Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,955 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUbtjrfFTBn/

Bit cryptic from the Fai ??

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Walters will surely be up top for us against Austria now definitely once fit ? Arther getting a lot of grief on ybig forum but I think hel show up for us on the day, Wes needs to start but so does McClean and Brady so it will be interesting to see the line up Ward can't be took out of left back imo even with Clark,Coleman,McCarthy and Long out I'm still confident we will get a win here really looking forward to this one Austria are no world beaters we didn't just get lucky in Vienna , Arnautovic is a massive loss for them can't see Janko getting half as many opportunities with him out.

Kind of worried about Christie and would prefer Keogh over Josh paired with Duffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Walters will surely be up top for us against Austria now definitely once fit ? Arther getting a lot of grief on ybig forum but I think hel show up for us on the day, Wes needs to start but so does McClean and Brady so it will be interesting to see the line up Ward can't be took out of left back imo even with Clark,Coleman,McCarthy and Long out I'm still confident we will get a win here really looking forward to this one Austria are no world beaters we didn't just get lucky in Vienna , Arnautovic is a massive loss for them can't see Janko getting half as many opportunities with him out.

Kind of worried about Christie and would prefer Keogh over Josh paired with Duffy
    What's wrong with Clark and McCarthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Declan Rice called up. He has played about 3 minutes of PL football with West Ham this season.

It's definitely just for experience, but that's now almost 10 players who can play centre half in around the squad, while we have still no long term plan to develop strikers.

The lack of logic is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

McCarthy is named in the squad. Wouldn't be too worried about Christie playing as he's performed anytime he's been thrown into the first team. If I'd to name a starting 11 it would be:

Randolph

Christie - Keogh - Duffy - Ward

McCarthy/Arther - Hendricks

Walters - Wes - Brady

Murphy

Its a toss up between McCarthy and Arther depending on if you want McCarthy because he might be better defensivily or Arther whose better going forward with the ball.

Did Ronald Coeman not rule him out for the Austria game ? I know its not him making the call and himself and Mon are head to head the whole time but realistically I can't see him playing I sure as he'll hope I'm wrong however.
    Has Clark not a knee injury ?

McCarthy is named in the squad. Wouldn't be too worried about Christie playing as he's performed anytime he's been thrown into the first team. If I'd to name a starting 11 it would be:

Randolph

Walters - Wes - Brady

Murphy

Its a toss up between McCarthy and Arther depending on if you want McCarthy because he might be better defensivily or Arther whose better going forward with the ball.
    Like the look of that line up but no McClean ? Can't see him missing out especially going on his international form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Declan Rice off West Ham added to the squad...odd decision in a way...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Koeman ruled McCarthy out of the squad last week and said O'Neill agreed.

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »
    Declan Rice off West Ham added to the squad...odd decision in a way...

Good to see youth being brought into the senior side though. Training with senior players is gonna he'll him and if he does somehow get a run out against Mexico he might get more first team chances when he returns to West Ham. Think he plays in defence and can do a job in midfield.
    Like the look of that line up but no McClean ? Can't see him missing out especially going on his international form.

International form is all well and good but that was three months and Brady's the better player also imo. You could put him in ahead of Walters out right and push Walters up front but I've always preferred Walters out wide as it allows you to play two target men in the side with Walters and Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

There is no way McClean won't start. Been our best player, and most of our attacking impetus is centred around him in O'Neills tactics.

Walters will start up front. Murphy on bench

Ps, it HENDRICK, not Hendricks!! !!!!! Don't ask me why that irritates me, but it does!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

There is no way McClean won't start. Been our best player, and most of our attacking impetus is centred around him in O'Neills tactics.

Walters will start up front. Murphy on bench
    I think Murphy will start and Walters on the right flank, McClean on the left. Brady maybe to play in the number 10 position and Wes to miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Randolph

Walters - Wes - Brady

Murphy

Reckon it will be;
    Randolph

Christie - Clark - Duffy - Ward

Arthur - Hendrick

Walters - Brady - McClean

Murphy

Is Clark available? Him and Duffy are the first choice cb pairing I think although Josh and Keogh did ok v Wales. Keogh made one error that Bale nearly scored from. If Clark or Duffy aren't available or match fit O'Shea would be first to come in for me.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Reckon it will be;
    Randolph

Christie - Clark - Duffy - Ward

Arthur - Hendrick

Walters - Brady - McClean

Murphy

Is Clark available? Him and Duffy are the first choice cb pairing I think although Josh and Keogh did ok v Wales. Keogh made one error that Bale nearly scored from. If Clark or Duffy aren't available or match fit O'Shea would be first to come in for me.

Wasn't named in the squad so I presume he's still out injured.

I like Brady but wouldn't have him playing behind the striker ahead of Wes. If MON is gonna start McClean I'd say Brady will play left full like the away game against Austria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Bizarre that Rice was announced in the squad, when I saw the FAI teasing an announcement on Instagram I was thinking Maguire or Sheridan but Rice is not someone who even crossed my mind. Happy for the young lad and hopefully will be a familiar face in the Ireland squads for the next 15 years but we really need to be blooding through someone who can play up front.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think Murphy will start and Walters on the right flank, McClean on the left. Brady maybe to play in the number 10 position and Wes to miss out.

I was actually going to say that about Hoolahan possibly not starting but I just wasn't ar$ed getting involved in yet another Wes debate! It is tedious and we have heard it all before!

Cue multiple "he has to start" replies!

FWIW, I think he will though and I have no problem with him doing so but I wouldn't get into a hissy fit if he doesn't. With Long's pace gone, it will be a different approach anyway (possibly for the better)

Good to see I'm not the only one who agrees McClean has to start he's been probably our best player In this campaign. I can't see Ward being took out of lb especially with our first choice rb out, MON really has a headache on his hands we need Brady up the field but can McClean play on the right or behind the striker ? Think Wes will miss out on starting 11

I can see Brady at LB instead of Ward if only for his free-kick ability. Mc Clean ahead of him and Wes behind Walters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

JD and the missus were in Stockholm tonight.

Some man eh

• Advertisement

JD and the missus were in Stockholm tonight.

Some man eh

Who?!

John Delaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Davy Keogh was also in Stockholm saying Hello !

John Delaney

oh, well he is on the UEFA Executive Committee! So hardly unusual! Will probably be at the match Saturday week as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BUbtjrfFTBn/

Bit cryptic from the Fai ??

Thought they were going with New Balance

oh, well he is on the UEFA Executive Committee! So hardly unusual! Will probably be at the match Saturday week as well!

Is it UEFA or FAI money though?

I think we all know

Is it UEFA or FAI money though?

I think we all know

It is UEFA money clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Thought they were going with New Balance
    Deal starts in August, iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Keane does plenty of media despite just being assistant manager.

Could imagine if he saw something similar happening with another assistant he would be say something like What is doing so much media he is only the assistant manager

Practising for when he becomes manager maybe. He's probably odds on favourite to become the next Ireland manager when MON steps down.

Edit. By practising I mean his stint as assistant manager could be like an apprenticeship for the managers job. Give him extra stuff that a manager would do instead of an assistant to see if he's up to the task once MON steps aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I'm sure O'Neill is more than delighted he has someone like Keane who can do the whole interviews side of things.

O'Neill strikes me as someone who finds it a complete pain in the bollocks having to trot out the same spiel for every international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I'm sure O'Neill is more than delighted he has someone like Keane who can do the whole interviews side of things.

O'Neill strikes me as someone who finds it a complete pain in the bollocks having to trot out the same spiel for every international break.

Thats it.

Handy having a number two the media are only to happy to interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The media obligations are considered a pain in the hole by most because they cant say what they really think without pissing off somebody.

MON is only too happy to share the media crap with somebody that loves to express his opinion. You might agree or disagree with Keane's opinions but at least he doesnt sit on the fence and carved out a very good footballing career off the back of his attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

How Johnny Hayes hasn't been given a chance yet is beyond me. Absolutely dominating for Aberdeen vs Celtic so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sugarman wrote: »
    Hes had a very good season, 11 goals & 24 assists in all competitions this season.

He will be given a run out in the upcoming games id imagine. Hes a much better option than having Walters out wide for sure.

Not sure about the walters bit.

Whilst not attractive, walters undoubtedly fulfils a function out wide. He is certainly not ineffective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    How Johnny Hayes hasn't been given a chance yet is beyond me. .

Did he not start the last match (v Iceland) ?
    And I would too surprised if he starts the next one either.
    He also played a couple of games in the run-up to Euro 2016.

So not sure how you think he hasn't been given a chance

At the end of the day, you can only pick a couple of wingers in a team and there are at least 4 or 5 ahead of Johnny Hayes in that position at present, most would agree. Game time TOGETHER is vital for players in a national team that doesn't play together often so there comes a point when you need to concentrate on your main players rather than facilitate, out of experiment and "giving him a chance" when approaching a huge match like Austria.
    There are 2 friendlies. In my opinion, the core team that will start in 2 1/2 weeks need to play together in the Uruguay game.

I also think it was ridiculous to have 2 friendlies within 3 days of eachother, especially one on the other side of the Atlantic. Why not try space them out, if possible to 3 or 4 days.
    It merely means the Mexico friendly won't be anything but a training exercise for the lads that will start on the bench or may not even make the squad.

I often think Ireland's approach to most friendlies are merely training exercises at times whereas if you look across the board at top teams, they rarely put out a weakened starting 11.

I am all for giving players chances but there is no way Johnny Hayes will be deemed ahead of McClean, McGeady, Walters, Brady and even Horgan in the pecking order so using these friendlies to have these players playing with the expected starting 11 to help progress the team and have them ready for the Austria game is more NB than facilitating a run out for a player that we know MON won't start.

As I say it is rare our starting 11, like most national teams play together so ensuring they are working and progressing as a unit is most important in that Uruguay game, especially.

But like I alluded to the Mexico game is merely a cash earning run out with mainly very fringe players and maybe one or 2 more further up the pecking order so it won't (unless you haven't seen much of the players that may get a run out), tell much about our team. You would like to think MON and Roy are reviewing these players in a competitive environment anyway and not assessing them by virtue of a friendly run around in New Jersey.

Hopefully the Uruguay game will be used to better effect and the main core will start that game, especially given that Christie needs to build an understanding of the tactics and perhaps more significantly, given we are without Long and need to alter said tactics to a different degree to facilitate his replacement, given he is a very unique style player to what we have in reserve.

whats up with Harry Arter now ???

hes not in the squad for the mexico game

whats up with Harry Arter now ???

hes not in the squad for the mexico game

I wouldn't read much or anything into that squad. A fair amount of probable starters not included. Most of those brought over are players that need game time as they were not getting any/much at their clubs.

Most of our main players won't join up to the squad until 3rd June as they are given some time off after the season. Harry Arter had a very intense season and deserves and needs some recovery time, rather than hopping on a plane for a run around in New Jersey. He will be starting against Uruguay 2 days later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Brady, McClean and Horgan are all left footed, left wingers. They dont, and cant play on the right side of midfield for club nor country. They're all pretty bad on their right foot.

Hayes would only be really competing against Walters and McGeady for a spot on the right.

Hes ahead of both alright at present, McGeady having a stellar season himself and Walters the ever reliable.

But with our lack of options upfront, particularly with Long out, Walters is an absolute waste on the wing. Hes not able for it either as I said above, a mix of his recurrent knee injury and that hes pushing 34. I cant remember the last time he even started there for Stoke.

We've slim pickings, Walters, or Murphy. One turning 34, the other already 34.

I cant see Rooney, McGoldrick or Doyle making the final squad, or if they do, seeing any game time. Id have Hayes in ahead of them all.

Daryl Horgan is right footed, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Daryl Horgan is right footed, no?

He is but he usually plays from the left side.

yabadabado wrote: »
    He is but he usually plays from the left side.

That was with Dundalk, havent watched much of Preston but the few times I did he was mostly on the right and McGeady played on the left drifting into centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That was with Dundalk, havent watched much of Preston but the few times I did he was mostly on the right and McGeady played on the left drifting into centre.

He played abouthalf of his games for PNE on the left. I always thought he worked best from the LW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Brady, McClean and Horgan are all left footed, left wingers. They dont, and cant play on the right side of midfield for club nor country. They're all pretty bad on their right foot.

Stopped reading after this. Daryl Horgan is right-footed. Also, Hayes is playing in a dreadful league, SPL is awful standard.

yabadabado wrote: »
    He played abouthalf of his games for PNE on the left. I always thought he worked best from the LW.

He's equally as good with both feet I think but I agree that he works better from the LW position that he played with Dundalk as he's naturally right footed but he's not bad either on his left foot. Scored a lovely goal against Brentford with a left foot finish and same game McGeady ran the show from the left whose another player I think whose better in that LW cutting back in on his stronger right foot.

• Advertisement

So if Wales lose to Serbia and we beat Austria are Wales and Austria basically out of the running ???

Have a feeling it will be a ususal draw for us and Wales will get a draw with Seriba

It would be a massive dent in their hopes of automatic qualication but one of them could still get the second spot depending on results. Best results for Ireland imo would be a Wales win against Serbia and obviously we beat Austria. Coming second doesn't guarentee you a play off spot so Serbia dropping points and if we can go three points ahead of them would give us a good platform going into the game against them in September giving that they have Moldova at home and we have Georgia away the week before we play each other.

It would be a massive dent in their hopes of automatic qualication but one of them could still get the second spot depending on results. Best results for Ireland imo would be a Wales win against Serbia and obviously we beat Austria. Coming second doesn't guarentee you a play off spot so Serbia dropping points and if we can go three points ahead of them would give us a good platform going into the game against them in September giving that they have Moldova at home and we have Georgia away the week before we play each other.

Georiga owe us one and are a hard team too beat at home

A win over Austria sunday week would be brillent and its out best chance as there missing a few guys but you knw us and draws. Austria will give it everything though as they need something from this game

Just seeing that Paul McShane might start on Sunday !!
    What is the point? He's about 32 years old now.

Why not give someone new a chance like John Egan, someone for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Georiga owe us one and are a hard team too beat at home

A win over Austria sunday week would be brillent and its out best chance as there missing a few guys but you knw us and draws. Austria will give it everything though as they need something from this game
    I would say Georgia owe us nothing after beating Scotland last time and drawing with Wales in Cardiff this tournament!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement