Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Any luck with those "bounce of the ball" moments?
    Not much point in spelling stuff out to you, you don't even read it when it is spelled out to you. It appears to sail over your head, but it's your agenda that's driving you anyway.

This is worst football thread on boards.

If you differ in opinion then you're not "real fan" or "Anti O Neill".
    You're pal Noodler just called me a MON fan, not an Ireland fan:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Any luck with those "bounce of the ball" moments?

It wasn't me who said it. Give it a rest. Why don't you just stop looking for an argument! Because I am not entertaining it!

Thought that was directed at me. I'll leave it there.

Can we

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A bounce of the ball or a bit of a quicker stride and Walters could easily have nicked a goal .

Yes ye both said it like above, although thankfully it was just the once.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Not much point in spelling stuff out to you, you don't even read it when it is spelled out to you. It appears to sail over your head, but it's your agenda that's driving you anyway.

Still waiting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I was being sarcastic as you were making out that 30 yard efforts from Bale were chances as opposed to efforts . You seem to have your own definition of a chancr to suit your agenda. I was pointing out that if you want to bring ifs and buts and maybes to the argument anyone can.

Just give it a rest. All you want here is an argument, an argument you know full well is going nowhere.

I said I was not including those Bale efforts as chances when replying to another poster.

But ya you were being sarcastic.

Ok...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

You look at all of Ireland's remaining fixtures and the home game against Moldova is the only one we can be pretty certain of winning and defeat in any one of the other games I think would screw us. So it's so hard to predict still. I'm fairly sure Austria will finish 4th but 1st to 3rd could go any way. We definitely have the most difficult final game of the 4 teams (even if Wales are out of it by then)

I think we'll finish 2nd but I don't predict that with much conviction. I can't see Serbia losing any other game other than at the Aviva hopefully so we can't lose any game and we have to beat Serbia to finish top IMO. Serbia's last game is at home to Georgia and we have to be ahead of them by 3 points going into that I feel.

When we went 2-1 down against Serbia away, we showed that their defense is shaky enough. So we have to take some more risks than we did last Friday when we play them in September. Be delighted to be still level on points with them going into that game.

Still waiting....
    Sure I answered that ages ago 5937. Try to keep up pal.

• Advertisement

Serbia still have to go to Austria and us.

Still all to play for

Serbia still have to go to Austria and and us.

Still all to play for

I know. Austria won't beat them though.

I'd be as worried about the away game against Georgia as any of the others too. Especially with Serbia having the handy one at home to Moldova at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Laois_Man wrote: »
    You look at all of Ireland's remaining fixtures and the home game against Moldova is the only one we can be pretty certain of winning and defeat in any one of the other games I think would screw us. So it's so hard to predict still. I'm fairly sure Austria will finish 4th but 1st to 3rd could go any way. We definitely have the most difficult final game of the 4 teams (even if Wales are out of it by then)

I think we'll finish 2nd but I don't predict that with much conviction. I can't see Serbia losing any other game other than at the Aviva hopefully so we can't lose any game and we have to beat Serbia to finish top IMO. Serbia's last game is at home to Georgia and we have to be ahead of them by 3 points going into that I feel.

When we went 2-1 down against Serbia away, we showed that their defense is shaky enough. So we have to take some more risks than we did last Friday when we play them in September. Be delighted to be still level on points with them going into that game.

This is needlessly negative. I'd say we've the easiest run in in the group with 3/5 games at home including Serbia which could be the crunch tie.

And it's difficult to call our defense shaky considering it's amazing record over two campaigns now, especially considering how much possession we usually concede. I'd say management have got tactics pretty spot on considering our fairly limited technical ability. In an ideal world we'd like to see expansive tactics but it simply doesn't play to our strengths.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    This is needlessly negative. I'd say we've the easiest run in in the group with 3/5 games at home including Serbia which could be the crunch tie.

And it's difficult to call our defense shaky considering it's amazing record over two campaigns now, especially considering how much possession we usually concede. I'd say management have got tactics pretty spot on considering our fairly limited technical ability. In an ideal world we'd like to see expansive tactics but it simply doesn't play to our strengths.

There's nothing negative in the post. I didn't say our defense was shaky. I said "When we went 2-1 down against Serbia away, we showed that their defense is shaky enough."

Serbia also have 3/5 games at home and 2 of them are against the bottom 2 sides and the other against a now Bale-less Wales. Think it's very possible they'll get 9 points there. Certainly 7. Still think Ireland is the only game they might lose and I can't see us winning the group without winning that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If we can just beat Moldova and Georgia we'll be on 17 points.

17 points won't be far off second spot and guaranteed play off.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Laois_Man wrote: »
    There's nothing negative in the post. I didn't say our defense was shaky. I said "When we went 2-1 down against Serbia away, we showed that their defense is shaky enough."

Serbia also have 3/5 games at home and 2 of them are against the bottom 2 sides and the other against a now Bale-less Wales. Think it's very possible they'll get 9 points there. Certainly 7. Still think Ireland is the only game they might lose and I can't see us winning the group without winning that game.

Everyone should be beating Moldova and Georgia home and away If they've any aspirations of reaching the finals. So I'd prefer to have the more difficult ties at home which we have 2/3. Don't know if mentioned but Austria are missing Arnautovic against us, who's their top scorer in qualifying so far and only shining light in a poor campaign.

Apols misread the shaky comment, but point still stands if we overly open up against them and take them on we're playing into their hands imo as they've got technically superior players who'll relish a more open game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Do you think that may give cause to revise your predictions Nostradamus?

For you and one or two others around here I think it's always about MON and how wrong you were when you railed against him getting the job in the first place. Ever since, even though the results have been very good and performances at times good also, you'll still find ways to moan and carp. Quite pathetic really.

What??

Jesus you are inventing things now.

Good results don't stop critical discussion of performances.

There must something deep rooted in your admiration of MON if you resort to these types of paranoid delusions just because someone dared to say Ireland played conservatively on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

I know Wales are missing Bale and Taylor for Serbia game but they are a very defensive side that will be hard break down your not out till your out and its still possibile for them to qualify small chance but there is still a chance hoping the draw masteros can do us a favour and share the points with the Serbs . Austria and Georgia could both cause upsets with Serbia too so theres nothing given with them either pitty Georgia didnt sink that second sitter friday night to go 2-0 up. All we can do is take it game by game and hope and pray for 3 points against Austria .

I know Wales are missing Bale and Taylor for Serbia game but they are a very defensive side that will be hard break down your not out till your out and its still possibile for them to qualify small chance but there is still a chance hoping the draw masteros can do us a favour and share the points with the Serbs . Austria and Georgia could both cause upsets with Serbia too so theres nothing given with them either pitty Georgia didnt sink that second sitter friday night to go 2-0 up. All we can do is take it game by game and hope and pray for 3 points against Austria .

Absolute sitter that second one - was devestated.

Agreed though - Wales will be all but out if they lose so hopefully will be able to get something.

noodler wrote: »
    What??

Jesus you are inventing things now.

Inventing things? No unfortunately not. Before MON got offered the job as Ireland manager there was a thread here where a lot of posters exposed themselves. Not sure you were one of them but your pal the Kew Tour was as I recall.
    Good results don't stop critical discussion of performances.

There must something deep rooted in your admiration of MON if you resort to these types of paranoid delusions just because someone dared to say Ireland played conservatively on Friday night.
    I don't think anyone suggested that we played anything other than conservatively the other night. A bit like the Kew Tour, you shift the goalposts in your discussion when it suits. He started out by saying we were "lucky" in all 3 games v Wales, Serbia and Georgia to get two draws and a win. He then shifted his position somewhat and is still blathering on with you in tow. There's no point discussing anything further with you when you're just going to be dishonest as well as clueless in your comments.

Inventing things? No unfortunately not. Before MON got offered the job as Ireland manager there was a thread here where a lot of posters exposed themselves. Not sure you were one of them but your pal the Kew Tour was as I recall.

I don't think anyone suggested that we played anything other than conservatively the other night. A bit like the Kew Tour, you shift the goalposts in your discussion when it suits. He started out by saying we were "lucky" in all 3 games v Wales, Serbia and Georgia to get two draws and a win. He then shifted his position somewhat and is still blathering on with you in tow. There's no point discussing anything further with you when you're just going to be dishonest as well as clueless in your comments.

Please stop talking about me in other posts.

Post to me directly. I have answered any poster who has asked me a question. You have not.

Now cut out the crap and move on

• Advertisement

So you agree Ireland played conservatively after all?

What basis do you have for calling my comments "clueless"?

Leaving aside other posters for a moment.

Please stop talking about me in other posts.

Post to me directly. I have answered any poster who has asked me a question. You have not.

Now cut out the crap and move on
    Cut the crap he says, would ya look at what's talking. Here we go again shifting the goalposts. Point out to me where I have not.

Cut the crap he says, would ya look at what's talking. Here we go again shifting the goalposts. Point out to me where I have not.

Show me the where I'm moving the goal posts ? Or **** off

I asked you one question and you still not have answered it. You're full of ****

So you agree Ireland played conservatively after all?
    I never said any different.
    What basis do you have for calling my comments "clueless"?
    You've been arguing and nitpicking for days at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Can we drink pissy Carlsberg in the ground tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Sooooooo game tonight is there? Doyle will more than likely play which is rather pointless going foward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Trond wrote: »
    Can we drink pissy Carlsberg in the ground tonight?

Finally back on topic!

Yes we can, beer in plastic cups.
    But not back at our seats of course. :pac:

Here's hoping for a good atmosphere tonight, and a few newer lads making a push for places in the team.

Show me the where I'm moving the goal posts ? Or **** off

I asked you one question and you still not have answered it. You're full of ****
    I answered the question but you fail to see it or get it. And yes you did move the goalposts from your nonsensical post 5880 on the thread. You didn't acknowledge that it was a silly comment which it was you just spent several posts after that trying to justify and then backtrack from it. You appear to have an axe to grind about O'Neill ever getting the job in the first place and come across as dishonest in your posts. You getting angry is a good sign that you've been rumbled.

Finally back on topic!

Yes we can, beer in plastic cups.
    But not back at our seats of course. :pac:

Here's hoping for a good atmosphere tonight, and a few newer lads making a push for places in the team.

Buy the bottles instead, bring a couple of spare caps and you'll get them to your seat no problem.....

Looking forward to seeing the new lads tonight.

Should be good game I think.

• Advertisement

Well if that's a answer:pac::pac::pac:

Thanks for proving it:pac:

Bye now
    Great comeback pal:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

In two minds about going .... will the feckin trumpets be there again? That could be the deciding factor...

Do we think there will be any uncapped players in the starting 11? Hourihane could get the nod in midfield in the absence of Whelan & McCarthy.

At least it was one

:pac::pac::pac:

Cheerio now x
    "At least it was one":pac:

ahlookit wrote: »
    In two minds about going .... will the feckin trumpets be there again? That could be the deciding factor...

Do we think there will be any uncapped players in the starting 11? Hourihane could get the nod in midfield in the absence of Whelan & McCarthy.
    What's up with the trumpets. That needs to stop.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hope Horgan gets a run out

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

.:pac:
    You're not the bloke with the trumpet by any chance

GLaDOS wrote: »

He should start imo. His form deserves a start. He could be needed with a injury or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

GLaDOS wrote: »

Horgan and Hourihane should get first caps.

Maybe even Boyle or Egan could get a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

How come the bar was open on friday night? It's not usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

monkey9 wrote: »
    How come the bar was open on friday night? It's not usually.

Change in FIFA rules I think someone mentioned a few pages back.

Two muppets sitting beside me on Friday night drank cans all through the first half, loudly declared they were going for pints at half time and only came back to their seats after Coleman was stretchered off. What a waste of two tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Is tonight's game live on TV? All I can see is a highlights programme on RTE2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Is tonight's game live on TV? All I can see is a highlights programme on RTE2.

It's live on eir sport 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

ahlookit wrote: »
    Change in FIFA rules I think someone mentioned a few pages back.

Two muppets sitting beside me on Friday night drank cans all through the first half, loudly declared they were going for pints at half time and only came back to their seats after Coleman was stretchered off. What a waste of two tickets.
    Was it premium level? As you can see the match fine from behind the glass window and enjoy your drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭prodsc

Trumpet v Thunderclap tonight!

FFS just seen a pic of the "band" warming up!!!

Piss off FAI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Westwood,
    Christie,Pearce,Egan,Brady,
    McGeady,Hendrick,Hourihane,Hayes,
    McClean,Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Good to see Egan & Hourihane start. They both are good enough to be decent options going forward. Bit disappointed that Hayes was picked ahead of Horgan. Hayes is almost 30 now & think it'd be better to start Horgan.
    Fully get Doyle starting, he has travelled over & back from America for lots of games and not got a minute. Deserves a start, as we have no other strikers apart from Long available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Adam Rooney's never going to get a chance is he? Think he and Sean Maguire would be better options up front than Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

This is the Iceland team:
    GK Ögmundur Kristinsson
    Df :Birkir Mar Sævarsson, Sverrir Ingi Ingason, Ragnar Sigurdsson and Lily Bergen Magnusson
    Midfield: Rurik Gislason, Olafur Ingi Skulason, Aron Einar Gunnarsson and Aaron Sigurðarson
    Attack: Kjartan Henry Finnbogason and Jon Dadi Böðvarsson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

U19s 1-0 up away to Belgium at halftime. With Italy and Sweden currently drawing the lads are currently qualifying

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement