Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

sugarman wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Its not really tho, I mean they both had to have German parents or grandparents to take up residency in Germany and gain a German passport.

If youre being pedantic, other examples are

Thiago Motta using his Italian born grandfather to play for Italy.

Thiago Alcantra was born in Italy, to Brazillian Parents while his father played football there. He briefly live in Spain before returning home to Brazil and ended up choosing to play for Spain out of the 3.

Using the Granny rule is certainly no worse than using the Residency rule, where you have lads like Costa, Pepe, Deco etc.. opting for Portugal having NO ties to the country.

They were brought up in the country they played for and played all their football in the country. From a sporting perspective there is a big difference.

Some of the players we've got never set foot in this country before they decided to play for Ireland.

I don't really have a problem with the grandparents rule but Klose and Podolski are not really comparable to most of the players we've got through the grandparents rule.

The residency rule that Pepe and Deco took advantage pf is completely wrong and should be done away with.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Its still somewhat similar ,they didnt play for the country of their birth.
    I think the point is if Germany are using a grandparent/citizenship rule when they have a population of 80m+ then we shouldnt be looking down our noses at it.

The big difference though is they lived in Germany and played all their football in Germany before they played for Germany.Most of the guys we get through the grandparents rule never set foot in Ireland before playing for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The big difference though is they lived in Germany and played all their football in Germany before they played for Germany.Most of the guys we get through the grandparents rule never set foot in Ireland before playing for us.

Precisely, you go to school, play all your football, speak the language and are completely attached to the country, it would be even stranger to choose to go back to Poland to play for them.
    Podolski done all his schooling in Germany, moving there age 5 while Klose moved there aged 8 (Klose's PARENTS were actually German anyway originally)

Massive difference to situations like McAteer, Houghton, Aldridge, Lawrenson, Townsend, Walters, Arter et al.

Put it this way, if your friend was living in Oz for a few years, moved home after 6 years with a 5 year old kid, who grew up then and got schooled in Ireland, played soccer all the way up there before being called up to the national team, would it be the exact same as someone like Ray Houghton's situation. It would be much more odd if he declared for Oz.

Not at all.

There are plenty of similar "granny rule scenarios" for national teams, we all know that but I think Podolski and Klose are bad examples to compare Ireland's use of it over the years.

I am no demeaning it, thank f**k for it, but we probably are one of the main beneficiaries of it in international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sugarman wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Its not really tho, I mean they both had to have German parents or grandparents to take up residency in Germany and gain a German passport.

If youre being pedantic, other examples are

Thiago Motta using his Italian born grandfather to play for Italy.

Thiago Alcantra was born in Italy, to Brazillian Parents while his father played football there. He briefly live in Spain before returning home to Brazil and ended up choosing to play for Spain out of the 3.

Using the Granny rule is certainly no worse than using the Residency rule, where you have lads like Costa, Pepe, Deco etc.. opting for Portugal having NO ties to the country.

Ah here, it's very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

What about players born outside of Ireland who only ever wanted to play for Ireland? Kilbane, Breen, Walters, Mcgeady. They'd never have gotten the opportunity otherwise. If a dog is born in a stable, it doesn't make it a horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

And in many cases it's not the "granny rule", it's the parent rule!
    Walters' mother, Kilbane's father etc.

Kilbane is a great example. He was actually called up to an England youth squad but declined as BOTH his PARENTS were Irish.

Houghton is different. He really wanted to play for Scotland at the time but they weren't interested at the time so he, admittedly, "settled" for Ireland when Jack called him up. Obviously he has no regrets but he still doesn't feel "Irish", he admitted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Is this old chestnut still being debated? Half the 'England' rugby team are Samoan :rolleyes:

It isn't a chestnut, just a topic of conversation. Like the boring and often hostile "what does Whelan do" debate that always escalates on game day!
    I don't think it is the worst topic of discussion, personally, but, yeah, it does get tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,953 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Marc Janko is out apperently

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4579840/Austria-striker-Janko-miss-World-Cup-qualifier-Ireland.html

we really have a golden chance sunday but you bloody know us

• Advertisement

Is this old chestnut still being debated? Half the 'England' rugby team are Samoan :rolleyes:

I know.Thats wrong too as is Stander and Payne being on our rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Walters didn't train this morning....holds breathe

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Marc Janko is out apperently

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4579840/Austria-striker-Janko-miss-World-Cup-qualifier-Ireland.html

we really have a golden chance sunday but you bloody know us

Great news! https://twitter.com/JankoMarc/status/872377932001546240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.the42.ie%2Faustria-injury-janko-3431758-Jun2017%2F

Translates as: Extremely bitter for me can not help to exist against Ireland. A violent angina tied me to the bed :D

The thing is, I do bloody know us and I trust this team more than ever in years. We have had 1 very bad competitive performance (Belgium) in a year and a half since the Poland loss. I don't think we have f*cked up much otherwise or been our own worst enemies.

People may, arguably rightfully, say Serbia away but that result was a good result and just an awful game of football in a very strange atmosphere and we did show great grit and determination in the end.

Some really NB players out for them now, Arnautovic and Ilsanker among them.

Starting to get confident now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Walters didn't train this morning....holds breathe

So we could end up with just 1 striker vs Austria. :eek:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Was just looking at the goal scoring records for Ireland. Mclean is currently on 9 goals, joint 14th with a load of players.

Kevin Sheedy
    Clinton Morrison
    David Kelly
    Liam Brady
    David Connolly
    Roy Keane

Long and Walters are the only two still playing who are ahead of him, Walters with 13 is joint 10th with Jimmy Dunne and Gerry Daly. Long is in 7th with 17 goals. Would be great if he can push on over the next few seasons and maybe scare Quinn's second place.

Is Long able to get 5 more goals for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I expect Long to get a few more for us.With so little strikers on the horizon he will be probably first choice for at least 3 more year's .
    Can see him passing Cas Givens and n Aldo.

I expect Long to get a few more for us.With so little strikers on the horizon he will be probably first choice for at least 3 more year's .
    Can see him passing Cas Givens and n Aldo.

Pretty embarrassing if he doesn't score at least 2 more goals! He would want to be aiming for surpassing Quinn, let alone those other fellas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pretty embarrassing if he doesn't score at least 2 more goals! He would want to be aiming for surpassing Quinn, let alone those other fellas!

That's what I'm thinking. He has loads of football left in him and Quinn's record isn't exactly that imposing a figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

But we didn't have the annual Oman friendly back in those days....!

• Advertisement

He scores about 1 in 4 for us ,so will need about 20 more caps to go second.
    Probably will do it but I wouldn't be full of confidence it would happen.
    Hope he does score plenty more for us ,a likeable sorta fella.

Talking of goals ,we still no closer to finding another striker. Options are threadbare now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Shouldn't we be calling up someone? Adam Rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Talking of goals ,we still no closer to finding another striker. Options are threadbare now.

Nope, we could really do with Sean Maguire to hit the ground running in England and hopefully impress if he gets a call up cause apart from him I don't think we've anyone else under the age of 25 and the lads in or around the squad are either gone 30 or turning 30 with Long being the youngest regular we have in the team.

He scores about 1 in 4 for us ,so will need about 20 more caps to go second.
    Probably will do it but I wouldn't be full of confidence it would happen.
    Hope he does score plenty more for us ,a likeable sorta fella.

That is poor logic, though! Long has a very bad scoring record but assessing stats on the basis of his present goals per game is a bad approach. Between making a good percentage of his initial caps as late sub, playing as a support striker when Keane was on the pitch with him and the fact he is now playing in what is an ever improving team, it won't take Long 20 odd caps to score 2 more goals!

That is poor logic, though! Long has a very bad scoring record but assessing stats on the basis of his present goals per game is a bad approach. Between making a good percentage of his initial caps as late sub, playing as a support striker when Keane was on the pitch with him and the fact he is now playing in what is an ever improving team, it won't take Long 20 odd caps to score 2 more goals!

I never said it was an exact science,obviously it just a very very rough idea.Unless someone can see into the future it's all just a bit of fun.

BTW who said it would take Long 20 odd caps to score 2 more goals ?

I never said it was an exact science,obviously it just a very very rough idea.Unless someone can see into the future it's all just a bit of fun.

BTW who said it would take Long 20 odd caps to score 2 more goals ?

Sorry, I meant 4, not 2! (ie, to join Quinn in 2nd)

I did think your post was your general opinion though on the issue, that he could need circa 20 more caps to reach 2nd, it read that way, that is why I disagreed!
    I was just saying the stats are pretty skewed but, nevertheless, he will never be a "goalscoring type forward", if you get me.

And looking down his career stats, the 1 in 4 stat seems to be a feature at all his teams, ironically!!

Sorry, I meant 4, not 2! (ie, to join Quinn in 2nd)

I did think your post was your general opinion though on the issue, that he could need circa 20 more caps to reach 2nd, it read that way, that is why I disagreed!
    I was just saying the stats are pretty skewed but, nevertheless, he will never be a "goalscoring type forward", if you get me.

And looking down his career stats, the 1 in 4 stat seems to be a feature at all his teams, ironically!!

He could get two against Moldova.

If he doesn't though, it could well take until the next campaign when we play a minnow.

Thankfully he does more than score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Assuming we win at the weekend, what do we want to happen in the Serbia v Wales game ?

A draw maybe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Assuming we win at the weekend, what do we want to happen in the Serbia v Wales game ?

A draw maybe ?
    A draw will be the most favourable result but whatever happens at least one of them will be dropping points. As long as we win I don't really care what happens in the other game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

A draw will be the most favourable result but whatever happens at least one of them will be dropping points. As long as we win I don't really care what happens in the other game.

True although if Wales were to lose they'd be all but out of the race being 7 points behind us and Serbia .

Would it be a good thing for them to be gone by the time we visit there in the last game of the group. I think it would .

We have Serbia at home also

A draw maybe ?

Anything but a Serbia win, wouldn't mind if they lost as it puts us 3 points ahead of them and still remain 4 points ahead of Wales who will still have to play Austria before we play them so could drop points there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Austria team in absolute tatters for Sunday between injuries and suspensions.

Right from the draw of our group the stars have aligned for us to qualify for this World Cup, likely we'll never have a better chance.

Did I read somewhere that they will be missing 5 starters?

Draw would be ideal in Wales v Serbia really don't want Wales winning any little hope theve got needs to be diminished especially with us having to go there and our record of doing things the hard way I don't really care what the result is once we do the business and get 3 points can enjoy the second game over a few pints then knowing we done what was needed. As far as strikers we really are banking on Maguire to be successful after that I suppose Rooney but can't see him getting much time under MON Sheridan or that Polish guy just going by what lads are shouting out anyone know the story of Robinson from Preston he's eligible to play for us hopefully the fact half the league of Ireland is over there might persuede him.

• Advertisement

True although if Wales were to lose they'd be all but out of the race being 7 points behind us and Serbia .

Would it be a good thing for them to be gone by the time we visit there in the last game of the group. I think it would .

We have Serbia at home also

Ok, let us jump the gun and make a cheeky presumption that all 3 teams will win their remaining games against Georgia and Moldova. It is more probable than not, so for argument sake, let us take that naive presumption.

The only remaining fixtures for us, Wales, Serbia and Austria are:

Ireland v Austria
    Ireland v Serbia
    Ireland v Wales (away)

Serbia v Wales
    Serbia v Ireland (away)
    Serbia v Austria (away)

Wales v Serbia (away)
    Wales v Austria
    Wales v Ireland

Austria v Ireland (away)
    Austria v Wales (away)
    Austria v Serbia

We win Sunday, Wales only draw, Serbia only draw all we will need is a draw against Serbia to guarantee a top 2 if my maths are correct? (again, that is presuming all 3 teams beat the Moldova/Georgia) Again more likely than not.

Essentially what I am saying is if Wales lose, it is not possible for them to top the group. But if they draw, it is still not possible for them to win the group. That is making the bold and cheeky assumption Georgia and Moldova are both beaten by either or both of Serbia and ourselves in our remaining games against them.

But if we win and Serbia/Wales draw we are in the position where our only rivals for top spot are Serbia BUT, importantly, we have an advantage on them, points wise and a home fixture against them.

In that scenario all we will need is to beat Georgia and Moldova (apologies again!) and pick up a draw against both Wales and Serbia and we win the group!

Or even just 3 points against Serbia and we can even afford a defeat to Wales and it still wins us the group, regardless of results.

I, therefore prefer the latter scenario (ie Serbia/Wales draw)

Put it this way, I prefer being in control of WINNING the group rather than merely all but guaranteed a top 2 spot.

Sorry, a load of waffle, you don't need to point that out to me!

For us to be able to top the group (which, given our fixtures should be our goal), two points lost for Serbia on Sunday is much more beneficial than 3 points lost for Wales!
    Give Wales their point Sunday and the group is ours to control. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭briany

With Austria missing players to start with, Ireland really need to be looking for a win here. I hate to go into any game of importance with an expectant attitude regarding Ireland, as it so often feels like a jinx upon the outcome, but looking at the fixtures Ireland have in the autumn, there is plenty of scope for things to go wrong, and the cushion of an extra three points would be mighty handy to have in the bag if those things come to fruition. The games v. Georgia (A), Wales (A) and Serbia (H) could all go either way or be stalemates. Very hard to predict anything there.

A draw on Sunday would not be the end of the world, and it will probably be the line that Martin O'Neill takes if that comes to pass, but based on past experiences, dropped points so often are just that. It's not what Ireland do at the end of a campaign so much as it is the needless gaffes made mid-way that we come to rue.

Draw would be ideal in Wales v Serbia really don't want Wales winning any little hope theve got needs to be diminished especially with us having to go there and our record of doing things the hard way I don't really care what the result is once we do the business and get 3 points can enjoy the second game over a few pints then knowing we done what was needed. As far as strikers we really are banking on Maguire to be successful after that I suppose Rooney but can't see him getting much time under MON Sheridan or that Polish guy just going by what lads are shouting out anyone know the story of Robinson from Preston he's eligible to play for us hopefully the fact half the league of Ireland is over there might persuede him.

We have a few young strikers that have potential but none are making a breakthrough with their clubs yet.All lads under 20 but be great if even one of them broke though at championship level this coming season.

The bottom line is that winning our next four games probably gets you there and makes wales game redundant.

That, on paper, for me, is probably an easier proposition than the majority of teams you would get in a two legged playoff bar maybe the North.

Tbh if I got the choice of a playoff against the North and for us to advance over two legs I'd have taken your hand off at the start of this campaign what a way to qualify. Where we are in the table and the way things are shaping up we are in a great position to top the group and automatically qualify worst case scenario I can see is us getting second think we will finish in top 2 in this group we are where we are on merit. Not arrogant but no harm being confident going into this game Sunday if we can't beat a very weak Austria team with a lot of stuff going on behind close doors too at home in Dublin we don't deserve to be in Russia.

• Advertisement

Tif we can't beat a very weak Austria team with a lot of stuff going on behind close doors too at home in Dublin we don't deserve to be in Russia.

Its a good line!

We use it alot.

noodler wrote: »
    Its a good line!

We use it alot.
    Maybe because it's true.

We have a few young strikers that have potential but none are making a breakthrough with their clubs yet.All lads under 20 but be great if even one of them broke though at championship level this coming season.

Ronan Hale would be our biggest talent in the underage teams, still only 18 but big things are expected from him at Birmingham. With the u21s you've also got Reece Grego-Cox (20) of QPR and Joe Quigley (20) of Bournemouth. Can't see Quigley getting game time at Bournemouth so he'll be out on loan again next seaon and Grego-Cox was given a new one year contract for next season so hopefully he can get game time at QPR or impress on loan or he'll be looking for a new club in a years time.

With Declan Rice called up to the squad for the training camp it would have been great for one of the young three strikers named above to have been brought over to train with the senior squad down in Fota and maybe a run out against in the Mexico match cause no disrespect to McGoldrick but he's never gonna be first choice for Ireland and his position in the squads he makes could be given to young lad to give him International experience, same with Kevin Doyle also. Speaking of Doyle he was named in the squad but has been nowhere to be seen so far, is he injured cause I thought he'd have been a cert to play against Mexico being based in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,953 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

noodler wrote: »
    Its a good line!

We use it alot.

We have too remember last year in France we played a team in our second group game who were apparently in disarray and they ended up beating us well

Don't like being heavy favourites in any sport and it never works out.

I'd love too prove all the doubters wrong and we tear them apart Sunday but you know us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

We have too remember last year in France we played a team in our second group game who were apparently in disarray and they ended up beating us well

I'd love too prove all the doubters wrong and we tear them apart Sunday but you know us

Austria = Dan Quayle...

We were serious outsiders v Belgium.4/1 iirc
    We aren't heavy favorites on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Speaking of Doyle he was named in the squad but has been nowhere to be seen so far, is he injured cause I thought he'd have been a cert to play against Mexico being based in America.

Kevin Doyle scored for Colorado Rapids at the weekend, was called up for the provisional squad, but didn't make the cut.

I'm not sure why Sheridan isn't getting a chance, he is scoring away in Poland.

:confused:

Not sure what you mean by that? Bookies prices have no effect on the game, as you know?

We are favourites because we are in better form, are at home, appear to be the better team?

Maybe we won't win, maybe we won't even draw but that won't be anything to do with the price.

And as said above, we are not heavy favourites but we are DESERVEDLY favourites going by the variances that will influence the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

I'm not sure why Sheridan isn't getting a chance, he is scoring away in Poland.

The Polish league only finished at w/end,he wouldn't be allowed to be released for the friendlies. He still could have got a call for the Austria game, and he is match fit. P.S. his team finished 2nd in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

He still could have got a call for the Austria game, and he is match fit. P.S. his team finished 2nd in the league

Exactly. Surely there'd be some merit to calling him in, even at this stage, instead of maybe having to stick a winger up front?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement