Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hoolahan is far from a striker!

Christ, who cares.

Pedantic is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

noodler wrote: »
    Fair.

I guess it hardly is.

I should have rephrased to say has anyone been plucked from LOI based on their performances there.
    Players are staying longer in the league of Ireland now. Getting more experience playing competitive games will stand to them. Look at Daryl Horgan going over a few months ago and establishing himself immediately.

One example I can think of though, Eoin Doyle was a similar age going over as Seani and has done alright over there. Wasn't near as highly rated over here prior to going though, think Maguire will turn out to be a better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Christ, who cares.

Pedantic is right.

??? :confused:

Eh, ok. Who cares indeed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Fair.

I guess it hardly is.

I should have rephrased to say has anyone been plucked from LOI based on their performances there.

Kevin Doyle, Roy O'Donovan, Daryl Horgan, James McClean, Chris Forrester, I'd say majority of lads are picked for their performances in the league but you also get lads moving over for the security of a decent wage and a 52 week contract. I know alright Shane Long only played a handful of games for Cork so would have been brought over as a young lad with potential and Alan Browne would have been the same as he didn't make a first team appearance for Cork before moving.

Players are staying longer in the league of Ireland now. Getting more experience playing competitive games will stand to them. Look at Daryl Horgan going over a few months ago and establishing himself immediately.

One example I can think of though, Eoin Doyle was a similar age going over as Seani and has done alright over there. Wasn't near as highly rated over here prior to going though, think Maguire will turn out to be a better player.

Should be something that the FAI try to push hard for young lads in Ireland to keep them at home to develop with actual competitive game time at a young age. English clubs aren't gonna develop our players anymore because with the money they have they can just buy first team players but will still take the cream of the crop from Ireland just in case but wouldn't be too bothered if none of them develop as it probably only costed them a couple of grand and a bag of balls to bring young Paddy from Cork over at 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Os the game on tv tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kevin Doyle, Roy O'Donovan, Daryl Horgan, James McClean, Chris Forrester, I'd say majority of lads are picked for their performances in the league but you also get lads moving over for the security of a decent wage and a 52 week contract. I know alright Shane Long only played a handful of games for Cork so would have been brought over as a young lad with potential and Alan Browne would have been the same as he didn't make a first team appearance for Cork before moving.

Just strikers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Eir Sport 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Rte 2 showing highlights at 11.35 tonight

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Seems to be well respected at Peterborough still although they did take the captaincy off him.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/peterborough-chairman-places-a-lavish-price-tag-on-dubliner-chris-forrester-35352783.html

https://www.balls.ie/football/chris-forrester-peterborough-captaincy-366238

I reckon if he moved up to the Championship MON would show more interest in him. Apparently Sunderland and Palace approached Posh re him in January. Norwich and Derby also sent scouts when he played in The FA CUP match v Chelsea and he was praised

Just strikers though.

Off the top of my head Doyle, Hunt, Murphy, O'Donovan and Long. Long was more signed on potential and actually played centre half in the Kennedy Cup I think and Paddy Madden was capped once by Ireland after coming over but is a league one striker at best.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Whatever happened Forrester anyway? Was always touted for bigger things. Did he just regress badly?

Doing very well at Peterborough and is their captain but can't see him getting into the Ireland match day squad until he's playing Championship, think he's being brought into one or two extended squads alright.

Edit: just saw that TTB posted he's not the captain anymore. Wouldn't be surprised to see that he's moving on and that's why he's not captain anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Manager said he took the captaincy off Forrester as he was overwhelmed by the responsibility. That could be complete bs and wouldn't be surprised to see him move to a championship club this summer and he is well able for it.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Manager said he took the captaincy off Forrester as he was overwhelmed by the responsibility. That could be complete bs and wouldn't be surprised to see him move to a championship club this summer and he is well able for it.

Seen it before. Some players aren't cut out to be captains, no matter how influential to the team they are. Forrester was the best midfielder in the league in many pundits opinions, but the captaincy possibly led to issues re temperment and too much focus by him on leading by example which came at the expense of his actual play.

It is rare the best/most important player at a club gets the captaincy and captaincy is meaningless for the most part unless you are stalwart figures like Terry/Gerrard/Keane/Cafu/Thiago Silva .

Maturity plays a lot on captaincy decisions also. And more importantly respect and a good rapport and vocal communication with your team mates .

Maybe Forrester is just an annoying g*t that the other players don't like or want to listen to :D (joke, before anyone accuses me of defaming the lad!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Is todays game not on the box? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,953 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

with Clark, Coleman, Mccarthy and Shane Long out for the Austria game i think a win for us maybe a stretch too far, hope im wrong though. A draw may not be enough in the long run

why cant we get a fully fit squad ???

py2006 wrote: »
    Is todays game not on the box? :eek:

Eir have it.

Eir have it.

yeah i have to use alternatvie ways of watching it

Seen it before. Some players aren't cut out to be captains, no matter how influential to the team they are. Forrester was the best midfielder in the league in many pundits opinions, but the captaincy possibly led to issues re temperment and too much focus by him on leading by example which came at the expense of his actual play.

I'm surprised they made him captain after his first season there. He's the most naturally gifted player I've seen in the loi in the last few years, just made things look easy but he never struck me as captain material and he was still young when named captain (23).

Hopefully he gets a move to a championship team and a chance with the national team unless there's other reasons why he doesn't make squads and not just cause there's players playing at a higher level. Wonder does Preston need another Irish and ex loi player in their squad :D

PTH2009 wrote: »
    with Clark, Coleman, Mccarthy and Shane Long out for the Austria game i think a win for us maybe a stretch too far, hope im wrong though. A draw may not be enough in the long run

why cant we get a fully fit squad ???

I know a draw is 2 points lost but a win is far more important to Austria than a win is to us.
    If Serbia beat Wales, it is hard to see us missing out on a top 2 place unless Austria beat us.

Whatever happens in Belgrade could really shape the group, moreso than what happens in Dublin. But both huge games.

Like against Wales, I will be a little bit disappointed but not that despondent with a point. If a point was offered before the Wales game, you would have had to take it, if you took a calculated approach.

The best thing about it all is that it is in our hands now and we have rarely been in that position at such a juncture. It alleviates a lot of pressure

• Advertisement

few sanarios but too be simple an Irish win next sunday would be ideal

draws in the Serbia vs Wales and Ireland vs Austria
    1 Serbia (12)
    2 Ireland (12)
    3 Wales (8)
    4 Austria (8)

Serbia win and we draw
    1 Serbia (14)
    2 Ireland (12)
    3 Austria (9)
    4 Wales (7)

Wales win and we draw
    1 Ireland (12)
    2 Serbia (11)
    3 Wales (10)
    4 Austria (8)

Wales win and Austria win :eek::eek::eek:
    1 Serbia (11)
    2 Ireland (11)
    3 Wales (10)
    4 Austria (10)

Serbia/Wales draw and Austria win :eek::eek:
    1 Serbia (12)
    2 Ireland (11)
    3 Austria (10)
    4 Wales (8)

Serbia and Austria win
    1 Serbia (14)
    2 Ireland (11)
    3 Austria (10)
    4 Wales (7)

Matchday 7 (2nd Sep 2017)
    Georgia vs Ireland
    Serbia vs Moldova
    Wales vs Austria

Matchday 8 (5th Sep 2017)
    Ireland vs Serbia
    Austria vs Georgia
    Moldova vs Wales

no matter what the result is next weekend, we have too win in Georgia in september or it could be bye bye (even a draw there would be a disaster)

I'd expect Serbia to beat Wales.A loss for Wales and a result for us really opens up a nice gap.A win on Sunday week would be huge.

Would a Serbia and Ireland win be the best results for us that could happen consideing it would most definitely leave it a two horse race with Austria and Wales having way too much of a catch up. Or would a Wales draw or win in Belgrade be a good or bad thing for us considering we have to go to Cardiff last game of the group and it would put them back in contention ?
    I think we will draw against Austria when it comes down to it.

I think a Ireland win and Sebia dropping points is the best scenario but can't see Wales getting anything from that game.Wales would still need to make up a lot of ground in the remaining games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No bags allowed inside Lansdowne Road today.

So your ma has to stay at home.

A Wales/Serbia draw and an Ireland win, in my opinion would be the very best scenario. A point for Wales doesn't hugely affect us but 2 points lost for Serbia is great for us. Especially if we beat Austria

Wales also play Austria in the next group of games. So that will be more points dropped for at least one of them

We are blessed having Wales away as things stand as our final game as having Wales them out of contention by then (which I think they will be in the balance of probability looking at the fixtures) will allow us to take advantage of them not having anything to play for.

So many scenarios but we are justifiably favourites to win the group you would feel at the moment?

I would have Serbia favourites to win the group and they are favorites afaik.
    3 home games and us and Austria away.Austria game is second last and I'd expect them to be out of the running by then.A draw in Dublin is a good result for them.

Hopefully I'm wrong be brilliant to top the group.

I would have Serbia favourites to win the group and they are favorites afaik.
    3 home games and us and Austria away.Austria game is second last and I'd expect them to be out of the running by then.A draw in Dublin is a good result for them.

Hopefully I'm wrong be brilliant to top the group.

No, Ireland are market odds favourites but just marginally by a point (13/8 -v- 7/4) (Paddy Power)

Wales are 5/2 which is a very low price, given the fixtures and table as they lie. Austria are 9/1

Serbia are favs with Powers and I think they are with all the other top firms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Irish bookie would reflect the business they have from Ireland which could skew the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Walters on his own up front and Johnny Hayes starting, but Adam Rooney can't even make the squad.

Did he kick O'Neill's dog or something?

Actually, I see that, this is the source I got my info from, so I was misled. Bit odd! But yeah, you are correct

http://world-cup.betting-directory.com/group-d-qualifying.php

Walters on his own up front and Johnny Hayes starting, but Adam Rooney can't even make the squad.

Did he kick O'Neill's dog or something?

Adam Rooney scored 12 goals in 38 league appearances, not really a great record when you consider Hayes has 9 goals in 32 league appearances.

Not a bad starting line up actually. Long and Hayes would be the only two who wouldn't be first choice and a good game for Hayes could really see him push for a starting spot.

Most would agree Jonny Hayes is a better player, which explains his inclusion over Rooney. He also is quicker and better at covering back. They are 2 different players in 2 different positions and Hayes suits Ireland's system more than Rooney does. walters was never going to be dropped and Murphy would be ahead of Rooney anyway.

Is Kerr commentating tonight? I am watching it on Eirsport but haven't seen it mention the commentators

If it is Kerr, I am looking forward to him referring to the tongue twisting "Urretaviscaya "

Meh, it is Keith Andrews................... zzzzzzz

Whose been named on the subs bench?

Whose been named on the subs bench?

Whoever is in the squad.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/xGW85C8J/#lineups;1

• Advertisement

Was certain that was Harrys moment he was ruled out for Austria game !!

That is top notch by McClean. One of the reasons he is one of the most important players for us at the moment. Love him

Some big calls for next weekend imo, gonna be hard to predict what next week's starting 11 will be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Some big calls for next weekend imo, gonna be hard to predict what next week's starting 11 will be like.

Westwood being one of them imo. He deserves a start.

Really?

I imagine McClean coming in for Hayes and Brady moving a tiny bit more centrally at times will be the only change? And centre back of course.

Walters' performance up front showed that he will play in that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Randolph
    Christie - Duffy - Keogh - Ward
    Whelan
    Arter - Hendrick
    Brady - Walters - McClean
    Long in for Keogh maybe, Hoolahan as an impact sub I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Randolph
    Christie
    Keogh
    Duffy
    Ward
    Whelan
    Arter
    Hendrick
    Brady
    McClean
    Walters

That's the team I'd expect .

Randolph
    Christie - Duffy - Keogh - Ward
    Whelan
    Arter - Hendrick
    Brady - Walters - McClean
    Long in for Keogh maybe, Hoolahan as an impact sub I'd imagine.

Obviously there will be a bit of meddling around in the MF with Brady obviously moving to the left side and Hendrick covering ground out right with Walters and McClean interchanging a bit with Walters covering the right flank a bit and McClean pushing in more centrally to accomodate that but that is about right you would imagine.

Really?

I imagine McClean coming in for Hayes and Brady moving a tiny bit more centrally at times will be the only change? And centre back of course.

Walters' performance up front showed that he will play in that role.

Yeah I think its gonna be hard to predict how Ireland line up against Austria. The back four played well tonight so could easily keep the same four that started tonight or Long will probably drop out but will it be for Keogh or Pearce who came on for Duffy. Neither Brady, Hayes or McGeady played well out on the right so MON could push Walters back out right and start Murphy up front. Midfield played better imo when Wes came on at half time so could see him starting with MON going for the front six that started the second half with McClean coming for Hayes.

Leaving the back four out of it and it could be any of the three of these:
    Whelan -- Arter
    McClean - Hendrick - Brady
    Walters

Hendrick -- Arter
    Walters - Brady - McClean
    Murphy

Hendrick -- Arter
    Brady - Wes - McClean
    Walters

If you wanna get really ambitious but couldn't see it happening in a big game against Austria you could go with the third one but push Brady left full to have him linking up with McClean on the left and Walters on the right with Murphy up top to give us two target men for crosses into to the box.

Think Walters will be upfront no matter what. I'd leave back 4 as is including Long but MON will probably put Keogh in. Midfield trio will be hendrick whealan arther, dont think Wes will start wish im wrong but once he sees game time by 65 min il be happy tricky what hel do out on right wing dont rate hayes at all, Westwood will take over from Randolph soon the way things are going for both of them at club level but can't see MON changing that sunday, good result tonight very impressed with Christie over the 2 games hopefully he can continue his form for Austria thought Ather done very well tonight too as did Duffy and Long. Walters and McClean need to be firing like they were tonight this day next week if we are to win good overall performance from the lads tonight best friendly we've played in a while onwards and upwards from here.

I prefer Walters up front, I think he's the best option we've got to play up front even when Long is fit but also feel he's the best option we've got to play on the right too. To accommodate but Brady and McClean he'll probably play up top but Brady was less than impressive playing on the right and McClean looked better playing on the left when he came on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement