Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

McGeady........deadwood! ????

90 caps. 5 goals. Against the world superpowers, Macedonia, Andorra, Latvia, Georgia.

Having somebody who can score v Georgia might not be a bad thing in the next match. It's not Brazil we're playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Horgan can't get a game at club level. McGeady was far more impressive than Horgan last season. And has been in very good form with Sunderland so far

A heeeoorrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sugarman wrote: »
    And record assists holder for ireland, despite not having any end product or able to beat his first man as most like to point out.

Any link for this record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

And record assists holder for ireland, despite not having any end product or able to beat his first man as most like to point out.

I've never seen a "record assists" holder for any form of football, except maybe a tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

A quick search and that stat relates to assists in the "Trap era" in which AM got 10 and Duff (in second) got 5.

Cant remembered where exactly I came across the article, but if you look at any of the top statistic sites like whoscored or transfermarkt etc.. you'll see hes the only one in double digits anyway.

Duff in comparison only has 5 to his name in 100.

Wes Hoolahan is in double digits, 10 assists in 39 games.

Most assists for their club or country then, whatever the **** you want to call it.

No, overall.

I'm pretty sure it would be pretty sourceable on Google then.

This is all I found.

http://www.the42.ie/aiden-mcgeady-key-to-martin-oneills-success-1100295-Jan2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Ward on target with a stunner for Burnley vs Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Brady free kick unlucky to hit the post too, Walters was impressive too I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Christie and Randolph both playing well for boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Goal (screamer) and an assist for McGeady today in Sunderland's 3-1 win away at Norwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cant remembered where exactly I came across the article, but if you look at any of the top statistic sites like whoscored or transfermarkt etc.. you'll see hes the only one in double digits anyway.

Duff in comparison only has 5 to his name in 100.

Id be shocked at that.

I can almost name five duff assists off the top of my head.

For Keane away at cyprus

For Keane in Paris

For Keane against Georgia at home (corner)

For keane against Cyprus at home.

Edit: and I believe he crossed for Kilbane in that 1-1 draw with the Czechs under Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

noodler wrote: »
    Id be shocked at that.

For Keane away at cyprus

For Keane in Paris

Edit: and I believe he crossed for Kildale in that 1-1 draw with the Czechs under Stan.

Crossed to McAteer for that famous goal v Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

fullstop wrote: »
    Crossed to McAteer for that famous goal v Holland.

No he didn't. Finnan did.

PhilipsR wrote: »

Yup.

Famous bad foot cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Yup.

Famous bad foot cross.

Can literally close my eyes and still see that whole move from when Keane gets on the ball. Magical.

Oh he did and all, Duff played it to finnan was it?

Can literally close my eyes and still see that whole move from when Keane gets on the ball. Magical.

Aye from harte, Keane slowing things down and getting upended before laying it off too.

Had the qualification dvd, watched it to bits.

• Advertisement

Id be shocked at that.

For Keane away at cyprus

For Keane in Paris

Edit: and I believe he crossed for Kilbane in that 1-1 draw with the Czechs under Stan.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/damien-duff/nationalmannschaft/spieler/3259

This website is usually very good for stats regarding club games but it seems to not count the total number of caps players have as they have Duff at 6 goals and 5 assists in 83 games.

Duff is an Irish legend, and those stats don't in anyway represent his impact during his career but, lets call a spade a spade, that is not great return is it for a player of his calibre in that position, especially in international football when you are playing against some very poor teams.

I wouldn't read a lot into it, don't get me wrong, but you really would have thought that figure would be higher if someone mentioned it in passing!!

Also there is may situations when you are ultimately the one responsible for making a goal without getting that penultimate touch

3 competitive goals and all before he turned 25. Just seems unbelievable on the face of it!

Duff is an Irish legend, and those stats don't in anyway represent his impact during his career but, lets call a spade a spade, that is not great return is it for a player of his calibre in that position, especially in international football when you are playing against some very poor teams.

I wouldn't read a lot into it, don't get me wrong, but you really would have thought that figure would be higher if someone mentioned it in passing!!

Also there is may situations when you are ultimately the one responsible for making a goal without getting that penultimate touch

The assists figure seems wrong anyway.

And as you say, plenty of goals he would have created which wouldn't be counted in the fantasy football definition of an assist.

He was outstanding for Ireland.

The amount of work he did when we were on the back foot, tracking back and winning free kicks was incredible.

Yeah they are wrong. Couple of dead cert assists no being counted there at a glance.

I'd enjoy compiling a real list if I can find the footage.

Really wish McGeady had never gone to Everton. Lost out on a lot of football. Good to see him the last 12 months back enjoying football. His calmness when he received that layoff was top notch

https://twitter.com/sunderlandred/status/896732839537934337

Id be shocked at that.

For Keane away at cyprus

For Keane in Paris

Of the five you named three are listed on the website that are Cyprus away, France and the Czechs. The other two they show are Slovakia and Armenia, someone else posted an article which was done when MON got the job also referencing that Duff had five assists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Away kit revealed.

4kMYTm6.png

The away jersey is actually nice, much better than the home jerseys. Pity about the logo having to be there.

Of the five you named three are listed on the website that are Cyprus away, France and the Czechs. The other two they show are Slovakia and Armenia, someone else posted an article which was done when MON got the job also referencing that Duff had five assists.

Uh huh so they have missed some, as I said.

An Irish article could just have done what we did and check that website and take it as gospel. I wouldn't necessarily believe any independent research was done.

Edit: case in point. Cyprus in September 09, I specifically remember duff crossing on his left from the right for Keane's late headed winner. But not listed.

https://youtu.be/n8VuJEcDhTM

Maguire gets call up for the (provisional) Irish squad for Georgia game.

This rule that he needed to be across the Irish Sea before a call up needs to be addressed going forward now. You just don't know what he could have done as a late sub against Austria, given our options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

• Advertisement

That magic plane and handful of games he's played for Preston have done him wonders, has gone from not good enough to good enough in less than a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Indeed. I can understand how there's a concern whether LOI form can translate to international level.

but they seem reluctant to give LOI players a chance in squad training or in friendly matches.

I mean I can understand the logic of the necessity of assessing LOI players on a higher level before jumping on a bandwagon of hype created by performances in LOI. But anyone could tell that Maguire deserved a call up to a squad crying out for an all out striker.

Surely O Neill with all his decades of experience could acknowledge that and abandon this reluctancy/rule he has received LOI players.

I wasn't getting as massively carried away as others were with Horgan, as good as he can potentially is with a very natural footballing ability and we have enough cover in the midfield at the minute so he's not going to start for a while but we were crying out for a player like Maguire. The state of that Austrian central defence, he could have easily caused serious problems

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

That magic plane and handful of games he's played for Preston have done him wonders, has gone from not good enough to good enough in less than a month.

Yep. I can't stand this snobbery against LOI players.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

It's only a provisional list so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the final cut

It's only a provisional list so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the final cut

Barring injuries I don't think he'll make. Walters, long and Murphy would be the three picked for up too imo.

Edit: Also good to see Greg Cunningham get into the squad, has been in top form for quite awhile and Liam Kelly who scored for Reading at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Was it mentioned that some lad called Rice came on in midfield yesterday for West Ham? Only 18 years of age, looked fairly composed from what I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Does anyone else think O'Neill should be called up on this by the media? Not much more than a month ago he said Maguire didn;t have enough international experience to be considered yet half a game with PNE is now enough

cms88 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think O'Neill should be called up on this by the media? Not much more than a month ago he said Maguire didn;t have enough international experience to be considered yet half a game with PNE is now enough

He isn't going to see any gametime so doubt anyone will waste too much time on it.

Rogers was in several squads and made the bench on 2 occasions, Horgan and Boyle too were still Dundalk players when they were called up too.

Im a big LOI fan, but hes right that players need to be tested at a higher level first.. Horgan and Boyle done that in the Europa league.

But when we're crying out for a young striker, no, any striker putting them away week in/out.. He should be looked at in the training squads at the least. June was the real chance to call him in, maybe give him a few minutes in the friendly.

Rogers call up was a token call up if I ever saw one. Wasn't even the best keeper in the league imo but was only picked as Dundalk was doing so well so MON could say hey look we picked a loi player even though he'd never have gotten a game even with injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Scott Hogan has declared for us.

That's good news if true, gives Ireland two good young strikers aged 25 and 23 I think Maguire is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Clayton Rough Sportsman

yabadabado wrote: »
    good we need all the strikers we can get

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/fai-passport-scramble-aston-villa-10988210

Found a lineage, all he needs is a passport, FAI "scrambling"for him to get into the panel for the next games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,948 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This guy has been hyped up a bit and hopefully it's true and he is a future star for us

We will take any strikers we can get, I'd like that Patrick Bamford guy too play for us too

Hogan has scored, what, twice since joining Villa in a big money move? Wouldn't be pinning any hopes on him.

fullstop wrote: »
    Hogan has scored, what, twice since joining Villa in a big money move? Wouldn't be pinning any hopes on him.

played about 5 times though.....

played about 5 times though.....

Played 13 times for Villa last season but picked up an injury after his first couple of games and then only played a bit part for majority of the remaining games.

His record at Brentford was 21 in 33 games so he knows where the net, hopefully he can stay injury free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

yabadabado wrote: »

Should be told thanks, but no thanks. Strung us along when he thought England might come calling, wants a game now because he's not as good as he thought he was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Should be told thanks, but no thanks. Strung us along when he thought England might come calling, wants a game now because he's not as good as he thought he was.
    Hogan can piss off, this isnt club football... I dont care how many goals he scores.

Should keep picking Doyle instead is it :rolleyes:
    He also never turned down Ireland, he had just recovered from injury

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement