Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Horgan and Boyle taken off at HT for PNE. Goal for McGeady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Patww79 wrote: »
    Doesn't bode well. Especially for a defender, could be Boyle finished there.

Jesus! It's his third appearance for them!

Lets not jump to conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

He was on a yellow and may have been a bit "eager to impress" with challenges and they were a goal down and a more experienced defender replaced him. Hardly a P45 decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Arter played 45 minutes today and looked good (penalty aside!)
    It's a real pity he wasn't fit enough to even make the bench for Wales game as he would have been an excellent sub to be able to bring on.

Looks like we are getting a new kit manufacturer .

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

yabadabado wrote: »
    Arter played 45 minutes today and looked good (penalty aside!)
    It's a real pity he wasn't fit enough to even make the bench for Wales game as he would have been an excellent sub to be able to bring on.

Fantastic recovery in fairness

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

Looks like we are getting a new kit manufacturer .

Link

Thank god. We must be one of the few nations that stuck with them. Bring back Adidas!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Both managers are just looking out for themselves. I think Koeman is more annoyed by the Coleman injury but can't blame Ireland for that.

McCarthy is a more important player for Ireland than he seems to be for Everton. Credit must go to him for trying to play against Wales although he obviously wasn't ready. James McCarthy has shown class throughout which can't be said about the two childish managers.
    Koeman is to blame here. He's been blathering on about this issue with James McCarthy's injury for months and trying to blame Ireland for it. Why doesn't he and his medical staff sort it out? There's always a few on this site that will have a go at MON under any pretence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

weadick wrote: »
    Thank god. We must be one of the few nations that stuck with them. Bring back Adidas!

It's going to be NB apparently! They're very hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Redo91 wrote: »
    It's going to be NB apparently! They're very hit and miss.

Think it could be a success once it's kept simple with no collar I'd be happy enough, the big gammey '3' on it will prob spoil what could be a nice kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hate the Sponsor but the Eircom logo was much worse.

3 is still bad but least it looka like number on jersey.

Hate though that we are one of few countries who actually do have sponsor on jersey.

I hate the Sponsor but the Eircom logo was much worse.

3 is still bad but least it looka like number on jersey.

Hate though that we are one of few countries who actually do have sponsor on jersey.

FAI sold out the fans for the bit of extra cash and unlikely that they will ever go back to no sponsor.
    It's not so bad the last few years with all the jersey's coming from China without sponsors.

It was handy enough get unsponsored jersey's via Umbro for a few years but that seems to have stopped.

And they won 5-0!

Say they'll be benching it at the weekend too.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Koeman is to blame here. He's been blathering on about this issue with James McCarthy's injury for months and trying to blame Ireland for it. Why doesn't he and his medical staff sort it out? There's always a few on this site that will have a go at MON under any pretence.

You are utterly paranoid.

Your MON love-in is clear to all at this stage.

Boyle was never brought in as a first 11 defender. To think he would get the place over Huntingdon, Clarke or Baptiste is stup1d. He is a squad player and will be for a while. He would have known that himself. The absurd notion that people were putting forward that it could be him "finished" after 45 minutes of football which weren't great makes me laugh! Peston have a very good squad, with good depth for a Championship team.

As for Horgan, he clearly has been a success over there but believe it or not, like all squads, certain midfielders won't play every game, certainly wingers are rested often when games are a couple of days apart. The guy that replaced him last night (Robinson) has scored 10 goals this season and played almost every game until Horgan came yet Horgan is still playing ahead of him most games now so it is hardly a shocker they may give him a run out, especially when he has fresher legs than Horgan who played a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

weadick wrote: »

Not a case of sticking with them more so we had a very long term deal in place which would have been very expensive to get out of for another company to come in and try and take over. We last signed a deal with Umbro that was long term back in 2010 if I remember correctly. At the time Nike had bought Umbro a couple of years before. In 2012 Nike decided to sell off Umbro but before doing so decided to buy out the contracts and take over deals with certain clubs and countries. The Ireland deal at the time was so long term it was not worth it to Nike to buy out the contract and so we stayed with Umbro after Nike sold them.

noodler wrote: »
    You are utterly paranoid.

Your MON love-in is clear to all at this stage.

It's funny how qualifying for the Euros, beating Germany, Italy, Austria away, going to club matches, not picking fights with players over language and guitar issues, sitting joint top of the group etc. has affected some...

It's funny how qualifying for the Euros, beating Germany, Italy, Austria away, going to club matches, not picking fights with players over language and guitar issues, sitting joint top of the group etc. has affected some...

Not entirely sure what point you are making? Are you suggesting success breeds paranoia?

Its fairly tin-foil hat stuff to find phantom agendas just because somebody suggests it might not have been wise for the National team manager to escalate a public spat with a premier league manager, regardless of who started it.

Most international managers would do the same if such accusations were thrown at them. If O Neill weren't to publicly refute such pretty damning criticism regarding abusing the welfare of his players for the sake of a game what would other clubs think of their own players going on duty for them?

I don't see any alternative to how MON was forced to handle it. He was backed into a corner by a very unprofessional remark by a very well known manager. MON isn't a PR man. He is a football manager and a man who wears his heart on his sleave. Most in the game wouldn't expect anything else but that response after such unmerited (in his view) scrutiny.

Not entirely sure what point you are making? Are you suggesting success breeds paranoia?

Its fairly tin-foil hat stuff to find phantom agendas just because somebody suggests it might not have been wise for the National team manager to escalate a public spat with a premier league manager, regardless of who started it.

There's no "phantom" agenda, the agenda with a few on here was very real before he was appointed as Ireland manager for some odd reason.

Now the agenda has largely died down as MON, predictably in my view, has done very well results wise especially as Irish manager. No-one is above criticism and sometimes I'd like MON to pick more creative players when available but still unreasonable criticism in my opinion tends to crop up now and again on here.

To hell with Koeman he's been whingeing about James McCarthy's injuries for ages and trying to blame Ireland for it. It'd be more in his line for him to tell his medical staff to get the finger out and get him fit. MON was right to defend himself against Koeman's nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

https://youtu.be/nMrgEttoEiY

Liverpool fans before the merseyside derby.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

There's no "phantom" agenda, the agenda with a few on here was very real before he was appointed as Ireland manager for some odd reason.

Now the agenda has largely died down as MON, predictably in my view, has done very well results wise especially as Irish manager. No-one is above criticism and sometimes I'd like MON to pick more creative players when available but still unreasonable criticism in my opinion tends to crop up now and again on here.

To hell with Koeman he's been whingeing about James McCarthy's injuries for ages and trying to blame Ireland for it. It'd be more in his line for him to tell his medical staff to get the finger out and get him fit. MON was right to defend himself against Koeman's nonsense.

Well, could you stop portraying any minor criticism of the manager as some sort of agenda?

I also couldn't blame MON for some sort of reply as Koeman brought it on himself as well but I wouldn't accuse someone of anti-MON bias just for feeling he could have stayed out of it.

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Some idiots anyway.

Could have been wearing any jersey.

Well, could you stop portraying any minor criticism of the manager as some sort of agenda?

I also couldn't blame MON for some sort of reply as Koeman brought it on himself as well but I wouldn't accuse someone of anti-MON bias just for feeling he could have stayed out of it.
    Didn't I just say that no-one is above criticism.

There was an unreasonable and unrealistic in my view agenda against MON getting the Ireland job on here with a select handful of posters before he was appointed, that's just a fact. Me referring to it doesn't mean I'm saying he's above criticism.

Is that clear enough for you?

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Every team has idiot fans.
    I have no doubt some of our supporters would do similar if a rival player was injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Look, Ireland / Everton fighting over James Mccarthy didn't start when Koeman came along. There was hostility there when Roberto Martinez was his manager at Everton and at Wigan too.

I don't think there's a thing wrong with a PL manager getting thick about a country insisting on calling up an injured player - especially in the context of what happened in October when he played a full 90 minutes against Georgia and then started again 4 days later against Moldova and came off with only 10 minutes to go having been injured since August and having not even resumed full training with his club yet.

Then he plays only a part of 2 training sessions for Ireland, and having been injured for 3 weeks, they still attempt to start him!

McCathy himself is the victim here, not either Koeman or O'Neill. He can't win. Even back in his Wigan days, he was getting stick for pulling out of Ireland games and then starting for Wigan a few days later. Now Koeman is giving him stick for doing the opposite

Meanwhile Harry Arter starts for Bournmouth a few days after being too injured for the Ireland squad and nothing is said.

Laois_Man wrote:
    Meanwhile Harry Arter starts for Bournmouth a few days after being too injured for the Ireland squad and nothing is said.

He came on as a sub 8 days after the Wales game. Reasonable enough imo

8 games after the Moldova game you mean

Starting 2 games in 4 days versus playing 20-30 minutes after an 8 day rest...huge difference

Laois_Man wrote: »

8 games after the Moldova game you mean

Starting 2 games in 4 days versus playing 20-30 minutes after an 8 day rest...huge difference
    Thought you meant the recent round of games

Look, Ireland / Everton fighting over James Mccarthy didn't start when Koeman came along. There was hostility there when Roberto Martinez was his manager at Everton and at Wigan too.

I don't think there's a thing wrong with a PL manager getting thick about a country insisting on calling up an injured player - especially in the context of what happened in October when he played a full 90 minutes against Georgia and then started again 4 days later against Moldova and came off with only 10 minutes to go having been injured since August and having not even resumed full training with his club yet.

Then he plays only a part of 2 training sessions for Ireland, and having been injured for 3 weeks, they still attempt to start him!

McCathy himself is the victim here, not either Koeman or O'Neill. He can't win. Even back in his Wigan days, he was getting stick for pulling out of Ireland games and then starting for Wigan a few days later. Now Koeman is giving him stick for doing the opposite

McCarthy's got underlying injury issues. Ireland is not to blame for that. It's the responsibility of Everton to get to the bottom of his injury issues. Koeman is just wasting everyone's time deflecting from the responsibility of his club and the medical staff there to solve the issue.

• Advertisement

Thought you meant the recent round of games

McCarthy has still not played for Everton since he got injured 3 weeks before the Wales game so I don't know what you mean.
    McCarthy's got underlying injury issues. Ireland is not to blame for that. It's the responsibility of Everton to get to the bottom of his injury issues. Koeman is just wasting everyone's time deflecting from the responsibility of his club and the medical staff there to solve the issue.

Yes it's the responsibility of Everton's medical staff to get to the bottom of it - and as part of the responsibility, they're responsible for telling Ireland he's injured so don't call him up. Exactly as Bournmouth did with Harry Arter, Brighton did with Shane Duffy, Newcastle did with both Daryl Murphy and Ciaran Clark and as Norwich did with Wes Hoolehan. None of whom were called up. Yet McCarthy was....twice....the first time he was after having an operation just a month earlier and started 2 games in 4 days!! Absolutely ridiculous!! As I said, issues between Ireland and his club pre-dates McCarthy's time with both Koeman and Everton. The common denominator is not Everton, or Koeman, it's Ireland!

You totally exaggerate McCarthy's "underlying injury issues" too. In his 3 full seasons since he joined Everton prior to this one, he has played 45, 37 and 37 games in each.

Latest Fifa rankings for our group
    Wales - 13 (Down 1)
    Ireland - 26 (Down 2)
    Austria - 36 (Down 2)
    Serbia - 49 (Up 3)
    Georgia - 122 (Up 4)
    Moldova - 158 (Up 4)

McCarthy has still not played for Everton since he got injured 3 weeks before the Wales game so I don't know what you mean.

Yes it's the responsibility of Everton's medical staff to get to the bottom of it - and as part of the responsibility, they're responsible for telling Ireland he's injured so don't call him up. Exactly as Bournmouth did with Harry Arter, Brighton did with Shane Duffy, Newcastle did with both Daryl Murphy and Ciaran Clark and as Norwich did with Wes Hoolehan. None of whom were called up. Yet McCarthy was....twice....the first time he was after having an operation just a month earlier and started 2 games in 4 days!! Absolutely ridiculous!! As I said, issues between Ireland and his club pre-dates McCarthy's time with both Koeman and Everton. The common denominator is not Everton, or Koeman, it's Ireland!
    Not having that, ridiculous comments. If he wasn't fit Everton should have made that clear and told Ireland he wasn't to travel. Are you an Everton fan or something? Like the rest of those players that weren't available if Ireland were told clearly that he wasn't fit to play they wouldn't have called him up.

Wishy washy nonsense from Koeman and Everton. The fault lies squarely with Koeman and his medical staff at Everton.

Not having that, ridiculous comments. If he wasn't fit Everton should have made that clear and told Ireland he wasn't to travel. Are you an Everton fan or something? Like the rest of those players that weren't available if Ireland were told clearly that he wasn't fit to play they wouldn't have called him up.

Wishy washy nonsense from Koeman and Everton. The fault lies squarely with Koeman and his medical staff at Everton.

Everton don't have the power to stop him travelling.

Fifa rules dictate Irish medical get to assess.

Everton don't have the power to stop him travelling.

Fifa rules dictate Irish medical get to assess.
    If they made it clear he wasn't fit he wouldn't have traveled. There was half a dozen others that weren't available. This is an Everton and Koeman problem

• Advertisement

If they made it clear he wasn't fit he wouldn't have traveled. There was half a dozen others that weren't available. This is an Everton and Koeman problem

My God. Have you been living under a rock for the last 3 weeks? :rolleyes:

Koeman expressed his frustration BEFORE the Ireland players gathered for the Wales game that the FIFA rule allowed Ireland to call him up against Evertons wishes. Koeman has explained that the Everton medical team advised extreme caution to Ireland's medical team about McCarthy and that it would be high risk for him to travel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Koeman expressed his frustration BEFORE the Ireland players gathered for the Wales game that the FIFA rule allowed Ireland to call him up against Evertons wishes. Koeman has explained that the Everton medical team advised extreme caution to Ireland's medical team about McCarthy and that it would be high risk for him to travel.

Was it a bit of a "boy who called wolf" situation?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Every team has idiot fans.
    I have no doubt some of our supporters would do similar if a rival player was injured.

Idiot is not the word I would use to describe those Liverpool supporters. The words I would use would probably get me a ban here. That is disgusting and a disgrace. Claiming every team has "idiot" supporters as if that makes it ok or no big deal is not ok IMHO. The facts are there are more then 1 or 2 guys signing in there and what they are doing is vile and disgusting and there is no excuse for it whatsoever.

Hold on a second I never said it was alright or no big deal
    I'm not excusing it.
    There will always be ***** like that but what are you going to do about it it? That is best ignored .

Hold on a second I never said it was alright or no big deal
    I'm not excusing it.
    There will always be ***** like that but what are you going to do about it it? That is best ignored .

Absolutely.

Didn't read your initial post as "excusing it" in any way, shape or form.

My God. Have you been living under a rock for the last 3 weeks? :rolleyes:

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/778419/ronald-koeman-snubbed-martin-oneills-attempt-to-end-their-feud-before-seamus-colemans-leg-break/
    Koeman is making an arse of the situation. MON attempted to contact him to bury the hatchet and rebuild trust. Koeman refused petulantly instead preferring the frosty relationship continuing. If they were on proper speaking terms then an understanding could be developed. Koeman prefers to run to the press and bitch about the situation than deal with it in a professional manner. MON and Ireland obviously don't trust Koeman and don't believe a word he says. Koeman has only himself to blame.

Was it a bit of a "boy who called wolf" situation?

Well he never seemed to cry wolf when it was Seamus Coleman joining Ireland - or previously, Gibson, McGeady or Long. Or Funes Mori joining Argentina, or Lukaku or Mirallas joining Belgium (even though Lukaku looks pretty knackered lately) or Barkley. Bolasie, Valencia, Williams, Stekelenburg etc joining their countries. Or Gueye going to African Nations even though it meant him missing 6 weeks in the middle of the season. Etc etc. Just James McCarthy

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/778419/ronald-koeman-snubbed-martin-oneills-attempt-to-end-their-feud-before-seamus-colemans-leg-break/
    Koeman is making an arse of the situation. MON attempted to contact him to bury the hatchet and rebuild trust. Koeman refused petulantly instead preferring the frosty relationship continuing. If they were on proper speaking terms then an understanding could be developed. Koeman prefers to run to the press and bitch about the situation than deal with it in a professional manner. MON and Ireland obviously don't trust Koeman and don't believe a word he says. Koeman has only himself to blame.

It's an ironic flaw that you criticise Koeman's "running to the press and bitching about the situation" by providing a link of Martin O'Neill's own "running to the press and bitching about the situation". O'Neill is answering questions in mandatory press conferences exactly the same as Koeman has to.

And also, it's somewhat confusing that the article you provide is focused on Seamus Coleman's leg break when Koeman has never blamed Ireland, or had any problem with Ireland in any way over Seamus Coleman's injury! Because O'Neill didn't twice (or for that matter, even once) call up an unfit Seamus Coleman. That's the difference.

Also, the attempt to "bury the hatchet" about McCarthy only occurred AFTER O'Neill had already called said unfit McCarthy up to Ireland against Koeman's wishes!

Well he never seemed to cry wolf when it was Seamus Coleman joining Ireland - or previously, Gibson, McGeady or Long. Or Funes Mori joining Argentina, or Lukaku or Mirallas joining Belgium (even though Lukaku looks pretty knackered lately) or Barkley. Bolasie, Valencia, Williams, Stekelenburg etc joining their countries. Or Gueye going to African Nations even though it meant him missing 6 weeks in the middle of the season. Etc etc. Just James McCarthy

!

Why would he give a sh1t about Mcgeady or Gibson going on international duty? One he has probably never even met as he hasn't been anywhere near Goodison since he arrived, the other who he merely gave nothing but a little run out in the League Cup and sold him! Not sure why they are on this list........

Why would he give a sh1t about Mcgeady or Gibson going on international duty? One he has probably never even met as he hasn't been anywhere near Goodison since he arrived, the other who he merely gave nothing but a little run out in the League Cup and sold him! Not sure why they are on this list........

Not that it matters since it's just nit-picking and off-topic, but considering McGeady did his pre-season at Everton (and played in 2 or 3 games), and also spent the first 2 and a half weeks of the season at Everton, yes Koeman and McGeady have met while Koeman was still evaluating his squad over those first 3 - 4 months (considering the Euro 2016 and Copa America players didn't arrive back until late July, it didn't take very long for him to decide he wanted to try and sell McGeady - which he's still tying to do)

One remembers Keane's observations about Everton and players being injured for international fixtures long before O'Neill v Koeman...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/roy-keanes-patience-snaps-in-attack-on-everton-30749328.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement