Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Jack Grealish knocked out with England under21s in the semis without playing a minute. You'd wonder is he starting to wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Jack Grealish knocked out with England under21s in the semis without playing a minute. You'd wonder is he starting to wonder.

He can go smell the sun-dried tomato plants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Dots1982 wrote: »

He'd wanna go sack his agent anyway. Instead of not getting a game for England's u21s he could have been a member of the Irish senior team and played in Euro 2016. So listening to his dad and agent to choose England cause they'd be worth more money has back fired.

I'd probably be the only person with this view but I'd take him back if he ditched his agent and dad. I believe it probably wasn't fully his own choice to declare for England and probably pressured into it so others could make more money of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Don't think he would have made the Euro 16 squad but most likely would now be a regular in our set up.
    He's a good player , if he keeps the head down and works hard will have a good EPL career but don't see him getting dozens of England caps.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Don't think he would have made the Euro 16 squad but most likely would now be a regular in our set up.
    He's a good player , if he keeps the head down and works hard will have a good EPL career but don't see him getting dozens of England caps.

Can't ever see him getting capped by England. Yeah it's hard to say whether he would have made the Euro 2016 squad, if basing it off his actual performances over the last two years yeah not a chance he'd have made it but had he chosen Ireland his career would have probably turned out better over the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Can't ever see him getting capped by England

I wouldn't write him off yet still very young.He may well get a handful of caps at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Can't ever see him getting capped by England. Yeah it's hard to say whether he would have made the Euro 2016 squad, if basing it off his actual performances over the last two years yeah not a chance he'd have made it but had he chosen Ireland his career would have probably turned out better over the last two years.

Not a hope of him ever getting into the England squad. Even if he had stuck with us, it's hard to know if he'd have played by now. He is regularly a sub at Aston Villa a Championship side, we have a lot of guys who don't make the 23 who are playing every week at that level.
    Looked a great player based on a couple of games, but will end up being another Steven Ireland type it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Clayton Rough Sportsman

Can he change back to Ireland or is it done for him....not really sure id take him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Can he change back to Ireland or is it done for him....not really sure id take him back

He can still change back. It's only when you play a senior competitive game you are tied to that side. Alex Bruce, Steves son played a few friendlies for us but still was able to go play for Northern Ireland once he realised he wasn't as good as Paul McShane.

• Advertisement

Stevecw wrote: »
    He can still change back. It's only when you play a senior competitive game you are tied to that side. Alex Bruce, Steves son played a few friendlies for us but still was able to go play for Northern Ireland once he realised he wasn't as good as Paul McShane.

Wonder could Alex Bruce switch nationalities again cause I think he didn't play a competitive game for the North either or are there rules against that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

My understanding is if he hands in the paperwork to change allegiance then you cant go back even if you never play a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Clayton Rough Sportsman

My understanding is if he hands in the paperwork to change allegiance then you cant go back even if you never play a game

Thought that myself.....era his own fault...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope he never gets a game for England or Ireland. A gold digging prat with limited ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

People still bitter about that?

He made his choice and it seems to have backfired. Can we move on and focus on players that want to be part of the side?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

People still bitter about that?

He made his choice and it seems to have backfired. Can we move on and focus on players that want to be part of the side?

People on here are still bitter about Harry Arter and he chose to play for us.

People will NEEEVER let the Grealish thing go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Screw that, I still hate Stephen Ireland :)

Screw that, I still hate Stephen Ireland :)
    Ah i had sympathy with him over his many grannys dying.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ah i had sympathy with him over his many grannys dying.

Funny how nobody ever has sympathy for his girlfriend having a miscarriage

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Funny how nobody ever has sympathy for his girlfriend having a miscarriage

Most had. Now if he had just told the truth !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ireland was 21
    His 20/21 year old wife miscarried
    She rang Ireland base to get through to Ireland
    She got through to Staunton and requested for him immediately and staunton, for whatever reason, asked why
    She panicked, and said his granny died, obviously due to the extreme personal nature of the problem
    When Ireland got hold of her and asked to leave word had already got around the camp that his granny had "died" and instead of saying she lied and she had actually miscarried, he didn't say anything.
    Word got around the press that she had "died" and it went out of control when this was proved otherwise

CUE HYSTERIA

Ireland was a young guy at the time, trying to build a career and has spoken already about how he never felt comfortable in the dressing room already. He got a hard time about the hair transplant and some young lads may not be able to take things as a bit of banter.

It was, after all the granny gate very uncomfortable for him to reenter the Irish fray. I can analyse the motives around his decision not to. I am not saying I would do the same, and reject the call up, but some people, especially that young aren't as hardened as others . As the years went by and the mockery of him by fans escalated, you can imagine it would be very tough for him to return.

There may also have been an element of "f*ck off, they showed me no respect (the fans) and I am a figure of ridicule in the country, so I don't owe them anything"

He also spoke about wanting to perhaps reenter the fray about 4 years ago. That was the last I heard about it. And sadly, he hasn't reached the potential he showed in those early years since,

It is all a mess, sadly. And people seem to always be completely uninformed about the complete circumstances to the point we have a poster saying they hate him or won't ever forgive him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

I always saw stephen Hunt as one of the main culprits on the Ireland situation. Going on to the late late shortly after, pissed as a fart, making a laugh of him was bang out of order at the time.

gufc21 wrote: »
    I always saw stephen Hunt as one of the main culprits on the Ireland situation. Going on to the late late shortly after, pissed as a fart, making a laugh of him was bang out of order at the time.

I don't mind Hunt, he always gave it his all but christ he has came across as a right eegit at occasions! He knew that he may be a potential victim of squad wittling down if Ireland qualified for 2010 and Stephen Ireland was recalled for the final squad, you would imagine. And he comes across as the sort of "joker" who would have taken the p*ss out of Ireland and make a mockery of him if he reentered the fray.

Here is an article which details the whole GrannyGate debacle

The comments below it for the most part show, when you know the whole story, show a fair analysis. Then there are those who are less forgiving but make some fair points. And most of the rest are from simpletons who just love faux outrage and haven't an ounce of empathy or intelligence to consider the whole circumstances.

http://www.the42.ie/opinion-why-stephen-ireland-deserves-sympathy-1084882-Sep2013/

Ah ya but there's a difference between having a laugh and a joke and bullying someone. Which is what he did or at least described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think it's just a pity the way things turn out. I don't blame Stephen Ireland at all for what happened.
    He really was a great prospect and had the ability to play for a Champions League side. He is probably the only Irish player since Duff and Robbie Keane who could have played for a really big club for a long time. That season he had in 08/09 he was outstanding and he looked as though he would become a top class player. I think he lacked the hunger to maintain that form or improve on it in the long term.
    He was a breath of fresh air from the unimaginative grafters we've been churning out on this island for many years. He was basically a Wes Hoolahan with pace and power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Stephen Ireland basically comes across as a Michael Carroll who could play football. Couldn't believe his luck when he got a bit of money and thought he was Mr Big-time. The garish house and motors show that. A pink rimmed Range ffs. Didn't have the brain to realise that you have to stay focused and train hard to stay in the big leagues.

Wouldn't be the first young lad to have that happen to him. There's dozens of footballers who have been down the same path.

Stephen Ireland basically comes across as a Michael Carroll who could play football. Couldn't believe his luck when he got a bit of money and thought he was Mr Big-time. The garish house and motors show that. A pink rimmed Range ffs. Didn't have the brain to realise that you have to stay focused and train hard to stay in the big leagues.

I have seen lads getting a job labouring on building sites during the boom time doing the bloody same, relatively speaking. Lads who get their first big job after graduating.
    Wasting all their wages on anything they can get their hands on, enjoying themselves. It doesn't mean they are brainless

What do you want him to do? The guy was 21, had a lot of free time. Have money, will spend.

Maybe he should have became a mormon, donated all his cash to charity and drive a grey Lada? (FWIW, he actually does have his own charity foundation, in his own name, the brainless f*cker!)

And how do you know he wasn't training as much as anyone else? It only takes 20 minutes to go to a car dealer and buy a car? And ask for it to be modified for your liking.

Every second footballer does the same. You think it makes you a better footballer if you don't enjoy yourself a bit and spend your wages? He obviously had a passion for flashy cars, albeit terrible judgement in most people's eyes colour wise!

I have seen lads getting a job labouring on building sites during the boom time doing the bloody same, relatively speaking. Lads who get their first big job after graduating.
    Wasting all their wages on anything they can get their hands on, enjoying themselves. It doesn't mean they are brainless

What do you want him to do? The guy was 21, had a lot of free time. Have money, will spend.

Maybe he should have became a mormon, donated all his cash to charity and drive a grey Lada? (FWIW, he actually does have his own charity foundation, in his own name, the brainless f*cker!)

And how do you know he wasn't training as much as anyone else? It only takes 20 minutes to go to a car dealer and buy a car? And ask for it to be modified for your liking.

Every second footballer does the same. You think it makes you a better footballer if you don't enjoy yourself a bit and spend your wages? He obviously had a passion for flashy cars, albeit terrible judgement in most people's eyes colour wise!

2016/2017
    Stoke City 0(0) 0
    2015/2016
    Stoke City 13(13) 0
    2014/2015
    Stoke City 17(6) 0

2016/2017
    Stoke City 0(0) 0
    2015/2016
    Stoke City 13(13) 0
    2014/2015
    Stoke City 17(6) 0

He had a broken leg at the end of the 2016 season afaik. He was out all of last year

• Advertisement

2016/2017
    Stoke City 0(0) 0
    2015/2016
    Stoke City 13(13) 0
    2014/2015
    Stoke City 17(6) 0
    How many appearances did Shay Given make in that time? Does that also mean he's not training?

Nonsense post.

2016/2017
    Stoke City 0(0) 0
    2015/2016
    Stoke City 13(13) 0
    2014/2015
    Stoke City 17(6) 0

They are appearances, not training stats. The guy clearly didn't develop into the top PL footballer many anticipated despite his talents. He should have taken a step back to Championship. Doesn't mean he wasn't training .

FWIW, Stephen Ireland made 176 appeances for City, a PL team and was extremely well thought of,. It was in his early years of this he bought those cars with silly colours.

ERGO, no effect at that time. Maybe if he had continued with the modified motors he would have a balon d'or by now. Who knows!!

Also if you do a realistic analysis of his Villa and Stoke appearances, for a midfielder in the PL are hardly bad going down the years, especially when he had injuries and had to compete in a Stoke team that didn't play to his strengths. How many PL midfielders build up that many appearances in what is a squad game.

He has had a good carreer and made a lot of money, never out of contract and never out of the PL.
    Not many Irish players have ever achieved that success.

How many appearances did Shay Given make in that time? Does that also mean he's not training?

Nonsense post.

Shay Given went to Stoke as 2nd/3rd choice goalie on the downward slope of his career. Ireland should be in his prime. He's wasted his talent. It won't be massively surprising if hes broke by the time he's 40.

Shay Given went to Stoke as 2nd/3rd choice goalie on the downward slope of his career. Ireland should be in his prime. He's wasted his talent. It won't be massively surprising if hes broke by the time he's 40.

Maybe he wasn't as talented as people anticipated him to be in the future??? How many Stoke games do you watch him. He is still playing at the same level of football for a deeper squad and like all modern PL players, your appearance stats wane as squads get deeper.

He is still the same sort of player, hasn't regressed at all really, but hasn't progressed to the level people like yourself HOPED or even EXPECTED he would. Just because he has "failed" to do be whatever you thought he was going to be (which is, I am interested to know by the way?? )doesn't mean he had been a cert to do so but failed. So many young players are hyperboled in their early years by OTT media, and in Ireland in particular, we go OTT when we see a good player and expect him to go on and be a superstar.

Expectancy and hope are one thing. Sadly, hope doesn't always materialise, especially the huge expectations that people had of Ireland.

He was playing at the exact same level he was back then. Maybe he peaked early, like many midfielders do.

You don't last too long for a PL team if you don't make the effort

Maybe he wasn't as talented as people anticipated him to be in the future??

Talent was never his problem. He played to a very high level for an entire season in 08/09. His vision, technique and eye for a goal were all excellent.

If you're working as hard after that I don't think his fall from grace would have been so dramatic.

A few managers have also questioned his work ethic.

Talent was never his problem. He played to a very high level for an entire season in 08/09. His vision, technique and eye for a goal were all excellent.

If you're working as hard after that I don't think his fall from grace would have been so dramatic.

A few managers have also questioned his work ethic.

Why do you think his fall from grace was so dramatic?? Still playing at same level, for a club that was on a similar platform, if not more competitive considering the money that has gone into English football over the last 5 years.
    Better players from around Europe being transferred in from abroad

He is competing with half a dozen players or more in an ever present PL team, some extremely well thought of, for his preferred position in a team that doesn't necessarily suit his strengths and still getting game time.

It was easy to stand out in a midtable City team in a less competitive era of PL football. It was easy to stand out in one of the worst periods of Irish football.

Who questioned his work ethic? It is just as easy for me to say lots of managers have said he is the hardest working player in the squad? Not that I am saying you are misleading us to make a point, I am interested in knowing?

Only a few months ago he was offered a new contract by Stoke WHILE RECOVERING FROM A LEG BREAK.. Given his contract is out next month and he has such an injury, it seems irrational why they would want to take a risk to keep him as he recovers from such a potentially debilitating injury going forward if they don't value him.

He is an average PL footballer, nothing more, nothing less and this has always been his standing, even when at City he hardly set the league alight, but was young and stood out. Maybe he was always going to be. I don't think his lifestyle ruined his prospects. I just don't think he was ever going to be more than people wanted him to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah now come on.

He has clearly has a massive fall from grace.

He will be gone from Stoke as soon as his contract is up or they can move him on.

Lets not pretend he is still the same player because he is technically on the books of an EPL club.

I am sure he trains alot but I'd wonder it is always with the first team.

"Massive fall from grace"

What is grace for you?

noodler wrote: »
    Ah now come on.

He has clearly has a massive fall from grace.

He will be gone from Stoke as soon as his contract is up or they can move him on.

Lets not pretend he is still the same player because he is technically on the books of an EPL club.

I am sure he trains alot but I'd wonder it is always with the first team.

Ah here, i think you're ignoring the fact that he's 30 years of age coming off a broken leg in order to twist the facts to fit your point of view.

Is it always with the first team? Ok how about this, I'm telling you it is. Now prove otherwise.

Ffs the lad didn't play for Ireland after some bad experiences with the camp and media and people are ready to tar him with massive regression.

Maybe look at the culture that was allowed to exist and encouraged to a point of where Ireland was lambasted on national tv for not putting up with it.

Ireland made a good career for himself in mid table premier league teams. Was he ever going to be the next shining light at attacking midfield? He made a lot of money playing his position over the past 10+ years. While he may have had some problems mentally during his career, he's still playing premier league football. Credit to him.

Could he have been more? Maybe

Did we miss him in a green shirt? Yes

was he a failure? Certainly not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Ireland was 21
    His 20/21 year old wife miscarried
    She rang Ireland base to get through to Ireland
    She got through to Staunton and requested for him immediately and staunton, for whatever reason, asked why
    She panicked, and said his granny died, obviously due to the extreme personal nature of the problem
    When Ireland got hold of her and asked to leave word had already got around the camp that his granny had "died" and instead of saying she lied and she had actually miscarried, he didn't say anything.
    Word got around the press that she had "died" and it went out of control when this was proved otherwise

CUE HYSTERIA

Ireland was a young guy at the time, trying to build a career and has spoken already about how he never felt comfortable in the dressing room already. He got a hard time about the hair transplant and some young lads may not be able to take things as a bit of banter.

It was, after all the granny gate very uncomfortable for him to reenter the Irish fray. I can analyse the motives around his decision not to. I am not saying I would do the same, and reject the call up, but some people, especially that young aren't as hardened as others . As the years went by and the mockery of him by fans escalated, you can imagine it would be very tough for him to return.

There may also have been an element of "f*ck off, they showed me no respect (the fans) and I am a figure of ridicule in the country, so I don't owe them anything"

He also spoke about wanting to perhaps reenter the fray about 4 years ago. That was the last I heard about it. And sadly, he hasn't reached the potential he showed in those early years since,

It is all a mess, sadly. And people seem to always be completely uninformed about the complete circumstances to the point we have a poster saying they hate him or won't ever forgive him!!

Very well said

I do wonder if some people actually saw Ireland playing in the 08/09 season. He was up for young player of the year. He was the driving force of his club, scored a glut of goals, had bundles of energy and showed great vision. He always did the right thing at the right time.

How anyone can argue he was the same player after that is mindboggling.

2008/2009 was a standout season, I am not going to dispute that but before that season and then directly after that he is the exact same player he always was.

How many young players have one unbelievable season, maybe 2, out of nowhere and then just revert to the player they used to be.

This is an article, circa 2010 from Man City journalist/blogger, whatever that perfectly sums up Stephen Ireland before and after that season.

Again, remember he was playing in a pretty uncompetitive squad in a less competitive league for an average team. Context.

The Curious Case of Stephen Ireland

Rumours have been circulating for weeks, and apparently have been confirmed as truth — Stephen Ireland wants out of Manchester City.

This time last year was being hailed as the long-term future of the club after a season in which he was undoubtedly our best player in Blue. However, in the twelve months since, the Emerald Prince’s crown has slipped.

He’s always been a character, has Stevie. And by “character”, I mean “total whack-job”.

There’s been his hair. His aquarium. His taste in cars. His taste in cars again. His Bebo faux-pas. His lack-of-hair this time. His lost iPod. His training regime. His tattoos. And of course, his dead grandmother (or both). What goes on inside that head of Ireland's sometimes is anybody's guess.

In his early playing days, under Pearce especially (but also games under Sven), he looked like a little boy lost. Stuck out on the wing sometimes, but even when in his preferred position in the hole, Ireland failed to deliver, and quickly became a target for the boo-boys — all this despite many players saying that he was the "most skillful player they'd played with". When rumours of a potential move to Sunderland at the beginning of the 2008-09 campaign surfaced, the common feeling amongst fans was “I’ll drive him there myself”.

Then suddenly, Stevie got good.

In a somewhat ordinary season (takeover aside, considering how much money we spent), Ireland provided most of the highlights. The pin-point pass to set up Shaun Wright-Phillips in his re-debut against Sunderland — the team he was all but nailed on to join. His lung-busting runs to set up Felipe Caicedo twice against Hull in a game he dominated single-handedly, as well as similar efforts against Hamburg away and Everton, in both of which he was the beneficiary of Robinho’s trickery.

I’m not sure whether it was the change of system employed by Hughes at the start of last season, or the excessive amount of training he did in the off-season, or the end of that telepathic relationship he had with Robinho, but right from the start, you could tell something was not right.

Sure, he’s had dizzy spells and injuries this season, as well as not being able to play in his preferred position, but that really doesn’t explain just how badly Ireland has played when he has been able to take the field. His effort and stamina — two of the major positives in his game the season before last — were nowhere to be seen as he allowed a man twelve years his senior who had played 80 more minutes in the match to ghost past him and score the winner (yes we are talking about the Ginger Pig in the Derby, sorry to bring it up).

Maybe a new manager will get the best out of Stevie, but he’s had four different ones so far at City and put in one season of solid performance.

I hope Ireland gets back to playing some decent footy — but I just can’t see it happening in a blue shirt. If at all.

Maybe he just reverted to type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

"Massive fall from grace"

What is grace for you?

Playing regularly for your country.

Playing regularly for a premier league team.

Hell, just outright playing for your team in any capacity.

You are performing some degree of mental gymnastics in order to justify that a player who has averaged ten appearances a season for the last three season is still, somehow, at a similar level to where he was 8 years ago.

8 years ago when he was at a bigger club, being the clubs player of the season, scoring regularly, assisting regularly and generally contributing.

He'll be gone when his contract expires.

Ah here, i think you're ignoring the fact that he's 30 years of age coming off a broken leg in order to twist the facts to fit your point of view.

Is it always with the first team? Ok how about this, I'm telling you it is. Now prove otherwise.

Ffs the lad didn't play for Ireland after some bad experiences with the camp and media and people are ready to tar him with massive regression.

Maybe look at the culture that was allowed to exist and encouraged to a point of where Ireland was lambasted on national tv for not putting up with it.

Ireland made a good career for himself in mid table premier league teams. Was he ever going to be the next shining light at attacking midfield? He made a lot of money playing his position over the past 10+ years. While he may have had some problems mentally during his career, he's still playing premier league football. Credit to him.

Not too sure what that pile of garbage is or why its directed at me so I'm good to ignore it.

But he candidly admitted he had never enjoyed being away on international duty, from when he was an aspiring teenager coming through the Ireland ranks.
    "My parents encouraged me to play and said it was really important for my development," said Ireland.
    "I played for the Under-14s, Under-15s and so on. But as soon as I came over here and signed my contract with City, I said 'that's it'. I rejected going to a lot of the squads.
    "I got called up to the full squad under Brian Kerr, then we had a massive fall-out. I stayed away for two or three years, which was a blessing in disguise.
    "Then Steve Staunton called me up, and I'd just broken into the City team, so I felt I had to go. But after two or three squads I was thinking 'what am I doing here?'.
    "There were times I'd finish a game with City at 8pm, then I was meant to meet up with the Ireland squad at 10pm in Dublin.
    "I'd just ring up and say I don't feel well. There was nothing wrong with me, I just had no intention of ever going. I just never enjoyed it.
    "I know fans will say 'well every other player does it', and that's fine, fair play. But I'm not bothered."

Sounds like the bad "experiences" were all coming from the one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

All these years later and lads are still arguing about Stephen Ireland

double-facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Playing regularly for your country.

Playing regularly for a premier league team.

Hell, just outright playing for your team in any capacity.

You are performing some degree of mental gymnastics in order to justify that a player who has averaged ten appearances a season for the last three season is still, somehow, at a similar level to where he was 8 years ago.

8 years ago when he was at a bigger club, being the clubs player of the season, scoring regularly, assisting regularly and generally contributing.

He'll be gone when his contract expires.

* he played 6 games for Ireland in one the worst periods of Irish soccer ever. Hardly an illustrious profile of "regular" games. Yes he played well and we all had high hopes for him and the end was a sad mess but the reasons behind him not playing anymore have NOTHING to do with him as a player. And you know that.

* Ireland was injured all last season and a lot of the season before so it is you who is fiddling with the figures somewhat when you give the "average appearance" figures over the last 3 years.
    2013/14: 30 appearances
    2014/15: 20 "
    2015/16: 16 " (injured during season with hamstring issues, broke leg towards end of season )
    2016/2017: Injured

* Man City were a club with a bigger fan base but were not a "bigger club" quality wise compared to Stoke. They were a midtable/lower midtable club. Whilst Stoke finished 9th 3 seasons in a row when he was available/playing. So, again, misleading point.

*He was offered a new contract in May and that is while he still recovers from injury. . Whether he takes it or not will be dependent on his own decision. Maybe he won't, as it appears likely now, as he may want more appearances.

I have already conceded that 2008/2009 was a standout season for him but before that and after that he has been much the same player playing at the same level.
    He scored 9 goals that season, and a few in Europe which is a great return but no other season has he any way close to replicating that.

My point is the guy is an average player who has always played for average clubs who had a spectacular one off season out of nowhere but other than that has been much the same player throughout his career.

Christ almighty, another Irishman off to Preston!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0630/886867-kevin-oconnor-joins-irish-legion-at-preston/

Greg Cunningham
    Andy Boyle
    Kevin O Connor
    Adam O Reilly

Alan Browne
    Horgan
    McGeady
    Eoin Doyle

Maguire
    Oscar O Neill

All we need is a keeper and a full green 11 !

I think they'll be grand, while Grayson was the manager I'd say it was more Peter Ridsdale shopping for bargains that the league of Ireland players were brought over. Preston don't strike me as a club who splash the cash so any new manager will probably have to make do with what he has.

Surprised Kevin O'Connor joined Preston though with Greg Cunningham also there and seems to be a fan favourite and one of their better players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement