Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

McClean talkiing about some of his Irish colleagues.

"I just want to play. It gets on my nerves when players come in and they're not fit for games, but they are for the club games at the weekend. That gets to me."

Wonder who he's on about there, or which Everton player should I ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jayop wrote: »
    McClean talkiing about some of his Irish colleagues.

"I just want to play. It gets on my nerves when players come in and they're not fit for games, but they are for the club games at the weekend. That gets to me."

Wonder who he's on about there, or which Everton player should I ask?

More chance it's Arter imo if he's on about anyone in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So if Wales lose to Serbia and we beat Austria are Wales and Austria basically out of the running ???

Have a feeling it will be a ususal draw for us and Wales will get a draw with Seriba

I can see our game with Austria ending in a draw for sure but I would be shocked of the Serbs didn't beat Wales especially as the Welsh will be without Bale.

Just seeing that Paul McShane might start on Sunday !!
    What is the point? He's about 32 years old now.

Why not give someone new a chance like John Egan, someone for the future.

Agreed but it may be a case of using all the players who won't be in the match squad v Austria in the 2 friendlies to give everyone a run out.
    It will be disappointing if MON doesn't give time to the uncapped/young lads in both friendlies .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

I think if we win Sunday week and Wales draw/lose we are at least guaranteed a playoff spot at the very least, honestly even with Wales without Bale and Taylor I can still see them surprising everyone and winning here there's going to be a spanner thrown in the works next weekend I just hope it's not us that's dropping points realistically can see us drawing but really hope I'm wrong I'm more worried about this Austria game then when the Serbs come to Dublin in September for some reason us drawing at home to a weak Austria team would be huge points dropped and a killer on confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

We better go for it Sunday week. This is a big chance to put ourselves massively in the driving seat of the group. Should be aiming for 9 points in our remaining three home games. None of the usual attitude of 5/7 wouldn't be too bad. Lets actually be positive, be confident if not slightly arrogant, and expect to win these three games. This is the best chance to top a World Cup group we're going to have for a long time.

Agree big time definitley should be going all out here to win think Austria will find it very hard to break us down best defensive record in the group after 5 games played and with 3 of them games away thats pretty impressive its scoring ourselves where theres going to be problems really looking forward to this one. If i was offered another boring 1-0 with only the one shot on target id snap your hand off :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

15 years ago today Ireland kicked off their 2002 world cup with a 1-1 draw with Cameroon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

adaminho wrote: »
    15 years ago today Ireland kicked off their 2002 world cup with a 1-1 draw with Cameroon.

And we all got up early to watch it.

Drinking pints at 7am in the morning .Man that was one messy Saturday afternoon:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,955 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Made my confirmation that day

I'd love if we got too Russia next summer. There will be one hell of a party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

yabadabado wrote: »
    Drinking pints at 7am in the morning .Man that was one messy Saturday afternoon:D

We ended up getting a minibus to Kilkenny to see Peter Kaye only to find out he was cancelled cause Aer Lingus were on strike. Ended up seeing Bill Bailey and getting slagged cause we were so drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Interesting talk of MON trying out the wing back system tonight, with 3 at the back. Worked well for him during his Celtic days.

Worth trying and may relieve pressure on Christie defensively, and could accommodate Wes in the No. 10 role.

The likes of Brady, McClean or Coleman when he returns could potentially be excellent wing backs.

Any word on the team for tonight ? Hope Horgan gets a run any links to watch it ? Off work tomorrow so may as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

yabadabado wrote: »

Tell me about it! a few days before my leaving cert started too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Is it not on any tv channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

markc91 wrote: »
    Is it not on any tv channels?

Eir Sport 2

Eir Sport 2

That channel called(I think) PremierSport TV have it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Any lineups avaliable, couldn't find anything on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Starting team is:

Randolph
    Christie
    Duffy
    Keogh
    Egan
    Hourihane
    O Dowda
    McClean
    Horgan
    McGoldrick
    Murphy

Not sure what formation is, looks like a 3-5-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Young team, 3-5-2 formation. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Ireland Subs: Doyle (GK), Pearce, K. Long, Boyle, O'Kane, Gleeson, Hoolahan, Browne

I know it's all about giving lads minutes but why start with Hourihane as our only centre midfielder and one whose more of an attacking midfielder and having four midfielders on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Counter attack and a lovely finish from Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Balls... poor defending for that. 1-0 Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Good to see Duffy back after injury. Conceding an early goal with such an inexperienced side out could be a recipe for a drubbing though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

This ain't going well. Defence is a mess. Horgan looks lost.

Christie doing well but a bit of a headless chicken in part.

saying that could have easily been ahead earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

jesus I planned to stay to watch this but turned it off after the peno. I can't watch that ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Shocking from McClean, terrible pen to give away. What was he trying to do?!

2-0 Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

What is the point of this honestly? This formation will be scrapped after the game, some these players won't play in these posistions ever again where learning nothing from it waste of time.

Maybe this is why this was put on after the watershed !!

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote: »
    What is the point of this honestly? This formation will be scrapped after the game, some these players won't play in these posistions ever again where learning nothing from it waste of time.

one-handred-dollars-over-three-one-dollar-notes.jpg

Horgan has looked lively when he gets on the ball but is lost when Ireland are outta position. I'd get McClean and Murphy off at half time and push Horgan out to wing back and O'Dowda up front to get O'Kane and Wes into that midfield.

At 24, there is a good chance that Horgan won't "improve" much, despite what is a step up. A player like him would be stuck in a lot of habits. And whilst a lot of those habits are good habits, like his ability to cross, his ability to pick out a pass, there are some things he would need a decent bit of work on to be a solid international player.
    Both McClean and Coleman were 4 years younger or so when they moved and that is a lot of time in the development of players.

Be very hard for him to reach the levels the 2 lads have reached in terms of top tier level.

Hopefully I am wrong though. He showed what he can do against good professional competition last year.

He just looks a bit indisciplined tonight.

Martin O Neill in a spat with the Meh-i-co boss!!

I wouldn't mess with MON, buddy, despite the fact that he looks like a stressed out accountant!

Anyway, I have seen enough! That Mexico jersey is top notch though!

He just looks a bit indisciplined tonight.

Doesn't help when you're played out of position in centre midfield. I know it's all about getting lads minutes before the Austria match but at least play them in their proper positions. O'Dowda looked well when he played back in March and was looking forward to seeing him play tonight but he's been ineffective tonight asked to play in midfield with Horgan. Need to get O'Kane on at least cause Mexico have all the time in the world when they have the ball in midfield.

No changes for Ireland at half time, time for bed me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Heading to bed. Can't watch this crap. Mexico aren't even playing good football either. It's just typical Ireland. What's the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Feel sorry for Hourihane....you wait all your career for a chance like this and you end up being picked in basically a one man central midfield!

Masterstroke from O Neill in fairness....

You wouldn't pick this formation if you were playing as Barcelona on a game of Fifa. Silly stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Finished 3-1. Stephen Gleeson with our goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Totally outclassed tonight, 3-1 flattered us. Not the first team though tbf.

On the positive side, them Mexicans were bloody brilliant, weren't they? Three cheers for Corona!

• Advertisement

If I wanted to show to everyone that we have to play 4-4-2 and as a country we're unable to change, I would have done exactly what MON did tonight. Whenever his 4-4-2 is challenged again he can point to this game.

If he was seriously thinking about a 3-5-2 as a way to go, and he thought that that midfield was a good way to test it, then I'd be very worried that he has lost the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

When's the last time we started with 9 championship players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Shocking from McClean, terrible pen to give away. What was he trying to do?!

2-0 Mexico.

Bit rusty in fairness.

RTE calling this whole affair a disaster but I wouldn't be overly pessemistic.

3-1 isn't an embarassment even if it flatters us.

Thanks God we have two friendlies though - might even have been worth sticking in a third such is the gap between the club season and the Austria game.

We were dirt and it was a pointless exercise going to US for a game.
    I genuinely don't think there was any positives from the match.
    Sickened I stayed up for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I know last night was meaningless but its scarily obvious, and has been for some time, that there are literally no young players of top quality coming through.

Last night we should have had a couple of nineteen or twenty year old real prospects playing but they just dont exist.

This in an era of ruud doktor and every eejit in the pub getting a couple of coaching badges and putting the " expertise " and sessions up on Facebook.

I worry for the future, at schoolboy level competition and winning are somehow now bad words and guardiola ball and overcomplicated sessions with nothing but the coaches ego in mind is the norm.

We are falling into an english mentality, we are losing our identity which made us a nightmare to play against ( not o neills team by the way )

We have to stop wanting to be like the dutch or the spanish, its not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

If I wanted to show to everyone that we have to play 4-4-2 and as a country we're unable to change, I would have done exactly what MON did tonight. Whenever his 4-4-2 is challenged again he can point to this game.

If he was seriously thinking about a 3-5-2 as a way to go, and he thought that that midfield was a good way to test it, then I'd be very worried that he has lost the plot.

:confused::confused: We don't play 4-4-2 under Martin O'Neill.

Incidentally, I don't think last night's game could be used as an indicator for any theory. Half the team had no experience. We were playing an untested (and obviously not worked on) formation with players starting way out of their natural positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

any highlights anywhere?

Mexico game was never going to be anything but a cash cow woudnt take anything from it alot more familiar faces will be playing against Uruguay on Sunday wonder will McGoldrick get another start for this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

• Advertisement

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

:confused::confused: We don't play 4-4-2 under Martin O'Neill.

Incidentally, I don't think last night's game could be used as an indicator for any theory. Half the team had no experience. We were playing an untested (and obviously not worked on) formation with players starting way out of their natural positions.

You're right. I should've said back four. I thought a back three with wing backs might suit us but doubt he'll try that again regardless of personnel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement