Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Realistically you have to keep it simple in international football. O'Neill doesn't have the time to prepare the players to play with a back three and wing backs when they never do it with their clubs.
    I'd like to think the team selection and formation last night was two fingers to the FAI for bringing us out to the states a week before a massive game due to nothing more than greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Realistically you have to keep it simple in international football. O'Neill doesn't have the time to prepare the players to play with a back three and wing backs when they never do it with their clubs.

Yes. And on second thoughts, the back three probably works best when the defenders are more comfortable on the ball and when they have different styles.

Also better when you're dominating possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

That game was a typical fai money spinner. Of no benefit to the players or management at all. All you can say for it is we got to find out 352 with half the squad missing doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Yeah what was the point in last night's game, why travel all the way to the US? and they had to play at 1:30am in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Travelling to the States 10 days before a huge WC clash.

Only in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yeah what was the point in last night's game, why travel all the way to the US? and they had to play at 1:30am in the morning.

America has slightly different time line!!

The friendly was an FAI money spinner. Had nothing to benefit the team that will step out against Austria.

The amount of Mexicans and indeed a fair Irish contingent ensured a full house.. And indeed decent TV rights money. As pointless for our team and indeed potentially harmful the FAI have to do these things sadly they feel to keep the flow of cash running.

Anyway its done now. Hopefully they will learn from it ......but then again this isn't the first time they have put money ahead of our progress as a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The friendly was an FAI money spinner. Had nothing to benefit the team that will step out against Austria.

The amount of Mexicans and indeed a fair Irish contingent ensured a full house.. And indeed decent TV rights money. As pointless for our team and indeed potentially harmful the FAI have to do these things sadly they feel to keep the flow of cash running.

Anyway its done now. Hopefully they will learn from it ......but then again this isn't the first time they have put money ahead of our progress as a team.

I think the point was the acclimatising to another time zone and back again in such a short time frame.

I'm glad those players got game time, only a handful will be involved against Austria and on that basis I'm a bit meh about it.

In fairness the money for that game should cover Delaneys wages for a year or two and my god how lost we'd be without our Lord and saviour John Delaney.

noodler wrote: »

I think the point was the acclimatising to another time zone and back again in such a short time frame.

I'm glad those players got game time, only a handful will be involved against Austria and on that basis I'm a bit meh about it.

"Acclimatising to a new time zone"!

Stop! I doubt Delaney and his cronies give a crap about time zones! ! Mon didn't want this friendly, he made that clear with a few of his usual little digs today!
    But he gets a nice pay package so has to abide by contractual issues and claim positives from the trip!

Besides why would he bring fringe and indeed fringe of fringe players out if he wanted to test them in a climate!

Ha! Sorry to be a d**k and please don't take any offence but that acclimatising thing made me laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Stop! I doubt Delaney and his cronies give a crap about time zones! ! Mon didn't want this friendly, he made that clear with a few of his usual little digs today!
    But he gets a nice pay package so has to abide by contractual issues and claim positives from the trip!

Besides why would he bring fringe and indeed fringe of fringe players out if he wanted to test them in a climate!

Ha! Sorry to be a d**k and please don't take any offence but that acclimatising thing made me laugh!

He was saying that the acclimatising to a new time zone was what was wrong with the entire trip, but don't let that get in the way of your rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think we can all agree the FAI are ***** .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Lads, I have tickets for the Uruguay game, what team do you think he will field?

Hope it's competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He'll pick the strongest team available to him I'd say, could see the first 11 that will play against Austria start against Uruguay or mix a couple of subs in and not start Murphy or McClean who started against Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

He'll pick the strongest team available to him I'd say, could see the first 11 that will play against Austria start against Uruguay or mix a couple of subs in and not start Murphy or McClean who started against Mexico.

That's what I'm hoping for.

He was saying that the acclimatising to a new time zone was what was wrong with the entire trip, but don't let that get in the way of your rant.

Precisely.

Jesus not sure what you were on about there Talking Bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Still can't quite understand last nights formation. A new formation in a friendly with the first team makes sense. But a new formation with the B or C team is totally counter-productive. If any of those players come into 1st team contention, you want them slipping straight into the familiar, not having to adjust to something completely different again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Agreed. I think we will likely go with as close to the Austria game lineup as we possibly can. Hopefully will be a good game especially if Uruguay play a strong team as they really have some fantastic players.

It wasn't a rant. ..... I (obviously wrongly) misinterpreted what he said as if he was giving a reason for the trip being a chance to acclimatise to a new time zone. Obviously misinterpreted the poster!

Wasn't a rant, I'm not here to make enemies!!

Precisely.

Jesus not sure what you were on about there Talking Bread.

Sorry I thought you were saying that the opportunity of acclimatising to a new time zone was a reason they decided to head stateside! I misinterpreted your post. No harm done!
    The sun has obviously got to my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It was a warm-up game !

The Mexico game was useful because players who needed game time got it.

Randaloh, Duffy, Christie and Murphy for example all will benefit greatly, and probably will start v Austria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland are staring down the barrel of 3 straight friendly defeats. In one sense, friendlies are not important, but 3 defeats in a row can't do any good for a team's confidence.

Here's hoping that the players can mentally compartmentalize the last 3 months and go into the Austria game with belief. The mid-June slot is my least favourite slot in the qualifying schedule at the best of times.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think we can all agree the FAI are ***** .

It was a very nice moment at a rovers game recently, against Galway I think, when Delaney was spotted in the crowd and both sets of fans joined together to sing anti Delaney and fai songs.

It was a warm-up game !

Randaloh, Duffy, Christie and Murphy for example all will benefit greatly, and probably will start v Austria

Could have done that here or nearby and avoided the many problems that come with playing in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

D14Rugby wrote: »
    It was a warm-up game !

Could have done that here or nearby and avoided the many problems that come with playing in the US.

Probably true

Some great news (unless you are a Cork City fan! !)

Sean Maguire is moving to Preston. Some Irish contingent there now.

Scored a hattrick last night away to Dundalk. Really seems to be a top goalscorer

Most importantly, MON and Keane were at the match as well!

Luckily for Cork he's not moving until the end of July so will be there for the first round of qualifiers and the second round if they can get through which is good news for them as I think getting to the second round is worth more than winning the league and the fee they'll get for Maguire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Ill reserve my judgement until he proves himself at a higher level but hopefully he can build on his scoring at Preston

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Really hope it works out for him this time round good news anyway and will surely improve his chances of being called up in the future we are crying out for him to be a success. Johnny Hayes to Celtic ?

• Advertisement

Sin City wrote: »
    Ill reserve my judgement until he proves himself at a higher level but hopefully he can build on his scoring at Preston

Well, obviously. That is a given.

But there hasn't been too many LOI players that have shown such a striker's instinct over the years, even the last couple of decades. It sounds exaggerated but it is true. And the standard in the league has improved a lot.
    You can only have optimism. If he can come in to a game and have that instinct to position himself in the box, which he has shown, that isn't something easily thought at any level.

He obviously won't be as prolific as he is in a half amateur league but all it takes is one moment of instinct to get on the end of a cross and it could be the difference for us in a game.
    Playing with McGeady and Horgan will also be good as they could build up a bit of understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Well, obviously. That is a given.

But there hasn't been too many LOI players that have shown such a striker's instinct over the years, even the last couple of decades. It sounds exaggerated but it is true. And the standard in the league has improved a lot.
    You can only have optimism. If he can come in to a game and have that instinct to position himself in the box, which he has shown, that isn't something easily thought at any level.

He obviously won't be as prolific as he is in a half amateur league but all it takes is one moment of instinct to get on the end of a cross and it could be the difference for us in a game.
    Playing with McGeady and Horgan will also be good as they could build up a bit of understanding.

Yeah playing in the same team as Horgan and McGeady (if he can stay at Preston ) will benefit him and Ireland immensely . But as for now I do believe the calls for him being included at this time is a bit premature

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thank god the North played New Zealand,Delaney would have been on the phone trying to fix a game with New Zealand in New Zealand

"Dont worry lads we'll come to you"

I think we are due a friendly against Oman soon as well :D

He obviously won't be as prolific as he is in a half amateur league

Sorry to be pedantic but it's a half pro half semi pro league.

I hope maguire gets his chance at presto because too often managers don't play the players they buy from the LOI because they don't trust the standard they were up against but when they do trust them it pays off.
    Look at Enda Stevens, he went to villa but was never really allowed to establish himself despite playing well when he played,then he moved to Portsmouth and got in the football league team of the year and just signed for Sheffield United in the championship, and he should really have been in the Ireland squad .
    The LOI is a good standard, not champions league but you saw dundalk in Europe it's a good standard managers just need to trust that and trust the players they get from here. But how can they do that when the people of Ireland constantly talk the league down?
    Rant over apologises for it

Sorry to be pedantic but it's a half pro half semi pro league.

No, you aren't!

No, you aren't!

Yeah you're right :D

• Advertisement

Any other strikers other than Long and Doyle come over mid career with any success?

Any other strikers other than Long and Doyle come over mid career with any success?

Conor Sammon :D

Well Sammon was 22 when he went over to Scotland!
    He got a few games under Trap towards the end of his era and I remember him playing well against Austria? (or was it Sweden) when he won us a penalty!

He is also a cousin of a friend of mine and I seen him playing in UCD campus a few times.

He has a couple of brothers and, I swear, they are f'king identical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Long was 18 when he went to Reading.

If you count hoolahan as a striker, I know pushing it but he's almost one. He went to Scotland around the same age as maguire

And Kevin Doyle was 21 when he joined Reading, would hardly call that mid career.

• Advertisement

off the top of my head players who ive seen play as strikers who i cant remember when they went over but who've gone over to various levels of success would be:
    Paddy Madden, Roy O'Donovan, Daryl Murphy, Padraig Amond, Noel Hunt, Paddy McCourt (more a winger), James McLean (more a winger)

If you count hoolahan as a striker, I know pushing it but he's almost one. He went to Scotland around the same age as maguire

Hoolahan is far from a striker!

Hoolahan is far from a striker!

well he plays the number 10 role which traditionally was a striker thats what im basing that off

well he plays the number 10 role which traditionally was a striker thats what im basing that off

Now here is me returning the favour and being pedantic! :D

Traditional No. 10 role is always portrayed as an attacking midfielder/playmaker. Whereas number 9 is a forward in the "striker" sense.

There are "False 9s" (Messi for example) and "false tens" (, Walters often falls into this position for Ireland) but Hoolahan is merely a traditional 10.

Now here is me returning the favour and being pedantic! :D

Traditional No. 10 role is always portrayed as an attacking midfielder/playmaker. Whereas number 9 is a forward in the "striker" sense.

There are "False 9s" (Messi for example) and "false tens" (, Walters often falls into this position for Ireland) but Hoolahan is merely a traditional 10.

But in a good old 442 with the players numbered by position the 10 is a striker. thought these days many positions blur the lines between striker,midfielder and defender so id count Hoolahan as either a striker or midfielder depending on which suits my point better :D

But in a good old 442 with the players numbered by position the 10 is a striker. thought these days many positions blur the lines between striker,midfielder and defender so id count Hoolahan as either a striker or midfielder depending on which suits my point better :D

But we don't play 4-4-2!

And if we did, Hoolahan probably wouldn't even be on the pitch!!

A striker is what it says on the tin. Players whose objective is to station themselves close to goal and mainly to try convert chances. If you done a position pattern of Hoolahan during games, it paints a very much different picture.

I don't like the term striker anyway, and it is rarely ever used!

But we don't play 4-4-2!

And if we did, Hoolahan probably wouldn't even be on the pitch!!

A striker is what it says on the tin. Players whose objective is to station themselves close to goal and mainly to try convert chances. If you done a position pattern of Hoolahan during games, it paints a very much different picture.

I don't like the term striker anyway, and it is rarely ever used!

I'll let you have this one but I'm still using hoolahan as an example attacking player going over at a similar age to maguire

I'll let you have this one but I'm still using hoolahan as an example attacking player going over at a similar age to maguire

Not arguing with that term!! Just the idea of him being a striker or even a forward!

Not arguing with that term!! Just the idea of him being a striker or even a forward!

I know that's why I worded it as such. I still think in the context of the conversation he counts.

And Kevin Doyle was 21 when he joined Reading, would hardly call that mid career.

Fair.

I guess it hardly is.

I should have rephrased to say has anyone been plucked from LOI based on their performances there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement