Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Despite the fact we are doing well in the group, we haven't really performed well in any of the qualifiers apart from Austria away.

We aren't very good, it's that simple. Our team is largely made up from players from struggling premier league sides and lower.

We've rather luckily found ourselves in a group with similarly average sides where we're probably the most dogged and hard working which may bode well for us in the shake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Idbatterim wrote: »

which we would have taken before the group kicked off...

Not sure about that.

This is the most winnable group we have had in my memory.

No massive teams. A dogfight for sure but look at the North with four wins out of six and still absolutely no chance of overhauling Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

We should be cheering for Austria from here on as they could do us a massive favour if they can beat Serbia in Vienna.
    Agreed, we're now done and dusted with Austria and can shout for them to do as much damage to Wales and particularly Serbia as possible. The only issue is Austria don't have Serbia until the second last round of games so by that stage they may not have anything to play for, especially if they lose next game away to Wales.
    The reality is, as others are pointing out, is that if we want to top this group we're simply going to have to beat Serbia at home. Even then it won't be fully job done as we'd still have to at least avoid defeat in Cardiff as I can see Serbia getting wins against Georgia and Moldova and maybe a draw in Vienna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Cake Man wrote: »
    Agreed, we're now done and dusted with Austria and can shout for them to do as much damage to Wales and particularly Serbia as possible. The only issue is Austria don't have Serbia until the second last round of games so by that stage they may not have anything to play for, especially if they lose next game away to Wales.
    The reality is, as others are pointing out, is that if we want to top this group we're simply going to have to beat Serbia at home. Even then it won't be fully job done as we'd still have to at least avoid defeat in Cardiff as I can see Serbia getting wins against Georgia and Moldova and maybe a draw in Vienna.

If we beat Serbia, regardless of whether we lose against Wales and even regardless of whether Serbia win against Austria we could still win the group.

It will come down to goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I wouldnt go that far, but if they are the traditional bigger football nations, I would put it as a 60/40...

which we would have taken before the group kicked off...
    We definitely would have taken a play off spot before a ball was kicked in the group. However, things have change a bit and expectations have raised in the last about 10 months - the win in Vienna put us in a position where topping the group actually became a realistic target as it would've been a game we'd have been delighted with even a draw, Wales slipping up to a home draw with Georgia put them on the back foot early on, Austria continuing on their poor enough form from the Euros and Serbia being decent but no world beaters.

There'll likely be a few more twists and turns before the end but all in all, I would expect the standings in the group currently to remain more or less the same unfortunately with Serbia topping and us runners up. Just can't see us overtaking Serbia or doing enough to beat them but would happily be proved wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Whelan needs to be punted from the squad. When he plays he completely messes up our play. We have midfielders like Arter, Hendrick McCarthy that can defend just as well as him. (I'm sure Hendrick and Arter are well ahead of him in interceptions last season).

The difference between his and those players is that they'll drop deep take the ball, turn and try to make something happen. Whelan drops deep, gets the ball and passes it backwards bringing pressure on the ball and forcing the defence to launch it. And that's when he shows for the ball. Normally he's too cowardly to show for the ball from the defence so he stands beside an opposition player.

Germany at home, Italy in the Euros, Austria away all games Ireland have player well in, one common denominator. No Whelan, or in the case Austria no Whelan after 17 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Two points lost Sunday night lads showed Austria far to much respect why coudnt we have went at them from the start like we did in the last 10 ? Credit to Walters done very well to get the goal and got us out of jail all we can look at now is the Georgia game and that is most definitely a must win anything but and I can't see us qualifying can see Wales getting 12 points from there remaining 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Definitely two points lost ok. 
    Played a much weakened Austria team at home. We could well live to rue that first half performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Long way to go in the group. I reckon austria will be a much tougher game for Wales and Serbia after that point in dublin. Its gonna be a rollercoaster! Watching the highlights of the second half of the austria match, we definately had enough chances to win that game and the performance was pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Fair bit of negativity out there at the moment from press. Was at the game so basing my thoughts of first view, but we seemed to be a hell of alot better once we changed into a diamond like shape. First half I thought the game plan worked from an attacking view, as Walters won 4/5 decent balls, only problem was that nobody gambled with him. People seem to forget that we had 1 very good chance in the first half (Walters side foot that he opened up too much) and then another scuffed shot from corner of a box. We then conceded through a set piece without them looking that great elsewhere.

As soon as we changed things into a diamond we looked a hell of a lot better. Narrow enough in midfield to offer support, bodies in and around Walters and things looked a lot more positive. I thought the subs were generally very very poor, Wes didn't seem to have much of an effect and Murphy was useless, struggles to even hold a good position. Think if we're to get a win in Georgia we need Shane Long & Walters up front, with McCarthy sitting in a diamond 4 with Hendrick one side & McLean the other and either Arter or Wes off the front 2. Brady back to left back for me, as Stephen Ward looked horrendous from my view.

Midfield looked really poor, for all the running around Arter did it was mostly headless, and Jeff kept getting sucked out leaving Alaba to have free run of the pitch. Definitely will need to improve on it, but having been "terrible" and still unbeaten in the group I don't see how you can be too downhearted. Wales & Austria are running out of games I think if we can get 3 points in Georgia and we then go on to beat Serbia at home we will top the group, with how the fixtures are sitting.

• Advertisement

wardides wrote: »
    Definitely will need to improve on it, but having been "terrible" and still unbeaten in the group I don't see how you can be too downhearted. Wales & Austria are running out of games I think if we can get 3 points in Georgia and we then go on to beat Serbia at home we will top the group, with how the fixtures are sitting.

Its just the fear that a favourable campaign could end with us missing out on automatic qualification and a likely play-off defeat.

Beating that Austria side or Wales (with 10 men for 20 minutes) are easier prospects than beating Serbia, and likely easier than the vast majority of potential play-off opponents.

A win for ourselves and Serbia in the next round of fixtures and a Wales Austria draw would definitly leave it a 2 horse race then. Suppose people cant help but feel dissapointed i know we were very weak against Wales but that Austria team was there for the taking 2 points from our last 2 home games isint good enough if lads are on about topping the group hopefully the serbs at home we will get 3 points thats the one that really matters still well and truely in it but definitly bittersweet we go again :)

noodler wrote: »
    Its just the fear that a favourable campaign could end with us missing out on automatic qualification and a likely play-off defeat.

Beating that Austria side or Wales (with 10 men for 20 minutes) are easier prospects than beating Serbia, and likely easier than the vast majority of potential play-off opponents.

I definitely understand the slight disappointment in not coming away from Austria game with a win. Wales, again unlucky not to score in last ten minutes. But given the current state of affairs with our attacking threat I don't see it as a surprise that we sometimes draw a blank.

One thing I definitely don't understand the concept that Serbia are better than Wales & Austria. We may have been somewhat fortunate to get out of there with a point but think this was more down to the fact we scored early and went within ourselves from then on. They needed a last minute goal against Wales to get a point, conceded twice at home to Austria and really struggled in the first half away to Georgia. With the way the fixtures fall I think we're slightly favourites to finish top with Serbia coming here. Can't stress how tough Georgia away will be, but Moldova result may have hit them slightly. Thought we looked somewhat sluggish more than anything yesterday, maybe a few of them lads had tough seasons and it caught up.

Don't really buy the play off worry either. We spoke about Bosnia as if they were 1970 Brazil last year, and from current view it looks like it will be;
    Switzerland, Northern Ireland, Montenegro/Denmark, Slovakia, Italy, Bosnia/Greece, Iceland/Turkey.

Strip Italy out of that (assuming Portugal pip the Swiss) and I'd say the rest are more or less on a par with ourselves.

wardides wrote: »
    I definitely understand the slight disappointment in not coming away from Austria game with a win. Wales, again unlucky not to score in last ten minutes. But given the current state of affairs with our attacking threat I don't see it as a surprise that we sometimes draw a blank.

One thing I definitely don't understand the concept that Serbia are better than Wales & Austria. We may have been somewhat fortunate to get out of there with a point but think this was more down to the fact we scored early and went within ourselves from then on. They needed a last minute goal against Wales to get a point, conceded twice at home to Austria and really struggled in the first half away to Georgia. With the way the fixtures fall I think we're slightly favourites to finish top with Serbia coming here. Can't stress how tough Georgia away will be, but Moldova result may have hit them slightly. Thought we looked somewhat sluggish more than anything yesterday, maybe a few of them lads had tough seasons and it caught up.

Don't really buy the play off worry either. We spoke about Bosnia as if they were 1970 Brazil last year, and from current view it looks like it will be;
    Switzerland, Northern Ireland, Montenegro/Denmark, Slovakia, Italy, Bosnia/Greece, Iceland/Turkey.

Strip Italy out of that (assuming Portugal pip the Swiss) and I'd say the rest are more or less on a par with ourselves.

Praying Serbia will travel poorly but I am not holding my breath given the free reign a depleted Austria side had in Dublin for much of the game.

If we win our next two, we will almost certainly qualify automatically.

Massive, massive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The sooner Long is back, the better. Mo'N and Keane always talk about Daryl Murphy "not letting anyone down" but he looks so far off the pace at international level. He lumbers around with no real pace, his touch is awful, and there were times on Sunday where he looked like he couldn't even judge the flight of a ball coming straight out of the sky.

The sooner Long is back, the better. Mo'N and Keane always talk about Daryl Murphy "not letting anyone down" but he looks so far off the pace at international level. He lumbers around with no real pace, his touch is awful, and there were times on Sunday where he looked like he couldn't even judge the flight of a ball coming straight out of the sky.

He caused chaos on Sudnay evening, rescued a point for us in Belgrade when all looked lost.

I'd have thought there were easier targets for criticism.

Feck all gametime last season but good for a goal every 3 games.

He caused chaos on Sudnay evening, rescued a point for us in Belgrade when all looked lost.

I actually have a bit of time for Murphy as thought he did quite well in Belgrade, and had James Mclean not played a poor ball from 8 yards against France, he probably would have squared things up for us there. Problem is he's poor outside the box it's scary. As I said, I was there so havn't watched it back but he looked beyond lost from my view. Counted 3/4 instances where a ball was played up this head and he either misjudged a flight or was in the wrong position completely.

For me he should be well down the pecking order, even if playing the diamond for me it should be Long/McLean off Walters before Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Murphy can be effective, but of course it is widely accepted that we have a problem with strikers.
    We only really have Shane Long, and he is currently injured.
    Murphy and Walters are well into their 30s. Long himself is already 30.
    Let's hope Maguire or some other young striker can emerge soon. We have McGoldrick, Rooney, sheridan etc. but nobody could really argue they are of a top international standard. Kevin Doyle still makes the squad at age 33, playing in the States,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

I watched the tv showing of the game last night having been there Sunday. Its not all the doom and gloom that was felt leaving the stadium and reading some of the comments online. Our first touch was very poor off a number of players, no one was contesting the second ball and our ball retention consisted of a few passes around the backline followed by a punt forward. In the first half the only shot Austria had on target bar the goal was a weak effort straight at Randolph, we got forward a bit but the final ball was lacking. Numerous crosses from left and right were under/overhit. In the second half we really did put them under pressure, had a few chances to score but it still took a great save from our keeper to keep us in the game. Once we got the equaliser it was all us and Austria will count themselves lucky to have left with a point. MON was very close to leaving with a win barring some suspect officiating. He has made us so difficult to beat and we just never give up, I love attending the home games again and I do believe we will top the group. This team never gives up and MON seems to favour the cautious approach at the start, in the knowledge that we have a gamechanger on the bench. He has pulled off some serious results in his time in charge and I think sometimes people forget that.

• Advertisement

Ireland going longer because he was on the field caused chaos - theres a difference.

I dont mean to target him at all, Im sure he tries his best but he falls short in so many areas. A target man should be able to judge the flight of a straight long ball. He dropped out to exchange passes with McClean and Brady and lost the ball almost every time.

Its a shortcoming of the team, we have no goalscoring plan B at all, and his one goal in 20 odd caps only illustrates that

Ireland going longer because he was on the field caused chaos - theres a difference.

I dont mean to target him at all, Im sure he tries his best but he falls short in so many areas. A target man should be able to judge the flight of a straight long ball. He dropped out to exchange passes with McClean and Brady and lost the ball almost every time.

Its a shortcoming of the team, we have no goalscoring plan B at all, and his one goal in 20 odd caps only illustrates that

Counterfactual analysis, could argue any target man would have made an impact. Probably fairest to acknowledge he did anyway.

We should have made a better start anyway, think everyone agrees.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hopefully McCarthy and Long can play a big part when back. I'd imagine Walters would go back to the wing and our midfield in general would be much stronger and more composed. I like them both but i'd actually have McLean & Whelan miss out although both could be decent from the bench alongside Wes.

Still unbeaten and joint top of the group with both of our matches against Austria out of the way so im not as pessimistic as a lot of others whose opinion i've read, that said I wouldn't mind if Georgia or Austria helped us out too when they say face off vs The Serbs (who I think we will draw against again).

Think Walters has to be up top much more effective there and suits him better, Long wont start imo unless we play 2 up top but hes still very important to us in these remaining games and is due a goal for us. Having Wes and Long to come on in the latter stages is very benificial to us altough id like Wes to start but dont think MON is going to change his ways now. Brady needs to be put back to left back too now its going to be a long wait until September ...

Its a funny one with Whelan. 4/5 Ireland fans will tell you he should be nowhere near ths team, yet Irish manager after manager picks him whenevever hes available, and Mark Hughes sticks by him too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Hopefully McCarthy and Long can play a big part when back. I'd imagine Walters would go back to the wing and our midfield in general would be much stronger and more composed. I like them both but i'd actually have McLean & Whelan miss out although both could be decent from the bench alongside Wes.

Still unbeaten and joint top of the group with both of our matches against Austria out of the way so im not as pessimistic as a lot of others whose opinion i've read, that said I wouldn't mind if Georgia or Austria helped us out too when they say face off vs The Serbs (who I think we will draw against again).

I think Long will struggle to get the front man slot. He'd want to be cracking in the goals for his club. Walters up front any day of the week for me (at least until another viable option comes along)

McCarthy should be nowhere near the team until a drastic improvement is seen. He has been such a disappointment and is hitting a point in his career where he should be starting to peak - not even close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

If we're going to persist with the balls over the top tactics long is by far the better option as he has speed to burn, actually recorded the fastest sprint in the premiership this season.

Walters has been impressive for us in a wider position as well so we're not losing much, in terms of consistency I'm never disappointed with his contribution for us wherever he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

We badly need an attacking midfielder to come to prominence. Would great to see Richie Towell or Liam Kelly go on a run of form in the championship.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I think Long will struggle to get the front man slot. He'd want to be cracking in the goals for his club. Walters up front any day of the week for me (at least until another viable option comes along)

McCarthy should be nowhere near the team until a drastic improvement is seen. He has been such a disappointment and is hitting a point in his career where he should be starting to peak - not even close to it.

I'm just going on what we have seen before but I would not be surprised at all if McCarthy is straight back in and Walters is pushed out wide but continues to be a target man for long balls.

If he's not on form / getting his game for his club though Long may be an impact sub alongside Wes.

If he can get going again (finally started getting games with WBA at the end of the season) Marc Wilson could be in contention again at LB too although yeah I would not be surprised to see Brady pushed back there (not my preference) so that McLean can continue at LW and so that we will have more attacking options.

Artur, McCarthy and one of Hendrick (my choice), Whelan of Wes just sounds like our first choice in CM to me. Then you add in Brady, McLean or Walters to link em with Long / Walters up front.

Short term im a little worried about our defense (esp with Coleman out till 2018), long term we need new forwards but I honestly believe if we have our squad as fit as possible they are good enough to get the results needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Its a funny one with Whelan. 4/5 Ireland fans will tell you he should be nowhere near ths team, yet Irish manager after manager picks him whenevever hes available, and Mark Hughes sticks by him too

Glenn Whelan didn't play in the victories against Germany and Italy and in the away win against Austria he was subbed off in the 22nd minute. Ireland also kept three clean sheets in those games. Make of that what you will

Arghus wrote: »
    Glenn Whelan didn't play in the victories against Germany and Italy and in the away win against Austria he was subbed off in the 22nd minute. Ireland also kept three clean sheets in those games. Make of that what you will

In fairness he was replaced by David Meyler who isn't much better. Calling out the 3 games you mention, for me the big common factor is 2 strikers (although struggling to remember how central McLean played in Vienna. We are so much better with Long/Walters as opposed to one. Even if Walters is off the right he is still looking to get close to Shane Long.

Contrary to what people have said I think we're very solid at the back, Stephen Ward aside. If Shane Duffy could realise that he's not Maldini and stop trying to ping passes on every opportunity I think we would be ok. Think you also have to look at few positives from a club level next year -Duffy should be playing Premier League football, as should Ciaran Clarke. Kevin Long should get more game time, as should Brady. Lads at Preston could be involved in a playoff push, and similar Westwood again, and also Liam kelly at Reading should be ready to come through.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »

I'm of the opinion he shouldn't be there either btw - I just think its interesting that fans decry him, but manager after manager puts faith in him.

I actually like Whelan and think he generally has deserved his place but increasingly it has become the case that both him and McCarthy fill the same role in the side and now with Artur in the starting 11 and Hendrick keeping his place on merit since he got it and offering something different to Whelan/McCarthy it is probably time Whelan just becomes a sub for when we want to hold onto a lead or in case of injury assuming we have all our players to choose from.

As much as I do like Wes and more so how the team play when he is in the side at his age I am not really considering him in lineups and instead just hope he can stay as impactful of a sub as he has been.

Wouldn't mind if Westwood replaces Randolph too although he has kept his place cos he hasn't done too much wrong since he got the no.1 jersey. I'm thinking something like this.

..........................Westwood

Christie/Coleman....Duffy....Clarke....Brady

..............Hendrick..McCarthy..Arter
    ..Walters.....................................McLean
    ..........................Long

Randolph, Ward, Long, Whelan, Hoolahan, McGeady etc on the bench (we need a new striker)

Don't really like Brady in LB but i'd expect him to start and for some reason think Ward loses out instead of McLean in the current Irish setup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Whelan getting a lot of blame but i thought Hendrick was the worst CM for most of the game. I don't think Whelan would have started if McCartey was fit either.

McCarthy will struggle to get into the side because MON loves Hendrick and Glenn Whelo although I agree I'd much prefer him, Hendrick had a great euros but he's been far from spectacular in this campaign Arther although poor the other night is our most talented centre mid. McClean,Wes,Walters and Long need to be wrapped in cotton wool until September because that's where the goals are going to come from. Hopefully Seanie Maguire hits the ground running at Preston there's still time for him to stake a claim in this team and getting to Russia.

Mark Hughes signed Imbula for £20m to replace him. Unfortunately he flopped. He's now signed 33yo Darren Fletcher to replace him. Hes currently linked to Villa, to the dismay of Villa fans online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Mark Hughes signed Imbula for £20m to replace him. Unfortunately he flopped. He's now signed 33yo Darren Fletcher to replace him. Hes currently linked to Villa, to the dismay of Villa fans online.
    Stoke have spent countless millions on centre midfielders for years now and yet Glenn Whelan just keeps getting a game.

Villa could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Madness to read someone saying Hendrick can defend just as well as Whelan. I know Whelan tends to a bit of a scapegoat but Hendrick of late has been nothing short of a passenger. He offers nothing off the ball tactically. He needs to work on that side of his game in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

I think you need to go back and have another look at Ireland's games against Italy and France at Euro 2016 where McCarthy was our best player on the pitch.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I think you need to go back and have another look at Ireland's games against Italy and France at Euro 2016 where McCarthy was our best player on the pitch.

Outliers.

Whelan getting a lot of blame but i thought Hendrick was the worst CM for most of the game. I don't think Whelan would have started if McCartey was fit either.

Having been at the game, I've no idea what people are complaining about with Whelan. He was absolutely crucial and was our only midfielder to do anything, both Arter and Hendrick were anonymous.

I think a lot of Irish fans expect something out of Whelan which as a defensive midfielder he doesn't offer. He isn't an attacking player, he plays safe passes, he defends and covers well, but he isn't Wes Hoolahan and people associate Whelan with Traps reign of defensive, negative, but effective football.

I really appreciate Glenn Whelan, he always gives it his all, he's one of us, and has been an underrated midfielder who's been a cornerstone to Stoke's premier league status, and to our best form since 2002. Players like Arter and Hendrick are inexperienced at this level, and really need a player like Whelan who can lead by example. While I do agree he is getting on, I feel his experience still is valuable and I think he shouldn't be starting in the World Cup should we get there, he should definitely be in the squad for experience.

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »
    Madness to read someone saying Hendrick can defend just as well as Whelan. I know Whelan tends to a bit of a scapegoat but Hendrick of late has been nothing short of a passenger. He offers nothing off the ball tactically. He needs to work on that side of his game in a big way.

Hendrick can't play his game because Whelan is in his way, playing useless sideways and backwards passes. Joe Allen made more interceptions than him last season. Harry Arter made 48, Hendrick made 39 and International Superstar midfield breaker upper Glenn Whelan made 37.

Joe Allen also made more tackles than The Amazing Glenn Whelan. As did Harry Arter (83). Hendrick in his first ever season in the PL only made 13 less tackles than the Mighty Whelan.

What exactly is it that Whelan provides that makes him so valuable? He's proven to be a terrible player. He offers nothing. He's playing because he's safe, in that he will only pass it sideways and backwards.

Hendrick can't play his game because Whelan is in his way, playing useless sideways and backwards passes. Joe Allen made more interceptions than him last season. Harry Arter made 48, Hendrick made 39 and International Superstar midfield breaker upper Glenn Whelan made 37.

Joe Allen also made more tackles than The Amazing Glenn Whelan. As did Harry Arter (83). Hendrick in his first ever season in the PL only made 13 less tackles than the Mighty Whelan.

What exactly is it that Whelan provides that makes him so valuable? He's proven to be a terrible player. He offers nothing. He's playing because he's safe, in that he will only pass it sideways and backwards.

God, that's absolute rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Except he has proven to be a premier league player for ten years under two sucessive managers in a very competitive Stoke team.

Except he has been part of five Irish qualfiying campaigns, two of which have been successful and a third could possibly be. That would make him one of our most successful midfielders in a green jersey ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

"If I’m stood beside Glenn Whelan and I’ve done something wrong, he’ll dig me out," said Charlie Adam of his midfield partner.

That's why Glenn whelan is a good player.
    I think the split over him can be split roughly into two groups those who value the opinion of the rté panel, and don't like whelan, and those who trust the numerous managers, and Roy, who've picked him constantly for 10 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Whelan was nowhere near worst player on Sunday. Least he was interested and looking for ball.

And im not his biggest fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Brady was very poor. Seemed to lose the ball a bit and looked very nervous.

The problem, for me, with Whelan is that I don't think we need him with Hendrick & Arter. Can easily just get both to sit and then have Wes off a front man if we want to stick with the 5 in midfield, or even Brady if you don't think Wes can start. Problem on Sunday was that Hendrick and Arter were all over the shop, constantly exposing Whelan to 2v1 and 3v1 situations. Arter, in particular, ran around like a headless chicken at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

McCarthy will struggle to get into the side because MON loves Hendrick and Glenn Whelo although I agree I'd much prefer him, Hendrick had a great euros but he's been far from spectacular in this campaign Arther although poor the other night is our most talented centre mid. McClean,Wes,Walters and Long need to be wrapped in cotton wool until September because that's where the goals are going to come from. Hopefully Seanie Maguire hits the ground running at Preston there's still time for him to stake a claim in this team and getting to Russia.
    This isn't accurate. MON had been favouring McCarthy over Whelan but McCarthy has had injury problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This the same Whelan that clubs are offering to clubs for 500k, with Stoke holding out for £1m, realising they will need to settle for 6 figures?

Whelan being trusted by those managers is a poor reflection on those managers. As far as DM's go he is bottom of the barrell. He is an extremely poor midfielder, encapsulated by his inability to ever show for a pass, instead knowingly drifting away from the ball, to nearly avoid it.

He is in the team consistently because we have **** all specialised DM's, but calling him a DM is a bit of a myth as he is just poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement