Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Hogan won't be in the upcoming squad regardless anyway. And that was the case even before he went off injured tonight

Yeah but neither will Maguire I'd say unless something miraculous happens. I'm talking about a little further down the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sonic85 wrote: »
    Yeah but neither will Maguire I'd say unless something miraculous happens. I'm talking about a little further down the road

They could feature promptly in the Nations league games in 2018 just before the Euro 2020 qualifying campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

In fairness both should be assessed equally at this stage. Whoever O'Neill thinks is more valuable to the squad. It's nice to have a few options up front now again. Murphy scored for second time in a few days tonight also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Jack Byrne needs to find a new club.

New Wigan manager says he's not part of his plans. Has him along with others deemed up for sale training with the u18s.
    I can't see anything linking him with anyone but hopefully he gets snatched up.

The boy needs regular football. After a great loan spell in Holland and called up to the Ireland squad it's all not gone to plan. In the space of one year he's had a difficult spell at Blackburn, left City for Wigan, only for them to get relegated, new manager in and now he's deemed not required.
    Really needs to find a club where he'll play week in and out and can improve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Jack Byrne needs to find a new club.

New Wigan manager says he's not part of his plans. Has him along with others deemed up for sale training with the u18s.
    I can't see anything linking him with anyone but hopefully he gets snatched up.

The boy needs regular football. After a great loan spell in Holland and called up to the Ireland squad it's all not gone to plan. In the space of one year he's had a difficult spell at Blackburn, left City for Wigan, only for them to get relegated, new manager in and now he's deemed not required.
    Really needs to find a club where he'll play week in and out and can improve.
    The LOI has proved a great stepping stone for players recently .

Perhaps it shows that players are willing to knuckle down and don't need to be namby pambied .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

More young talents to break through this season please. Should be interesting to track the progress of Jack Byrne in the Eredivisie, Tommie Hoban at Watford and Reece Randall Grego-Cox at QPR.

Interestingly this was posted on Page 1 of this thread, from back in summer 2015.

Two years on, and it hasn't really gone to plan for any of them.
    Byrne is stuggling to get a game. Greco-Cox is playing down in Division 2 (the 4th Tier), and Hoban never quite made it at Watford. He's playing in League One with Blackburn now.

blinding wrote: »
    The LOI has proved a great stepping stone for players recently .

Perhaps it shows that players are willing to knuckle down and don't need to be namby pambied .

Agree with you that more players are now getting noticed from LOI and it's quite a promising place for young talent but I can't see Jack Byrne playing in the LOI any time soon.

He's tied to a 3 year-contract he signed in January and while the fee is undisclosed his market value at the time was around £1million at the time, so no team in LOI will realistically be looking at him. A loan deal is unlikely by the sounds too, basically Wigan say he's not part of their plans but if he isn't sold they will rethink this.

It's just a disappointing position he is in. Realistically will probably go to another League 1 team in England, hopefully he can kick on and improve. Showed some lovely promising signs at times.

Is it an attitude thing with Byrne or something else besides ability? He seemed to do fairly well in Holland and I remember Patrick Viera made some nice comments about him at one stage too. So what the hell has gone wrong? He seems to be in real danger of slipping into obscurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

LOI would be a good move for Byrne but money wise no one would be able to afford him unless he was released from his contract and moved home. Couldn't even see a club being able to afford him on loan, what would he be on 5k or something around there.

• Advertisement

Is it an attitude thing with Byrne or something else besides ability? He seemed to do fairly well in Holland and I remember Patrick Viera made some nice comments about him at one stage too. So what the hell has gone wrong? He seems to be in real danger of slipping into obscurity.

Played very well in Netherlands.

At the start with Blackburn he had some promising signs. Then fell down the pecking order. Was ill for a bit but nothing serious and didn't miss much games. Owen Coyle talked to him and agreed he needed game time so they ended the loan. Played like 10 times or so for Blackburn.

Moved to Wigan when Warren Joyce was in charge then. When signed it was a long-term plan. Joyce had praised him saying he was playing well in training and not far off playing. Really was "one for the future" ease him in plan. Then Joyce lost his job and Cook came in. Cook doesn't see Byrne as needed and wants him out. Now it could be different come Christmas if he isn't sold and Cook ends up giving him a chance but for now he clearly wants him gone.

It's hard to say what it is. He's got talent, and from interviews and comments comes across as a down-to-earth level headed person. Think he's just been a bit unfortunate. Like his previous managers have complemented his work rate in trainings too but just came out with the, they don't think he's ready yet argument.

Anyway will be interesting to see how his career turns out.

Would he not be better off leaving England altogether then? I don't know if there would be much if any interest in him from abroad now - but for the sake of his own career maybe he would be better off going back to the Netherlands or maybe Spain or France. I was shocked that he even ended up at Wigan TBH. Don't know how that came about - unless they were literally the only club that was in for him

Would he not be better off leaving England altogether then? I don't know if there would be much if any interest in him from abroad now - but for the sake of his own career maybe he would be better off going back to the Netherlands or maybe Spain or France. I was shocked that he even ended up at Wigan TBH. Don't know how that came about - unless they were literally the only club that was in for him

I'd say he was sold a dream of regular football by a manager who isn't there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Hoolahan on serious form for Norwich lately too early to start saying he has to start against Serbia only to get disappointed when he doesn't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

McGeady with an assist again tonight, he has hit the ground running this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Hoolahan on serious form for Norwich lately too early to start saying he has to start against Serbia only to get disappointed when he doesn't ?

Wouldn't get your hopes up. We need to look at the Georgia game first anyways. That came is crucial and comes 3 days before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Wouldn't get your hopes up. We need to look at the Georgia game first anyways. That came is crucial and comes 3 days before.

This. Baby steps.

• I see Duffy has gotten a new contract with Brighton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Has Richie Towell been sent out on loan? Anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Has Richie Towell been sent out on loan? Anybody know?

I don't think he has yet but for his own sake he better get a loan move for the upcoming season.
    Didn't he sign a contract extension with BHA so they obviously see him in their plans but he needs games ,championship team would be ideal.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really disappointing the way Towell's move to BHA has gone. Really thought he'd make an impact on the Championship.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Really disappointing the way Towell's move to BHA has gone. Really thought he'd make an impact on the Championship.

Think he only made 5 appearances last season which is very disappointing wasn't even making the bench. Hopefully someone takes a chance on him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

yabadabado wrote: »
    I don't think he has yet but for his own sake he better get a loan move for the upcoming season.
    Didn't he sign a contract extension with BHA so they obviously see him in their plans but he needs games ,championship team would be ideal.

Heard there was word of a Charlton loan move but nothing has materialised. He needs a move to be playing regularly at a decent level

Yeah it's such a shame to see Richie Towells career stagnate over the last year and a half. Up there as one of the best LOI players I've seen and thought he'd take the championship by storm. It's a pity a combination of going to a team who were challenging for promotion and didn't he pick up an injury in pre season last year.

Yeah it's such a shame to see Richie Towells career stagnate over the last year and a half. Up there as one of the best LOI players I've seen and thought he'd take the championship by storm. It's a pity a combination of going to a team who were challenging for promotion and didn't he pick up an injury in pre season last year.

Yeah you're completely right. Richie was unlucky to an extent. Missed the majority of the first half of their season with injury, something he blames himself for (pushing to hard to impress) and by the time he cam back Brighton were performing well and was always going to be tough to break into the team.

The fact they gave him a new contract suggests they do see his talent. Hopefully he can either go out on loan or get some cup games and impress, muster himself onto the bench and possibly get a few games. Then it's up to him.

But agree it's been a shame so far, but hopefully future is brighter.

GLaDOS wrote: »

Sounds harsh but when he first went over there there was always something about him that I thought he wouldn't make it in England and fulfill his full talent owing to his age and type of personality going over there.
    It isn't easy for a footballer to adapt to that level and expectation and life when you are in your mid 20s, I would imagine. Obviously some players will but Towell always struck me as a relaxed guy in nature, and maybe not as intensive as lads like Coleman and McClean in character.
    It is a massive hurdle to overcome and it is good to see a few players like Horgan overcoming it.

I am not questioning him as a guy, from what I see he is a good natured character.

he is clearly at the wrong club now and why he was given a 2 year extension, especially after Brighton's promotion is bizarre.

No doubting his talent (at least at Championship level) but mentality to adapt to such a level is possibly more important when you head over there

he is clearly at the wrong club now and why he was given a 2 year extension, especially after Brighton's promotion is bizarre.

No doubting his talent (at least at Championship level) but mentality to adapt to such a level is possibly more important when you head over there

Yeah agree with you on this. It's unlikely he will get himself into the team, barring some extreme look.

I remember he said in an interview himself he was surprised when they offered the contract. Basically the club and manager told him they rated him highly. Maybe their plan is to loan him out until January, see how he's doing and decide whether they need him back or not.

But right now doesn't look like much clubs are possibly after him for the loan, according to papers, maybe some clubs are discussing the possibility.

Made perfect sense for Brighton to retain his services imo. He costed them nothing and is on low wages, they loan him out and he has a a storming year they can make a tidy profit on him and they are probably one of the favourites for relegation so if they were relegated they'd have a good championship player in Towell already on the books for cheap.

Then again he could be loaned out and fail big time which probably wouldn't worry them as he's only costed peanuts and they've got the premier league tv money this season.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Yeah agree with you on this. It's unlikely he will get himself into the team, barring some extreme look.

I remember he said in an interview himself he was surprised when they offered the contract. Basically the club and manager told him they rated him highly. Maybe their plan is to loan him out until January, see how he's doing and decide whether they need him back or not.

But right now doesn't look like much clubs are possibly after him for the loan, according to papers, maybe some clubs are discussing the possibility.

Again, not a good sign of his mentality if he doesn't believe he is capable of that level.
    I know PL is a huge step up for BHA but, as a player, to publicly come out and question why the club, in a roundabout way, would offer him a new contract seems like he is just happy to plod along.

He probably knows deep down he is not going to be a PL player and will be loaned out for the season to a mid to low tier Champ club, and, if, as said above, he does well, he will be sold on if he does well next Summer,

If he is surprised that they wanted to retain his service, surely he knows deep down he will be surplus to requirements in their PL squad, w/o admitting it. And I know he has the safety net of decent wages, but at 26 surely he wants to go to a club that wants him as a player, not as a completely back up player.

Who knows, maybe he won't even be loaned out and used for reserve and the odd cup game merely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Again, not a good sign of his mentality if he doesn't believe he is capable of that level.
    I know PL is a huge step up for BHA but, as a player, to publicly come out and question why the club, in a roundabout way, would offer him a new contract seems like he is just happy to plod along.

That's not what he meant at all when he said that. He was surprised because even though the club was telling him he was rated and wanted, he wasn't sure if that was true on their part. He believes he can play in the Championship.

Corholio wrote: »
    That's not what he meant at all when he said that. He was surprised because even though the club was telling him he was rated and wanted, he wasn't sure if that was true on their part. He believes he can play in the Championship.

I read it in the sense that he was surprised the club still rated him and still wanted him even though he only played maybe a hand full of games in the year and a half he was there and now they've gotten a massive injection of money from being promoted.

He is a talented player but I'm sure any footballer would be surprised if they were offered a new contract after doing nothing during his time there, think he's just an honest lad to actually come out and admit it.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »

Oh, no, I get the point.

But surely, deep down, especially considering they have stepped up to this new level and acquired new players, he knows he will be surplus to requirements. Yet he is happy to accept that and sign the contract, knowing BHA keeping him on is not financially burdensome on their part but gives him the safety net of a decent wage whilst he knows he is way down the pecking order and probably only kept on board by Hughton in case BHA go straight down, have to offload players to deal with relegation and have some sort of back up for 2018/2019.

Many clubs that get promoted do this. So as to ensure they are financially stable and have squad depth if they have to sell on newly acquired high earners the following year. A lot of these players are young players though or, at least, have the assurance of being loaned out in the interim.

Realistically, given all the evidence, only chance he will really have to play this season is being loaned out or an EFL Cup game or 2 maybe or the reserves. After that, unless he is loaned out (which is starting to look less likely), he won't get any real football at all.

It is hard to get my point across through text, of course. But, for me, he just seems happy to be at the club because they are paying him a decent wage. His ambition to be a first team player or, at least, a relatively NB squad player, seems questionable.

It is hard to get my point across through text, of course. But, for me, he just seems happy to be at the club because they are paying him a decent wage. His ambition to be a first team player or, at least, a relatively NB squad player, seems questionable.

I like to give him the benefit of the doubt here. I know he had a tough year and his head probably dropped. And the club and manager saying how much they rate him I can understand him thinking they're nice to him.

I imagine when they offered him the contract that he felt he could work his way into the team following a good loan spell.
    In the same interview he said as much really. Discussed about going out on loan in the championship and said he knows he's well able for it.

We don't know his ambitions and it's all guess work from us but I imagine he wants to go out on loan prove himself and think he can maybe work himself into the squad considering what they said to him.

The fact he hasn't been loaned yet isn't his fault, I do hope a club comes looking for him sooner rather than later though.

I imagine Hughton is a decent guy and will have his best interests at heart, especially given the Irish connection. So hopefully he will get on the blower and try to convince someone, a Birmingham, a Reading, a Barnsley, to take a chance on him, if only until January. In a way some players like Towell need a more scrupulous manager to sit him down and tell him he isn't needed.
    But then again, Towell wouldn't really have the CV to sell himself to another Champ level club and is very reliant on Hughton's referral

Shane Duffy signed a new four year contract with Brighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

What's going to happen with McCarthy at Everton ? Really could do with a move but not being fit atm is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

What's going to happen with McCarthy at Everton ? Really could do with a move but not being fit atm is not ideal.

Hasn't been properly fit for a long time now.

He's 27 in November. Sadly, it just seems like his career is going to peter out. Hope things changes, but we've been saying that for years. Why would he change now? He just strikes me as someone who lacks drive. Maybe football, at its core, doesn't do it for him?

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

He's 27 in November. Sadly, it just seems like his career is going to peter out. Hope things changes, but we've been saying that for years. Why would he change now? He just strikes me as someone who lacks drive. Maybe football, at its core, doesn't do it for him?

Strikes me as someone who is injury prone.

To be fair, last season was the only season he was really inhibited by injury a few times over the season.

he has made circa 35 to 40 odd club appearances every season for the last decade (with the exception when he was first breaking in at Wigan)

There is a very exaggerated myth about McCarthy and injuries I feel

A move will be on the cards if he doesn't regain his place but he is valued at Everton and has the talent to be a first team player there this season. His career definitely wouldn't strike me as someone who lacks drive. This is an Everton team consistently in top half in league.

And he is a regular first team player over those years

Not sure if Koeman values him too highly .He has bought a good few cms since he became manager.
    I hope he is straight into the team when he's available,when need everyone playing but will he be ahead of Gueye and Schneiderlin I doubt it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

How do you come to that conclusion just because he's had a few injuries? He was starting with Everton not all that long ago, hardly years. Your career is hardly petering out when your still a Premier League player. Just needs to get himself fit and he'd very decent for a mid to lower Premier League team.

To be fair, last season was the only season he was really inhibited by injury a few times over the season.

he has made circa 35 to 40 odd club appearances every season for the last decade (with the exception when he was first breaking in at Wigan)

There is a very exaggerated myth about McCarthy and injuries I feel

A move will be on the cards if he doesn't regain his place but he is valued at Everton and has the talent to be a first team player there this season. His career definitely wouldn't strike me as someone who lacks drive. This is an Everton team consistently in top half in league.

And he is a regular first team player over those years

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-mccarthy/verletzungen/spieler/45333

Seems like alot in the last three years tbh.

noodler wrote: »

As I said last season he incurred a good few problems. 2014/15 November to January and 2010/2011.

I wouldn't say he is injury stricken throughout his career. The latter were medium/long term period injuries but I think the reputation of him being injured is greatly exaggerated at times

When you spread out that figure of months he has missed over 7 years, and the fact they were medium term injuries, not niggles here and there, the myth is misleading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

It's amazing the lengths people will go to to explain why Irish players are not particularly successful without mentioning the blindingly obvious lack of talent. There always has to be some other reason like lack of dedication or ambition. I wonder do Faroe Islands' fans say Gunner Gunnersson the mechanic should be playing every week in a top league if only he wanted it enough.

As I said last season he incurred a good few problems. 2014/15 November to January and 2010/2011.

I wouldn't say he is injury stricken throughout his career. The latter were medium/long term period injuries but I think the reputation of him being injured is greatly exaggerated at times

When you spread out that figure of months he has missed over 7 years, and the fact they were medium term injuries, not niggles here and there, the myth is misleading

Funny way of looking at it.

The most significant period for analysis when assessing a players likely future potential for injury is surely the most recent.

The link, if accurate, says he has missed about 270 days over the last three seasons. Now it depends how many of those are during the season but that could be as much as a third of three seasons since 2014/2015.

For purely statistical purposes you are right and you can bring in the early years of injury free years to bring the average down but he has missed almost 50 games for his club in the last three seasons due to injuries so he certainly seems to have become quite susceptible to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

McCarthy is someone who has a lot of talent. Every so often he has a game where he justifies that talent. But few and far between.

He's never fulfilled his potential and he's entering the peak of his career. Majority of people (in any walk of life) who fail to fulfil their obvious talent tend lack that drive or motivation. I don't think McCarthy is any different. Injuries have nothing to do with it.it was same in his earlier injury free part of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is a great interview with Jon Walters in The Times today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Young Declan Rice starts for West Ham today.

Seanie Maguire gets a start for Preston too, Horgan not in squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Fair play to him. I wonder who was the last Irish teenager to start a Premier League game, James McCarthy?

I'd say McCarthy as well.Gonna watch hammers game now see how he gets on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement