Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thought Hendrick was fairly poor over the 2 games, he seems to have regressed since the Euros. Anyone seen much of him at Burnley? Against Wales he always seemed to be pointing back to the CB's when another midfielder was looking to him for a pass instead of trying to get free or move into space to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Up at game last night poor stuff out of us until the last 20. Doyle is finished hasn't the legs can't understand why Adam Rooney isn't getting a look in especially with our lack of options. O'Dowda,O'Kane and Horgan(especially) impressed me I'd definitely have him ahead of McGeady regardless of his form for Preston, hopefully these lads will get more game time against Mexico and Uruaguy before the Austria game. Our to fullbacks pretty much pick themselves for the Austria game Christie and Ward, Brady has to be in midfield he's our best player! I think if Brady,Arther,McClean,Walters and McCarthy are all fit we will get a result here,Long shouldn't start id like to see them play Walters up top I'd also drop Hendricks way rather Meyler atm, at least then you've Wes,Long,Horgan on the bench would be a huge boost from an attacking sense and good ole Glenn Whealan to come on and defend a 1-0 lead if we do go ahead pure MON tactic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

ricero wrote: »
    Was at the game last night and left shortly after the 70 minute. Utter utter tripe. Will this country ever try play football by keeping the ball on the deck. Iceland looked light years ahead of us in the way they were passing it around. Nothing against o neill he has done well so far but its not a pretty watch

Not to be rude but why would you leave when half the team was changed and it was a great chance to see the likes of Horgan make his debut. Even the likes of O Dowda, O Kane and Gleeson.

Why bother going. You knew we weren't going to be a pretty team to watch but the attraction for me would be to see the likes of these lads

And why bother tell us!! It isn't some badge of honour or standing of revolution to leave a game because the team isn't pleasing on the eye!

Maybe you needed to accommodate transport plans but you didn't say so so I can't assume this! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not to be rude but why would you leave when half the team was changed and it was a great chance to see the likes of Horgan make his debut. Even the likes of O Dowda, O Kane and Gleeson.

Why bother going. You knew we weren't going to be a pretty team to watch but the attraction for me would be to see the likes of these lads
    And why bother tell us!! It isn't some badge of honour or standing of revolution to leave a game because the team isn't pleasing on the eye!

Maybe you needed to accommodate transport plans but you didn't say so so I can't assume this! !

You know this is a Republic of Ireland football discussion thread, right?

Why are you trying to stifle any discussion of the team's performances that doesn't tally with your own?

Yeah, because you have been the Prince of Respecting others' Opinions on the thread so far.......

The post wasn't directed at you so stop the heroic interventions. My post makes perfect sense and is far from taking the thread off course like all of my posts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Our Midfield, no matter who is in it, is there to pressure and force their opposite numbers into mistakes. Our midfield does not produce possession football or creative play. Never has done. So you can follow a dream that the same personnel suddenly will become Xavi Alonso or you can comment on reality.

Hyperbole at it's finest.

I am not for one second suggesting we should play total possession football but we can certainly try play some through balls and short passes on occassion rather than entirely relying on crosses into the box. The Wales match and last night were much worse than usual which is why I'm hoping that Wes and Arter not being in the team was the cause.

We were solid at the back and did great defensive work it midfield but we created absolutely nothing in both matches and never looked like scoring. It's worrying and may only get worse with the lack of striker options we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

well i did leave to get the earlier dart home and because i was bored beyond belief.

Was pleased for Horgan and he got a good reception but the football was very very poor and the tactics were baffling. One thing i learned is that this team has no squad depth and kevin doyle should never play in a ireland shirt again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Kingp35 wrote: »

I am not for one second suggesting we should play total possession football but we can certainly try play some through balls and short passes on occassion rather than entirely relying on crosses into the box.

We do, it's why Wes is on the pitch. We play short passing occassionly in midfield but it isn't really playing to our strengths with a crosser like brady and a fullback cum winger like Coleman available outside of the midfield. Brady, Coleman, McClean and Long are four players of better creative quality than what we have in the middle so we build our attacking strategy around them.

We try to turn the midfield largely into a "dead zone" where we don't hurt the opposition much but they don't hurt us much either. If we played that way with Roy Keane in the team it would be stupid but we don't have dominant sharp passing midfielders. We have Whelan, Arter, McCarthy, Meyler, Hendrick; Players that don't score goals at club or international level but are a nuisance to play against.

With Coleman injured and Christie such a pale comparison as a replacement we probably will have to think of a new way to score goals which may see us try to play through the middle more.

But I don't get this responsibility our fans seem to think we should have to play differently to a way that got us to joint top of the group and qualified us for the last 16 of the Euros only to be narrowly beaten by the hosts. Its odd, odd thinking for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

We do, it's why Wes is on the pitch. We play short passing occassionly in midfield but it isn't really playing to our strengths with a crosser like brady and a fullback cum winger like Coleman available outside of the midfield. Brady, Coleman, McClean and Long are four players of better creative quality than what we have in the middle so we build our attacking strategy around them.

We try to turn the midfield largely into a "dead zone" where we don't hurt the opposition much but they don't hurt us much either. If we played that way with Roy Keane in the team it would be stupid but we don't have dominant sharp passing midfielders. We have Whelan, Arter, McCarthy, Meyler, Hendrick; Players that don't score goals at club or international level but are a nuisance to play against.

With Coleman injured and Christie such a pale comparison as a replacement we probably will have to think of a new way to score goals which may see us try to play through the middle more.

But I don't get this responsibility our fans seem to think we should have to play differently to a way that got us to joint top of the group and qualified us for the last 16 of the Euros only to be narrowly beaten by the hosts. Its odd, odd thinking for me.

Pretty much the only way we have been scoring goals/creating chances lately, has been Wes. Wales/Iceland highlighted (again) how bereft we are of invention in the middle of the park.

On a side note, we have one of the sh!ttest forward lines in decades, which obviously doesn't help when it comes to goals. You can whip in as many world class crosses/dead balls as you want, but if you're minus a clinical striker, then there's an element of futility to it.

ricero wrote: »

well i did leave to get the earlier dart home and because i was bored beyond belief.

Was pleased for Horgan and he got a good reception but the football was very very poor and the tactics were baffling. One thing i learned is that this team has no squad depth and kevin doyle should never play in a ireland shirt again

Fair enough and that is logical! I'm just saying it would have made sense to stick around if you could to see those lads as I'm sure you would.

If Noodler wants to try be a moderator and pull me up for that opinion as if I'm stifling the thread when it's him often bickering for the sake of it that is rich.

All my posts here over months and months have been respectful and related to the team so I'm not going to entertain such cr#p.

I envisage that will be Doyles last outing, hopefully we will magic a striker out of thin air to support the 2 lads.

Anyway wasn't having go!

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Pretty much the only way we have been scoring goals/creating chances lately, has been Wes. Wales/Iceland highlighted (again) how bereft we are of invention in the middle of the park.

Not really, Wes had no involvement in both goals versus Serbia or the goal vs Georgia. All those goals came off crosses/wing play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Our best games under O Neill have been

Germany Home
    Bosnia Home
    Sweden Euros
    Italy Euros
    France 1st half Euros
    Austria away in this campaign

In those 6 games we played sensible football. We played long balls, but we also created chances, and won set pieces through middle and out wide, and our Midfield were a match for the opposition.

I can take a bad day at the office eg Belgium, as we have not got good enough players to play well everyday, but for people to think we dont have the Technical Qualities to match a Iceland is imo wrong.

Just my 2c

11 points from 5 games is good return, but we need a 4 point return from Serbia and Austria, we are more then capable of it, not sure our mindset will reward that. We will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

When we play one up front, they just seem isolated chasing hopeless balls.
    It worked better when we had both Long and Murphy up front.

If we play only 1 upfront, and 3 midfielders, at least one midfielder should be "creative".
    Although what is creative is subjective, Meyler, Whelan and Hendrick the last day was not creative.
    Maybe Hendrick somewhat, but he seems a bit of out of form recently.

Not really, Wes had no involvement in both goals versus Serbia or the goal vs Georgia. All those goals came off crosses/wing play.

True.

But did score versus Sweden, setup the goal for Brady Vs Italy and then of course the fantastic Austria through ball as mentioned. Did he also put Long through versus Moldova? I can't remember.

We do seem utterly reliant on a moment of magic from Wes or the aforementioned crosses.

I honestly thought Doyle worked his ass off last night! Not a popular opinion and certainly not making a case for him going forward or anything but living off scraps and running channels and throwing himself at every long ball. Thankless task.

• Advertisement

Agree, I think Wes deserves his place in the first XI at this stage.
    shame he was injured for this week.

noodler wrote: »
    True.

But did score versus Sweden, setup the goal for Brady Vs Italy and then of course the fantastic Austria through ball as mentioned. Did he also put Long through versus Moldova? I can't remember.

We do seem utterly reliant on a moment of magic from Wes or the aforementioned crosses.

Yep, Wes and crosses is how we score goals and with Coleman gone one of those methods just got a hell of a lot harder. Its not like Shane long is ever going to beat two players and finish or score a rocket from 25 yards. Loads of teams get out jail with brilliant individual feats of magic and we aren't able to do that. We do very very well with what we have.

I'd love to know has any team playing against us thought or tried overloading the wings and forcing us to play through the middle. Be interesting.

What a strange article
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/associate-of-irish-international-soccer-star-is-suspected-of-luring-victim-25-to-shooting-35575042.html

An associate of an Irish soccer star is suspected of luring somebody to be attacked.
    Article doesn't explain how him knowing this Irish soccer star is even relevant, and also does not name the soccer star.

What a strange article
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/associate-of-irish-international-soccer-star-is-suspected-of-luring-victim-25-to-shooting-35575042.html

An associate of an Irish soccer star is suspected of luring somebody to be attacked.
    Article doesn't explain how him knowing this Irish soccer star is even relevant, and also does not name the soccer star.

If its true who I was told it was its not been stopping him.

In saying that its only buddy, its not like he did it himself, just papers trying stur up a story more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Guilty by association is what they're trying to stir up.

I dunno, someone in the national setup must have upset the Indo lately and this is some attempt at laying into them. It's a pathetic article. A young lad is shot and they try to make it into a story slating an Irish footballer.

• Advertisement

Fair enough and that is logical! I'm just saying it would have made sense to stick around if you could to see those lads as I'm sure you would.

If Noodler wants to try be a moderator and pull me up for that opinion as if I'm stifling the thread when it's him often bickering for the sake of it that is rich.

All my posts here over months and months have been respectful and related to the team so I'm not going to entertain such cr#p.

I envisage that will be Doyles last outing, hopefully we will magic a striker out of thin air to support the 2 lads.

Anyway wasn't having go!

You were out of line, you apologised - leave it at that.

Maybe not differently - maybe thats too strong a word.

Clinton Morrison and Packie Bonner were both lamenting the lack of chances created in two home games (they mentioned one on target in two games which I assume is accurate) but they weren't advocating a seachange.

Just a little more initiative - taking a chance.

Back in the successful first and secon campaigns under Trap there was certainly calls for him to adjust his style a bit, to push on from the defensive solidity we had then established. Nothing drastic, maybe Wes, or getting full-backs forward.

The analysis in reaction to this on the RTE panel was interesting, Brady (obviously involved in the setup at the time) was essentially hyperbolic in his response by saying why would we go gung-ho when Trap's approach was getting us results - Giles would reasonably point out that its only minor tweaks himself and Dunphy were advocating.

You were out of line, you apologised - leave it at that.

Thanks for patronising me. Glad we can move on now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm happy with the result and the performance on Friday. I think not losing to Wales, Austria and Serbia is priority and go for Georgia and Moldova. Hopefully the others can take points off each other. Losing Coleman is huge but Christie is probably the best reserve we have. For whom we were missing on Friday, we did well. James McClean was an absolute beast on Friday.

Last night was a run-out, or at least I hope there wasn't much thought put into it as the performance was poor. I was impressed with Horgan and O'Dowda when they came on. I was disappointed to see Kevin Doyle play the whole match but perhaps he was promised that to come over from the US. I don't think Martin O'Neill can learn anything from playing him, whereas I would have preferred to see someone like McGuire (if he gets capped, he'd be the first Kilkennyman since 1937 to get one) or McEleney up front to see if they could be a realistic option in the future. I thought Westwood was bad for the freekick and he had another moment of madness outside the box in the second half.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'm happy with the result and the performance on Friday. I think not losing to Wales, Austria and Serbia is priority and go for Georgia and Moldova. Hopefully the others can take points off each other. Losing Coleman is huge but Christie is probably the best reserve we have. For whom we were missing on Friday, we did well. James McClean was an absolute beast on Friday.

Last night was a run-out, or at least I hope there wasn't much thought put into it as the performance was poor. I was impressed with Horgan and O'Dowda when they came on. I was disappointed to see Kevin Doyle play the whole match but perhaps he was promised that to come over from the US. I don't think Martin O'Neill can learn anything from playing him, whereas I would have preferred to see someone like McGuire (if he gets capped, he'd be the first Kilkennyman since 1937 to get one) or McEleheney up front to see if they could be a realistic option in the future. I thought Westwood was bad for the freekick and he had another moment of madness outside the box in the second half.

I didn't like his positioning for the FK. Its a common sight these days that keepers practically touch the far post as a starting position and leave far too big a gap.

Not that I anticipate O' Neill will alter his structure at this stage but a team like this could work going forward.

3 man central defence. (Keogh/Duffy can play right back so them on the right side, Clarke in centre and Ward on left. Christie on the right, even Walters is well able to cover the lines, as shown against Wales. ; Brady left wing, full licence to go forward and well able to cover the lines also, as is his instinct. ; Hendrick, McCarthy, Mclean/Arter and Wes in midfield with obviously one pushed forward and Long up fron.

................................. ....RANDOLPH

Keogh/Duffy......Clarke........Ward

..............Walters/Christie.........................Brady

............. .....Hendrick McCarthy McClean (obviously Arter an option)

..............................-Wes/McGeady

................................... Long

As I said, probably never happening, and you can't blame MON but I think it sets up well and accomodates Coleman's loss going forward a little bit as Christie does not have that ability to just push a button and go like Coleman, he is more like Ward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Last night was a run-out, or at least I hope there wasn't much thought put into it as the performance was poor. I was impressed with Horgan and O'Dowda when they came on. I was disappointed to see Kevin Doyle play the whole match but perhaps he was promised that to come over from the US. I don't think Martin O'Neill can learn anything from playing him, whereas I would have preferred to see someone like McGuire (if he gets capped, he'd be the first Kilkennyman since 1937 to get one) or McEleheney up front to see if they could be a realistic option in the future. I thought Westwood was bad for the freekick and he had another moment of madness outside the box in the second half.

I'd say it was only a run out for lads as the team selection seemed a bit baffling. Our best attacking player on the night was at left full, while he still puts in a good performance from left full he's wasted back there compared to playing further forward and would have been nice to try another lad like Cunningham to see how he gets on at being back up to Ward.

Hourihane seemed lost in midfield and don't think he's ever played that deep in a two man midfield. I've only seen him play a handful of times and seems more like an attacking midfielder who would have been better off playing further forward behind the striker and O'Kane next to Hendricks who played well when he came on.

I've never been McGeadys biggest fan but he's been playing well for Preston lately but that's out on the left where he can cut inside and drift in centrally but last night was put out on the right instead where Horgan plays for Preston but he came on for Hayes instead.

Maybe not differently - maybe thats too strong a word.

Clinton Morrison and Packie Bonner were both lamenting the lack of chances created in two home games (they mentioned one on target in two games which I assume is accurate) but they weren't advocating a seachange.

Just a little more initiative - taking a chance.

Back in the successful first and secon campaigns under Trap there was certainly calls for him to adjust his style a bit, to push on from the defensive solidity we had then established. Nothing drastic, maybe Wes, or getting full-backs forward.

The analysis in reaction to this on the RTE panel was interesting, Brady (obviously involved in the setup at the time) was essentially hyperbolic in his response by saying why would we go gung-ho when Trap's approach was getting us results - Giles would reasonably point out that its only minor tweaks himself and Dunphy were advocating.

Trap was called to adjust his style because he never changed the team, never put trust in young players, never played more than two in midfield and always played 2 upfront.

Now O'neill appears to be getting flack when he has done exactly the opposite of what Trap was critcised for.

I'm laughing looking at people talk about Northern Ireland like they play good football. The north scored 2 goals versus Norway. A team that has not qualified for a major championship this century. We didn't score versus Euro semi finalists Wales with the most expensive player on earth on their team.

Before these 2 games we scored in every single game in the Euro championships and qualifiers as well as every world cup qualifier under O'neill apart from one game (vs Belgium) but suddenly we have a huge problem scoring if you read the posts here.

A lot of perspective is needed and you will not that by listening to the likes of Eamonn Dunphy. When has Dunphy ever been positive about how the irish team play? That's a serious question btw, I mute him when he is talking about Ireland.

Trap was called to adjust his style because he never changed the team, never put trust in young players, never played more than two in midfield and always played 2 upfront.

The point being, even with the players chosen, there was basic tactical changes that could have been implemented to improve our possession and attacking game.

Nobody is asking MON to completely change things.
    Now O'neill appears to be getting flack when he has done exactly the opposite of what Trap was critcised for.

No question. MON clearly has greater faith in the younger players and is willing to change personel. But again, its small changes to tactics that many fans, ex-pros and pundits are suggesting.
    I'm laughing looking at people talk about Northern Ireland like they play good football. The north scored 2 goals versus Norway. A team that has not qualified for a major championship this century. We didn't score versus Euro semi finalists Wales with the most expensive player on earth on their team.

Ah, I wouldn't denegrate what the North have accomplished. I still can't work out how they are maintaining this level of consistency with what they have at their disposal.

I actually feel Norway at home is they type of game we would probably draw - going on our record over the last 10-15 years.
    Before these 2 games we scored in every single game in the Euro championships and qualifiers as well as every world cup qualifier under O'neill apart from one game (vs Belgium) but suddenly we have a huge problem scoring if you read the posts here.

Well and Scotland away.

I take your point though but we do really struggle at times such as both Georgia games at home and Scotland at home. The lack of frontmen is an issue though - no doubt about it.
    A lot of perspective is needed and you will not that by listening to the likes of Eamonn Dunphy. When has Dunphy ever been positive about how the irish team play? That's a serious question btw, I mute him when he is talking about Ireland.

The substantive point was about Giles and Brady on Trap - a RE:how one shouldn't take a constructive criticism of MON as evidence the fans expect us to play like Barcelona.

Dunphy was actually quite complementary about MON on Friday from what I saw. Other pundits and ex-pros (and indeed fans) were just asking for a little bit more on the footballing front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I didn't like his positioning for the FK. Its a common sight these days that keepers practically touch the far post as a starting position and leave far too big a gap.

I don't think his positioning was the problem, the middle of the wall didn't jump at all.

• Advertisement

The point being, even with the players chosen, there was basic tactical changes that could have been implemented to improve our possession and attacking game.

Nobody is asking MON to completely change things.

No question. MON clearly has greater faith in the younger players and is willing to change personel. But again, its small changes to tactics that many fans, ex-pros and pundits are suggesting.

Ah, I wouldn't denegrate what the North have accomplished. I still can't work out how they are maintaining this level of consistency with what they have at their disposal.

I actually feel Norway at home is they type of game we would probably draw - going on our record over the last 10-15 years.

Well and Scotland away.

I take your point though but we do really struggle at times such as both Georgia games at home and Scotland at home. The lack of frontmen is an issue though - no doubt about it.

The substantive point was about Giles and Brady on Trap - a RE:how one shouldn't take a constructive criticism of MON as evidence the fans expect us to play like Barcelona.

Dunphy was actually quite complementary about MON on Friday from what I saw. Other pundits and ex-pros (and indeed fans) were just asking for a little bit more on the footballing front.

Fair enough I don't have any big argument with any of those points. I'm actually positive about what went on last night.

Brian Kerr's comments this morning on Morning Ireland were bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think the standard of coaching makes a huge difference,they have highly trained coaches in basically every town in the country.That is something we could copy,as I doubt there will be many facilties built here and in fairness our weather isnt as harsh.
    Get the standard of coaching up to scratch would make a huge difference and is something that could be achived fairly quickly.

Anyone know what it is to complete the full set of courses/badges here?It used to be around 12k, a lad I know has them.Around 12k and then all the other added expenses,travel accom etc make it near impossible for many people to get.

If you did all the courses I did you'd have spent almost €3,500 to get as far as doing your UEFA B. You'll spend more now as the F..A.I have upgraded the coaching courses. That includes accommodation for the UEFA B.

Fair enough I don't have any big argument with any of those points. I'm actually positive about what went on last night.

Brian Kerr's comments this morning on Morning Ireland were bizarre.

Agreed.

What fan thought they'd see a first team selection four days after the competitive Wales game? How Kerr can use that as criticism is beyond me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Agreed.

What fan thought they'd see a first team selection four days after the competitive Wales game? How Kerr can use that as criticism is beyond me.

Agree, we need to see what our options are. Horgan looks ready to be thrown in against Austria. I'd say the side against Uruguay will be mostly first team with a bit of experimenting.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

I was at the game against Wales in Croke Park in 2007 and even though we won it was a hundred times worse than what we saw on Friday. All I can remember from that game is the cold, the numbing silence in the stadium and the huge anti-climax of what should have been a huge occasion. I distinctly remember pundits condemning our team for refusing to pass the ball and a lack of any creativity/tactical nous. Bare in mind that was a team of Premier League players like Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given, John O'Shea, Steve Finnan, Richard Dunne, Stephen Ireland. With the exception of Coleman and maybe Brady we have not a single player now who could touch those named in terms of ability.

Ten years later we have got continually worse while Wales (and others) have got far better and produced some excellent indvidual players to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

weadick wrote: »
    I was at the game against Wales in Croke Park in 2007 and even though we won it was a hundred times worse than what we saw on Friday. All I can remember from that game is the cold, the numbing silence in the stadium and the huge anti-climax of what should have been a huge occasion. I distinctly remember pundits condemning our team for refusing to pass the ball and a lack of any creativity/tactical nous. Bare in mind that was a team of Premier League players like Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given, John O'Shea, Steve Finnan, Richard Dunne, Stephen Ireland. With the exception of Coleman and maybe Brady we have not a single player now who could touch those named in terms of ability.

Ten years later we have got continually worse while Wales (and others) have got far better and produced some excellent indvidual players to boot.

Is there anything to be said for asking him and maybe Jack Grealish to come & play for us???

**Legs it!

I was at both and they were both awful displays.

To say we were 100 times better last friday is nuts. We created few chances 10 years ago and at least score

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for asking him and maybe Jack Grealish to come & play for us???

**Legs it!
    As there is a bit of the Playboy about both perhaps they could play together in a platonic brotherly manner......................

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nonsense. Hoolahan and Arter have, at the very least, the same level of creative quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was at the game last night and agree with a lot of what's been said on here. Very disappointing performance particularly in the first half, not too many players come out of that game covered in glory - of the starting team I thought only Brady and McClean were decent. Horgan, O'Kane & O'Dowda all looked okay when they came off the bench but it was only for the last 25 mins or so. Wasn't impressed by Egan or Hourihane but it was their first caps and as others have said not too many players have excellent first caps - they are a long way from being starting players for us though.

The most frustrating thing was the complete non use of our centre midfield in the first half. I can't tell if it was the tactics or if Hendrick/Hourihane were both just anonymous but they never once got on the ball and done anything productive with it, very frustrating watching us play 4 or 5 passes around the back and then lump it up to Kevin Doyle. Hendrick was very poor in both games this week and despite his great Euros his place must be under threat if we have a full strength midfield to pick from.

Brady is definitely wasted as a left back, we need him playing further up the pitch and maybe even playing centrally. Ward has been very consistent and is a good option at left back (something I thought I would never say) and without Brady or Hoolahan on the pitch it is criminal how little creativity is in our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Our best games under O Neill have been

Germany Home
    Bosnia Home
    Sweden Euros
    Italy Euros
    France 1st half Euros
    Austria away in this campaign

In those 6 games we played sensible football. We played long balls, but we also created chances, and won set pieces through middle and out wide, and our Midfield were a match for the opposition.

I was also thinking this today. In 5 of those 6 games, Hoolahan started. I genuinely think that is the difference. It's not specifically Hoolahan but a player playing in that role - Wes is too old to be relying on him for every single game but I think Brady has to be the alternative in there. The difference is unbelievably noticeable.

Ward is accomplished player now. Those days of prior 2013 are gone.

Maybe the most improved player in last 2 to 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Nonsense. Hoolahan and Arter have, at the very least, the same level of creative quality.

Easy there tiger.

Not every post you disagree with is nonsense.

Wouldn't really have Arter down as a creative player tbh. I suppose we are clutching a bit with the midfielders we have.

Easy there tiger.

Obviously. But some, like that one, are.
    Wouldn't really have Arter down as a creative player tbh. I suppose we are clutching a bit with the midfielders we have.

It's stuff like this that makes me just not able to take you seriously.

• Advertisement

Easy there tiger.

He's being on here for years talking up Ireland's midfield as more than they are. Good luck to him. I don't have the strength.

Obviously. But some, like that one, are.

It's stuff like this that makes me just not able to take you seriously.

Ditto.

A decent player, goalscorer or provider at this level he ain't.

More of a combative box to boxer tbh.

The fact you can't even contemplate any disagreement with your labelling of Arter as a creative midfielder without your usual bile speaks volumes.

The fact you can't even contemplate any disagreement with your labelling of Arter as a creative midfielder without your usual bile speaks volumes.

You're a sensitive soul, noodler.

You're a sensitive soul, noodler.

I wouldn't put Arter in the creative midfielder bracket.

That's all!

I wouldn't attack somebody for disagreeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement