Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

I presume Burgstaller will be starting in place of Janko. IMO that's an upgrade. Burgstaller had 14 goals in 16 for Nurnberg, then 9 in 17 for Schalke. Not saying he'll set the world on fire, just that I reckon it would have better to have Janko playing. He couldnt do it against Bohs years ago, and he was no better in November!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Janko maybe the worst striker Ireland has ever come up against for a good team. Can't remember worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm not sure why Sheridan isn't getting a chance, he is scoring away in Poland.

The Polish league only finished at w/end,he wouldn't be allowed to be released for the friendlies. He still could have got a call for the Austria game, and he is match fit. P.S. his team finished 2nd in the league

How many goals has he scored this season?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

:confused:

Not sure what you mean by that? Bookies prices have no effect on the game, as you know?

We are favourites because we are in better form, are at home, appear to be the better team?

Maybe we won't win, maybe we won't even draw but that won't be anything to do with the price.

And as said above, we are not heavy favourites but we are DESERVEDLY favourites going by the variances that will influence the game.

??

He clearly means Ireland are rarely good against group rivals when they are favourites.
    Tyson Fury wrote: »

8 in 13 appearances accroding to Wiki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Looks like 8 in 14 games since joining them from a quick google. Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

8-10 wrote: »
    Looks like 8 in 14 games since joining them from a quick google. Not bad.

Not bad when you consider two of their top scorers, Fiodor Černych is 12 in 26 and Konstantin Vassiljev is 13 in 25 which is impressive for an attacking midfielder. Info taken from wiki so might not be 100% accurate.

But can't see Sheridan called in this late and it's surprising that he hasn't given that we might only have one fit striker for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

There really is no excuses for Sunday. That Austrian team is in absolute turmoil. The best scenario for us is a convincing victory which is good enough to get the Austrian manager sacked, as the players don't have any interest in playing for them. Might get a boost then for their final games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Whatever happened to Kevin Doyle?

He's only 33. Was a good player at one time, was it an injury that slowed him down or is it a confidence thing?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He's only 33. Was a good player at one time, was it an injury that slowed him down or is it a confidence thing?

Not sure but I think he got a bad injury a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

PhilipsR wrote: »
    There really is no excuses for Sunday. That Austrian team is in absolute turmoil. The best scenario for us is a convincing victory which is good enough to get the Austrian manager sacked, as the players don't have any interest in playing for them. Might get a boost then for their final games.

That would be ideal.We hammer Austria and then they get a new man in for Wales game. New manager bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

He's still not bad, but obviously not the player he was. A mixture of injury and age. He saw the opportunity to go to America and get better money as a Designated Player in the MLS and he took it, albeit to the detriment of his international career, which seems to be all but over at this stage.

I don't remember Doyle having any longterm/bad injuries?
    Am I mistaken ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    I don't remember Doyle having any longterm/bad injuries?
    Am I mistaken ?

He's had a couple of knee injuries over the years and think about three years ago when he had loan spells away from Wolves near the end of his time with them he didn't play much over injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

That would be ideal.We hammer Austria and then they get a new man in for Wales game. New manager bounce.

I'll take 1-0 thanks!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'll take 1-0 thanks!

So would I but a nice rout would do no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Serbia are favs with Powers and I think they are with all the other top firms.

Actually, I see that, this is the source I got my info from, so I was misled. Bit odd! But yeah, you are correct

http://world-cup.betting-directory.com/group-d-qualifying.php

That would be my doing, I pushed the paddy's price out. Backed Serbia for 8k

Serbia are favs with Powers and I think they are with all the other top firms.

Actually, I see that, this is the source I got my info from, so I was misled. Bit odd! But yeah, you are correct

http://world-cup.betting-directory.com/group-d-qualifying.php

That would be my doing, I pushed the paddy's price out. Backed Serbia for 8k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JOS released by Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

His experience could be handy as a back up for a newly promoted side. Maybe hughton would take a punt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Wardling wrote: »

His experience could be handy as a back up for a newly promoted side. Maybe hughton would take a punt

Is that a case of his contract running out and him not wanting to renew? Or Sunderland wanted rid?

• Advertisement

Is that a case of his contract running out and him not wanting to renew? Or Sunderland wanted rid?

Probably Sunderland wanting rid. Was nothing mentioned about him resigning or looking for a new club so probably Sunderland looking to get a high earner off the wage bill.

O'Shea will have plenty of offers.
    I read recently he wanted to play for another year and was hoping to stay with Sunderland.
    Hopefully he can bow out at the world cup next summer.

Strange I don't think O'Shea will find a PL club and Sunderland could have done with him around. In terms of his wages he would obviously have to accept half of what he was on. That's all he'll get at any new club, if he's lucky.

He's fairly ancient now. He might find it difficult to find a club anywhere, especially at a level where he would keep himself in contention for a possible World Cup squad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

O'Shea will have plenty of offers.
    I read recently he wanted to play for another year and was hoping to stay with Sunderland.
    Hopefully he can bow out at the world cup next summer.

Doubt he'd make final squad if we qualify. Unless he has a stunning season, bringing a 37 year old centre half is a wasted place in my opinion.

Assuming Wes keeps his form up, he'll be scraping it in as a 36 year old. Wes is blessed in that we have no one currently with his "particular set of skills". He's hoping an Alan Judge type player doesn't come to prominence over the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I heard he was offered an extension. Must have turned it down. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Brighton or Huddersfield.

D14Rugby wrote: »

I heard he was offered an extension. Must have turned it down. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Brighton or Huddersfield.

I would be surprised. He's not good enough for the PL anymore.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Doubt he'd make final squad if we qualify. Unless he has a stunning season, bringing a 37 year old centre half is a wasted place in my opinion.

Assuming Wes keeps his form up, he'll be scraping it in as a 36 year old. Wes is blessed in that we have no one currently with his "particular set of skills". He's hoping an Alan Judge type player doesn't come to prominence over the next year.

If he gets a good championship move and is a regular I dont see why he wouldn't be in contention.Its not like we have many CBs playing at a higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

He might well stay at Sunderland yet.

He did well when called upon v Wales, so definitely still deserves his place in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Josh will go to Preston heard it here first...ah no in all seriousness he should get a championship club no bother maybe even a newly promoted club might take him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Chris Hughton might give him a call. They know each other from Hughton's Ireland days as a coach and John would be a decent squad option with his versatility and experience.

• Advertisement

I'd say championship as well as I find it hard to fathom that he wouldn't be in any potential WC squad.

Although don't like thinking about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just looking at world rankings and current group standings. As things stand if qualification was finished now we'd be up against France, Portugal, Italy or Slovakia in a playoff.

We're in a good position to top the group though. Only four points between first and fourth so still think there are four teams in it. Of those four I think we've had the most difficult fixture list in the first half which gives us an easier (but not easy) run-in. Reckon Serbia have had the easiest start and therefore a tougher second half than the other three.

All in our own hands and if I was forced to have a bet on our game I'd go for a home win. Not sure what to make of the other game. A case could be made for any result in Serbia being good for us once we win. I don't think Serbia will keep a clean sheet, even with Bale missing but they will score too.

I'm bored and a bit of a statto so potential scenarios below

Ireland/Serbia wins leaves first two spots between us with Wales&Austria out of running for even a playoff.

Ireland/draw puts us two clear of Serbia and six clear of Wales with Austria out of running for top spot but still a distant shout at second.

Ireland/Wales leaves us three clear of Serbia and four clear of Wales with Austria only playing for second.

Draw/Serbia leaves us two behind Serbia, four clear of Austria and Wales with an outside chance of playoff five behind us.

Draw/draw as you were. Behind Serbia on goal difference and four clear of the other two

Draw/Wales puts us top by a point from Serbia, with Wales two behind us and Austria still in there but four off us.

Austria/Serbia leaves us second, three behind Serbia, one clear of Austria and four clear of Wales who can forget top spot.

Austria/draw has us one behind Serbia, one ahead of Austria and three ahead of Wales.

Austria/Wales blows the group wide open with only one point between top four with ourselves and Serbia in the two top spots.

But anyway, three points and go from there. We're in a good position and winning all of our games (although unlikely) puts us through.

As I said, I'm bored and slightly nerdy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I reckon a draw tomorrow. I hope im wrong but i fear not. We should of beaten Wales but given how content we were for a draw i dont think this game will be any different. I hate being so negative but i cant see us beating Austria when we know we should. Obliviously i hope we win and Serbia/Wales draw with the latter being a cert imo. If we win the group is ours to loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Collie D wrote: »
    Just looking at world rankings and current group standings. As things stand if qualification was finished now we'd be up against France, Portugal, Italy or Slovakia in a playoff.

We're in a good position to top the group though. Only four points between first and fourth so still think there are four teams in it. Of those four I think we've had the most difficult fixture list in the first half which gives us an easier (but not easy) run-in. Reckon Serbia have had the easiest start and therefore a tougher second half than the other three.

All in our own hands and if I was forced to have a bet on our game I'd go for a home win. Not sure what to make of the other game. A case could be made for any result in Serbia being good for us once we win. I don't think Serbia will keep a clean sheet, even with Bale missing but they will score too.

I'm bored and a bit of a statto so potential scenarios below

You should have just looked a few pages back, I more or less summed the same stats up! May have saved you some time!!

EDIT: Your analysis was different!

I honestly believe that Ireland will drop points in Georgia no matter the result tomorrow.
    I think if we are honest with ourselves that our record against the Georgians has been very fortunate, 
    a case could be made that they passed us off the park in the last game and only a worldie from Coleman got us 
    out of jail. Take into account the luck we received with the Robbie Keane dive and Mc Geady's worldie in the 
    last minute in Tiblisi, our luck is going to run out. People underestimate the Georgians believing they are on a par 
    with Moldova, Serbia's result there will be a pivotal result come the final standings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

This time last year I was on the way to the airport about to disembark on one of the greatest journeys known to man. A win tomorrow would put me in the awkward position of having to start softening up the mrs for the inevitable im off to Russia argument, because mark my words gentlemen, if we win against the Austrians(and I think we will), there will be no stopping us in our qualification quest. Also that brass band better not wreck my noodle at the stadium in the same way as they have being doing with some gusto the last few games. I dont cringe anymore- Its gone way past that now.

I honestly believe that Ireland will drop points in Georgia no matter the result tomorrow.
    I think if we are honest with ourselves that our record against the Georgians has been very fortunate, 
    a case could be made that they passed us off the park in the last game and only a worldie from Coleman got us 
    out of jail. Take into account the luck we received with the Robbie Keane dive and Mc Geady's worldie in the 
    last minute in Tiblisi, our luck is going to run out. People underestimate the Georgians believing they are on a par 
    with Moldova, Serbia's result there will be a pivotal result come the final standings.

No one ranks the Georgians with Moldova.

Absolutely no one.

Dont remember a Keane dive, I remember a phantom peno alright but don't remember Keane having anything to do with influencing the award.

All that said, I agree. Georgia away is a tough tough trip. Austrians only won it in the last few.
    Will require incredible concentration.

Focus on our present team, form, etc, not results of the past! Hungary bet Andorra 4-0 last time out and lost last night!

The truth is Georgia will always be a tough team generally for a 2nd level team like us to play and break down,particularly away, don't think anyone thinks otherwise unless naive, but this is a team that, although should have beaten Wales, has lost to Jordan, merely got draws against the likes of Uzbekhistan and Moldova in the last few months and are bottom of the group.
    The only team they have beaten at home in a competitive home game in almost two years is Gibraltar so, although they can be hard to break down, a general theme in international football against these sort of teams, a team like us who is getting better by the game and is brimming in confidence playing a team like Georgia who are hardly brimming with confidence and have nothing to play for should result in a win for us.

This team, under MON, has shown real resilience when under extreme pressure needing a result, against such teams like Germany, Italy, Bosnia, Austria and even against Wales. And the fightback against Serbia shows we don't just fold over, except that Belgian game when something serious went wrong.

I wouldn't expect any less than a win. And I actually think, if we were to play them tomorrow we would beat them for sure.

oh and the term "worldie" make me shudder!! :mad: :D

Hopefully we score first and it kills the Austrians desire to fight. We need to attack with our heads up from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

alta stare wrote: »
    Hopefully we score first and it kills the Austrians desire to fight. We need to attack with our heads up from the get go.

One word: Wes

Probably a cliche at this stage but think he needs to start.

Collie D wrote: »
    One word: Wes

Probably a cliche at this stage but think he needs to start.

Yep i agree 100%. This is one of the best chances Ireland has gotten to qualify automatically and if we win tomorrow it sends out a message to Serbia that we aint going away :D Topping this group now is a must. I pray to the football gods that the players are brave enough to go for it.

Hate the f*cking seeding rule.

Should be done away with, especially when and why and the manipulative way it was introduced in 2009 in the last minute after the qualifiers to benefit the likes of France, Portugal and Russia and f*ck over ourselves, Bosnia and Slovenia

All about money .Typical of FIFA/ UEFA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Any word on which irish internationals brother is the latest target in the hutch-kinahan feud? All over the news this morn

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Any word on which irish internationals brother is the latest target in the hutch-kinahan feud? All over the news this morn

Not really the forum to discuss it, is it? Especially names.

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »

Probably some ex u21 player from ten years ago but looks better and sells more papers to say Irish international. As others have said I doubt this would be the place to talk about it and there's already a thread about all that ****e that's going on up in Dublin somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Getting nervous about the game tonight lads. Cautiously optimistic of doing the job but deep down feel it'll be a 0-0 or 1-1. Wouldn't be awful but this is the chance to really grab the group by the scruff of the neck, something we never seem to be able to do. We've been blessed this group has been one without a team like Germany, Italy, Spain etc someone who'd be guaranteed top spot, time to really take advantage of that starting tonight.

Sick I won't even see this game am away for the weekend and it'll be a 2am kick off where I am so RT? radio it'll have to be. Won't care less if we get the 3pts though. Best of luck to Martin, Roy and all the lads tonight.

COYBIG

It could be a very open game and Austria having nothing to lose is a bit of a concern that could take us out of our comfort zone. I feel we might need three goals to win.

It could be a very open game and Austria having nothing to lose is a bit of a concern that could take us out of our comfort zone. I feel we might need three goals to win.

We definitely wont score 3 goals. I agree with your point about Austria having nothing to loose. We can only hope that if we score they drop their heads which i think will happen.

Its time Ireland put a supposed better team to the sword and by god this would be the one to do, i really feel if we win this game Serbia will fear coming to Dublin, the group will be in our own hands and for the first time ever we will qualify automatically. O Neill would go down in Irish football history as a god :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Really hope we get the win this evening,keep the show on the road and not to give Wales any hope and keep the pressure on Serbia

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement