Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Brady may well be deployed at left-back. That's what happened in the game in Austria in November. It would be harsh on Ward to miss out as he's done nothing wrong, but I've a sense MON wants Hendrick to operate on the right side of midfield as a better defensive option than Brady being there.

I also think Wes starts because it's a must-win game and I think we need him for his offensive attributes. Don't forget it was Hoolahan's pass that opened up the Austrian defence, leading to McClean's winner that night.

This was the XI that played away to Austria:
    Randolph; Coleman (c), Clark, Duffy, Brady; McClean, Arter, Hendrick, Whelan, Hoolahan; Walters

I don't expect the line-up in Dublin to be too different. Obviously Christie comes in. Keogh would be the favourite to replace Clark, although Long could be an option. I think the midfield and attack will be the same though.

Personally I'd go with Westwood over Randolph as the latter looks out of sorts, but I think MON will go with him.

It will be interesting whatever happens. At least one player is going to be very unfortunate not to start. My instinct is it will be Ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Credit to Murphy tonight too fantastic pass to assist McCleans goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I think Brady may well be deployed at left-back. That's what happened in the game in Austria in November. It would be harsh on Ward to miss out as he's done nothing wrong, but I've a sense MON wants Hendrick to operate on the right side of midfield as a better defensive option than Brady being there.

I also think Wes starts because it's a must-win game and I think we need him for his offensive attributes. Don't forget it was Hoolahan's pass that opened up the Austrian defence, leading to McClean's winner that night.

This was the XI that played away to Austria:

I don't expect the line-up in Dublin to be too different. Obviously Christie comes in. Keogh would be the favourite to replace Clark, although Long could be an option. I think the midfield and attack will be the same though.

Personally I'd go with Westwood over Randolph as the latter looks out of sorts, but I think MON will go with him.

It will be interesting whatever happens. At least one player is going to be very unfortunate not to start. My instinct is it will be Ward.

Only because Ward was injured. Other than that he is one of the first names on the teamsheet. Ward won't be dropped. What was the point of him playing 90 minutes tonight and adapting that formation if he is going to change it???
    Why not play Brady left back tonight if that was the case?

As you said though, it's nice to be in a situation where we have choices to make and decent players missing out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Only because Ward was injured. Other than that he is one of the first names on the teamsheet. Ward won't be dropped. What was the point of him playing 90 minutes tonight and adapting that formation if he is going to change it???
    Why not play Brady left back tonight if that was the case?

As you said though, it's nice to be in a situation where we have choices to make and decent players missing out

What was the point of experimenting with 3 at the back against Mexico? If the manager is happy with his set-up it makes little sense to try such a change now. If you think about it, had the experiment been a success, Ward was the logical one to miss out in future because the signs were MON wanted to try McClean out in a left wing-back role. From the Independent:
    McClean said that he is open to playing in a deeper position on the left, and that it would actually add to his versatility as a player, but that ultimately he's just eager to play, an attitude which is seemingly not always replicated by some of his international teammates.

"I haven't played there that often but if it adds more bows to my string and gives me that new experience of playing somewhere else, I'm all for it," added McClean.

I can't see Brady being left out of MON's thoughts because of his set-piece threat. It suggests to me that MON is looking at ways to include as much of his key midfielders as he can without having to sacrifice a key player.

The problem is if Ward starts then you have to drop an important midfielder - most likely Hoolahan or Hendrick - because Brady is going to have to take a spot further up the pitch. The fact MON's last line-up against Austria worked well without Ward could see him go to it again as a way to avoid a difficult decision. MON trusts Brady at left-back and has played him there quite a few times.

I guess it boils down to these options:

1. Ward LB, Brady RM, Hoolahan central, Hendrick misses out.

2. Ward LB, Brady RM, Hendrick central, Hoolahan misses out.

3. Brady LB, Hendrick RM, Hoolahan central, Ward misses out.

The above assumes McClean has secured the left-wing spot and that Arter has secured a midfield spot, neither of which admittedly are guaranteed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Happy with that. Very good all round. I know we won't be as attacking next week but good confidence booster if nothing else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Tonight was yet another example of why Brady should never play left back for us again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

How Enda Stevens isn't in the frame for the left back position I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The above assumes McClean has secured the left-wing spot and that Arter has secured a midfield spot, neither of which admittedly are guaranteed. :pac:

I think after tonight Arters place is secure for the Austria game unless he picks up an injury of course :D

Also the game against Mexico was just a way to get guys into the field for game time without any thought of actually trying out a new formation imo. Ain't no way you'd try out a new formation like that to see if how it works out with a midfield of Horgan, O'Dowda and Hourihane.

Wouldn't mind seeing MON try it again in a friendly but would need to be with the strongest 11. Would be a good way to get two strikers onto the pitch at the same time so you could play someone like Maguire next to a target man like Walters and gives you a midfield three also.

Agree re. Arter. Hes a far better option than Hendrick. He has to start ahead of him imo

D14Rugby wrote: »
    How Enda Stevens isn't in the frame for the left back position I don't know.

Has been playing league 2 the last two seasons. When a solid championship player like Cunningham can't get into the team how is a league 2 player gonna force his way in? He signed for Sheffield United for next season so hopefully he can get plenty of game time and add extra depth to the position but right now he's probably 6th choice I'd say behind Ward, Brady, Clarke, Wilson and Cunningham, can't think of anyone else who can play there that would be ahead of him besides those five.

• Advertisement

What was the point of experimenting with 3 at the back against Mexico? If the manager is happy with his set-up it makes little sense to try such a change now. If you think about it, had the experiment been a success, Ward was the logical one to miss out in future because the signs were MON wanted to try McClean out in a left wing-back role. From the Independent:

I can't see Brady being left out of MON's thoughts because of his set-piece threat. It suggests to me that MON is looking at ways to include as much of his key midfielders as he can without having to sacrifice a key player.

The problem is if Ward starts then you have to drop an important midfielder - most likely Hoolahan or Hendrick - because Brady is going to have to take a spot further up the pitch. The fact MON's last line-up against Austria worked well without Ward could see him go to it again as a way to avoid a difficult decision. MON trusts Brady at left-back and has played him there quite a few times.

I guess it boils down to these options:

1. Ward LB, Brady RM, Hoolahan central, Hendrick misses out.

2. Ward LB, Brady RM, Hendrick central, Hoolahan misses out.

3. Brady LB, Hendrick RM, Hoolahan central, Ward misses out.

There was no left back in the squad that went to USA, so McClean was played as a wing back to accomodate that. I don't think MON was ever going to use that formation again, he was merely trying to get through a game he would have preferred wasn't on the fixture list but was merely a money spinner, give a bit of game time to players that weren't getting any at their club and utilise the players he had at his disposal. I don't think anyone gave too much though in the aftermath of that game, nor expected anything from it

Obviously Brady isn't going to be left out, I don't think anyone has suggested that. And yes he has played there before but he is clearly now more influential in midfield and unless Ward is injured, will probably always be used there (in my opinion!)

In my opinion it comes down to Arter v Hoolahan in that front 6.

McClean, Walters, Brady, Hendrick and Whelan are more than definite starters I imagine.

I would imagine the only reason McClean didn't start tonight is because he played 2 days ago and is the sort of player who exerts so much energy.

Has been playing league 2 the last two seasons. When a solid championship player like Cunningham can't get into the team how is a league 2 player gonna force his way in? He signed for Sheffield United for next season so hopefully he can get plenty of game time and add extra depth to the position but right now he's probably 6th choice I'd say behind Ward, Brady, Clarke, Wilson and Cunningham, can't think of anyone else who can play there that would be ahead of him besides those five.

He got in the football league team of the year for all 3 divisions and made a mockery of players in league 2 at times surely that's worth having a look at him for. Not to mention his European and premier league experience :D

He got in the football league team of the year for all 3 divisions and made a mockery of players in league 2 at times surely that's worth having a look at him for. Not to mention his European and premier league experience :D

I'd have him in the squads and going by the Mexico game when we had no left backs he'd have filled a hole in a meaningless friendly instead of having to play McClean wing back. But it's always gonna be hard for lads who are playing at that level to get picked. Just look at lads who play loi for the top clubs and have European experience but need to move to team in England before they are even considered.

Prob won't be popular but Wes and Long as 2 Subs is potentially a match changing option after starting with a more solid 11. Defo an option for away games...

Would feel a lot safer with Westwood in the nets for the Austria game woudnt suprise me if this happens. Looking at the game again even more impressed with Arther his place is cemented for sunday I think.Our passing was top notch today too. McClean has left side his own for sunday and is probably are most important player his international form has been immense,Brady will play more central or on the right he is a waste at left back with the amount of chances he creates for us. Murphy is a good option from the bench if Walters tires thought he done well when he came in isint given enough credit. Hendrick put in a good shift too some selection headache to have and missing Coleman,Long,McCarthy and Clark just shows the strength and depth we actually have,won't be getting carried away with tonight's result but its hard not to be going into this austria game confident now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Is there anything to be said for Brady through the middle, McGeady out right and Arter and Whelan/Hendrick holding? I'd love to see McGeady start.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for Brady through the middle, McGeady out right and Arter and Whelan/Hendrick holding? I'd love to see McGeady start.

McGeady is wasted out right. Played some of his best football this season out on the left for Preston where he can cut back inside on his stronger right foot and come in centrally. So it's wrecked my head this season anytime he's came on for Ireland this season to play out on the right. He's not gonna start out left cause we have McClean and Brady who can play there and are alot less frustrating than McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Lads, forget about Mcgeady starting; it's not going to happen and for good reason.

Have Austria played any warm-up game? Didn't see any result for them, it's a bit strange if they haven't played a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Na the last friendly they played was a 1-1 draw with Finland at the end of March, fairly surprising they didn't avail of the opportunity to get another one or two in since then. No doubt their manager and/or coaching staff were there yesterday to have a look at us though.

Great result yesterday, it's at least a big confidence boost ahead of Sunday. We really, really should go all out for a win here as another 3pts would put us at least an 80% chance of getting a play off spot minimum but I can see a dull 0-0 or 1-1. Wouldn't be an awful result but it would still mean having to beat one of Serbia (h) or Wales (a) so this is kind of the "easiest". A win here might mean draws with the aforementioned could be enough to top the group, dependant on other results of course.

Wales v Serbia a huge game, a Welsh loss surely ends any hopes for them. A Welsh win would be nice from our point of view in that it ensures Serbia don't get too far ahead of the pack but would bring Wales right back into the mix. A draw probably an ideal outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Wales/Serbia draw would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Just got to see the game today.

Ireland really were excellent, if we play like that we'll beat Austria (big if, I know!)

Murphy should be in the starting 11 for sure.

sugarman wrote: »
    It really wouldn't, a Serbia win would be best.

If we win and Serbia win, thats us more or less guaranteed a playoff at minimum with us and Serbia level on 14pts and Austria and Wales level on 7pts.

We then face Serbia in September at home, thats where we can look to over take them.

Otherwise, we could potentially be going into the last game with Wales in winner takes all scenario.

Very much disagree. 2 points lost for Serbia is far more beneficial for us than 1 point gained for Wales if we are going to win this group which is well within our grasp if those 2 scenarios occur. Wales desperately need to get 3 points out of one of these games, all these draws are no use to them at this stage of the group.

Unless Wales win this week, and especially if we win, their chances of progressing are extremely slim. And if Serbia drop points and we win, we would surely be favourites to top the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ireland win and Wales/Serbia draw leaves it 14/12/8 with 12 points to play for .
    That's the best scenario to be in this time next week imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't give much thought to other results.
    We should go out to win all our games and then we won't have to rely on other results.
    A big push on now and we can make it.

I don't give much thought to other results.
    We should go out to win all our games and then we won't have to rely on other results.
    A big push on now and we can make it.

I am pretty sure that is a given. :confused:

Other results in such a tight group (albeit not as tight anymore) are extremely important though, sometimes moreso and are important to assess. I doubt MON will be thinking about putting more time into contemplating other result scenarios at the expense of his game approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,953 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

if the granny rule never came into football i could imagine we would be in the lower tiers of international football as we would of never got hold a few players ???

Speaking of the granny rule, the last time Ireland fielded a team with every player born in Ireland was 29th October 1975 in a European qualifier against Turkey.

Edit: of the 13 players that played that day there was 12 from Dublin and Don Givens of Limerick. Ireland won 4-0 with Don Givens scoring all four goals.

could easily get a very decent squad, not far from our starting 11 even, out now w/o Granny rule (or more specifically Irish born) and have few in reserve................providing no overwhelming suspensions and injuries!

Randolph
    Coleman
    O Shea and Long
    Ward
    Hendrick
    Wes
    Brady
    Whelan
    Long
    Murphy

Forde
    McShane
    Meyler
    Quinn
    Doyle
    Horgan
    Maguire
    Hayes
    Sammon
    Stevens
    Rooney
    Forrester
    Cunningham
    Boyle

And Smuggle McClean across the border somehow!

could easily get a very decent squad, not far from our starting 11 even, out now w/o Granny rule (or more specifically Irish born) and have few in reserve................providing no overwhelming suspensions and injuries!

Randolph
    Coleman
    O Shea and Long
    Ward
    Hendrick
    Wes
    Brady
    Whelan
    Long
    Murphy

Forde
    McShane
    Meyler
    Quinn
    Doyle
    Horgan
    Maguire
    Hayes
    Sammon
    Stevens
    Rooney
    Forrester
    Cunningham
    Boyle

And Smuggle McClean across the border somehow!

Egan as well
    People from the north would be allowed under the good Friday agreement

Egan as well
    People from the north would be allowed under the good Friday agreement

I am just talking about Irish born though here. I forgot the "dual Citizenship" arrangement which would invite McClean and Gibson automatically in. Marc Wilson also.

• Advertisement

Speaking of the granny rule, the last time Ireland fielded a team with every player born in Ireland was 29th October 1975 in a European qualifier against Turkey.

Edit: of the 13 players that played that day there was 12 from Dublin and Don Givens of Limerick. Ireland won 4-0 with Don Givens scoring all four goals.

Limerick 4-0 Turkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭briany

Good display, good result. Cyrus Christie looks to be a decent pair of hands while Coleman is out of the squad. Great goals from all three Irish scorers, even if the Christie one was a bit of a fluke.

Over the two friendlies, it solidifies my belief that McClean is a bit of a Jekyl and Hyde character based on how the team is faring in the game. If things are going middling to well, he can be a talisman, but if things are going poorly, he can lose the rag a bit and become rash, giving away silly frees or even penalties, or just generally be huffing about the pitch and it affects his performance. His passion can get the better of him. If he could get that under control, he may become Ireland's best player, but maybe it's one of those either/or things.

Great save from Westwood as well. Nice to see that Ireland have a choice of two solid keepers now, where for too long it was Given between the sticks, and anything else was courting possible disaster.

Now, we just need to see how Ireland fares against Austria. The game will be absolutely pivotal. More than a shade of Israel 2005 about it. A win sets the team up big-time for going into the Autumn with lots of confidence. An win for Ireland and anything less than a win for Wales, would make it a two-horse race. Fingers crossed.

It's easier to list the non-Irish born lads who are in and around our first team.

Christie, McCarthy, Walters, McGeady, Artur, Keogh. Think that's about it unless you include real fringe players.

Walters and McCarthy probably the only nailed on starters if fit

It's easier to list the non-Irish born lads who are in and around our first team.

Christie, McCarthy, Walters, McGeady, Artur, Keogh. Think that's about it unless you include real fringe players.

Walters and McCarthy probably the only nailed on starters if fit

Clarke, Elliot, Westwood, Pearce, O'Kane (edit, he is from the North), McGoldrick,

to be fair in general our main players, the two Keanes, Duffer, Given, O'shea, Liam Brady, John Giles, etc, have tended to be Irish born players and the non irish born have been more filler players. Even now our key players would be the likes of Long, Hoolahan, Brady, McLean, Coleman and none of them are granny rule players.

Limerick 4-0 Turkey

Ireland scored 11 goals in six games that campgain with Givens scoring 8, which also included a hat trick against the Soviet Union in a 3-0 win. Limerick was on fire that campgain.
    to be fair in general our main players, the two Keanes, Duffer, Given, O'shea, Liam Brady, John Giles, etc, have tended to be Irish born players and the non irish born have been more filler players. Even now our key players would be the likes of Long, Hoolahan, Brady, McLean, Coleman and none of them are granny rule players.

Not during Charltons era, was times there would be more non Irish born players in the team. We'll always have non Irish born players seeing as we are a tiny country that has suffered mass emigration at times. We also haven't got a full time league here so our better players move abroad whose kids could be born abroad and then go on to play for Ireland.

McAteer v Holland
    Mcloughlin v North
    Walters v Bosnia
    Aldridge/Cascarino/Houghton (1990 qualifier last few games)
    Keith Andrews v Estonia

All our key qualifying tournament goals came from non Irish players apart from Keane and Harte!!

This is a joke by the way, all just hypothetical silliness, but I find it hard to see how we could have qualified for any tournament apart from 2002 WC w/o the Granny Rule! I think we could this tournament though if we were faced with the predicament!

It really is, because we're not the only country that uses it like!

Look at Germany with Klose and Podolski! Germanys top, and 3rd top goalscorers ever.

Where would they have been without Kloses goals?

I was only taking the p*ss!

The RTE panel predicts a team of:
    Randalph, Christie, Duffy, Keogh, Ward, Hendrick, Whelan, Brady, McClean, Hoolihan, Walters.

I'd expect Arter to start to be honest, with Murphy and Westwood also in with a strong shout. Why not go with two strikers and just go for it

Is Whelan really that much of a cert to start though ?

I'd have Hendricks or Arter over him at this stage.

• Advertisement

The only way Harry Arter isn't starting against Austria is if he picks up an injury before the game. Can't drop him now after picking up the man of the match against Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Look at Germany with Klose and Podolski! Germanys top, and 3rd top goalscorers ever.

The whole 'granny rule' discussion always makes me a bit uncomfortable... the way it's talked about like it's some obscure loophole or something. And like the players 'aren't really irish'.

It's citizenship. That's all it is. Ireland (like most countries) allows people with Irish grandparents to claim Irish citizenship, putting them on equal footing with every other Irish person. And there's no fairer way to decide eligibility for the national team imo - if you're entitled to Irish Citizenship via any of the ways it can be obtained, you're in.

Is Whelan really that much of a cert to start though ?

I'd have Hendricks or Arter over him at this stage.
    Whelan is much maligned but I'd have him starting .I don't think Arter or Hendrick can play his role .McCarthy would be the best option if available imo.

Be shocked if Arter doesn't start he was excellent last day and was our best midfielder last season.If he had played a few more games for us I'd reckon he would be one of the first names on the team sheet.I really think he is a level above the rest of our CMs.

Hoolahan won't start. Calling it. Hendrick showed enough that he can help Walters in attack and we have plenty of creativity with Arter, Brady, grit and composure of Whelan and aggression and speed of McClean. Hoolahan to play most of second half though.

Nice to have these GOOD options, even when we have injuries

Whelan and Hendrick are nailed down in my opinion MON loves Jeff. I'd prefer Whelan not to start but he will sadly think Wes will miss out. Can't see Josh starting considering he didn't feature in two friendlies its between Keogh or Long I'd like to see the latter but O'Neill will more likely opt for Keogh.

Off subject but I see Kevin O Connor of Cork City is following Seanie Mag too Preston some Irish contingent over at deepdale now great news.

Off subject but I see Kevin O Connor of Cork City is following Seanie Mag too Preston some Irish contingent over at deepdale now great news.

Surprised he joined Preston, I know the wages are better and it's full time but he'll be playing second fiddle behind Greg Cunningham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No problem with Whelan starting.

Knows his position well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Both Podolski and Klose were brought up in Germany and started their careers with underage teams in Germany. It's a bit different than our use of the grandparent rule to be fair.

Both Podolski and Klose were brought up in Germany and started their careers with underage teams in Germany. It's a bit different than our use of the grandparent rule to be fair.

Its still somewhat similar ,they didnt play for the country of their birth.
    I think the point is if Germany are using a grandparent/citizenship rule when they have a population of 80m+ then we shouldnt be looking down our noses at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hahahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement