Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Coybig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,951 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's going too go tits up I can feel it

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yep. Favourites tag doesn't sit well.

Imagine the north, England, Wales and Scotland being in Russia and us at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

O Neill has spoken well about what we need to do and our chances with this game so im sure he has the players well drilled. No point in worrying now and also no point in fearing this Austrian team either, yes we should be cautious toward their individual players but as a collective we are stronger. I think a draw i obiviously hope a win but at least lets pray and expect they go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yep. Favourites tag doesn't sit well.

If that scenario unfolded and we weren't at it I would be devastated and pissed off we weren't there but wouldn't begrudge teams that were there. If we f%ck up so much as to allow Wales qualify and us not we deserve to be at home.

I still have no issue with rooting for Home nations in a neutral situation and will definitely root for the North to qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Heart is saying 3 -1 Ireland
    Head is saying 1-1

Austria are our bogey team since 95
    We've only beaten them once 5 meetings

Still with their squad depletion their current form and the fact we actually can field a strong team has me hoping for a good result

Coybig

If that scenario unfolded and we weren't at it I would be devastated and pissed off we weren't there but wouldn't begrudge teams that were there. If we f%ck up so much as to allow Wales qualify and us not we deserve to be at home.

I still have no issue with rooting for Home nations in a neutral situation and will definitely root for the North to qualify

I would not begrudge the North either. To be fair to them they have played some quality football and have done exceptionally well since Michael o Neill took over. This is a golden generation for them so they should enjoy it as much as they can.

As for Wales qualifying, not a hope in hell will they over take us. Worst case scenario is we dont get a playoff due to not being best placed.

• Advertisement

Sorry, 'home nations'? They're not home to us.

Presumably you're British yourself. We're a long time formed outside that bracket.

The North of Ireland is home. I agree we arent part of the others but we cant deny the North irrespective of the politics up there. That doesnt mean i support their team but i most certainly would not begrudge them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Sorry, 'home nations'? They're not home to us.

Presumably you're British yourself. We're a long time formed outside that bracket.

Why are you being pedantic? You know what teams he's referring to. Its a term routinely used by the media. Most irish people get their sports news through british media outlets SSN, red tops (i know irish versions), bbc highlights, etc. Its a term that slips into our vernacular as a catch all for our neighbouring teams.

You can support whoever you want, but we're not associated with the UK sides and they're not our home nations. I include Northen Ireland (the north of Ireland is Louth, Cavan, Donegal, etc) in that too but there's no point in getting into that in another thread. Facts are facts.

I dont support them i said i would not begrudge them. I as an Irishman have been to the North and still considered myself to be at home....in Ireland.

But you are right that is a discussion for another thread. Hopefully the North and South will be at the World Cup (more so the South) i couldnt care less if Wales, Scotland or England got there or not.

I am not talking political talk. You know well what I mean in the informal sense of the term "home nations".
    It is a quick term to use and it's clear I didn't mean it in a political sense so let's not go down this road,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well Scotland won't be there anyway.

England will prob qualify automatically

Imo best case for Northern Ireland (unseeded), Scotland (unseeded) and Wales (seeded I think) would be the playoffs and possibly ourselves been there unseeded too in place of Wales

• Advertisement

Why is someone from Ireland saying it any different as say a German saying it? We aren't British and they aren't our home nations and just because their media coined a phrase doesn't mean it applies to is.

Because Germans have their own media sources and don't use the term to describe the 4 teams. You know what is meant by the term, you don't need to make an issue of it. If it offends you why not start a new thread?

England will prob qualify automatically

Imo best case for Northern Ireland (unseeded), Scotland (unseeded) and Wales (seeded I think) would be the playoffs and possibly ourselves been there unseeded too in place of Wales

What date does the seeding work from? Is it the start of the qualifying campaign or the time of the draw?

Likewise the seedings for the actual world cup groups?

Come on, Pat, you are old enough to know what we are talking about when people use that loose informal term.
    Faux outrage or smart correction of such a phrase when clearly you know what I mean is petty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'd love if we were there, north and south, and that the four UK teams were sitting at home watching us :D[/quote]

Us/Ireland (North and South) both have a decent chance.

No chance all 4 UK teams will qualify as Scotland, Wales and particularly Gibraltar are all lagging behind in their groups.

• Advertisement

More chance of aliens coming too earth than Gibraltar qualifying for the world cup finals

On the other hand with this new nations league thing lower tier nations have a chance of qualifying for the euro finals through that

More chance of aliens coming too earth than Gibraltar qualifying for the world cup finals

On the other hand with this new nations league thing lower tier nations have a chance of qualifying for the euro finals through that

Eh, I don't think this needs to be pointed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'm thinking early goal for us, then sit back and wait for the equaliser that really should have been defended better, in the first half.

Then a push on again in the second half and get a winner.

Do we want a wales defeat later, to knock the stuffing out of them, or a draw, so we have a better chance of winning the group?

No, Wales/Serbia draw is most definitely the best scenario as there has been a lot of discussion on it. If we hopefully win, there will be 3 teams realistically only left for 2 places.

We will be top by 2 if Wales/Serbs draw and, assuming we win, going into that Serbia home game 2 points ahead of Serbia and 6 ahead of Wales would be better than Serbia desperately needing a win to remain in contention.

If Serbia draw today and, cheekily assuming we pick up 6 points against Moldova and Georgia, all we will need is a draw in Aviva and a draw at Cardiff to win the group. And we may even have the group won by the time we have to play Wales if we can beat Serbia.

F*ck the playoffs and making sure we get a top two place. It is all in our hands now and we have a favourable set of fixtures to top the group. More favourable than Serbia, Wales and Austria

Well that is my mindset!!!

• Advertisement

Where/when is the a team first announced ?

Where/when is the a team first announced ?

Usually an hour before kick off. O Neill likes to keep everyone guessing.

Kevin Long starting, apparently

Team as I predicted. Well, maybe not Kevin Long

Centre back obviously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised with Kevin long included, weather improving, atmosphere building COYBIG

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Had to look him up on Wikipedia. Someone's been busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Big game for Kevin Long tonight. A good performance tonight against Austria will stand to him for when he returns to pre season training at Burnley to push on for a starting spot and regular first team football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Obviously I'll take the draw considering we were 1-0 down with 5 minutes to up, but 2 points from 2 home games against Wales and a completely broken Austria is a bit meh.

Just feels like the group was really there for the taking with those 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Paully D wrote: »
    Obviously I'll take the draw considering we were 1-0 down with 5 minutes to up, but 2 points from 2 home games against Wales and a completely broken Austria is a bit meh.

Awful by MON in fairness.

He'll get rightful criticism for this.

He might hide behind the disallowed goal now but hopefully he takes it on the chin and doesn't lash out at Tony when asked questions about the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think a point each was deserved,just about after a pitiful performance from our lads in the first half,it was painful stuff to watch,the changes that were made brought us back into it and we finished strong

Great finish by Walters,never lets us down,always gives it everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Paully D wrote: »

How are Austria broken? They're a superior footballing team, you could see that after 5 minutes

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Serbia v wales is on s4c for those without sky sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What was MON's game plan??
    I think he's worse than Trap.
    Awful performance again when in the driving seat.
    Some of our players are not even Championship standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3499041/brighton-footie-ace-shane-duffy-caught-cheating-after-pictures-of-him-naked-in-another-girls-bed-were-posted-on-social-media/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-TheSun-_-News-_-TwImageandlink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER
    “Shane was there with lots of his Irish friends. They had a lot of drinks and were having a great time.

“I was sitting next to Shane and we were talking. I asked him what he does for a living. He said, ‘I’m Shane Duffy’ and paused. I looked at him blankly.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Wales winning wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Six points from Georgia and Moldova and the inevitable draw at home to Serbia would have us on 19 points, meaning a likely shootout in Cardiff on the last day to see who tops the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ramsey peno.

Be interesting to see if they can hang on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement