Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Very nice touch by Everton....

Everton full-back Seamus Coleman has signed a new five-year deal with the Merseyside club.

The deal was agreed before Coleman suffered his injury in March and he received a text message from chairman Bill Kenwright saying the contract was still waiting for him as soon as he was ready to sign it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39818657

sugarman wrote: »
    Not being smart here, but how is it a nice touch? It's in their best interests to keep their best players, and probably the best RB in the league. They obviously stalled on the contract between then and now too, to see the extent of the injury before offering the terms, i.e a long 5 year contract.

They weren't doing it as much as a good for the player, as they were themselves.

They agreed it before his injury when he was playing really well.

Now he is injured, and who knows if he'll be the same player again. Some players aren't.
    They could have said they would hold off for a while and see how things go, let him come back and prove himself etc. but didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

There's absolutely no way in the world to know until he's back playing if he's going to be close to the same player so yes it was a nice touch by Everton. Even giving someone without a major injury a 5 year deal at his age is something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

sugarman wrote: »
    And they've had a solid 2 months to assess him with top medical doctors, surgeons in world class facilities. They're obviously very confident he'll be grand. Sure he was pictured without his cast last week starting his rehabilitation already, and they said it's not as bad as first feared. That he's expected to be back the end of this year.

Look, it's great they gave him a new contract. But if he was in anyway ****ed, if they believed be wouldn't be the same player. Theres not a chance they were still offering that contract. Don't fool yourself into thinking they would.

I wouldn't call it a "nice touch" though, not in my language anyway!
    . Such a phrase smacks of a decision made out of sympathy/"get well soon" for him!
    I think it was a "nice boost" for Coleman knowing that his clubs medical team have vigorously assessed his medical situation and have made a big decision, based on logic, to offer him a muti million deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Clearly wasn't an ounce of compassion about it from Everton and anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty naive. Businesses aren't run that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Seems like a nice touch to me as well.

Little bit of faith from Everton as there is no guarantee he will come back from this the same player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Bit of a naughty challenge from arter on joe Allen, lucky to only get a yellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Did anyone else read the article in the Sunday Times saying that the ROI could have three different jersey sponsors in three successive years? Madness.
    We're going from Umbro to New Balance, but apparently this is only for one year and NB would have to bid again to retain it.
    The young lad has a generic jersey now - hope he doesn't grow in the next few years !!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Not long until Austria come to Dublin hopefully touch wood are key men can stay fit and the two friendlies run smoothly essential MON has our most creative players to call upon on the day (Brady,McClean,Wes,Walters and Long) a win would be huge here for us and would as good as guarantee a play off spot at the very least but would still keep the pressure on the Serbs for top spot. Looking at the team I hope Walters starts upfront with Long to come on after 60 a lot of people saying not to start Wes but to introduce him in second half when things open up a little more it's hard call I hope he starts for us on the day it would definitely show we're confident and going for it.

MON says the June friendlies will serve as a way to get our first XI match fit, especially those who aren't getting club matches. (ahead of the Austria qualifier)
    Thinking the likes of Randalph, Christie, Long, McCarthy (if fit) Walters, Brady etc. could do with the game time.
    So our team might well be quite fresh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Season ticket renewal time of the year. All tickets up a tenner.

Trond wrote: »
    Season ticket renewal time of the year. All tickets up a tenner.

How much are they? I have never bought one but interested in the benefits? Also what time of year do they commence in effect. (If you know what I mean)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The timeline is an important factor. If it's from July to June, for example, that'll include the remaining WC qualifiers and possibly a playoff but the rest of the games will be friendlies as opposed to seasons that begin in even numbers which would include more compeitive games. A tenner increase for less competitive games seems like a joke, tbh (if that is the case).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

How much are they? I have never bought one but interested in the benefits? Also what time of year do they commence in effect. (If you know what I mean)

Tickets start at €130 (€96 for students)

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/tickets-membership/season-tickets

Benefits;

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/tickets-membership/benefits

so, eh, a season ticket isn't an actual ticket to matches. They could just call it an FAI membership package which it actually is! Or am I reading that incorrect?

I have never had problems getting tickets to individual games as long as I don't leave it until last minute so it is not as if a "pre sale period" is hugely beneficial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I and one for a few years and was a block booker before that.I haven't bothered with it in a while but they are handy especially if you go to all games .I don't usually bother with friendlies anymore so knocks the value out of it for me.
    Still a good value ST for a lot of people.

so, eh, a season ticket isn't an actual ticket to matches. They could just call it an FAI membership package which it actually is! Or am I reading that incorrect?

I have never had problems getting tickets to individual games as long as I don't leave it until last minute so it is not as if a "pre sale period" is hugely beneficial!
    It's is a ticket to matches similar to most other schemes clubs have.
    A credit card type ticket that you scan at turnstile and a designated seat for the year/season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Have people received there duo package tickets for Uruguay and Austria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im still waiting, was gonna ask same if did not get them by Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ha just came on to ask the same question. Still waiting here as well

Least we are in same boat so. I think they usually come out about 3-4 weeks before the game, but I get my tickets usually off ST holder

yabadabado wrote: »
    It's is a ticket to matches similar to most other schemes clubs have.
    A credit card type ticket that you scan at turnstile and a designated seat for the year/season.

That is what I mean, when I read the "benefits" link, it reads like you still have to pay (albeit a decreased price and with certain priority) for matches regardless of the fact you have paid €130. That is why I was confused when I read the comment "Pre- Sale on general match tickets" in the ticketing section of the benefits..

I am just trying to get my head around it! If you get all those tickets and the benefits, €130 seems reasonable, even if you don't bother to go to the annual Oman game! :D *

*Ps, I know they aren't playing Oman this year!

The Irish u17s into QF of Euros. Finished 2nd in group after only letting in the 7 today.

That's it .
    All games they play plus FAI Cup Final.
    There is a possibility we will have a play off as well so could be 3 competitive games 3 friendlies and the cup final.
    Excellent value for €130 even the CAT A at €220 is decent.

The Irish u17s into QF of Euros. Finished 2nd in group after only letting in the 7 today.

Bosnia obviously beat Serbia, yeah?? There was only a few minutes left and it was 0-0.

• Advertisement

Bosnia obviously beat Serbia, yeah?? There was only a few minutes left and it was 0-0.

Ya 1-0. It goes on head to head

Rte link gives better understanding then I will try

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0510/874042-seventh-heaven-as-irish-reach-under-17-quarter-finals/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Ya Bosnia scored in the 80th minute to win 1-0. Crazy the way it worked out for us that we got through despite losing 7-0 to Germany. This is a highly rated Irish team so that's a bit embarrassing to be honest. Hopefully they can acquit themselves a bit better in the QF against either England or the Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Does anybody think Suarez will play in the match on 4th June in the Aviva?
    Was going to bring my lads up to this one as big fans of his but feel it could be 2nd string Uruguay team with most of the first team on break for end of season

Redo91 wrote: »

Ya Bosnia scored in the 80th minute to win 1-0. Crazy the way it worked out for us that we got through despite losing 7-0 to Germany. This is a highly rated Irish team so that's a bit embarrassing to be honest. Hopefully they can acquit themselves a bit better in the QF against either England or the Dutch.
    At the same time, confidence must be on the floor after a 0-7 thrashing.
    Germany are clearly a superb team, but still.

was it even a full German team, they had qualified so thought they would pick the stiffs

• Advertisement

Awful result, but they have a chance of beating England and getting to WC if they do get to semi.

Huge ask, but they have a chance to put pride back in jersey

Awful result, but they have a chance of beating England and getting to WC if they do get to semi.

Huge ask, but they have a chance to put pride back in jersey

Plenty of pride in the jersey at the moment. We are in a good place.

:confused:

EDIT: Apologies if you were just referring to the U 17s after today! I thought you may have been referring to Irish soccer in general!

Plenty of pride in the jersey at the moment. We are in a good place.

:confused:

EDIT: Apologies if you were just referring to the U 17s after today! I thought you may have been referring to Irish soccer in general!
    No worries, ya meant u17.

Into last 8 and thats a achievement, but a good performance against England is what they should be aiming for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Never received my duo package either emailed fai few weeks back and said they will be sent out mid may. Can anyone tell me how long you can buy season ticket until there gone off the market or do they?

Dots1982 wrote: »

was it even a full German team, they had qualified so thought they would pick the stiffs
    For sure Germany will be confident when we face them again in the final...

Sheridan could be worth a call-up.

Not that he's a world-beater or anything, but we are very light in the forward line. If Daryl Murphy is injured or not getting games, then Sheridan could potentially do a similar job. Sort of like a battering ram to create space for Long or others.

417379.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Sheridan could be worth a call-up.

Not that he's a world-beater or anything, but we are very light in the forward line. If Daryl Murphy is injured or not getting games, then Sheridan could potentially do a similar job. Sort of like a battering ram to create space for Long or others.

417379.jpg

Hes always done well abroad, like you were saying he could easily play the target man role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Republic of Ireland MNT Squad

Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle (Bradford City), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Darren Randolph (West Ham United)

Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce (Derby County), Paul McShane (Reading), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Andy Boyle (Preston North End), John Egan (Brentford), Marc Wilson (West Bromwich Albion), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Everton), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady (Burnley), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Darron Gibson (Sunderland), Liam Kelly (Reading), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Jonathan Hayes (Aberdeen)

Forwards: Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Daryl Murphy (Newcastle United), Shane Long (Southampton), Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Adam Rooney (Aberdeen)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I'd be very worried if Long got injured looking at the strikers in that squad

• Advertisement

• https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0515/875236-ireland-squad/

Article on Kevin Longs call up

*Edit* Nice to see Doyler back

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0515/875236-ireland-squad/

"Doyler"...... ;)

Anyway, regarding Doyle, the "nice" to see him get a call up sentiments are just that as he offers us f all at this stage, even though he s only 33, and when you see someone like Sheridan and even Maguire not given a chance, it is wrong. I am all for experience in the squad, but at some stage you have to build a future. Kevin Doyle, lets be honest, hasn't scored a competive goal for Ireland in 5 years,(his last being against Kazakstan and Andorra) and isn't likely to get any minutes in a competitive international so why not bring Sheridan and Maguire in and try integrate them into the squad via the friendlies.

• "Doyler"...... ;)

Anyway, regarding Doyle, the "nice" to see him get a call up sentiments are just that as he offers us f all at this stage, even though he s only 33, and when you see someone like Sheridan and even Maguire not given a chance, it is wrong. I am all for experience in the squad, but at some stage you have to build a future. Kevin Doyle, lets be honest, hasn't scored a competive goal for Ireland in 5 years,(his last being against Kazakstan and Andorra) and isn't likely to get any minutes in a competitive international so why not bring Sheridan and Maguire in and try integrate them into the squad via the friendlies.

:confused::confused:

The Talking Bread;103516085
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0515/875236-ireland-squad/

"Doyler"...... ;)

Anyway, regarding Doyle, the "nice" to see him get a call up sentiments are just that as he offers us f all at this stage, even though he s only 33,  and when you see someone like Sheridan and even Maguire not given a chance, it is wrong. I am all for experience in the squad, but at some stage you have to build a future. Kevin Doyle, lets be honest, hasn't scored a competive goal for Ireland in 5 years,(his last being against Kazakstan and Andorra) and isn't likely to get any minutes in a competitive international so why not bring Sheridan and Maguire in and try integrate them into the squad via the friendlies.

I have the same sentiment around McShane. Not sure what is the point in including him.
    We have Egan, Boyle, and now Kevin Long in the squad who have future potential and deserve a run in friendlies.
    Duffy, Keogh, Pearce, O'Shea (and Clark when he's back) are also ahead of him in the queue.

I'd be very worried if Long got injured looking at the strikers in that squad
    I guess we'll play just one striker, with McClean or Wes as the support player.

This is definitely an area for MON and Roy to think about, as we barely had a shot on target in the last two games v Wales and Iceland, never mind a goal.

:confused::confused:

i have just never heard him referred to as Doyler!!

We are playing Mexico in NJ on the 1st June...news to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Time to give up on Hogan at least

Time to give up on Hogan at least

Yeah, I gave up on him at the turn of the year. Sadly for him, he isn't exactly flourishing in a bad Villa side either. 1 goal since he joined and struggling with injuries again and lack of game time.
    Feel sorry for the guy as he clearly is a very decent player and the abuse he got and the pressure exerted on him from some Irish fans because he (rightly) wanted to get his career back on track and concentrate on his club football was not deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,956 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Must win game on the 11th June against Austria, our usual stance of a draw might not be enough going into the later stages where we have to travel to Georgia, face Serbia and Moldova here and then a trip to Cardiff . A loss against Austria will be a disaster.

Serbia
    11th June- Wales (H)
    2nd Sep- Moldova (H)
    5th Sep- Ireland (A)
    6th Oct- Austria (A)
    9th Oct- Georgia (H)

Wales
    11th June- Serbia (A)
    2nd Sep- Austria (H)
    5th Sep- Moldova (A)
    6th Oct- Georgia (A)
    9th Oct- Ireland (H)