Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Having been at the game, I've no idea what people are complaining about with Whelan. He was absolutely crucial and was our only midfielder to do anything, both Arter and Hendrick were anonymous.

I think a lot of Irish fans expect something out of Whelan which as a defensive midfielder he doesn't offer. He isn't an attacking player, he plays safe passes, he defends and covers well, but he isn't Wes Hoolahan and people associate Whelan with Traps reign of defensive, negative, but effective football.

I really appreciate Glenn Whelan, he always gives it his all, he's one of us, and has been an underrated midfielder who's been a cornerstone to Stoke's premier league status, and to our best form since 2002. Players like Arter and Hendrick are inexperienced at this level, and really need a player like Whelan who can lead by example. While I do agree he is getting on, I feel his experience still is valuable and I think he shouldn't be starting in the World Cup should we get there, he should definitely be in the squad for experience.

Experience? Experience of what exactly. He is a terribly one dimensional footballer that exudes no influence onto the games, what so ever. Whelan plays slow and safe, and that is it.

Experience is a myth, a construct to allow the selection of older players. It's "experience" that myth that had Dunphy calling for O'Shea to be introduced at half time. Laughable stuff.

Having been at the game, is not really some indication you have a better insight into what was happening as opposed to us watching on TV. It was abundantly evident on TV how he is just a poor midfielder, who purposefully drifts into positions to not receive the ball.

I'll maybe accept it's the managers tactics, of which I don't rate either, but in spells of the game where some of our players were trying to knit some passes together, he was as usual, standing behind an opposition player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I would actually be quite happy (as a fan of theirs) if Villa sign Whelan but given his age (34 mid next season) he should be considered a squad player. Himself and Jedinak to rotate in the defensive CM role allowing Lansbury & hourihane to have more freedom. How important that might be for a club trying to get promoted from such a busy league like the championship would be well worth the 750k I expect he will probably cost.

tbh Given his age this whole discussion will probably become moot too once McCarthy is fit, as I'd imagine he will just be his backup player in the Ireland set up going forward and then slowly get phased out.

I like him and he has done well enough but I am also not 100% convinced by Hendrick but Arter & McCarthy beside him as part of a 3 man midfield could mask many of his deficiencies potentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

TheDoc wrote: »
    Experience? Experience of what exactly. He is a terribly one dimensional footballer that exudes no influence onto the games, what so ever. Whelan plays slow and safe, and that is it.

Experience is a myth, a construct to allow the selection of older players. It's "experience" that myth that had Dunphy calling for O'Shea to be introduced at half time. Laughable stuff.

Having been at the game, is not really some indication you have a better insight into what was happening as opposed to us watching on TV. It was abundantly evident on TV how he is just a poor midfielder, who purposefully drifts into positions to not receive the ball.

I'll maybe accept it's the managers tactics, of which I don't rate either, but in spells of the game where some of our players were trying to knit some passes together, he was as usual, standing behind an opposition player.

Being at the game always gives you a better insight ffs. Especially in the case of Whelan as his off the ball positioning etc is something you will never see on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

noodler wrote: »
    God, that's absolute rubbish.

Ah so the premier league official stats are wrong??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Whelan has been a great servant to the team, 81 caps is seriously good going for a lad who made his debut at 24. He is not easy on the eye nor does he offer much going forward but he has been an important part of both the Irish and Stoke teams over the past 9 years and it says a lot about him that every manager he has had at club and country in that period has rated him highly enough to start him. I'm sure most players who have played alongside him would vouch for him too, you don't get away with not being that good at that level for that long. Since Stoke made it to the PL he has always managed at least 26 league games a season (getting over 30 most seasons).

He is probably coming to the end of his career now however hence why McCarthy seems to be ahead of him for Ireland and why he could be dropping down a division this season. Nothing wrong with that at all. If I was picking my strongest Irish team at the moment he wouldn't be in it but he is a good squad member to have at least until the World Cup is over, he could even keep playing until the 2020 Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

People who don't see what Whelan offers think we should play 3 attacking midfielders and win every game 6-4, it's nonsense.

He isn't flashy, but you need the likes of Whelan or McCarthy to give the others such as Hoolahan or Arter license to get forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

McCarthy looks to be off to either Newcastle or West Brom this window id probably prefer the latter working under Pulis could really bring him on an extra level and West Broms style is quite simular to ours plus McClean needs a mate with all them nordies at the hawtorns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Mark Hughes signed Imbula for £20m to replace him. Unfortunately he flopped. He's now signed 33yo Darren Fletcher to replace him. Hes currently linked to Villa, to the dismay of Villa fans online.

Nonsense, Fletcher is a totally different player. :rolleyes:

Playing at international level. There is a reason why players are phased in. International football isn't as easy as a league due to the consequences of one bad result.

I should have stopped reading after the first paragraph.

Yes it is, why do you think professional scouts go to matches, rather than watching them? You see so much about off the ball, positioning, leadership, and openness for the ball when at a game over watching a game on TV.

He's a defensive midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

He (Whelan) definitely wasn't showing for the ball in any meaningful way if that's what some are trying to suggest. He was far from our worst player, in fairness, but he is passed his use by date.

Our best performances/results of the MON era have come without him - In the Euros, against Austria away, against Germany. This is not a coincidence. I also feel, and some might find it unfair, that removing him from the lineup allows our other midfielders to flourish.

He was a good player to call on in a Trap era where we were trying to make ourselves difficult to beat again, after some shocking results under previous managers. But his time has passed - we have seen what we are capable of, against Italy and France, when we played ball without him.

The blame lies more on MON for the Austria performance. A midfield of Arter, Hendrick and Hoolahan would have been optimal - and would have set the tone, that we were going to push and not sit back and launch it like we did. Arter is more than capable of playing a holding role - he often does at Bournemouth and Hendrick also has in the past for Derby County in crucial games.

He (Whelan) still deserves inclusion in the squad as he would be a good asset to bring off the bench if we were defending a lead in the last 20 minutes. That's when his experience should come in handy.

That's not to absolve the likes of Jeff Hendrick, who has been a disgrace since the Euros, but he is young and should be entering his prime in the next year or two. Whelan is unfortunately past his.

• Advertisement

Very annoying the wait we have until the next set of fixtures hopefully McCarthy,Clark and Long along with the lads from last weekend can stay fit so for once we have a full strenght squad minus Seamy of course. Clark is our best cb imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Any idea when the NB gear will be released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Any idea when the NB gear will be released?

Says on the FAI site that it starts August 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The new jerseys/gear will be out in August in plenty of time before the next round of games.
    Hopefully they are an improvement on some of the crap Umbro served up over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Patww79 wrote: »
    Most of them have a template they do multiple kits from, but I don't recall seeing any NewBalance ones before.
    In fairness to them even the celtic and rovers kits are quite different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We might have an Irishman in the Champions League next season! - Johnny Hayes has joined Celtic from Aberdeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Brady was very poor. Seemed to lose the ball a bit and looked very nervous.

Very overrated player. The clamour for him to get a move to a 'big club' after the Euros and now he can't nail down a spot in the Burnley starting lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

MON won't pick Sheridan.
    If he didn't pick him for the recent friendlies, with our dearth of forward options and Long out injured then he probably never will.

• Advertisement

MON won't pick Sheridan.
    If he didn't pick him for the recent friendlies, with our dearth of forward options and Long out injured then he probably never will.
    He might pick him in future squads. Wouldn't rule it out. Murphy should've started the last day.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    \
    He might pick him in future squads.  Wouldn't rule it out. 

350.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

UEFA opening disciplinary cases against McClean and O Neill after their comments about the referee in the Austria match

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

paulie21 wrote: »
    UEFA opening disciplinary cases against McClean and O Neill after their comments about the referee in the Austria match

Rightly so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

paulie21 wrote: »
    Danger here:eek:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/ref-blast-may-haunt-martin-oneill-and-james-mcclean-452999.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Eh, isn't the 4 match ban related to comments made during the game? I have never heard of post match comments, especially ones that standard practice incurring a "4 game ban".

2 very naive and inexcusable sets of comments from experienced football professionals risking putting their team in jeapordy to let some steam off. Whatever about McClean who had adrenaline still pumping in his veins and was plucked by RTE as he marched frustratingly off the pitch, O'Neill had time to control his feelings and generally chooses the questions he wants to answer so is very well aware how the impact interviews have.

RTE were very naive sticking the microphone in front of one of the most outspoken players in the team! He wasn't even MOTM who usually gets the interview straight away!

saying that, Messi's incident is different

I wouldn't say RTE were naive at all.Looking for few sound bites of one of the most likely players to speak his mind.

McClean's comments clearly imply the referee was biased so he could be trouble there.

MON's less clear cut. And it's less relevant if a manager is banned in my view, more important the players are all available.

Didn't the Austrian defender also make some comments at the time that they were lucky and the ref got it wrong ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    I wouldn't say RTE were naive at all.Looking for few sound bites of one of the most likely players to speak his mind.

They weren't naive, they just didn't care about the consequences of their actions, probably did actually and just saw it as even more potential headlines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Darn right.

Calling RTE naive and McClean "outspoken" is a very peculiar way of absolving McClean of his stupid comments.

Don't get me wrong, RTE should not be held accountable in this. Not in anyway. That is how broadcasting works.

But for an interviewer who is surely willing for Ireland. looking for quotes from likely players to criticise the ref is quite the definition of naive after that game and how it panned out, considering we did seem to be the brunt of the ref's bad decisions at times (or so it was likely to be perceived by the players on the pitch anyway).

In that scenario, a quick timecheck would have allowed them the common sense to protect such a scenario. The likes of club games when interviewers have no affiliation to the teams involved fishing for these sort of reactions is understandable but the national brodcaster should, you would like to hope, want to protect the team

I don't blame a broadcaster/interviewer for looking for headline quotes but I would call it naive to think anti ref jibes will cause disciplinary problems.

as you said, they were looking for controversial soundbyte's especially about the disallowed goal but they didn't anticipate the consequences,

so, yeah, they knew what they were at
    but (if they were looking from the perspective of the interests of the team), they were a tad naive to not think these 2 particular lads wouldn't air a bit of fury at the ref when questioned about him, or indirectly so.

In that sense, I think they were naive, but McClean and O'Neill are responsible for their own actions and they should have controlled their feelings.

noodler wrote: »
    Darn right.

Calling RTE naive and McClean "outspoken" is a very peculiar way of absolving McClean of his stupid comments.

I didn't, in any way absolve McClean of his actions, not sure why you interpreted it so.

Anyway, I am just giving my POV,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't get me wrong, RTE should not be held accountable in this. Not in anyway. That is how broadcasting works.

But for an interviewer who is surely willing for Ireland. looking for quotes from likely players to criticise the ref is quite the definition of naive after that game and how it panned out, considering we did seem to be the brunt of the ref's bad decisions at times (or so it was likely to be perceived by the players on the pitch anyway).

In that scenario, a quick timecheck would have allowed them the common sense to protect such a scenario. The likes of club games when interviewers have no affiliation to the teams involved fishing for these sort of reactions is understandable but the national brodcaster should, you would like to hope, want to protect the team

I don't blame a broadcaster/interviewer for looking for headline quotes but I would call it naive to think anti ref jibes will cause disciplinary problems.

as you said, they were looking for controversial soundbyte's especially about the disallowed goal but they didn't anticipate the consequences,

so, yeah, they knew what they were at
    but (if they were looking from the perspective of the interests of the team), they were a tad naive to not think these 2 particular lads wouldn't air a bit of fury at the ref when questioned about him, or indirectly so.

In that sense, I think they were naive, but McClean and O'Neill are responsible for their own actions and they should have controlled their feelings.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree altogether there.

Rte does not and should not have to concern itself with McClean's faux pas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Anyway, I am just giving my POV,.

And your POV on this issue is absolute nonsense. The reporter was doing his job. McClean and O'Neill were idiots for saying what they said.

And your POV on this issue is absolute nonsense. The reporter was doing his job. McClean and O'Neill were idiots for saying what they said.

I didn't say anything to dispute this. Christ. I merely said that if they didn't think they would get a negative reaction like that or criticism of the ref, they were naive. But maybe they did anticipate they would and maybe that was their aim. In that scenario they weren't naive. They don't owe any obligation to protect the team, which I assume you understand I am well aware.

It is pretty simple.

I am not here for silly squabble anyway so let's leave it there,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

McClean's comments clearly imply the referee was biased so he could be trouble there.

MON's less clear cut. And it's less relevant if a manager is banned in my view, more important the players are all available.

Didn't the Austrian defender also make some comments at the time that they were lucky and the ref got it wrong ?

If MON gets suspended Roy Keane is in charge. Some would see that as an improvement.

Losing McClean would be a hammer blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sdanseo wrote: »
    If MON gets suspended Roy Keane is in charge. Some would see that as an improvement.

Losing McClean would be a hammer blow.

Good test for Keane if he wants the job for himself once MON steps down which will probably be next summer once his contract is up.

What normally happens in such matters. A fine? I doubt he'll be suspended for that or receive a yellow card type sanction.

For MON, again the worst would be a slap on the wrist fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,949 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One year on from Brady's goal vs Italy at the euros

Amazing night and where has the time gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

PTH2009 wrote: »
    One year on from Brady's goal vs Italy at the euros

Amazing night and where has the time gone

Re-watched it about ten times this morning. Still get goosebumps. I remember the whole street screaming when it went in, and of course the picture of Keano welling up.

Made it all the better after Wes missing the sitter beforehand the athmosphere inside that closed stadium was crazy and the scenes outside the square in Lille afterwards dont think il ever witness a better sporting moment in the flesh again made drinking them warm plastic glasses of heineken alot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Duff wrote: »
    the picture of Keano welling up.

Link?

Good test for Keane if he wants the job for himself once MON steps down which will probably be next summer once his contract is up.

Oh Jaysus. Roy and Delaney working together with no mon as a buffer, blood would be shed, and I doubt it would be Roy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Oh Jaysus. Roy and Delaney working together with no mon as a buffer, blood would be shed, and I doubt it would be Roy's.

Some would also see that as an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,949 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ahhh this exact time last year

Sitting in a pub now and it's easy too say there's no comparison and the pubs is quite tame atm lol

I'm 27 now and brayds goal was my Italia 90, hopefully we will have a Russia 18 moment

sdanseo wrote: »
    Some would also see that as an improvement.

I would too but unfortunately with the fai there would only be one winner between those two. And it wouldn't be the football person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I would too but unfortunately with the fai there would only be one winner between those two. And it wouldn't be the football person.

Doubt Keane would have taken a job with the FAI in the first place if there was still tension between them.

He wouldn't be my first choice as a replacement for MON but I doubt Hughton would be available for quite awhile.

Bradys goal was a great moment but I reckon the atmosphere for the first half/pre game of France game was better.Irish fans were on a complete high and Lyon was hopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

Bradys goal was a great moment but I reckon the atmosphere for the first half/pre game of France game was better.Irish fans were on a complete high and Lyon was hopping.

Half time in the stadium was absolutely mental. Build up and first half of the France game was definitely better. Bradys goal was obviously the highlight of the trip.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement