Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Long starting today. Hoolahan with two early goals as Norwich run riot, 6-1 up after 40 minutes! and Horgan not starting again with Preston a goal down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Whelan having a mare since he came on for Stoke against Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well he never seemed to cry wolf when it was Seamus Coleman joining Ireland - or previously, Gibson, McGeady or Long. Or Funes Mori joining Argentina, or Lukaku or Mirallas joining Belgium (even though Lukaku looks pretty knackered lately) or Barkley. Bolasie, Valencia, Williams, Stekelenburg etc joining their countries. Or Gueye going to African Nations even though it meant him missing 6 weeks in the middle of the season. Etc etc. Just James McCarthy

It's an ironic flaw that you criticise Koeman's "running to the press and bitching about the situation" by providing a link of Martin O'Neill's own "running to the press and bitching about the situation". O'Neill is answering questions in mandatory press conferences exactly the same as Koeman has to.

And also, it's somewhat confusing that the article you provide is focused on Seamus Coleman's leg break when Koeman has never blamed Ireland, or had any problem with Ireland in any way over Seamus Coleman's injury! Because O'Neill didn't twice (or for that matter, even once) call up an unfit Seamus Coleman. That's the difference.

Also, the attempt to "bury the hatchet" about McCarthy only occurred AFTER O'Neill had already called said unfit McCarthy up to Ireland against Koeman's wishes!
    I'm taking MON at his word that he wants normal relations with Koeman as manager of a club which happens to have Irish players on their books. It appears Koeman wants to continue the rift. You can say what you like but for me that puts the larger share of the blame for the continuation of this argument and the unprofessional lack of communication that is behind it with Koeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Hull City midfielder David Meyler has been ruled out for the rest of the season after suffering a medial knee ligament injury in training

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Meyler will be a loss he's a good lad and isn't credited enough, Wes needs to start against Austria in my opinion it will show MON is really going for it. Never knew Preston NE Callum Robinson is eligible to play with us hopefully the strong Irish connection there can possibly get him to declare for us In dire need and I've ruled out Scott Hogan at this stage after that your looking at Seanie McGuire

Boyle played the 90 for Preston today, with Baptiste out. Bad defeat at home though against Norwich which has more or less officially ended their slim playoff hopes. Horgan played last half hour.

Daryll Murphy scored against Ipswich in a surprise defeat, with another Irishman, McGoldrick scoring for the winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

With Brighton being promoted it's likely that Duffy will get plenty of PL football next season. Clark also hopefully, although Newcastle are likely to invest in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lumbo wrote: »
    Hull City midfielder David Meyler has been ruled out for the rest of the season after suffering a medial knee ligament injury in training

More time for him to work on his youtube channel so

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Greg Cunningham fractured his fibula at the weekend. Not necessarily a serious injury, but he might not be back in time for the Mexico and Uruguay games. Might have been an opportunity to give him a run out at LB and get some experience. In case Ward is missing in future, it would save having to play Brady there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

If he didn't give him a run against Iceland then I'd say MON doesn't rate him tbh. Id say he's prob 4th/5th choice after Ward, Brady, Clark and maybe Wilson.
    Not that I agree with it but thats how I'd read it

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

True, Matt Doherty is up and coming as well. I forgot about him. Only a year younger than Cunningham though. Seem likes an age since he made his debut for city.

A lot of talk that Seanie Maguire will be called up for Uruguay game I hope this is the case and MON doesn't wait for a move to England. PNE scouting him atm and seem to be very interested. June qualifier not too long away now fingers crossed the lads stay fit especially our creative 3 Brady,McClean and Wes need them big time against Austria if we are to get the W.

Randolph dropped for WH over the weekend. Can see them signing a new GK in the summer. Although he hasnt done much wrong for the national team Id prefer to have a playing GK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Randolph dropped for WH over the weekend. Can see them signing a new GK in the summer. Although he hasnt done much wrong for the national team Id prefer to have a playing GK

Adrian didn't look hectic for West Ham on Saturday either.
    Can't fault Randolph hasn't put a foot wrong for us but always thought Westwood was the better keeper .

yabadabado wrote: »

Adrian didn't look hectic for West Ham on Saturday either.
    Can't fault Randolph hasn't put a foot wrong for us but always thought Westwood was the better keeper .
    No but West Ham fans have been calling for Randolph to be dropped the last while. But they were doing the same earlier in the season when Adrian was No.1. Wouldnt be surprised if they moved for Joe Hart in the summer tbh

• Advertisement

No but West Ham fans have been calling for Randolph to be dropped the last while. But they were doing the same earlier in the season when Adrian was No.1. Wouldnt be surprised if they moved for Joe Hart in the summer tbh

I'd fully expect them to buy a keeper in the summer be a pity if Randolph is not getting regular games again.

I'd fully expect them to buy a keeper in the summer be a pity if Randolph is not getting regular games again.

I think it is clear the West Ham fans are extremely tired of Randolph. He gets an awful lot of abuse on twitter from them.

He should head to the Championship, no embarrassment and retain a first team place. A keeper that is very reliable for us, thankfully and hopefully going forward, and has also done a good job at West Ham but has too many mistakes over the course of the season. And a keeper will only really be remembered for the mistakes often. Look at David James, even Joe Hart. Both fine keepers who make costly mistakes and are suddenly a joke.

Only Sunderland, Swansea and Hull have conceded more goals this season and West Ham could arguably be 8th or 9th but for a few individual errors by Randolph, mainly his near post covering, a big fault in his game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

He could end up at Celtic if Gordon moves to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

irishman86 wrote: »
    He could end up at Celtic if Gordon moves to Chelsea.

Gordon just recently signed a new contract at Celtic so that is done.

Seanie Maguire looks almost certain to join Preston NE in July really hope this happens and it works out for him there, would have matured a lot since his last spell in England at 18 suffered big time with homesickness hopefully the good amount of Irish lads with Preston can help there we badly need options up front and oneill will do nothing until he's moved to England I think. With Newcastle and Brighton getting promoted it will be very good for Duffy and Clark too. Austria game not too far away now really hope we go for it on the night this Irish teams best performanceces have been when they pressed hard for wins.

• Advertisement

2 game ban for Taylor. ......hmm.

I guess they have to go by precedent but I doubt many, even Wales fans would disagree with a couple more games.

Coleman would though

I mean Chris Coleman of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Two games for that is a joke.

Sums up most people's feelings I reckon

https://twitter.com/Christian_Wain/status/857206370352984066

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Messi banned for four games for insulting the assistant ref. Neymar banned for two games for sarcastically applauding the ref. Violent conduct carries a three game ban in England. Jesus even Joey Barton got 12 games for his antics v Man City a few years back. But Taylor gets only two games for a leg breaker, which is the worst of the lot compared to all of the above. FIFA are a joke.

It was going to be a shorter ban than in club football as theres much fewer competitive games but 2 seems very lenient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We should at least benefit by having him banned when we play them in Cardiff.

Leg breaking bad tackles should result in a penalty to the fouled player's team.

Nalz wrote: »
    We should at least benefit by having him banned when we play them in Cardiff.

Leg breaking bad tackles should result in a penalty to the fouled player's team.

Not really feasible,what would happen if it was the second game between the sides in the group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not really feasible,what would happen if it was the second game between the sides in the group?

Think he was taking the piss?

noodler wrote: »
    Think he was taking the piss?

Not so sure but hopefully he was .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Not so sure but hopefully he was .

I said it tongue and cheek, but if it was the second game then normal regular rules should apply!

Wont happen and a bit mad but had to reply to you both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

What ban did Jason Mcateer get when he karate kicked the macedonian in just below the throat in '97? Followed it up with a knee to the balls of another macedonian.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    What ban did Jason Mcateer get when he karate kicked the macedonian in just below the throat in '97? Followed it up with a knee to the balls of another macedonian.

3 competitive ones anyway. I am not sure if friendlies (if there were any- Oman weren't the big draw they are now! - ) counted?

But he was back for the run in. we were 2nd by 10 points with Romania winning the group anyway so not sure it made a difference but he missed the Romania game that we lost by 1 goal so........ you never know.

gave us a memory anyway and put him into Irish folklore, if nothing else!

3 competitive ones anyway. I am not sure if friendlies (if there were any- Oman weren't the big draw they are now! - ) counted?

But he was back for the run in. we were 2nd by 10 points with Romania winning the group anyway so not sure it made a difference but he missed the Romania game that we lost by 1 goal so........ you never know.

Good knowledge

Good knowledge

bit of research after Taylor incident when everyone was trying to outdo eachother with their "burn him at the stake" reaction post the incident.

I actually caddied for Mick McCarthy (he paid my wages - £35, a hotdog, a snickers and 2 bottles of coke!!) in Summer 1999 in K Club during a pro am and there was a few jokes about that as we were soon to play Macedonia again (we got them 2 campaigns in a row)

We bet them in that game but a few months later in the away game we conceded a last minute goal which cost us automatic qualification and subjected us to that disastrous Turkey playoff.
    We had a very good team that campaign, young Robbie, Carr, Duff starting to break in, Keane, Quinn playing well, Kennedy, Carsley, Kilbane, Cunningham, Breen, still had Irwin and staunton was playing well. Oh, and an aold favourite of mine, Delap.

that was a great Irish team, possibly the best since 88/90 and the best since also.

Feel Brian Kerr's team was a bit special with Duff, Keane, O'shea & Given close to their prime and Roy still a force to be reckoned with but we missed a Niall Quinn figure. The Doc and Clinton Morrison just weren't in the same league.

Carr and Finnan were also top notch full backs when Kerr was there.

Carr and Finnan were also top notch full backs when Kerr was there.

Kerr didn't pick Finnan all the much I think. A mate confronted him about that one night out and Kerr's reasoning was Finnan didn't exactly care much about playing for Ireland.

Kerr didn't pick Finnan all the much I think. A mate confronted him about that one night out and Kerr's reasoning was Finnan didn't exactly care much about playing for Ireland.

I never heard of any issues under Kerr and he did play a lot of matches under him but he did miss a few games through injury, but rarely was very unjustifiably on the bench for games he was there. Competing against Ian Harte and Carr was tough,

But I do think, by the time Stauntons era came about there were some, and I mean some (you know the type that pop up on these threads!) fans unhappy with him.,

he pulled out of a few squads under Kerr bust most infamously the fans remember the Czech game (under Staunton) when apparently Benitez played his part. That really irked people as he played 2 and a half days later against Portsmouth for 90 minutes. Before that game, it actually looked vert likely we could get the Euro 2008 playoff spot if we stole a win but we lost and the wheels completely came off whilst Czechs went on to win all their remaining games.

I think his attitude may have changed a bit over time though.
    when he started out he was a young lad playing for Fulham and being called up for a very good Irish team.

A few years later he had played in 2 Champ League finals, was starting in a top PL team under Benitez for an ambitious and well managed club and was representing a divided Irish team managed by a rookie manager (Staunton) who in turn worked for a self serving propogandist in a near bankrupt association!

Bit of a turn around in fortunes!

Not that any of that gives him a buy out clause for him in any way, as an Irish fan, but maybe that was his mentality at the time.
    Personally I would always try to give a player like him the benefit of the doubt. Yes he had poor games, as they all did in that period but I don't think it was because he didn't want to be there.

You wouldn't know though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Very good interview with James McClean on Football Focus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

x4mgqut.gif

What a load of waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd say it's true enough. Why doubt it, do you know Finnan or Kerr?

Cos he was played loads and "someone told a friend of mine" Kerr's opinion isn't something that would put the burden of evidence on me.

What a load of waffle.

Waffle? How is it waffle? Its either the truth or a lie? I don't see how its waffle?

Not sure why you were so offended by it. Kerr picked Carr at right back over Finnan at in the crucial qualifiers in 2003.

That was his right to do. Finnan pulled out of a few squads with injury and they were both good players.

• Advertisement

x4mgqut.gif

You know mick came out after that game and accused the macedonian of rolling around and making a meal of it? It was a fairly grim time in ways to be an Ireland supporter. We were still on a massive comedown from the great days of the Charlton reign.

Waffle? How is it waffle? Its either the truth or a lie? I don't see how its waffle?

Not sure why you were so offended by it. Kerr picked Carr at right back over Finnan at in the crucial qualifiers in 2003.

That was his right to do. Finnan pulled out of a few squads with injury and they were both good players.

Not offended per se.

Its just a load of waffle.

Not offended per se.

Its just a load of waffle.

Think you accusing me of waffling is more akin to waffling than anything i said

Think you accusing me of waffling is more akin to waffling than anything i said

Don't worry about it.

I'm just not gonna doubt the commitment of a consummate professional with more than 50 caps because of what an opinion a poster on boards claims/thinks Brian Kerr conveyed to him in a bar some night.

Don't worry about it.

I'm just not gonna doubt the commitment of a consummate professional with more than 50 caps because of what an opinion a poster on boards claims/thinks Brian Kerr conveyed to him in a bar some night.

That's completely your right. Brian Kerr didn't convey anything to me, the story was second hand from a friend who had the alledged conversation with him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement