Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

yabadabado wrote: »
    Scott Hogan has declared for us.

Should be told thanks, but no thanks. Strung us along when he thought England might come calling, wants a game now because he's not as good as he thought he was.

Has he actually said he wants to play for England and that's why he didn't commit sooner?

When exactly was it do you think he was expecting the England call-up? When he was scoring goals for Brentford? Or when he made the big move to Championship club Aston Villa at almost 25 years of age? He must have some imagination if that's the case.

On current form, he would be lucky to make the Ireland squad anyway.

Poor fellow, had dreams of the Premier League and an England call up, has had to settle for Villa and picking up the phone to Martin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Of course he would have preferred England, the place of his birth, a far better team, the opportunity to play with likes of Alli and Kane. But if you're still in Championship at 25 it's time to get realistic and lower your standards. Good decision because it may aid him getting a premiership move if he impresses on international stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Cue a will he won't he debate going on until the moment he actually plays a part of a competitive match.
    Of course it is welcome if true, we are very stuck for strikers at the moment.

He could also be a help in convincing club mate and fellow Englishman Grealish to u-turn his decision. I'd welcome the pair all day long.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/fai-passport-scramble-aston-villa-10988210

Found a lineage, all he needs is a passport, FAI "scrambling"for him to get into the panel for the next games
    I actually thought that your actual passport wasn't relevant.
    All he would need is to show his grandparants were born here, so a birth cert or something ?
    Going off on a tangent here, but was just wondering

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I wouldn't judge him on his time at Villa so far, but it is a positive that he is fit there atm and hopefully looking to put his injuries behind him. He joined a very disjointed side and looks like one of the only players who cares / really tries when Villa have played recently.

He has an eye for goal and if he has decided to declare himself as Irish im not only willing the say thats fine but im happy to have him. He may have wanted to get back to playing regularily before thinking about the international question but if he is in the next Ireland squad, a squad that needs to find a goalscorer, I would immediately consider him as likely to score when on the pitch as any other player we have. As much as I like Shane Long & Walters neither are the most prolific and after them there is a big step down imo. Especially with how Walters is often deployed from midfield backup for Long (Hogan) at the very least is hugely important and would improve the squad as a whole imo.

Nice player to be able to bring off the bench if we need a goal for automatic qualification for instance as apposed to relying on the aging Murphy or Doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Will be interesting to see Maguire's performances for Preston over the next couple of weeks (if he gets a game).

I'd say he's ripe to be cut from the provisional squad, barring injuries or a couple of Preston goals. Hogan's inevitable arrival has knocked him down the pecking order too.

Surely Maguire is more in-form than Hogan anyways ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Has he actually said he wants to play for England and that's why he didn't commit sooner?

When exactly was it do you think he was expecting the England call-up? When he was scoring goals for Brentford? Or when he made the big move to Championship club Aston Villa at almost 25 years of age? He must have some imagination if that's the case.

On current form, he would be lucky to make the Ireland squad anyway.

Any striker banging in goals in the championship has their eyes on the EPL to be fair.

I think it's fairly obvious he was hoping for that and a shot in an England squad tbh.

I don't know how I feel about him. Keeping his options open.

If he puts in half the shift someone like walters does then I'm sure he'll be accepted very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Surely Maguire is more in-form than Hogan anyways ?

arguably yes but its more Villa have been poor than Hogan and Hogan has at least proven in the championship that when on the form he can deliver. He finished his last full season (Brentford) before joining Villa with 7 goals in 7 games and then got 13 goals in 18 games before his January move that season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

To be fair to Hogan he never came out and said he wanted to play for either but that he wanted to focus on his club career after a few bad injuries and impending transfer. All of which is fair enough imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I agree with the Dr. in that during his two and half year spell at Brentford was an injury nightmare that the last thing he needed was the pressures of international football hanging over him when he's barely played any club football at the time.

Going by some tweets it was a done deal more or less for some time but wasn t announced until now that Hogan had declared for Ireland and seeing as he was called up to the 21s just over three years ago I'm surprised they have to try and rush through it now to get him cleared in time for the next round of games.

I'm aware of Hogan's goal scoring prowess, but is anyone aware of his specific strengths? Pacey? Just a fox in the box? Or is he a Jon Walters type (with more goals)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Poor fellow, had dreams of the Premier League and an England call up, has had to settle for Villa and picking up the phone to Martin...

Noi offence but this is a rather silly post to put it mildly.

The guy has been up front the whole time and everything that has happened the last year and a half with him makes perfect logic

To be fair to Hogan he never came out and said he wanted to play for either but that he wanted to focus on his club career after a few bad injuries and impending transfer. All of which is fair enough imo

This. He has been completely up front the whole time. People on forums like these putting words in his mouth and trying to read his mind.

He had a disastrous couple of years with injury so focusing on his PROFESSIONAL SALARY CAREER made perfect sense to me.

People delighted when Houghton turned down Ireland hoping for Scottish call up and then settled with second choice as he merely wanted to play international football at the time.

He has came out and admitted he still supports Scotland over Ireland

Slight hypocrisy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I'm aware of Hogan's goal scoring prowess, but is anyone aware of his specific strengths? Pacey? Just a fox in the box? Or is he a Jon Walters type (with more goals)?

I've seen him play a handful of times. I'm no expert but he struck me as a good player.

He's two footed, which is nice. Decently quick. Not Shane Long quick but quicker than all our other options. Good in the air too. To be honest I see him more of a poacher to get on the end of things. He isn't going to pick the ball up deep and dribble through a defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

What is the deal with Doyle?? he is passed it, is it out of Loyalty because he shows up when called upon no matter what the game? Loyalty should not come into International Football!!!!

Glad to see Hogan made the decision, I don't get the arguments, he always stated he was concentrating on club football and would make a decision eventually!

As for Maguire, I don't believe he is only in the squad due to being at Preston, the timing of these fixtures don't help. I honestly believe if he was still a Cork City player until end of the season he would be in this Provisional squad. I don't believe he will be picked unless he really delivers in training as O'Neill will go with the safer experienced option for the full squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Finally the ROI is getting younger strikers to replace the old guard.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Noi offence but this is a rather silly post to put it mildly.

The guy has been up front the whole time and everything that has happened the last year and a half with him makes perfect logic

I think the whole "oh he was injury prone or sorting out his club career so that meant he didn't know if he was Irish" is a bit silly.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think the whole "oh he was injury prone or sorting out his club career so that meant he didn't know if he was Irish" is a bit silly.

100%. What was stopping him from saying "Yes, I want to play for Ireland, but i'm working my way back from injury and don't want to be selected until i'm uninjured".

There should be no "asking" players either. They should be selected, if they turn down the call up, then that's their choice and shouldn't be selected again.

100%. What was stopping him from saying "Yes, I want to play for Ireland, but i'm working my way back from injury and don't want to be selected until i'm uninjured".

There should be no "asking" players either. They should be selected, if they turn down the call up, then that's their choice and shouldn't be selected again.

What's to say he didn't tell MON he wants to play for Ireland but keep the decision on the low until the end of season to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

In this case he obviously had a lot to think about which country to pick. He was probably hoping for an English call-up and thats understandable since he is English.

I do think in this case he was better focussing on getting fit and getting back playing without the distraction of the hassle that goes with choosing which country to represent. Look at the hassle Grealish went through and you can see why Hogan would want to avoid it while recuperating.

In this case he obviously had a lot to think about which country to pick. He was probably hoping for an English call-up and thats understandable since he is English.

I do think in this case he was better focussing on getting fit and getting back playing without the distraction of the hassle that goes with choosing which country to represent. Look at the hassle Grealish went through and you can see why Hogan would want to avoid it while recuperating.

If Hogan thought he had any chance of an England call up he was crazy imo. This time last year he had played 8 games in two seasons, just the English media hyping up potential players trying to predict the next Jamie Vardy.

What hassle did Grealish get? I doubt the guy was camped on Irish football forums, reading the very legitimate "would he ever make up his mind" posts.

What hassle did Grealish get? I doubt the guy was camped on Irish football forums, reading the very legitimate "would he ever make up his mind" posts.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/jack-grealish-89971

A case of people wanting to spout faux outrage and morals based on flippant mind reading theories.

As I said Ray Houghton. I'd like to think the same posters bemoan his eventual declaration or maybe, like most, they acknowledge what he achieved for us. The same I'd say for a few more of our successful "imports"

sugarman wrote: »
    For all those making excuses for Hogan, heres a direct quote from him on being asked to play for Ireland on the cusp of Euro 2016.

"I'm eligible to play for them but I'm a Brentford player and the last thing I'm thinking of is who I'm going to represent internationally. It's getting ahead of myself a bit too much."

:rolleyes:

As I said, this isnt club football. You're either on board or youre not. You can cite your Houghtons, Aldridges etc.. but they at least jumped at the chance.

That just seems he didnt think he was ready for international football and wanted to get back playing to a higher level first.

I know we will all probably disagree on this but for me, it says a lot more about him that he didnt jump on the chance of joining Ireland for the Euros and instead got back to a decent level before declaring for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

For all those making excuses for Hogan, heres a direct quote from him on being asked to play for Ireland on the cusp of Euro 2016.

As I said, this isnt club football. You're either on board or youre not. You can cite your Houghtons, Aldridges etc.. but they at least jumped at the chance.

Its clear he was keeping his options open. I don't mind too much.

Just find it a little naive that some folk reckon we were his only international consideration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I love the way you spout facts like he didnt want to play for Ireland without any facts stating this is the case :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The injuries were a good excuse for him to see where the land lay in relation to an England call up. He was banging the goals in for Brentford and there was talk of a move to the PL. I don't begrudge him that at all.

Still doesn't change my opinion that he was hoping England would come along though. We might as well take him anyways, he's better than Doyle.

None of our striking options are good enough, and haven't been for some time. We've been punching for a while with this group which is testament to the passion most players have for the jersey.

Like who was the last Irish player to score more than 10 goals in the premiership in a season. Robbie in 07/08?

Most recent I can think of is Shane Long 2015/6.
    You're right though, we haven't had a clinical goalscorer who could get 20-30 goals a season for a while

You're right though, we haven't had a clinical goalscorer who could get 20-30 goals a season for a while

Long didn't. Forget 20-30 we don't have someone who can get 11-20 in a top league.

• Advertisement

Who the **** turns down a chance to work your way into a squad for a major finals if youre interested in declaring? Seriously?

And the bit in bold, thats exactly my problem. He had a great season first half of the season at Brentford until he moved to Villa.. then had a mediocre remainder where hes picked off where he left this season.

i.e He thought he had a half a chance with England and now hes back cap in hand having thought it over.

If he had taken that chance you would have people complaining that he only joined us as we were about to qualify for the Euros and he was taking somone more deservings place in the squad.

Also, a few players have retired to prolong their club career. Hogan was seriously struggling with injuries so perhaps he wanted to give himself the best possible chance to have a career. Maybe he felt not playing international football was the best for his career.

I'm not saying thats what he did but i could understand if he just wanted to get playing consistently before deciding on international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The fella is born and bred English. I'm sure he grew up dreaming of playing for England. Why would he decide, after making it into professional football, that he wanted to play for Ireland exclusively? People seem offended that he wasn't solely considering us.

Maybe it did take him a bit of time to cop on that he wouldn't get into the England team but if he scores goals for Ireland, I really couldn't give a toss.

Townsend, Aldridge, Houghton and most of the non Irish born harboured dreams of lining out for their country.

All I care about is their 100% commitment once they pull on the green jersey. And if they're not, then they won't get their game. "Couldn't even get their game for Ireland, never mind England" they'll cry!

If Hogan starts banging the goals in, all this bluster dissolves to nothing. He's the new hero. You all know it.

Rekop dog wrote: »

Long didn't. Forget 20-30 we don't have someone who can get 11-20 in a top league.
    http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=41355&season_id=145
    I was going by that link, which said he scored 17, with 11 in the league.
    It lists the goals so you can see if you agree with it or not.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=41355&season_id=145
    I was going by that link, which said he scored 17, with 11 in the league.
    It lists the goals so you can see if you agree with it or not.

Most official sites have it as 10 that season, but we're splitting hairs, I think we both agree with general point.

• Advertisement

Eh........ what there contradicts what anyone "defending" him has said??

noodler wrote: »
    Its clear he was keeping his options open. I don't mind too much.

Just find it a little naive that some folk reckon we were his only international consideration.

I don't think many think that tbh

. I don't see any issue with him accepting the chance to play for one international team he has an affiliation to when he acknowledges that he probably won't have an opportunity with the other. (The other being the one he is closest affiliated to.......for examples see half our players during the 80s/90s and even up to present day)

He wants to play international football. He is able to with Ireland.
    He wasnt ready physically or mentally to formally declare allegiancr up until now after years of injuries.
    He doesn't need a shamrock tattoo to qualify for that. Or for people to accept him.

He wasnt ready physically or mentally to formally declare allegiancr up until now after years of injuries.
    He doesn't need a shamrock tattoo to qualify for that. Or for people to accept him.

He want physically or mentally able to declare for us?

What does that even mean? Just how precious can 20 something footballers like him and Grealish be? He surely still had a functioning tongue, or fingers to send the tweets that all footballers seem to love these days.

I mean come on. I'm not saying the guy should be pilloried or anything, he was perfectly entitled to want to play for England and settle for us. But let's not make up bad excuses why he couldn't declare his loyalty long before now. He could have, very easily. For all the comparisons with Houghton and others, I don't recall footballers in those days taking 2 years to make up their minds.

2 years............. I am beginning to think you are thinking about a different player at this stage. You don't seem to know much at all about how this has developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If he scores a few goals and helps get us to a few tournaments then most people will soon forget about him holding out for England(if that is the case).
    He should be a good option for us and makes the squad stronger and we badly need some goalscorers.

Any of you know much about the young left back at City?Wilson is his name probably near impossible to break into that side .

2 years.............

True, it's actually well over 3 years since he was called up to the Irish under 21s but stayed with his club instead...that was February 2014...

Anyway, you're perfectly entitled to welcome him with open arms and say that I don't know much at all and...what was it again...he was mentally unable to know if he wanted to play for Ireland or not and it's a 3 year process. We'll just agree to differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

True, it's actually well over 3 years since he was called up to the Irish under 21s but stayed with his club instead...that was February 2014...

Anyway, you're perfectly entitled to welcome him with open arms and say that I don't know much at all and...what was it again...he was mentally unable to know if he wanted to play for Ireland or not and it's a 3 year process. We'll just agree to differ.
    Shure Grealish did the same and loads of posters were going to welcome him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,948 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Well he went off injured after 29 mins

Rumours he got approached today by the English FA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

The only problem I'd have with Hogan declaring is the fact he would instantly move ahead of Maguire in the pecking order despite not having done much more than him. I'd rather Maguire be given the shot first TBH.

Ideally both would be in the squad but there's no way Martin O Neill will put two untested strikers into the squad at the same time.

sonic85 wrote: »
    The only problem I'd have with Hogan declaring is the fact he would instantly move ahead of Maguire in the pecking order despite not having done much more than him. I'd rather Maguire be given the shot first TBH.

Ideally both would be in the squad but there's no way Martin O Neill will put two untested strikers into the squad at the same time.

Hogan won't be in the upcoming squad regardless anyway. And that was the case even before he went off injured tonight

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement