inside the box, with three defenders in front of him and one closing in from behind and then JOS tackled him a moment later. That is barely a half chance.

4 It was a free header, but it was 14 yards out and there were three or four Irish players between him and the goal. It would have been a spectacular header to score from that.

5 A snap shot on the half turn with JOS right on top of him and another four defenders behind that. He did well to get a shot away at all.

6 You shouldn't include them because they weren't good chances. Speculative efforts from 30+ yards out with plenty of defenders in front of them very rarely go in, no matter who is shooting.

To describe us as being lucky to have not conceded from any of these chances is fanciful. If that really was lucky then most games would be finishing 7-5 each week.

No we don't, if you study the remaining fixtures of all the teams. 4 points from those games could be enough to finish top, hopefully the 3 coming against Serbia. So while a draw at home to Austria would not be a good result if we are chasing top, it most certainly won't end any hopes of a top finish. A defeat would be a very bad result though if we are chasing even top 2 position, but again won't define our destiny

I don't see Wales getting anything in Serbia without Bale.

That puts Serbia +3 and requiring us to win against Austria to keep up.

Skipping the Georgia (which is far from a given) we then need to beat Serbia to get ahead of them as their goal difference will be stronger.

I don't see Austria causing Serbia problems in the game in Belgrade either.

So I'd stand by the point that we'll likely need to beat Austria and Serbia at home to finish top.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Skipping the Georgia (which is far from a given) we then need to beat Serbia to get ahead of them as their goal difference will be stronger.

So I'd stand by the point that we'll likely need to beat Austria and Serbia at home to finish top.

Doesn't goal difference not matter and rather it is away goals? So a 1-1 draw would keep us ahead of them? A win against Serbia could put us out of sight.

Edit: just checked and that's an UEFA only rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Moving away

On reflection I would second this. With Bale being their key threat we couldn't afford to have them hitting us on the counter attack.

I was actually more worried about losing the game when they were playing with ten and we left more space for Bale to run at us.

If it was an open game I think Wales would have beaten us. International football is a lot more conservative anyway and if Martin was too adventurous with the players at his disposal on Friday and we got caught early on it could have been very messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Doesn't goal difference not matter and rather it is away goals? So a 1-1 draw would keep us ahead of them? A win against Serbia could put us out of sight.

Edit: just checked and that's an UEFA only rule

Thought it was H2H myself but was wrong. Madness, H2H makes so much sense especially in such small groups.

Serbia also still have to play Austria away.

You don't see "this happening" and you don't see "that happening". Fair play to ya Nostradamus. We'll see what actually happens soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭josip

They'll probably start Gavrilo Princip up front for that game.

He didn't see that one coming, he thought that one was to be played in Belgrade.

Ah, I thought it was actually in Belgrade.
    You don't see "this happening" and you don't see "that happening". Fair play to ya Nostradamus. We'll see what actually happens soon enough.

Jesus Christ, perhaps a football message board isn't for you?

Is this back to MON again? Obsessed you are.

Predicting the likely outcome of games is a fairly common affair.

It can't all be about "bounce of the ball" or other such nonsense.

This is worst football thread on boards.

If you differ in opinion then you're not "real fan" or "Anti O Neill".

This was one of the best threads before Friday. IBS ( international break syndrome ) kicked in and posters went into a rage !

It will settle down soon I anticipate

Ah, I thought it was actually in Belgrade.

Do you think that may give cause to revise your predictions Nostradamus?
    Is this back to MON again?
    For you and one or two others around here I think it's always about MON and how wrong you were when you railed against him getting the job in the first place. Ever since, even though the results have been very good and performances at times good also, you'll still find ways to moan and carp. Quite pathetic really.

Any luck with those "bounce of the ball" moments?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement