Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus, 250k?

A little surpised some of his pyroteknics in the Championship didnt force the fee up to a couple of million in the current climate.

Could Preston really not afford that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus, 250k?

A little surpised some of his pyroteknics in the Championship didnt force the fee up to a couple of million in the current climate.

I guess he decided to follow Grayson. Makes a lot of sense for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Jesus, 250k?

Im sure his wages will make up the difference which would be a turn off for most, also Grayson would be a huge factor.

Im sure his wages will make up the difference which would be a turn off for most, also Grayson would be a huge factor.

Yeah, its more that Everton couldn't have gotten a bigger fee?

(Or perhaps it was a gentleman's agreement - seems paltry in this day and age).

Happy for him - Sunderland fans will like him I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Jesus, 250k?

They signed Man United's Josh Harrop on a free and I'd say compensation would have been more than 250k so they could afford the price but I'd say it's more down to wages and resale value.

McGeady is an established international player so will demand a generous wage and at 31 he's unlikely to be making any big money moves. Harrop is only 21, played one senior game so wages would possibly be only in the four figures and if he performs like he did in his United debut for Preston then Premier League clubs will be throwing stupid money at Preston for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you're going for 250k you must be classed as finished.

Even average players are commanding millions these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

McGeady's move is probably good news for Horgan as it's one less winger in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NIMAN wrote: »

Exactly. Inconsistent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Exactly. Inconsistent too.

Simple business decision really, Everton have freed up 50-60k wages he was on so just wanted him off the books. fee was irrelevant .

Sunderland were more than likely unopposed in the signing as nobody else in the division will pay his wages.

Crazy thing is Sunderland actually had a bid rejected of 9m a couple of years back :eek:

NIMAN wrote: »

Well Everton aren't short of a few bob and probably just wanted shot of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

McGeady isn't finished. He obviously has plenty in him. Everton just wanted him off their books and he was on pretty high wages also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭prodsc

Lads anyone know when Serbia game will go on sale ?

pre sale Monday 17th

general sale Thur 20th 11am

Randolph better pack his bags and look for a way out of WHU with Joe Hart joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Randolph better pack his bags and look for a way out of WHU with Joe Hart joining.

Preston or Burnley could do with an Irish player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Thought Newcastle were interested in him

Sin City wrote: »
    Thought Newcastle were interested in him

What would be the point of him going to Newcastle with Krul and Elliot ahead of him! And even Freddie Woodman will get some cup game time possibly after winning the U20 WC with England if he isn't loaned out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

What would be the point of him going to Newcastle with Krul and Elliot ahead of him! And even Freddie Woodman will get some cup game time possibly after winning the U20 WC with England if he isn't loaned out!

Thought Krul was being sold on

Sin City wrote: »
    Thought Krul was being sold on

Yeah, I guess you could be correct, there is Darlow as well though. I dunno, I think he should just head to the Championship. It is still a very good level, especially for an international keeper looking to play first team with a WC ( god willing) on the horizon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

There would be many lolz if Hart makes a series of errors, ends up losing his place back to Randalph.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think 17 in 73 is pretty good for an Ireland striker. He was only Keane's replacement because he was our best option after Robbie, and there was never an expectation that he'd be able to manage a 1 in 2 strike rate.
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    Was going to say something similar.
    When you think about it, he's only 4 away from what the Irish goalscoring record was when Robbie Keane broke it. And Long has had a pretty high number of late substitute appearances in those 71 caps

Never said it wasn't a pretty good return, said it wasn't a great one considering all the build up around his potential. The like of Kevin Doyle and Jonathan Walters have very similar goal totals in less games, but with Long we all expected, or rather hoped for more.

My point initially was about the talk of him falling out of favour with Southampton, possibly needing a move and his goal-scoring consistency. For as much as we all love Long for his passion and work-rate for our country when it comes down to is he isn't a prolific goal-scorer which I think is one of the reasons his name is being floated about quite that much in transfer speculation as most clubs are looking for out and out scorers to save their team at the moment.

I see him staying at Southampton, he's a worker and can benefit the team a lot by playing alongside the main striker. He may have turned 30 but that's not as old as many seem to think in football, would be nice for him to discover some consistent goal-scoring form.

• Advertisement

There would be many lolz if Hart makes a series of errors, ends up losing his place back to Randalph.

Adrian was ahead of him towards the end of last season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Haven't heard of anyone interested in him which is unfortunate for him. Only realised he is 30 which might turn off a few clubs.

Is there a PL club that would suit him, is he a better keeper than Fabianski for example at Swansea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Adrian was ahead of him towards the end of last season as well.
    Adrian is leaving apparently.
    Anyways, I think they will give Hart a good run in the team, but it would of course be funny if Randalph took his spot.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I honestly don't think Randolph is Premier league standard.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Haven't heard of anyone interested in him which is unfortunate for him. Only realised he is 30 which might turn off a few clubs.

Is there a PL club that would suit him, is he a better keeper than Fabianski for example at Swansea..
    Newcastle are supposed to be interested as they are selling Darlow and Krul

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Never said it wasn't a pretty good return, said it wasn't a great one considering all the build up around his potential. The like of Kevin Doyle and Jonathan Walters have very similar goal totals in less games, but with Long we all expected, or rather hoped for more.

My point initially was about the talk of him falling out of favour with Southampton, possibly needing a move and his goal-scoring consistency. For as much as we all love Long for his passion and work-rate for our country when it comes down to is he isn't a prolific goal-scorer which I think is one of the reasons his name is being floated about quite that much in transfer speculation as most clubs are looking for out and out scorers to save their team at the moment.

I see him staying at Southampton, he's a worker and can benefit the team a lot by playing alongside the main striker. He may have turned 30 but that's not as old as many seem to think in football, would be nice for him to discover some consistent goal-scoring form.

Did we though? I don't know about everyone else but I only ever rated Long as a top championship striker/average premiership striker and I always felt that Walters was the better player of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fabianski is a much better keeper than Randolph IMO. Randolph has never faltered significantly in an Ireland jersey but he was shaky for West Ham last season. Plenty of strikers rediscovered their scoring touch against a pretty poor West Ham backline in the latter half of the season and he was part of the reason.
    Newcastle are supposed to be interested as they are selling Darlow and Krul

Newcaslte wouldn't make much sense to me, tbh. Even if Krul and Darlow go, they still have Rob Elliot and Freddie Woodman, with the latter very highly rated by Benitez. They also moved for Caballero and (apparently) Reina this summer, but look to have missed out on both.

They're clearly in the market for a GK but is Randolph actually much better than the players they're replacing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He's (Randolph) going to Middlesbrough.

He's (Randolph) going to Middlesbrough.

Should be a good move for him. Boro should be up in around the play off places, he should be first choice unless they bring in another keeper and Cyrus Christie has joined them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Should be a good move for him. Boro should be up in around the play off places, he should be first choice unless they bring in another keeper and Cyrus Christie has joined them as well.

Boro were looking at Westwood before they turned attention to Randolph. Sheffield Weds told them no chance.

Boro were looking at Westwood before they turned attention to Randolph. Sheffield Weds told them no chance.

Should be interesting this season if Randolph signs for Boro you'll have both himself and Westwood playing for teams who'd be battling it for promotion. Could make the battle for Ireland no.1 a little interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Always thought Westwood was the better keeper but can't fault Randolph when he has played for us.
    Westwood has been very consistent for Wednesday since the move.

Glenn Whelan signs for Aston Villa on a two year deal.

Fair play to him. Has had a very good career but isn't afraid to drop down the levela at the right time. He was getting plenty of game time last season, starter majority of season but I think this is the right time to drop down to make sure he is getting enough games heading into (please god) a world cup year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

****ing hell. You are literally Joe Barstool.

• Advertisement

****ing hell. You are literally Joe Barstool.

what????

Randolph off to Boro. Number 1 for a team that should be one of, if not the favourites for promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Randolph off to Boro. Number 1 for a team that should be one of, if not the favourites for promotion.

Him and Westwood now competing in Championship. Going to be interesting who wrestles the No1 shirt for Ireland. My money is on Westwood however, brilliant last season and really rate him.

If Elliot can make the position his at Newcastle though you imagine he will be penned on to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Him and Westwood now competing in Championship. Going to be interesting who wrestles the No1 shirt for Ireland. My money is on Westwood however, brilliant last season and really rate him.

If Elliot can make the position his at Newcastle though you imagine he will be penned on to start.

Randolph will have to seriously feck up to lose his spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Probably wrong place now, but not sure where it belongs really!
    Seanie Maguire came off the bench this evening with 30 mins left for Preston v Burnley & already scored a decent goal.

https://youtu.be/rX6YrMu0TT4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Stevecw wrote: »
    Seanie Maguire came off the bench this evening with 30 mins left for Preston v Burnley & already scored a decent goal.

Delighted for Seanie. He'll be a great success.
    We didn't give him enough opportunities here at Dundalk FC.

Must have been over a dozen Irish players between the 2 two teams' squads in the dressing rooms tonight!

EDIT: Just checked..... a doen exactly and I know Preston have more on their books also!

http://www.flashscore.com/match/tQSxaNjM/#lineups;1

OH, and all the goalscorers were Irish also! Maguire for PNE and Walters and Kevin Long for Burnley!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Call him up Martin......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

blinding wrote: »
    Call him up Martin......
    Ha, hopefully Martin or Roy were at that this evening. I think i read earlier there was 12 Irish players involved! Sadly that's the level we are at right now to put a squad together.

blinding wrote: »
    Call him up Martin......

Well he's already travelled over on the magic plane so he's good to go.

Ha, hopefully Martin or Roy were at that this evening. I think i read earlier there was 12 Irish players involved! Sadly that's the level we are at right now to put a squad together.

Championship is a great level.
    Better than

SPL, All Scandinavian Top Flights, Belgium Pro League, Austrian Bundeslig, Swiss Super League, Danish Top Flight

Possibly Better but at least equal to

Portuguese top league, Dutch Eredivise,

Only leagues that are better are
    EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Lique 1 and possibly Turkish and Russian top flights???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

The Portuguese league is of a higher quality than the championship. The majority of the teams anyway. No championship team would get near the top of the league in Portugal.

justshane wrote: »
    The Portuguese league is of a higher quality than the championship. The majority of the teams anyway. No championship team would get near the top of the league in Portugal.

Outside of Benfica, Porto and sporting which are above championship but the rest are in and around I'd imagine. The championship has a serious amount of money on offer which mid table and below in Portugal will struggle to match.

But i did say in my original post that Portuguese liga is possible level to championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Championship is a great level.
    Better than

SPL, All Scandinavian Top Flights, Belgium Pro League, Austrian Bundeslig, Swiss Super League, Danish Top Flight

Possibly Better but at least equal to

Portuguese top league, Dutch Eredivise,

Only leagues that are better are
    EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Lique 1 and possibly Turkish and Russian top flights???

Burnley are in the premiership anyway. The championship is not better than the portuguese or dutch leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Outside of Benfica, Porto and sporting which are above championship but the rest are in and around I'd imagine. The championship has a serious amount of money on offer which mid table and below in Portugal will struggle to match.

But i did say in my original post that Portuguese liga is possible level to championship
    Braga have been to a Europa league final and champions league group stages in recent years. Pacos broke into the top three a few seasons back too.

You're overstating the importance of English football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement