Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Don't let the fact that the money in the Championship has gone mental (almost solely as a result of trickle down from the Premier League) fool you into thinking that this means the Championship is better than the likes of the Portuguese league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Burnley are in the premiership anyway. The championship is not better than the portuguese or dutch leagues.

Think he was referring to Preston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Think he was referring to Preston

Why would you think that? There was two teams playing and both scorers for the Premier league team were Irish.

Why would you think that? There was two teams playing and both scorers for the Premier league team were Irish.

Because Preston are a Championship team. Just read the context of the post. There were 12 players playing, most of them Championship, he obviously was referring to the 2 clubs when he cited the dozen players between them but when referencing the Championship, he was specifically referencing PNE's Irish contingent.

I dunno, I can't answer for him but thats how I read iy!

Who cares anyway, just pedantics!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Who cares anyway, just pedantics!! :D
    Semantics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,948 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

just under 5 weeks too go til the next set of qualifers, Geogia away on the 2nd Sep and Then Serbia at home on the 5th Sep

I have a bad feeling we wont get 3 pts from Georgia, we have been lucky in the past over there and luck has too change for Georgia some day.

Semantics

Nope, pedantic, I am just referring to my over scrupulous assessment of the post!

(ps, I know their is know such word as "pedantic(s), it is a social media thread, not a linguistic lesson! )

But, please, let us not go down this route!!

On that note, did we ever hear anything about whether McClean (or MON) have gotten a match ban from the authorities? (for criticisng the ref from the Austria game)
    If so, then it would make the task even harder.

On that note, did we ever hear anything about whether McClean (or MON) have gotten a match ban from the authorities? (for criticisng the ref from the Austria game)
    If so, then it would make the task even harder.

It is still being assessed, and coincidentally they actually met last week (FIFA) to discuss it with a resolution expected over next week or so but MON seems confident enough they will escape with merely a slap on the wrist.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/martin-oneill-hoping-to-escape-fifa-censure-over-referee-criticism-799000.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

I can still see us getting a win in Tbilisi but it won't be good for the heart. Anyone reckon will Maguire get called in for the double game week ? Surely now he's capable of warming Kevin Doyle's seat at the very least.

He's (Randolph) going to Middlesbrough.
    I like to see this kind of talk from Randalph about the World Cup:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]Randolph[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif] [/font]joined Boro for £5m[font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]and is likely to be first-choice goalkeeper at the Championship club.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]"I wasn't going to hang around and warm the bench," Randolph told BBC Tees.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]"It's a World Cup year, the Republic of Ireland have a good position in the group and if I have any kind of dreams to play in the World Cup then I need to be playing games."[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]Randolph made 22 appearances at West Ham last season while sharing duties with Spanish goalkeeper Adrian, but made himself a prominent fixture in Martin O'Neill's plans for the Republic with nine international outings.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]"It wouldn't have happened so often if I stayed at West Ham as it was made clear, so I wasn't going to just sit on the bench and take up a place and possibly miss out on chance to playing at a World Cup," he added.[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I can still see us getting a win in Tbilisi but it won't be good for the heart. Anyone reckon will Maguire get called in for the double game week ? Surely now he's capable of warming Kevin Doyle's seat at the very least.

Called in to train with the squad maybe but don't think he'll make his Ireland debut until our next friendly unless he continues his goal scoring form at Preston then it would be hard to ignore him.

Personally I'd have him in the squad and would have had him in the squad in March and June for the friendlies. We haven't got much choices when it comes to the striker department and what is there are either gone 30 or will be 30 this season. Graham Burke is another young lad whose playing well at the moment and could be back playing in England by next summer imo, has experience of playing with the underage teams and would be nice to see him up training with the squad along with a couple of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MON and McClean not going to be punished for their comments after Austria game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

They were lucky to get away with a reprimand but great news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

They were lucky to get away with a reprimand but great news.
    Loose Lips can sink Ships.......Lucky .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Goal for Horgan today can see him having a great year with PNE this coming season and getting a lot more game time with McGeady out the door.

So Serbia now have a 40 million pound footballer in Matic!
    It'll be a big challenge in September.
    I think Matic missed the return game in Belgrade, but a big challenge for Whelo and the boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New kit from NB.

original?width=500&version=3525509

On sale from the 10th.

Looks alright, not a fan of the collar though and that keepers jersey is rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

New kit from NB.

On sale from the 10th.

Hendricks and O Dowda look really computer generated

• Advertisement

Was hoping for a decent jersey with NB starting off but that's poor imo.
    Hopefully away jersey gets some work put into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

New kit from NB.

On sale from the 10th.

Not a huge fan of the new jersey at all, don't mind the New Balance gear but not one of the best.

On a side note and no disrespect to O'Dowda, but anyone find it a bit weird why someone like Brady, Long or Arter didn't get the nod in front of O'Dowda?

I always found the new kit images featured the 'best' or most 'marketable' players for that team, just curious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't like the look of those jerseys. The players don't look particularly thrilled to be wearing them either. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And Ireland is still the only country in Europe that won't sell a jersey that's not covered in an ugly corporate logo.

And Ireland is still the only country in Europe that won't sell a jersey that's not covered in an ugly corporate logo.

Yup it's a joke but they would probably find it hard to get a decent deal now if the jersey didn't have the sponsor.
    FAI took the money back in the 90s and I think we stuck with it now.
    YBIG have a new jersey and it's very nice looking,not sure if they have started selling them yet but will be soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

It's no wonder people are buying the fakes without the logo from Shoot.

Looks like Robbie is off to India.
    Can't say I saw that move coming, but another exciting adventure for him I guess.

[font=Georgia, serif]Republic of Ireland's record goalscorer Robbie Keane will be playing his trade in the Indian Super League next season.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, serif]The 37-year-old, who has been without a club since he left LA Galaxy last year, will join Atletico de Kolkata (ATK) in a deal expected to be announced today.[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Looks like Robbie is off to India.
    Can't say I saw that move coming, but another exciting adventure for him I guess.

[font=Georgia, serif]Republic of Ireland's record goalscorer Robbie Keane will be playing his trade in the Indian Super League next season.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, serif]The 37-year-old, who has been without a club since he left LA Galaxy last year, will join Atletico de Kolkata (ATK) in a deal expected to be announced today.[/font]

Isn't it only a 12 game season out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Isn't it only a 12 game season out there?

Yeah something like that, it's pretty much an exhibition league, it's standalone too so not linked with the Indian football league

• Advertisement

Must be a decent wedge of cash out of that.Im sure he could get a year contract elsewhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

yabadabado wrote: »
    Must be a decent wedge of cash out of that.Im sure he could get a year contract elsewhere.

H'es been looking for a club for some time now. I can only imagine he has accepted the Indian Super League because can't find himself a club at a decent level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd say it's money as well.

Seems certain there was at least one championship offer maybe he didn't fancy it.

Hardly matters anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Sean Maguire starting for Preston vs Sheffield Wed. today.

Hope it goes well🀞

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Sean Maguire starting for Preston vs Sheffield Wed. today.

Hope it goes well76;€ž

Up against Westwood! Horan on bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGeady was good for Sunderland last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

McGeady looking quality tonight against Bury
    Good to see him in form
    His loan to Preston has done him the world of good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Hes a good option off the bench but he shouldnt be starting games for Ireland anymore...

Trond wrote: »
    Hes a good option off the bench but he shouldnt be starting games for Ireland anymore...

I don't think he should even be in the squad. He had his chance, he never took it, time to bring in younger players and get rid of the deadwood.

• Advertisement

Who do you think is a better squad option that McGeady?
    I'm not his biggest fan but I see nothing wrong with him in the squad when he is playing well for Preston/Sunderland.

I don't think he should even be in the squad. He had his chance, he never took it, time to bring in younger players and get rid of the deadwood.

I agree with weldoninhio in a way, while he does well at club level at the moment he struggles whenever he plays for the national team but then at the same time we aren't overflowing with talented wingers coming through the ranks so he's a handy option to have.

McGeady........deadwood! ????

Come on!!

And since when has "he never took his chance"?

Who do you think is a better squad option that McGeady?
    I'm not his biggest fan but I see nothing wrong with him in the squad when he is playing well for Preston/Sunderland.

Horgan and Hayes are both better options at the moment. Its not like we play 4-4-2 with natural wingers.

McGeady........deadwood! ????

Come on!!

And since when has "he never took his chance"?

90 caps. 5 goals. Against the world superpowers, Macedonia, Andorra, Latvia, Georgia.

Horgan and Hayes are both better options at the moment. Its not like we play 4-4-2 with natural wingers.

Horgan can't get a game at club level. McGeady was far more impressive than Horgan last season. And has been in very good form with Sunderland so far

• Advertisement

Both of them will most likely be in the squads as well.
    McGeady had a better season than both of them last year imo .
    Really interesting to see how Horgan does this season .
    Will Hayes be a regular starter for Celtic ?

Hopefully a few lads make the step up at their clubs this year,we need fresh blood in several positions .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Horgan can't get a game at club level. McGeady was far more impressive than Horgan last season. And has been in very good form with Sunderland so far
    2 games into the season. 1 he was on the bench and the other he started. Bit early to be saying that :D:D

Both of them will most likely be in the squads as well.
    McGeady had a better season than both of them last year imo .
    Really interesting to see how Horgan does this season .
    Will Hayes be a regular starter for Celtic ?

Hopefully a few lads make the step up at their clubs this year,we need fresh blood in several positions .

There is also O'Dowda, Scannell (who i'd like to see get a chance) on top of the fact that Walters normally plays wide. So no need for McGeady. International football doesn't suit him.

McGeady was head and shoulders above Horgan at club level playing out on the left cutting back into the centre, my biggest gripe with MON is he plays him on the right and wants him to beat men on the outside and get crosses into the box.

Plus he will be 32 by the time of the WC next summer and will be 34 by Euro 2020 so should be time to start looking at replacing him sooner rather than later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

So get rid of a more talented player to bring in a younger one
    Only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement