Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Well, massive soundings re McGeady following Grayson to Sunderland for starters anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Germany win the under 21 euros. We are drawn with them in group 5 of the next qualification group for 2019. Noel king & the boys will be waiting in the long grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Well, massive soundings re McGeady following Grayson to Sunderland for starters anyway

Not a bad signing for Sunderland if it does happen, Preston picked up United youngster Josh Harrop for a compensation fee so don't think they were gonna go all out for McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stephen Ireland released by Stoke along with Charlie Adam

pjohnson wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland released by Stoke along with Charlie Adam

Don't think so. Where did you see that?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Don't think so. Where did you see that?

Sky Sports listed players who become a Free Agent today.

Sky Sports listed players who become a Free Agent today.

He may have done but they renewed him for 6 months I think

Dots1982 wrote: »
    He may have done but they renewed him for 6 months I think

They were meant to. The League confirmed he had been offered a deal anyway. Most of the ones Sky listed were like George Boyd, Paul Robinson, Stuart Taylor - players who had been offered deals but obviously rejected them. Maybe Ireland rejected it?

An article on Telegraph re-stated that both Ireland and Charlie Adam are free agents despite Adam actually having at least 12 months left.

Shenanigans at Stoke :pac:

http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/ireland-signs-short-term-contract

From their own website

Edit: Shay Given has been released though.

They were meant to. The League confirmed he had been offered a deal anyway. Most of the ones Sky listed were like George Boyd, Paul Robinson, Stuart Taylor - players who had been offered deals but obviously rejected them. Maybe Ireland rejected it?

An article on Telegraph re-stated that both Ireland and Charlie Adam are free agents despite Adam actually having at least 12 months left.

Shenanigans at Stoke :pac:

Odd, I think Ireland stayed anyway. It's on Stoke's website.

• Advertisement

Fair dos. Left it late to sign the deal lol. Sky also tried to claim Surman is released by Bournemouth despite 2 years remaining on his deal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

2016/2017
    Stoke City 0(0) 0
    2015/2016
    Stoke City 13(13) 0
    2014/2015
    Stoke City 17(6) 0

Which part of this denotes how much training he was doing?

When he was at City he was doing hill runs during the summer holidays before they even started pre-season, he hardly then just decided a couple of years later that he couldn't be bothered training anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I see Wales have announced that their final qualifier against Ireland will be played at Cardiff City stadium instead of Millennium Stadium.

Hopefully it'll be a dead rubber from their point of view anyway

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I see Wales have announced that their final qualifier against Ireland will be played at Cardiff City stadium instead of Millennium Stadium.

Moreso hope it's a dead rubber for us and we have qualified already!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Laois_Man wrote: »

Always play there in fairness.

Moreso hope it's a dead rubber for us and we have qualified already!!

That would be the dream but when have Ireland ever done anything in style? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

100% we will be going into the Wales game needing a point at least very worried about the double fixture in September but I guess we'll wait and see (and pray). Johnny Walters off to Burnley good move for him thought I heard 3 million somewhere some Irish contingent there now thank god Ronald Koeman isint there Manager !! With Everton bringing in a lot of players surely you'd think James McCarthy is on the way out

100% we will be going into the Wales game needing a point at least very worried about the double fixture in September but I guess we'll wait and see (and pray). Johnny Walters off to Burnley good move for him thought I heard 3 million somewhere some Irish contingent there now thank god Ronald Koeman isint there Manager !! With Everton bringing in a lot of players surely you'd think James McCarthy is on the way out

No it isn't. It is very likely we will be in a situation where we need a draw, maybe even a situation where we need to win, who knows, an almighty f up where we are out already but there is a (realistic on paper) chance we could be qualified come Cardiff.

No it isn't. It is very likely we will be in a situation where we need a draw, maybe even a situation where we need to win, who knows, an almighty f up where we are out already but there is a (realistic on paper) chance we could be qualified come Cardiff.
    On paper yeah but when have we ever done anything the easy way :P hope I'm wrong however !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully Hendrick doesn't get 10 years!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hatrick for Seanie tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hatrick for Seanie tonight

Unfortunately, as seen with Horgan, it doesn't matter how many he scores in Ireland or Europe, you only become good enough for Ireland once you get a U.K. address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

V happy for him given what i read today, Might go some way to explain his form over the last few months.

• Advertisement

Ha!

walters1.jpg

Speaking of Jonathan Walters he'll be playing with Burnley next season after seven seasons at Stoke. Burnley building a nice little Irish contingent with Hendrick, Brady, Ward, Long and now Walters.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Maybe Whelan too according to BBC sport gossip this morning. COYBIC!

Long?? Shane Long was tabloid linked to about 10 clubs, maybe more. Zero evidence there is any strong link to Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

Long?? Shane Long was tabloid linked to about 10 clubs, maybe more. Zero evidence there is any strong link to Burnley

Kevin Long.

• Advertisement

Kevin Long.

Ah, my apologies!!!

Shane Long is a strange one. Stuck in limbo. Maybe Brighton would be a good move and he'd work well in their system

Ah, my apologies!!!

Shane Long is a strange one. Stuck in limbo. Maybe Brighton would be a good move and he'd work well in their system

I'm surprised they didn't go for Walters or that any of the promoted clubs didn't sign him. Long is a strange one, a drop down to the Championship for a season could be a move for him to someone like Sunderland who are rebuilding and have a good championship manager in Grayson.

Ah, my apologies!!!

I really like Shane, he never stops running the whole game and just puts himself about aswell as always chasing the nothing balls. He covers the ground so fast with his pace. The way we play he is ideal to have up top with a target man like Jon or Murphy. Just wish he gave us more of the Germany moments.

Lads anyone know when Serbia game will go on sale ?

If Southampton are about to sign Vietto Long needs to get the f*ck outta there quick. Try to attract Newcastle/Brighton/West Ham attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I adore Shane Longs work rate and think he's a very good player but honestly his goal scoring record isn't that great for a striker.

In his 13 seasons playing in England only 3 times he's scored more than 10 goals (all comps included). For us 17 goals in 73 games isn't the best of return, considering he was touted as Keanes replacement.

I know it depends heavily on players around you creating chances but for as much as we all love Shane Long he has never really been a prolific goal scorer.

A great player for work-rate and giving his all which most managers would love on their team, but if you're looking for a consistent scorer for your team he really isn't the guy.

Like an above poster said think a move to the championship for more regular first team football could suit Long down to a tee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I adore Shane Longs work rate and think he's a very good player but honestly his goal scoring record isn't that great for a striker.

In his 13 seasons playing in England only 3 times he's scored more than 10 goals (all comps included). For us 17 goals in 73 games isn't the best of return, considering he was touted as Keanes replacement.

I know it depends heavily on players around you creating chances but for as much as we all love Shane Long he has never really been a prolific goal scorer.

A great player for work-rate and giving his all which most managers would love on their team, but if you're looking for a consistent scorer for your team he really isn't the guy.

I think 17 in 73 is pretty good for an Ireland striker. He was only Keane's replacement because he was our best option after Robbie, and there was never an expectation that he'd be able to manage a 1 in 2 strike rate.

I think 17 in 73 is pretty good for an Ireland striker. He was only Keane's replacement because he was our best option after Robbie, and there was never an expectation that he'd be able to manage a 1 in 2 strike rate.

Was going to say something similar.
    When you think about it, he's only 4 away from what the Irish goalscoring record was when Robbie Keane broke it. And Long has had a pretty high number of late substitute appearances in those 71 caps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Agree a move would definitely be best for Shane Long, he would do a job for most bottom half PL sides but he will never be a 20 goals a season man, 15 is the absolute best you could hope for him to score even in a team that is playing well and he is the main striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Fai need to tie McEleney down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Fai need to tie McEleney down.

Just need him to move to an English club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Patww79 wrote: »

He's undeclared.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Did he not already officially declare for NI?

No don't think he's officially declared for anyone and is more whoever comes calling first he'll play for. Also think it's more keeping the option to play with Northern Ireland open in case he doesn't make it to a high enough level in England before the Republic even consider him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGeady links up with Grayson again as he signs for Sunderland for £250,000.

He was almost into double figures in both goals and assist for Preston last season.

Good move for all concerned there I think.

Thought McEleney pretty much all but confirmed for the north did he not make himself available to Micheal O Neill? I feel the way things are with mon and loi players we will miss out on him sadly.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    McGeady links up with Grayson again as he signs for Sunderland for £250,000.

He was almost into double figures in both goals and assist for Preston last season.

Good move for all concerned there I think.

That's a good move for McGeady, would have been nice to see him stay with Preston giving the number of Irish players they have but joining back up with Grayson is a good move for him.
    Thought McEleney pretty much all but confirmed for the north did he not make himself available to Micheal O Neill? I feel the way things are with mon and loi players we will miss out on him sadly.

He's made himself available for the North but imo I think it's more leaving the option open in case he doesn't make it with the Republic. I'd be surprised if the North haven't approached him before but he's 25 soon so I'll say he'll jump at the chance if they approach him again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement