Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Ward was the worst Irish player today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Nalz wrote: »
    Our worst player today imo

Forwards could have set him up for a goal or two today with a bit more composure. Our defenders passing was awful the whole game, nothing in front of the player to get him going. Once we couldn't get McCLean into the game we were very limited and that's against a poor side tonight.. It was a very poor first half showing.

Longs pace would have been nice today and has for Murphy I'm a NO but we were better 4-4-2

My big gripe is Duffy jumping in leading with the arm when Walters is there to sniff about.

We can win the group :D but it will not be with GD. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    People constantly seem to miss the very obvious point with Hoolahan.

When you have the ball and you look up to see someone screaming at you to pass it to them, as a team mate, how fantastic must that be? Not someone cowering away, pointing to another player, or telling you to "just fu8king launch it!" How fantastic must it be to have a player by your side who wants to help you out, take control of the situation and has no fear of the ball. And that chain reaction of positivity echoes around all the players who interact with Wes.

Wes doesn't single handedly win games for Ireland. But Wes being present at all on the pitch fundamentally alters how players around him play. I see so many people commenting on his actual performances (good or bad). But it's his influence. It's the psychology that he brings to our play. Wes encourages positive play, and it's infectious to those around him.

Great post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Overall disappointed with the result today but considering we were 1-0 down and also the result in the other game, we have come out in quite a healthy position. MON got it wrong tactically today and Austria looked the much better team in the first half, at half time I would have bitten the hand off you for a point, but in the second half Austria didn't look as good and we came into it a bit more, moving to 4-4-2 seemed to help and the players looked a bit more hungry as well, Walters in particular had a great second half. Duffy had a terrible game and wasn't impressed with Christie or Ward either, Long done okay considering it was his first competitive game. Hendrick was anonymous and Brady had one of his worst games in a green jersey for a long time, considering how many players played poorly we got lucky with a draw in the end. Didn't think Hoolahan played great when he came on but it definitely made the game more open and we seemed much more likely to score when he was on the pitch, hard to say if this is because of the effect he has on the team or whether it was just momentum.

Felt we should have got a peno for the foul on Walters near the end, the disallowed goal was disappointing too but can kind of see why it was disallowed after seeing some replays. Hard to know how the group is going to go from here, today was a great opportunity for us to get one foot in the world cup but we under-performed, still in a good position heading into the last 4 games though. 4 points from the next two games is the minimum requirement. Good atmosphere in/around the ground today also. Still confident we will be in Russia this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I think we're gonna lose one and drop points in another one of the final four games.

The constant hoof ball today was desperate but even so I think we were slightly the better side. Bar Alaba Austria were dire which makes the terrible tactics and lashing the ball away even worse.

If we play like that again though we could suffer badly against Serbia and Wales. Even Georgia could prove very tricky if we don't up our game. Looking forward to the remaining matches though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,949 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2 draws against Georgia and Serbia next time out will prob end our qualifying hopes and we will watch our northern cousins out in russia next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Some people being very confident here that we're going to make easy work of the final four games. Dropping points in three of them is very easy to envisage, we mightn't, of course, but this is Ireland - we aren't really that good of a football team and that's when we aren't playing with our default conservative mindset to begin with. I foresee Georgia away being a very tough hard-fought match - it usually is - and Serbia, who will at that stage will have no doubt filled their boots against Moldova, is at home is four days later. That's a lot of air miles to travel in between two arguably must win games.

This may sound stupid

We're almost better off claiming were not a team for world cups and just pile all our resources into qualifying for the Euros (2020,2024,2028 etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This may sound stupid

We're almost better off claiming were not a team for world cups and just pile all our resources into qualifying for the Euros (2020,2024,2028 etc)

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This may sound stupid

You're right!

That does sound stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

This is exactly how I knew I'd be feeling after this game - bittersweet and a bit disappointed. Was so sure of a draw I threw a few quid on it and also a few bob on the 1-1.
    A draw isn't awful but it now still means having to beat most likely Serbia at home.

No point looking any further than the next game Georgia away. They're some strange side, one day they're unlucky not to beat us and Wales, another day they find themselves 2-0 down to Moldova. Really depends what kind of Georgia turn up in September to determine how much of a banana skin they'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The critics of "hoof-ball", what have you been watching for the past 40 years?

Go back to the 2002 World Cup. Matt Hollands goal against Cameroon came from an aimless hoof that wasn't cleared. Robbie's goal against Germany came from a Finnan hoof. Robbie's 1st goal against the Saudi's came from a 60-yard Staunton hoof.

1994 World Cup, Ray's goal against Italy came from a John Sheridan hoof-ball not dealt-with.

1990 World Cup, both Sheedy and Quinner's goals came from absolute launch-balls from Packie which weren't dealt with.

Even historically with far better players, from McGrath, Liam Brady, Giles, Roy Keane, Duffer, Robbie, Ronnie Whelan etc we were always long-ball merchants who could also play half-decent football at times.

Hoof-ball has been responsible for some of the best moments as an Irish soccer fan. When Packie launched it and Quinn took advantage against Holland in '90, the look of disgust on Ruud Gullit's face was priceless. When Finnan launched it and Keano slotted the flick down past Oliver Khan it was golden. Darren Randolph launches one aimlessly and Shane Long buries it past Neuer.

It's not pretty stuff but it never has been. Everyone from Charlton, Mick, Trap, Stan, Kerr, O' Neill - we've been long-ball merchants under the lot of them. It isn't Martin O' Neill re-inventing the wheel.

Also, I find the Dunphy-inspired Wes love-fest is funny. Don't get me wrong he's a good footballer. Comfortable with ball at feet. Can pick a pass. Can link play. Can chip in the odd goal but people praising him because he throws his hands up looking for the ball are setting the bar very low.

Norwich conceded the 3rd highest amount of goals in the entire division this season, while Wes started the most games he has done for years. That's not a coincidence. Every season for Norwich where Wes started more than 25 games a season they have had a shocking defensive record and an impressive goals tally.

Wes reminds me of a poor-mans, Irish David Ginola. He's always screaming for the ball, capable of brilliant dribbles, passes and free-kicks, but doesn't have the legs, energy, awareness or inclination to close down from the front or to organise a midfield in the way the much-maligned likes of Whelan or Mark Kinsella could.

When we came up against Witsel, Kevin de Bruyne, Hazard and the boys last summer they absolutely destroyed us in the middle of the park. When Wes was dropped, we were solid in the middle of the park for large periods of the Italy match and for a good 50-55 minutes against France. This nonsense of "We play better football with Wes in the team because of his influence" is absolute garbage. We played some really good stuff in the Italy and France games last summer while he was sat on the bench.

There's a reason Wes has never played for a big club. There's also a reason why he's being employed from the bench. There's a cost to playing Hoolohan from the start whether in the false-10 or midfield and that cost, as Norwich can testify, is that you'll be better in possession but over-run in midfield far too often.

At the top level that's fatal. O' Neill is right to pick and choose what games to start him (Georgia away he should start). If we play our cards right, I fancy us to take the full 6 points against Georgia and Serbia. The Austria match was an end-of-season affair and it's very difficult for jaded legs and tired minds to carry the same intensity. The next 2 games will come with the boys fresh.

Most importantly, I think we have one advantage over Serbia that's often over-looked. Most of our players don't play for big sides. Whether they admit it or not, the likes of Jonny Walters put in that extra 10% effort and commitment for Ireland because getting to the World Cup is a bigger carrot than anything they can achieve at club level. Whereas Matic, Kolarov, Tadic and the boys will all be at clubs where domestic titles and European trophies are a possibility.

I think we'll edge out wins in both games and win the group. We're over-achieving under O' Neill and Keane and I think last summer has given the boys the confidence they lacked for many years.

TL;DR - They're right to use Wes selectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The critics of "hoof-ball", what have you been watching for the past 40 years?

Go back to the 2002 World Cup. Matt Hollands goal against Cameroon came from an aimless hoof that wasn't cleared. Robbie's goal against Germany came from a Finnan hoof. Robbie's 1st goal against the Saudi's came from a 60-yard Staunton hoof.

Holland goal against Cameroon came from a kilbane cross??

Keanes goal against Saudi came from a cross??

We were two mins into stoppage time against Germany

Also, I find the Dunphy-inspired Wes love-fest is funny. Don't get me wrong he's a good footballer. Comfortable with ball at feet. Can pick a pass. Can link play. Can chip in the odd goal but people praising him because he throws his hands up looking for the ball are setting the bar very low.

Norwich conceded the 3rd highest amount of goals in the entire division this season, while Wes started the most games he has done for years. That's not a coincidence. Every season for Norwich where Wes started more than 25 games a season they have had a shocking defensive record and an impressive goals tally.

Nah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Can someone point out to me what Jeff Hendrick does?

People around us at the game were booing Whelan yesterday but as far as I could see Hendrick was far worse, I'm not sure he touched the ball 10 times.

I'm a gaa man so maybe whatever he does is lost on me but as I see it, he doesn't protect the back 4, he doesn't get on the ball in deep positions, he doesn't make tackles, doesn't create chances, doesn't offer a goal threat and he doesn't get next or near our striker in support.

So why is he in the team?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Wes reminds me of a poor-mans, Irish David Ginola. He's always screaming for the ball, capable of brilliant dribbles, passes and free-kicks, but doesn't have the legs, energy, awareness or inclination to close down from the front or to organise a midfield in the way the much-maligned likes of Whelan or Mark Kinsella could.

When we came up against Witsel, Kevin de Bruyne, Hazard and the boys last summer they absolutely destroyed us in the middle of the park. When Wes was dropped, we were solid in the middle of the park for large periods of the Italy match and for a good 50-55 minutes against France. This nonsense of "We play better football with Wes in the team because of his influence" is absolute garbage. We played some really good stuff in the Italy and France games last summer while he was sat on the bench.

There's a reason Wes has never played for a big club. There's also a reason why he's being employed from the bench. There's a cost to playing Hoolohan from the start whether in the false-10 or midfield and that cost, as Norwich can testify, is that you'll be better in possession but over-run in midfield far too often.

At the top level that's fatal. O' Neill is right to pick and choose what games to start him (Georgia away he should start). If we play our cards right, I fancy us to take the full 6 points against Georgia and Serbia. The Austria match was an end-of-season affair and it's very difficult for jaded legs and tired minds to carry the same intensity. The next 2 games will come with the boys fresh.

Most importantly, I think we have one advantage over Serbia that's often over-looked. Most of our players don't play for big sides. Whether they admit it or not, the likes of Jonny Walters put in that extra 10% effort and commitment for Ireland because getting to the World Cup is a bigger carrot than anything they can achieve at club level. Whereas Matic, Kolarov, Tadic and the boys will all be at clubs where domestic titles and European trophies are a possibility.

I think we'll edge out wins in both games and win the group. We're over-achieving under O' Neill and Keane and I think last summer has given the boys the confidence they lacked for many years.

TL;DR - They're right to use Wes selectively.

Wes isn't all that but he should start, we're genuinely carrying a couple of midfielders so at least he can get on the ball and pass it which is more than Whelan and Hendrick offer. They do nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
    We can keep possession and create openings, but also send the odd long/early ball into the box to see what happens. For example if the opposition defence are not comfortable under high ball makes sense to exploit this.
    Yesterday's first half tactics (and of course some poor individual displays) meant we could do neither.

Theres alot of hyperbole from people defending Hoolahan's omission because "he won't turn us into Barcelona" or "hes 35" or "hes just a championship player".

Its like the last 12 months never happened.

What is important is that he can take us up a level or two from the absolute turgidness of yesterday's performance.

noodler wrote: »
    Theres alot of hyperbole from people defending Hoolahan's omission because "he won't turn us into Barcelona" or "hes 35" or "hes just a championship player".

What is important is that he can take us up a level or two from the absolute turgidness of yesterday's performance.

It's easy to defend his constant omissions.

We're joint-top of the table and have Serbia to come at home.

• Advertisement

• It's easy to defend his constant omissions.

And of we approach that game the same we did on Sunday we will lose at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It's easy to defend his constant omissions.

Sorry. Bit confused. Are saying his omissions are justified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And of we approach that game the same we did on Sunday we will lose at home

You mean when we approach it the same way not if. When you're at home against the team in fourth, who are missing players and play for a draw then you know how the Serbia game is gonna be played out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

noodler wrote: »

I think you & others should factor in that we were missing our best player yesterday and his name is Seamus not Wes.

In terms of knowing what you are going to get from a player no one beats Coleman in terms of providing a high level of performance consistency.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I think you & others should factor in that we were missing our best player yesterday and his name is Seamus not Wes.

In terms of knowing what you are going to get from a player no one beats Coleman in terms of providing a high level of performance consistency.

And, when we beat Germany at home do you know who started and got man of the match? His name was Wes not Seamus who didn't play that game through injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm not sure Whelan deserves the criticism he's getting for yesterday. In my opinion he was our best player behind Walters. Saying that, I wouldn't give anyone else more than a 6/10 and a couple of them weren't even 5/10.

Not sure how I feel about the result. We were dire for most of the game and looked more likely to go 2-0 down at start of second half than equalise but from about seventy minutes on I felt the goal was coming and we deserved it. Draw probably fair but with the disallowed goal and Walters' penalty shout I'm a bit disappointed. Haven't seen replay of either incident but was behind goal at match so curious about other people's thoughts.

I'm not optimistic about rest of group. Think the September games are a very tough double header. Feel we'll scrape three points somehow in Tbilisi but the usual draw with Serbia. Still in our own hands. Win our games and we're through but I think a tough playoff beckons.

My mood may change between now and next game though :)

Just to add we're not joint top. We're second on GD.

Sorry if that's pedantic but there's a world of difference should we finish group level on points with Serbia or even worse with Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

If Seanie Maguire settles quickly and gets a few goals he could be a big part of this campaign yet. A natural goalscorer beside Walters would make a big difference.

Remains to be seen if Maguire is capable of stepping up but he's certainly looking the part right now.

Yeah, I think he's being used pretty effectively. Starting the easier games and being used wisely from the bench in the tougher games.

We don't exactly have many players you could term an impact player but he has certainly made positive contributions from the bench in the past 12 months.

Yeah, I think he's being used pretty effectively. Starting the easier games and being used wisely from the bench in the tougher games.

We don't exactly have many players you could term an impact player but he has certainly made positive contributions from the bench in the past 12 months.

So Austria away is an easier game than Austria at home?

• Advertisement

Would you call Austria away an easy game?

I think it's very obvious at this stage that O'Neill doesn't have a solid idea of what he wants and there doesn't seem to be any ryhme nor reason for something​ of his team selections.

I was no fan of Trap but there was a consistency. O'Neill seems to be all over the place.

a draw in Georgia will be just as bad as a defeat there its a must must win. Serbia will beat Moldova and we are hoping for a draw in the Wales vs Austria game

TBH we dont have a hope of beating any of our potential oppistion in the playoffs

is there any way that the Welsh game in october will be a dead rubber ???

a draw in Georgia will be just as bad as a defeat there its a must must win. Serbia will beat Moldova and we are hoping for a draw in the Wales vs Austria game

TBH we dont have a hope of beating any of our potential oppistion in the playoffs

Would need to beat Serbia at home and then hope they drop points away to Austria which would make our last game against Wales a dead rubber I'd say.

To be honest, I think we really want Austria to kick into gear from here on in.

If they beat Wales, they will be going into their game against Serbia with something to play for - in turn, doing us a favour.

Our best chance of qualification is winning this group. The playoffs looks like a complete nightmare.

I cant imagine MON will have a change of heart on his summer break and we will go out all attacking in September/October ala Italy at the euros ??

if the world cup was decided on draws we would win it

We dont really play well in September as the players are not back to full fitness etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

A draw in Wales/Serbia game is by and far the best outcome. It will be as you were before the round of games and We'll have gotten out of Jail.

We do not want to have to go to Cardiff with Wales having something to play for and us needed a result because we simply won't get one.
    I think we play better away from home to be honest. We got a draw in the world cup champions back yard in the last campaign dont forget. We beat austria away and drew with Serbia away this campaign .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

if the world cup was decided on draws we would win it[/QUOTE
    Actually Wales would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

if the world cup was decided on draws we would win it

We dont really play well in September as the players are not back to full fitness etc

Portugal got mostly draws and won Euro 2016, so maybe MON is onto something,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If qualification ended now, the teams in the play offs would include Northern Ireland, Greece, Iceland and Slovakia. Of course we would have a hope of winning

However, the worst 2nd placed team doesn't get into the play offs at all and as it stands, we're the second worst. That's a bigger problem for Wales and Austria because if Ireland or Serbia were to drop the number of points required for one of them to finish second, it would almost certainly result in our group being the one eliminated from the play offs, which is likely to be a factor in the motivation those teams will have in the last couple of rounds.

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    If qualification ended now, the teams in the play offs would include Northern Ireland, Greece, Iceland and Slovakia. Of course we would have a hope of winning

However, the worst 2nd placed team doesn't get into the play offs at all and as it stands, we're the second worst. That's a bigger problem for Wales and Austria because if Ireland or Serbia were to drop the number of points required for one of them to finish second, it would almost certainly result in our group being the one eliminated from the play offs, which is likely to be a factor in the motivation those teams will have in the last couple of rounds.

They would be the unseeded teams, which we would be apart of.

As it stands, we would be playing France, Italy, Portugal or Iceland.

Iceland the "weakest" but wouldn't fancy ourselves against any of those. We have to go for the group win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think it's fare to say the Brady experiment failed, I'd like to see him moved back to left back for the Serbia game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

They would be the unseeded teams, which we would be apart of.

As it stands, we would be playing France, Italy, Portugal or Slovakia.

Iceland the "weakest" but wouldn't fancy ourselves against any of those. We have to go for the group win.

Slight correction but I agree.

Collie D wrote: »
    Just to add we're not joint top. We're second on GD.

Sorry if that's pedantic but there's a world of difference should we finish group level on points with Serbia or even worse with Wales.

We are only 2 goals behind Serbia. Not ideal given our inability to really put games against the likes of Georgia to bed with goals rather than mere performances, but hardly insurmountable. Serbia clearly aren't prolific scorers themselves.
    Putting games to bed against the likes of Georgia and Moldova with goals rather than defensive tactics when ahead is something we need to work on in both short and long term.
    We need to be confident enough to push on against these teams, like Serbia were against both Moldova and Georgia when ahead rather than settling for the 3 points by defending the lead.

Sadly, it could easily now be, if you assess what are very similar fixtures for both the Serbs and us, on paper, the difference between winning and losing the group and being handed a very hard playoff.

Serbia were ahead by the minimum against Georgia entering the last couple of minutes but still had the fortitude to push on for another, something we don't have the mindset to do and would prefer to use the Jonny Walters arse at the corner flag routine to finish off a game.

Even Austria, yesterday, whilst using a few noticeable time delaying antics, weren't afraid to throw caution to the wind and break with menace and get players forward when ahead in the last 20 minutes to add to their lead.

Lucky for us, that proved to be their outdoing in the end though as they almost grabbed a second just before we broke and launched the long ball for Walters when they had too many players up top.

It was very naive by them and although you have to question their naivety when a goal up to push men forward, you also have to give a tad of credence to their ambition to put the game to bed when they had the chance.

We are only 2 goals behind Serbia. Not ideal given our inability to really put games against the likes of Georgia to bed with goals rather than mere performances, but hardly insurmountable. Serbia clearly aren't prolific scorers themselves.
    Putting games to bed against the likes of Georgia and Moldova with goals rather than defensive tactics when ahead is something we need to work on in both short and long term.
    We need to be confident enough to push on against these teams, like Serbia were against both Moldova and Georgia when ahead rather than settling for the 3 points by defending the lead.

Sadly, it could easily now be, if you assess what are very similar fixtures for both the Serbs and us, on paper, the difference between winning and losing the group and being handed a very hard playoff.

Serbia were ahead by the minimum against Georgia entering the last couple of minutes but still had the fortitude to push on for another, something we don't have the mindset to do and would prefer to use the Jonny Walters arse at the corner flag routine to finish off a game.

Even Austria, yesterday, whilst using a few noticeable time delaying antics, weren't afraid to throw caution to the wind and break with menace and get players forward when ahead in the last 20 minutes to add to their lead.

Lucky for us, that proved to be their outdoing in the end though as they almost grabbed a second just before we broke and launched the long ball for Walters when they had too many players up top.

It was very naive by them and although you have to question their naivety when a goal up to push men forward, you also have to give a tad of credence to their ambition to put the game to bed when they had the chance.

Serbia have scored 13. We've scored 8. They play Moldova at home. We play them away.

I'm fairly confident they'll stick more goals beyond Moldova than we will. Assume at this stage that goal difference will not be in our favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Serbia have scored 13. We've scored 8. They play Moldova at home. We play them away.

I'm fairly confident they'll stick more goals beyond Moldova than we will. Assume at this stage that goal difference will not be in our favour.

Moldova at home for us and them.

• Advertisement

Read my whole post, perhaps. I have fully acknowledged all this.

And, no, I don'[t rely on assumptions in international football. I am merely fearful and know it is more probable than not, given our respective fixtures that we may easily finish 2nd due to Goal Diffrence.

Also, we play Moldova at home, to clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

at least georgia are out of the running now, that is a must win game... I see serbia have moldova at home aswell and will be concsious of GD, Id say we are out of the running on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Despite the fact we are doing well in the group, we haven't really performed well in any of the qualifiers apart from Austria away. I think 8 points from the next 4 games would do us, Georgia away won't be an easy game and I definitely can see there being a lot of giving out from Irish fans when we inevitably battle out a 1-0 victory, but I am confident that we will beat them as we always beat the bottom two seeds (Cyprus was 10 years ago). That will mean we will go into the Serbia game at least 4 points clear of Austria or Wales, with the loser of that game out of contention. If they were to draw that night, it would mean we would be 6 points clear of both of them with 3 games to play.

A draw would nearly suit both teams in the Aviva but because of the goal difference we could really do with beating the Serbs. We have not been playing brilliantly but we are in a very good position with 4 games remaining, that is undeniable. We should be cheering for Austria from here on as they could do us a massive favour if they can beat Serbia in Vienna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Idbatterim wrote: »
    at least georgia are out of the running now, that is a must win game... I see serbia have moldova at home aswell and will be concsious of GD, Id say we are out of the running on that front.

I would agree with you there about the GD issue. If it comes down to that I just do not see us outscoring the Serbs by 3 goals over the 4 remaining games which is what it would take to win on GD if it came to that. Quite simply put we have to beat the Serbs it really is that simple and at least we have the game at home in Dublin so there is some hope there. Although I must admit to being nervous about the away game with Georgia. Looking back on the last Euro's qualifying campaign the fact that we eeked out that 2-1 win over there really was a massive factor for us in the end and we will need to find a way somehow to eek out another win over there when qualifying resumes to set up the Serbia game. Given the game after that is Moldova at home this campaign really comes down to these next 2 games at the start of next season. We still have a shot but personally I just don't see it and think at best we will finish second and get a playoff spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Originally Posted by PTH2009 View Post

I wouldnt go that far, but if they are the traditional bigger football nations, I would put it as a 60/40...
    We still have a shot but personally I just don't see it and think at best we will finish second and get a playoff spot.
    which we would have taken before the group kicked off...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement