Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Injured just had knee surgery according to the papers this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He was injured v Derby.Needs surgery afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There is something about that sentence that rattles my hold body.....

Hes a hardy mo fo.He tried to run off a broken leg last April ,only just back.A real pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Good to see Declan Rice starting for West Ham but such a pity about Greg Cunningham after only getting named in the Irish squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Hourihane with a goal for Villa today

Hourihane with a goal for Villa today

Make that two goals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Hattrick for Hourihane for Villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Make that two goals

Make that the hattrick

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Assist for Maguire too,hope he gets on the scoresheet soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Hogan once again coming out and talking logic about the whole "drama" that people have made about his situation. He has been honest, consistent, spoke openly and calmly and talked logic the whole time, this mornings interview in The Times again indicating that.

The naysayers and doubts about whether he deserves to play for us will continue but taking the whole thing in context I honestly don't know why anyone would begrudge him a call up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Hogan once again coming out and talking logic about the whole "drama" that people have made about his situation. He has been honest, consistent, spoke openly and calmly and talked logic the whole time, this mornings interview in The Times again indicating that.

The naysayers and doubts about whether he deserves to play for us will continue but taking the whole thing in context I honestly don't know why anyone would begrudge him a call up now.

How does his word make it obvious that he has been honest?! Regardless of what he said, it suited him to not make a commitment at the time. I don't have any objections to him playing for us now, but doesn't change that it suited him back in the day, regardless of what he says now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think you need to be clear about what alot of people on here have said.

Play for us fine, if you contribute, work hard, fans will love you. It's just that alot of pear realistic and know we aren't his first choice and he didn't dream of playing for Ireland. Thats all like. It's not begrudgery.

noodler wrote: »
    I think you need to be clear about what alot of people on here have said.

Play for us fine, if you contribute, work hard, fans will love you. It's just that alot of pear realistic and know we aren't his first choice and he didn't dream of playing for Ireland. Thats all like. It's not begrudgery.

No it isn't in any way obvious. People are criticising him for not running to Dublin the moment he returned from injury because he had got a few goals. People assumed that as meaning he had a problem playing for us. What is wrong with him, like half of our players through the Charlton era ando beyond choosing us due to connection and wanting to play international football, knowing he probably wouldn't have a chance to be called up by England given they have multiple multiple more options.

Do you honestly think he was expecting to be called up by England the last 12 months after 2 years out and playing mid/lower tier Champ football and before which he was playin even Lowe league/non league because he has scored a few goals and now that he hasn't been called up yet he has ONLY JUST RESORTED TO SECOND CHOICE.

As I said he's been honest the last 12 months, has never said a Robbie Keane esque "I grew up wanting to play for Ireland ", he merely said "he would sit down and consider the approach at the right time". and just said understandable things.

He has a season of football behind him now, so now apparently feels this is a suitable juncture to make the decision.

The funny thing is the next aspect of the criticism will be "oh he only wants to play for us now because it looks like we have a great chance to get a WC qualification if we apply ourself "
    And some of these will be the same people who criticised him for turning down MONs approach pre Euro 2016!!

PhilipsR wrote: »
    How does his word make it obvious that he has been honest?! Regardless of what he said, it suited him to not make a commitment at the time. I don't have any objections to him playing for us now, but doesn't change that it suited him back in the day, regardless of what he says now.

Do you know the reasons why it suited him...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I am very happy with the addition of Hogan and hope he is announced in the squad asap, with the emergence of Maguire also they are two new options for what is definitely our weakest part of the squad. If we are to qualify for the World Cup, I don't think we will bring both, Long, Walters & Murphy are regulars and would deservedly be in the 23 man squad, there is probably room for one more forward in the squad and it will probably be between Maguire, Hogan or McGoldrick. Hopefully both will have good seasons in the Championship as we have been looking for another option up front for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

As it was discussed earlier saw an article today about Richie Towell and possible loan deals for him. Don't know how concrete it is, and the use of the word tentative doesn't strike confidence into you, but hopefully one of them make a move for him.
    It's understood that Championship pair Burton Albion and Barnsley, and League One promotion-chasers Blackburn Rovers have expressed a tentative interest in Towell. Their divisional rivals MK Dons and Charlton are also in the frame.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/towell-considers-loan-options-to-kickstart-career-36055975.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Talking logic?? I'd imagine the statement he made was written out for him by his agent. He wanted to concentrate on getting fit first, before joining a squad etc?? All bullshit.

If he always knew he was going to join up with the squad once fit, why not get a passport?? Rather than scrambling around for one now that he has decided he wants to play with us?? Weasel words from a weasel. Hopefully Maguire fulfils his potential and we don't use Hogan.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Adamocovic wrote: »
    As it was discussed earlier saw an article today about Richie Towell and possible loan deals for him. Don't know how concrete it is, and the use of the word tentative doesn't strike confidence into you, but hopefully one of them make a move for him.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/towell-considers-loan-options-to-kickstart-career-36055975.html

You'd hope something would materialise. Even regular league 1 football would be better than rotting in the reserves

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

If he always knew he was going to join up with the squad once fit, why not get a passport?? Rather than scrambling around for one now that he has decided he wants to play with us??

There is the rather very obvious question as well, why is he only applying for a passport now, when he was called up to the under 21s over 3 years ago...but didn't show up then.

People will swallow any old nonsense at all. It's obvious we're second choice. Not that he should be pilloried for it or anything, just that we shouldn't make excuses for him or pretend he jumped at the chance to play for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

There is the rather very obvious question as well, why is he only applying for a passport now, when he was called up to the under 21s over 3 years ago...but didn't show up then.

People will swallow any old nonsense at all. It's obvious we're second choice. Not that he should be pilloried for it or anything, just that we shouldn't make excuses for him or pretend he jumped at the chance to play for us.

Does he need an Irish passport to play for Ireland? I didnt think so.

Lots of people in the UK have applied for an irish passport recently. Not sure what happened in the last year that caused this increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think Towell is a good example of why people shouldn't be expecting Maguire to instantly become the answer to our prayers.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think Towell is a good example of why people shouldn't be expecting Maguire to instantly become the answer to our prayers.

Unlike Towell, Maguire made the right choice and moved during the summer giving himself a much better chance of hitting the ground running after the half a season he had with Cork. Biggest mistake Towell made was not re-signing with Dundalk for 2016 and moving during the summer, think he jumped at the chance of moving over and trying to push his way into the squad for Euro 2016.

• Advertisement

Does he need an Irish passport to play for Ireland? I didnt think so.

Lots of people in the UK have applied for an irish passport recently. Not sure what happened in the last year that caused this increase.
    Brexit

I'm not sure you do need the passport but always seems that players get it.Maybe just easier for travel etc with teams.

Aren't you automatically a irish citizen if either of your parents were Irish citizens ?Just need to register it with dept of justice ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

yabadabado wrote: »
    Brexit

I'm not sure you do need the passport but always seems that players get it.Maybe just easier for travel etc with teams.

Aren't you automatically a irish citizen if either of your parents were Irish citizens ?Just need to register it with dept of justice ?

Sorry, sarcasm doesnt come across well in text form. I knew about brexit.

The current eligibility rules:
    The relevant current FIFA statute, Article 17: Acquisition of a new nationality, states:[16]

Any Player who ... [assumes] a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match ... in an official competition of any category or any type of football for one Association] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfills one of the following conditions:
    (a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    (b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    (c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    (d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

— FIFA.com

I see no mention of a passport.

Talking logic?? I'd imagine the statement he made was written out for him by his agent. He wanted to concentrate on getting fit first, before joining a squad etc?? All bullshit.

If he always knew he was going to join up with the squad once fit, why not get a passport?? Rather than scrambling around for one now that he has decided he wants to play with us?? Weasel words from a weasel. Hopefully Maguire fulfils his potential and we don't use Hogan.

Sure. Sure.

Nasty attitude. It's a good trait not to be so prejudicial and begrudging

Weasel indeed

Eh no one said he wouldnt of chosen England if he realistically thought he would have a choice??? Well I certainly don't.

Ditto most of granny rule players

Doesn't mean anything in the context of what people are moaning about. .. ie that he didn't declare immediately

The agenda against him changes every time it's suits people who just want to moan about him

Do you think he has only figured out now after the last few months that he isn't likely to be called up by England???

What if he had declared back last November but explained (with complete LOGIC) that he doesn't want to be called up so as that he can try to get a full season behind him and focus on his career? Would people moan then?

I personally think he was perfectly logical in saying he wanted to get an injury free season under his belt for firsttime I'm 3 years and then consider international football?

Why in God's name is that a problem?

Why is he a weasel.

Nasty attitude

I guarantee you if I go back through this thread the context regarding why people are moaning about him has changed from one thing to the other to suit the argument.

Latest now being agent scripts and passportsee! !

It's quite hilarious.

• Advertisement

Eh no one said he wouldnt of chosen England if he realistically thought he would have a choice??? Well I certainly don't.

Ditto most of granny rule players

Doesn't mean anything in the context of what people are moaning about. .. ie that he didn't declare immediately

The agenda against him changes every time it's suits people who just want to moan about him

Do you think he has only figured out now after the last few months that he isn't likely to be called up by England???

What if he had declared back last November but explained (with complete LOGIC) that he doesn't want to be called up so as that he can try to get a full season behind him and focus on his career? Would people moan then?

I personally think he was perfectly logical in saying he wanted to get an injury free season under his belt for firsttime I'm 3 years and then consider international football?

Why in God's name is that a problem?

Why is he a weasel.

Nasty attitude

Yes. In the January transfer window 8 months ago he was linked with a big money move to West Ham in the Premiership. It didn't materialize. I'm sure he thought if he got that move and did well he might get England recognition. He didn't, and a poor Villa side signed him. So he's settling for Ireland before he gets too old.

Why is he a weasel.

Nasty attitude

Ummm...I didn't say that at all. Please don't wrongly ascribe quotes to me.

I appreciate we won't agree. I appreciate you are a bit irked about it - I think previously you said I didn't know much about matters at all when I referred to this as an issue going back 2 years. For someone who is getting very sensitive about those who question Hogan, you can dole out the nasty lines yourself. When I pointed out that in fact he failed to turn up for the under 21s when called up over 3 years ago, you didn't respond.

We can agree to differ, but you can't prescribe that others swallow whatever line he trots out to explain why he has only now, 3 years after a call up to the under 21s, finally decided to play for Ireland. I believe he could easily have clarified what his wishes were at any time.

Yes. In the January transfer window 8 months ago he was linked with a big money move to West Ham in the Premiership. It didn't materialize. I'm sure he thought if he got that move and did well he might get England recognition. He didn't, and a poor Villa side signed him. So he's settling for Ireland before he gets too old.

Like Ray Houghton. ....... ..for example (and Aldridge and Mcateer and Townsend. .... all of whom you would imagine have stalled until they realised that Ireland was there best chance of international football. .......you are an expert at reading minds so how do you analyse these guys

Houghton has openly admitted he stalled after he was approached

Just to confirm, you also think he all these are weasels or do they get a bye .May as well be consistent here.

Ummm...I didn't say that at all. Please don't wrongly ascribe quotes to me.

I appreciate we won't agree. I appreciate you are a bit irked about it - I think previously you said I didn't know much about matters at all when I referred to this as an issue going back 2 years. For someone who is getting very sensitive about those who question Hogan, you can dole out the nasty lines yourself. When I pointed out that in fact he failed to turn up for the under 21s when called up over 3 years ago, you didn't respond.

We can agree to differ, but you can't prescribe that others swallow whatever line he trots out to explain why he has only now, 3 years after a call up to the under 21s, finally decided to play for Ireland. I believe he could easily have clarified what his wishes were at any time.

His wishes were he didn't want to commit to or consider international football when approached?? After over 2 years out from injury.

He said this multiple multiple times.

What is the issue with that?

Maybe he was considering England in the back of his mind but I imagine 99% of his focus was on getting his career going. At the end of the day he has to earn a wage and he was considered a crock for years.

I'd say it's very understandable for him to defer on making a final decision until he has confidence back in his career, injury wise, and has proven himself at club standard again.

There isn't any doubt that we are his "second choice" as I doubt he grew up wanting to play for anyone but zEngland but it's the hypocrisy when all these begrudgers don't affiliate other players under the granny/parent rule with same criticism in hindsight.

As I said if he committed straight away to us in this grand ceremony outside The Aviva but told MON he wanted, understandably, to not be called up until he has a season of football under his belt there would be much more criticism aimed at him.

And if he came out and declared that he would like to play for England but if it doesn't look likely he will, he will commit to Ireland he would be a source of ridicule.

He couldn't win.

What did you want him to say last year

I'm interested

Ps, he was refused permission to travel at the time of Under 21 call up by his club manager because they had a vital game. But I expect you know that?

He didn't "fail to turn up " . He wasn't called up after and then he soon became injury prone.

And back then it was perfectly reasonable for him to be considering his birth country over a country he merely is connected to by a relation.

It's not that I am personally irked by it. I just wish that people would embrace a clearly talented finisher which we need and be enthusiastic now that he has declared.

Especially given our past success with foreign born players.
    If you don't think he has the talent to play for us that is different.

There isn't any doubt that we are his "second choice" as I doubt he grew up wanting to play for anyone but zEngland but it's the hypocrisy when all these begrudgers don't affiliate other players under the granny/parent rule with same criticism in hindsight.
    ..l.
    What did you want him to say last year

I'm interested

It's neither hypocrisy nor begrudgery to point out that others you mention didn't spend ages mulling it over. It is hypocritical to say that people use weasel words to point that out, when you yourself even agree that we were his second choice, but you rail against those posters then and say their motives are begrudgery. Do you think someone like Kevin Kilbane is motivated by begrudgery on the issue?

He could have said anything at all along the lines of "when I'm fit, if I'm good enough, I'd like to play for Ireland". And ended any speculation.

The article linked to his Wiki page does not say he was not allowed to join the Irish under 21s, but that his then manager preferred him to stay because they had a club match.

It's neither hypocrisy nor begrudgery to point out that others you mention didn't spend ages mulling it over. It is hypocritical to say that people use weasel words to point that out, when you yourself even agree that we were his second choice, but you rail against those posters then and say their motives are begrudgery. Do you think someone like Kevin Kilbane is motivated by begrudgery on the issue?

He could have said anything at all along the lines of "when I'm fit, if I'm good enough, I'd like to play for Ireland". And ended any speculation.

The article linked to his Wiki page does not say he was not allowed to join the Irish under 21s, but that his then manager preferred him to stay because they had a club match.

Anyway. It's a pointless argument. I don't see what is to gain by being p*ssed off and offended that he didn't declare straight away, given the fact he was born in England, isn't this superstar that has been around or even heard about by 99% of fans until he started knocking goals in and that he hadn't had an injury free season in 3 years.

How long was he mulling over it? I would imagine he couldn't give a cr*p, relatively speaking, about international football when his career was on the line. And that extends to last season.

As I said, no matter how he dealt with it he was going to be privy to criticism and petty begrudgery.

He's here now. You don't like that. Your perogative.

Personally I am looking forward to seeing what he could bring and that will determine his commitment to us going forward and I couldn't care less that he didn't humour us with some declaration of his desire to put on the jersey before now.

It took Houghton a fair amount of time to declare if you know your facts. Again social media wasn't there to moan about that back then. Luckily so.

And yes he was refused permission according to 3 articles I have literally googled and read which is normal at that level.

But that doesn't suit the agenda.

Anyway, that's my last on the matter tbh.

Anyway. It's a pointless argument. I don't see what is to gain by being p*ssed off and offended that he didn't declare straight away, given the fact he was born in England, isn't this superstar that has been around or even heard about by 99% of fans until he started knocking goals in and that he hadn't had an injury free season in 3 years.

How long was he mulling over it? I would imagine he couldn't give a cr*p, relatively speaking, about international football when his career was on the line. And that extends to last season.

As I said, no matter how he dealt with it he was going to be privy to criticism and petty begrudgery.

He's here now. You don't like that. Your perogative.

Personally I am looking forward to seeing what he could bring and that will determine his commitment to us going forward and I couldn't care less that he didn't humour us with some declaration of his desire to put on the jersey before now.

It took Houghton a fair amount of time to declare if you know your facts. Again social media wasn't there to moan about that back then. Luckily so.

And yes he was refused permission according to 3 articles I have literally googled and read which is normal at that level.

But that doesn't suit the agenda.

Anyway, that's my last on the matter tbh.

He said on his Twitter account 4 years ago that he was eligible to play for Ireland or England. So that's 4 years of mulling anyway. He was called up for the under 21s over 3 years ago, something you seemed unaware of earlier in the thread.

You keep on using terms like "petty begrudgery" and saying you know more than others and now, laughably, refer to an "agenda". And then say others are using weasel words about the player when all they are doing is pointing out that he has settled for Ireland because he now realises he will never play for England. And, bizarrely, you agree with that. You issue seems to be with people articulating it.

I'm neither p*ssed off nor offended that he has decided to play for us, he was entitled to hope to play for England. And people are entitled to say he really wanted to play for England. It's exactly what you have said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

You are hilarious buddy, do you ever post anything with a semblance of facts or all just nonsense guesswork :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Anyway, he starts for Villa tonight in their EFL cup game.
    Looking at the starting line ups across all teams, there are a huge amount of Irish players starting. Not a good sign really as most teams are playing their reserves. Even Towell is starting for Brighton.

• Advertisement

So we all have to like Scott Hogan now I'm taking it?

Yes....... .....

Because that is what you took from what I was saying.

Here's a like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Yep, he's on a hattrick at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Jake Doyle-Hayes made his debut for Villa in the game tonight,rumoured to be one to keep an eye on

Stevecw wrote: »
    Anyway, he starts for Villa tonight in their EFL cup game.
    Looking at the starting line ups across all teams, there are a huge amount of Irish players starting. Not a good sign really as most teams are playing their reserves. Even Towell is starting for Brighton.

Callum O'Hare who also played tonight with Villa also qualifies to play with Ireland.

irishman86 wrote: »
    You are hilarious buddy, do you ever post anything with a semblance of facts or all just nonsense guesswork :rolleyes:

The link with West Ham is a fact, the rest is my opinion. Buddy.

The link with West Ham is a fact, the rest is my opinion. Buddy.

Exactly, so you feel you can diss a man based on nothing

irishman86 wrote: »
    Exactly, so you feel you can diss a man based on nothing

He refused an U21 call up and then refused to commit to the senior team 2/3 years ago. That isn't "nothing". Buddy.

He refused an U21 call up and then refused to commit to the senior team 2/3 years ago. That isn't "nothing". Buddy.

The under 21 thing has been answered so i wont even bother
    I would have done the same thing in his shoes played less than 20 games in three years international football was the last thing he was thinking about
    So yes you have nothing just rambling nonsense
    If i was a betting man id guess you were outraged about Grealish choosing to play for England the land of his birth :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

FWIW Richie Towell played the full 90 mins against Barnet in the League Cup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement