Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

thelad95 wrote: »
    Wales winning wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Six points from Georgia and Moldova and the inevitable draw at home to Serbia would have us on 19 points, meaning a likely shootout in Cardiff on the last day to see who tops the group.

Serbia would be in the mix as well. They have Georgia and Moldova at home, and are away to ourselves and Austria.

We could find ourselves in a shootout with Wales - but over the playoff spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

For all his running around Harry Arter is an extremely limited footballer, was an awful performance.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hoping for an equaliser.

Could see Wales winning every game they've left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    For all his running around Harry Arter is an extremely limited footballer, was an awful performance.

He is a very good footballer, as most who have seen him will testify but he was awful today, and if you want to bring someone out for Wes, it should be him over Whelan.

Hendrick doesn't seem to know where he is meant to be half the time either.

Murphy was very impressive, relatively speaking, after coming on and maybe, just maybe, we should start looking at 4-4-2 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If Wales win, MON has got out of jail today, but we really should be a further two points ahead of everyone else. It's not a difficult Group to win in comparison to other Groups we've been in in recent campaigns. We have the players to top this Group. Get on and do it. Today was disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There were a lot like that today in fairness.
    One of the worst Irish performances I can remember in the first half.
    Lads hammering short passes to a teammate, failing to control the ball and misjudging headers all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

I am sick to the back teeth of Glenn Whelan starting so much. It has been proven time and time again over the years we play much better when he is not on the field. Can't wait until he retires.

1 all in Serbia. Blow the final whistle ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

A draw in Wales/Serbia game is by and far the best outcome. It will be as you were before the round of games and We'll have gotten out of Jail.

We do not want to have to go to Cardiff with Wales having something to play for and us needed a result because we simply won't get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Godot. wrote: »
    I am sick to the back teeth of Glenn Whelan starting so much. It has been proven time and time again over the years we play much better when he is not on the field. Can't wait until he retires.

It will be a wonderful day for Irish football.

There were a lot like that today in fairness.
    One of the worst Irish performances I can remember in the first half.
    Lads hammering short passes to a teammate, failing to control the ball and misjudging headers all over the place.

Hard to understand how they were so poor, ward at left back was awful aswell. We just don't seem to have the ability to string 2 or 3 forward passes together.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I thought Arter & Whelan were good in patches but went missing too often and didn't do enough to get on the ball. Hendrick I thought was awful and didn't seem to get into the game until the last 20 mins. I thought Brady was poor too, some sloppy passes and again not showing for the ball enough.

I'm a big fan of MON and the job he has done with us but he got it wrong today, Wes should've started and even after that he should've been quick to change things around.

Anyone know the ruling if two teams finish level on points at the top? Is it head to head or GD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Anyone know the ruling if two teams finish level on points at the top? Is it head to head or GD?

Goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Get in! Great result for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ireland should win the Group from this position. And despite the frustration of today's result, under MON I'm confident we'll top the Group.

A draw in Wales/Serbia game is by and far the best outcome. It will be as you were before the round of games and We'll have gotten out of Jail.

We do not want to have to go to Cardiff with Wales having something to play for and us needed a result because we simply won't get one.

Why?? Wales have been extremely average this campaign. Who says they can just turn it on when they need to. We have shown in the past in games against Germany, Bosnia, Italy and Austria, Serbia and even today that we can dig out a result when under pressure.

I am not extremely intimidated by that Cardiff trip

I was following the game on the BBC sports app and they seem to think its a great point for Wales. Were we that happy with our point out there or were we the usual giving out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Now if we could just get our injured players back and be at full strength for the remainder of games in Sept and Oct we could well win the group. We would also seriously have to step up on today's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

alta stare wrote: »
    I was following the game on the BBC sports app and they seem to think its a great point for Wales. Were we that happy with our point out there or were we the usual giving out?

From memory, we were 1-0 only to go 2-1 down, and were then lucky to get a late equaliser. On paper a draw was a great result, but the way the game went we could have easily taken the three points had we not given away two goals in quick succession.

Why?? Wales have been extremely average this campaign. Who says they can just turn it on when they need to. We have shown in the past in games against Germany, Bosnia, Italy and Austria, Serbia and even today that we can dig out a result when under pressure.

I am not extremely intimidated by that Cardiff trip

I'd also prefer to be looking for a result at home against Serbia than away against Wales.

Patww79 wrote: »
    If I remember right the performance that night was absolutely atrocious and the draw was massively lucky. I think that's what most of the complaints were about.

The usual so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Our performance was very poor today, but strangely enough we haven't come out of it too bad overall.

No real problem with Whelan today.

Could see what he was doing.

No idea where Hendrick was, absolutely ineffective in every sense. Could do with being dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

We should top the group if we can get 6 points from the double header of Geoergia away and Serbia home.
    Definitely achievable but we'll probably get two draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

noodler wrote: »
    Looking at her and looking at his girlfriend.

Confused.

Beer goggles innit. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

If we beat Serbia in Dublin and Georgia away we will qualify as H2H is used to split the teams on equal points, do I have that right? So the Wales game won't matter if we take maximum points from those two games.

Edit: I have already presumed Moldova at home is 3 points.

• Advertisement

4 points taken from Austria, certainly would have taken that at the start of the campaign.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd also prefer to be looking for a result at home against Serbia than away against Wales.

Oh, without a doubt, not the point I am making, we are well capable of getting both, you don't have to compensate one for the other, I am just saying that someone saying we won't get a result in Cardiff if we need one is silly mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Our group is currently 8th in the 2nd place teams table.

The 9th 2nd place team will not get a playoff place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

4 points taken from Austria, certainly would have taken that at the start of the campaign.

Was saying this to lads earlier. It's disappointing on the night, but 4/6 from Austria is great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Oh, without a doubt, not the point I am making, we are well capable of getting both, you don't have to compensate one for the other, I am just saying that someone saying we won't get a result in Cardiff if we need one is silly mindset.

Going to Wales , with Wales needing a win to over take us for a play off spot. No Thanks. I for one certainly do not fancy that.

Cardiff is certainly not an intimating venue nor are Wales as an opposition I would just not fancy going there needing a point. If the shoe was on the other foot and Serbia or Wales were coming to us needed a result I would be licking my lips.

It's what you want from a last game to qualify scenario.

Godot. wrote: »
    If we beat Serbia in Dublin and Georgia away we will qualify as H2H is used to split the teams on equal points, do I have that right? So the Wales game won't matter if we take maximum points from those two games.

Edit: I have already presumed Moldova at home is 3 points.

I believe it's goal difference rather than head to head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Me too, but it is disappointing when you beat Austria away from home and then go into the home game playing for a draw and are pure muck for majority of the match. Both teams were poor today which makes the negative tactics from Ireland all the worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

noodler wrote: »
    I believe it's goal difference rather than head to head.

So it is. When did they change it back to GD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've looked ahead and it looks like we will need to produce a big win over Serbia or Wales if we want to ensure we qualify.

As the group stands now:
    Serbia - 12 points
    Ireland - 12 points
    Wales - 8 points
    Austria - 8 points.

Possible results for 7th round of fixtures..
    Georgia 0-1 Ireland
    Serbia 3-0 Moldova
    Wales 2-1 Austria

Would leave things:

Serbia - 15 points
    Ireland - 15 points
    Wales - 11 points
    Austria - 8 points

Possible results for 8th round of fixtures...
    Austria 2-0 Georgia
    Moldova 0-2 Wales
    Ireland 1-1 Serbia

Would leave things:

Serbia - 16 points
    Ireland - 16 points
    Wales - 14 points
    Austria - 11 points

Possible results for 9th round of fixtures...
    Georgia 1-2 Wales
    Austria 1-2 Serbia
    Ireland 2-0 Moldova

Would leave things:

Serbia - 19 points
    Ireland - 19 points
    Wales - 17 points
    Austria - 11 points

Possible results for final round of fixtures...
    Moldova 1-2 Austria
    Serbia 3-0 Georgia
    Wales 2-1 Ireland

Would leave things:

Serbia - 22 points
    Wales - 20 points
    Ireland - 19 points
    Austria - 14 points

So even a draw with Serbia could mean we miss out in the final game if we lose to Wales. A draw in Cardiff would likely secure a play-off spot.

If we want to qualify automatically then we will likely have to beat Serbia.

I'd expect Wales to win their next three games before they play us, so if we don't want the last game in Cardiff to be significant then we have to beat Serbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

You can't say you would take 4/6 from Austria. You have to take each game and everything goes with it injuries suspensions form sackings. They state of the Austrian national team right now we should of winning the game today no excuses approach the game from the start different we win the game

Me too, but it is disappointing when you beat Austria away from home and then go into the home game playing for a draw and are pure muck for majority of the match. Both teams were poor today which makes the negative tactics from Ireland all the worse.

Can never understand why we only react when a goal down.
    Should have been up and at them from the start but that's not O'Neill's way apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Was saying this to lads earlier. It's disappointing on the night, but 4/6 from Austria is great going.

The 4/6 idea is based on getting a draw away from home and winning at home. If you happen to win away from home, you should be bonusing 2 points, not then being happy with a draw at home because the numbers balance.

Will need to get a few against Moldova for GD.

Beating Serbia will likely be necessary.

Wales could drop points against Austria. Allen will be a loss and Taylor will still be banned as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If we want to qualify automatically then we will likely have to beat Serbia .

Which makes today's performance all the more frustrating. Going by the last two performances against teams below us at home I can't see MON coming out and being adventurous against the team whose top of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

People constantly seem to miss the very obvious point with Hoolahan.

When you have the ball and you look up to see someone screaming at you to pass it to them, as a team mate, how fantastic must that be? Not someone cowering away, pointing to another player, or telling you to "just fu8king launch it!" How fantastic must it be to have a player by your side who wants to help you out, take control of the situation and has no fear of the ball. And that chain reaction of positivity echoes around all the players who interact with Wes.

Wes doesn't single handedly win games for Ireland. But Wes being present at all on the pitch fundamentally alters how players around him play. I see so many people commenting on his actual performances (good or bad). But it's his influence. It's the psychology that he brings to our play. Wes encourages positive play, and it's infectious to those around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Don't see the point going through all the permutations. We're over half way through nows the point where we can realistically go, just win all our games and we qualify, simple, doesn't matter what anyone else does once we win all our games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Our worst player today imo

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Wes doesn't single handedly win games for Ireland. But Wes being present at all on the pitch fundamentally alters how players around him play. I see so many people commenting on his actual performances (good or bad). But it's his influence. It's the psychology that he brings to our play. Wes encourages positive play, and it's infectious to those around him.

You could reduce it to simpler terms. You play Hoolahan, you send out the message "we're going for this". You drop him, you send out the message "we want to hang on to this". I know he's not Maradona, but at home, we should be playing him.

Nalz wrote: »
    Our worst player today imo
    Ward for me. Christie not much better, Mc Clean eager but very limited, Hendricks not at the races. I could go on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hendricks not at the races
    It's Hendrick, not the bloke who used to play the guitar. This annoys me for some reason.

It's Hendrick, not the bloke who used to play the guitar. This annoys me for some reason.
    He annoyed me today too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement