Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The people so outraged about Hogan committing to Ireland have no place supporting the Ireland team or participating in this thread. It doesn't make any sense. Why would you want anything to do with the team which has for three decades or more accepted players and managers who would rather be in the England setup. Why would anyone that sensitive want to watch the Irish team when you can't get any satisfaction out of it and you can't feel any pride. Or maybe the satisfaction is gained from acting the dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

irishman86 wrote: »
    The under 21 thing has been answered so i wont even bother
    I would have done the same thing in his shoes played less than 20 games in three years international football was the last thing he was thinking about
    So yes you have nothing just rambling nonsense
    If i was a betting man id guess you were outraged about Grealish choosing to play for England the land of his birth :rolleyes:

You don't have to be a betting man to guess buddy. I guess you learn something every day. With Grealish, i was disappointed the way he dragged it out and didn't think we should have been chasing him once he started humming and hawing over who to play for. I don't care he chose England.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The people so outraged about Hogan committing to Ireland have no place supporting the Ireland team or participating in this thread. It doesn't make any sense. Why would you want anything to do with the team which has for three decades or more accepted players and managers who would rather be in the England setup. Why would anyone that sensitive want to watch the Irish team when you can't get any satisfaction out of it and you can't feel any pride. Or maybe the satisfaction is gained from acting the dick.

Most people aren't outraged at all. Just merely pointing out that it suited Hogan to use the injuries as an excuse. I don't hold it against him at all and would be delighted if he had a part to play in the qualifiers for the World Cup (preferably a part being a couple of goals).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

You don't have to be a betting man to guess buddy. I guess you learn something every day. With Grealish, i was disappointed the way he dragged it out and didn't think we should have been chasing him once he started humming and hawing over who to play for. I don't care he chose England.

Why wouldnt we continue to chase him, hes a young lad with options. As for Hogan you have no foundation as shown by your betting man comment, something thats reserved for i have nothing time to unleash the betting man :rolleyes:

irishman86 wrote: »
    Why wouldnt we continue to chase him, hes a young lad with options. As for Hogan you have no foundation as shown by your betting man comment, something thats reserved for i have nothing time to unleash the betting man :rolleyes:

Any chance of that last sentence in english?? I don't speak gibberish. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Any chance of that last sentence in english?? I don't speak gibberish. Thanks

:rolleyes:.........thats all you have done so far buddy, i was trying to put it in your terms
    Ill dumb it down a bit, you talk ****e with no foundation :D

PhilipsR wrote: »

Most people aren't outraged at all. Just merely pointing out that it suited Hogan to use the injuries as an excuse. I don't hold it against him at all and would be delighted if he had a part to play in the qualifiers for the World Cup (preferably a part being a couple of goals).

Then my post doesn't apply to you. I'm referring to the outraged people.

But I would say that while your opinion might be correct, it really isn't worth the amount of discussion this sort of thing gets in here.

Anyone naive enough to assume people are selfless at their core need a wake up call. There isn't one member of the Irish team who wouldn't quit if it somehow meant more money in their pocket. That's why you have players retiring from international football to prolong their professional careers.

As soon as people accept that everyone prioritises themselves things would be a lot more relaxed. Instead you have idiots in this thread (not you) having huge expectations of other people that they wouldn't have for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jonathan-walters-interview-mum-died-and-the-next-day-i-just-went-back-to-school-vb38vpr2j?shareToken=4d6b34e5797f4dd184b828e308f7a12e

Great interview with Jonathan Walters, up there as my favourite player over the last number of years. Never get less than 100% with Walters even when not a 100% fit himself he still busts his balls for the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jonathan-walters-interview-mum-died-and-the-next-day-i-just-went-back-to-school-vb38vpr2j?shareToken=4d6b34e5797f4dd184b828e308f7a12e

Great interview with Jonathan Walters, up there as my favourite player over the last number of years. Never get less than 100% with Walters even when not a 100% fit himself he still busts his balls for the national team.

The man is a legend. Plain and simple.

I think that's one thing everyone on here can agree on (for a change :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8mUWdO0PBo

our new lad with 2 goals (2nd one was very good)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The man is a legend. Plain and simple.

I think that's one thing everyone on here can agree on (for a change :pac:)
    and he likes a bit of banter
    http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke-city-wayne-rooney-calls-jon-walters-wind-up-merchant-8230-walters-responds-with-botox-jibe/story-29413016-detail/story.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Isn't about time to stop the Hogan discussion.
    Like it or not he has declared for us and will get a call up very soon.

No one really knows what went on, its all speculation,may as well get behind him now and hope he's a huge success.

With a bit of luck him and Maguire have excellent seasons and our attacking options won't be so poor.

The people so outraged about Hogan committing to Ireland have no place supporting the Ireland team or participating in this thread. It doesn't make any sense...
    Or maybe the satisfaction is gained from acting the dick.

:D

I think we should end the Hogan matter on this post. It should stand as a testament to just how...silly some of the stuff was. For pointing to the elephant in the room, that we're second choice, you were told you could not support Ireland and you should be censored.

Good man Minder, you injected a shot of humour into the matter anyway with that ridiculous overstatement. For my money, the funniest post on the matter, and a suitable way to end it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Thanks for posting that. I had missed that one. Absolutely brilliant interview and without a doubt Jon Walters has been my favourite Ireland player in recent years. Was for me our top player and the main reason we got to the Euro finals in 2016. A truly great person off the field it seems and someone who has given us his all and then some on the field. Hopefully he gets to finish his international career having played at the World Cup finals as well as the European Finals.

Walters is a class act .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

yabadabado wrote: »
    Walters is a class act .

And a rebel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Molumby has a bright future according to a few things i have read/heard.

Marcus McGuane is getting linked with moves to City and Juve,probably better staying put for now .Supposed to be an exceptional talent but doubt we will see him in green again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Walters is a class act .

And a rebel.

And he stands up to bullies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Marcus McGuane is getting linked with moves to City and Juve,probably better staying put for now .Supposed to be an exceptional talent but doubt we will see him in green again.

Did he not go to England team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Surprised it wasn't mentioned but Aaron Connolly also made his debut for Brighton in that game becoming their first player born since the Millennium to play for the team.

Isn't about time to stop the Hogan discussion.
    Like it or not he has declared for us and will get a call up very soon.
    I'm glad he's declared for us. Unfortunately I don't think speculation will really end until he has been capped in a competitive game.
    Whether or not there's any truth on it, speculation will continue, as it did in the cases of Arter or James McCarthy.
    What happens if he scores 30 goals in the Premier League, and hasn't been capped yet by Ireland in a competitive game etc.

I'm glad he's declared for us. Unfortunately I don't think speculation will really end until he has been capped in a competitive game.
    Whether or not there's any truth on it, speculation will continue, as it did in the cases of Arter or James McCarthy.
    What happens if he scores 30 goals in the Premier League, and hasn't been capped yet by Ireland in a competitive game etc.
    IMO he will be capped by us long before it's possible he scores 1 EPL goal never mind 30.

Could easily see him get an appearance v Moldova in October.

Yes, and if he is capped v Moldova that would be ideal, then the issue is put to bed.
    but in the case of McCarthy and Arter I think both went over year after getting their debuts in friendies, to being capped in a competitive game. Unfortunate, but of course didn't help in dispelling rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Jaysus, just realised we're out against Georgia next Saturday and then the crunch one v Serbia 3 days later. That crept up so fast.

Absolutely vital we at least don't lose either of these games. I really don't know how we'll do away to Georgia, it's the ultimate banana skin. Best we can hope for is a nervy ground out 0-1 win, courtesy of an o.g. or something. I'd take the hand off you if offered now though.

Wales v Austria also a key game. A win for us and a draw there would be lovely as it would effectively kill off any remaining hope for the aforementioned two. Really would be a disaster to lose in Tblisi and one of Aus/Wal win as they'd be breathing down our necks.
    Serbia guaranteed 3pts at home to Moldova so it's important we keep in touch with them.

It's encouraging to see a few of the players showing some form lately. Brady on the score (and assist) sheet the other night, McGeady & Ward doing well at Sunderland and Burnley respectively. Randolph with a few clean sheets for Middlesborough.

Walters a doubt for the double header. Has anyone the number for the passport office? Need to get Hogan's passport fast tracked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Walters a doubt for the double header. Has anyone the number for the passport office? Need to get Hogan's passport fast tracked

Ahhhh Noooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Cake Man wrote: »
    Jaysus, just realised we're out against Georgia next Saturday and then the crunch one v Serbia 3 days later. That crept up so fast.

Absolutely vital we at least don't lose either of these games. I really don't know how we'll do away to Georgia, it's the ultimate banana skin. Best we can hope for is a nervy ground out 0-1 win, courtesy of an o.g. or something. I'd take the hand off you if offered now though.

Wales v Austria also a key game. A win for us and a draw there would be lovely as it would effectively kill off any remaining hope for the aforementioned two. Really would be a disaster to lose in Tblisi and one of Aus/Wal win as they'd be breathing down our necks.
    Serbia guaranteed 3pts at home to Moldova so it's important we keep in touch with them.

It's encouraging to see a few of the players showing some form lately. Brady on the score (and assist) sheet the other night, McGeady & Ward doing well at Sunderland and Burnley respectively. Randolph with a few clean sheets for Middlesborough.

Must not lose? This defeatist attitude has got to stop within Ireland teams and Ireland fans.

These two games are must wins. We want 1st, not 2nd where we can get shafted by a terrible play off draw. If we win these two games, we're sorted. We'd be on to top the group with a win at home to Moldova in October.

It's time to be positive here and drive home this incredible position we've put ourselves in. There's no reason why we can't get 6 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

I hate to say it but the Georgians are due a result against us. Our luck against them down through the years has been incredible

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Must not lose? This defeatist attitude has got to stop within Ireland teams and Ireland fans.

These two games are must wins. We want 1st, not 2nd where we can get shafted by a terrible play off draw. If we win these two games, we're sorted. We'd be on to top the group with a win at home to Moldova in October.

It's time to be positive here and drive home this incredible position we've put ourselves in. There's no reason why we can't get 6 points.

And so it was ever thus...

The same debates were had in advance of the Wales and Austria games. We won't look to push home the position. Our manager is cautious by default on the bigger games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's not defeatist as a supporter at all to say it's a must not lose game. We'd all love to be part of teams that can/will win most games they play but it's not realistic. Also supporters opinion on whether we should go out to win games or not has zero bearing on whether we will do that or not. Whether the manager will or not is a whole other discussion.

I bet we will bloody draw in Georgia

Ideal would be we win and Serbia/Moldova and Wales/Austria are draws but Serbia are guaranteed 3pts I think

Georgia game Sat, hurling final Sunday and then Serbia Tuesday. My nerves won't be able for it all

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

I think we will beat Georgia it won't be easy work but I'm confident of 3 points, win that and we are in great position for the Serbia game. Georgia don't owe us one if they were good enough to beat us down through the years they would have they've got several chances. All the same they deserve some respect but very confident the lads can get a win away. Time to start believing a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think we will beat Georgia it won't be easy work but I'm confident of 3 points, win that and we are in great position for the Serbia game. Georgia don't owe us one if they were good enough to beat us down through the years they would have they've got several chances. All the same they deserve some respect but very confident the lads can get a win away. Time to start believing a bit.
    We seem to have the hex on Georgia so let's keep it that way.

• Advertisement

Georgia are a nothing team. We will beat them comfortably. And if Serbia are as terrible as they were in the first game then we should be taking 6 easy points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Georgia are a nothing team. We will beat them comfortably. And if Serbia are as terrible as they were in the first game then we should be taking 6 easy points.

They ran the show against us for 80 minutes in Belgrade.

Best Austria, drew with Wales twice.

Nothing assured about it.

Not as confident about Georgia either. If they scored first I'd be very downbeat on our prospects.

Here's hoping. Pivotal week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

One game at a time. Georgia away is always tricky. They drew with Wales in Cardiff.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    One game at a time. Georgia away is always tricky. They drew with Wales in Cardiff.

And they have given us a real run for our money in recent meetings including the last one in this campaign in Dublin. I will be absolutely delighted if we find a way to nab 3 points over there next weekend.

eire4 wrote: »
    And they have given us a real run for our money in recent meetings including the last one in this campaign in Dublin. I will be absolutely delighted if we find a way to nab 3 points over there next weekend.

If we can't beat Georgia we've no business going to a World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well, wales didn't and they could still qualify but it's a handy soundbite.

It'll be a grind no matter what is the point.

Will Scott Hogan be brought in ???

When will the exact squad be announced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Been away so apologies if others have commented about it.

Apparently Oldham are being linked with a loan deal for Jack Byrne. League One strugglers but you would imagine he would be more than able for the league and could improve his reputation big time with the move. Also same league as Wigan would be able to prove himself to them during the season.

Georgia are certainly no world beaters true but they have some quality and have proven a tough side to beat in Tiblisi as Serbia the most talanted team in our group recently found when having to come from behind to beat them. We simply do not have the quality especially in attack to so arrogantly dismiss a team like Georgia away from home. As I said above for me if we can nab the 3 points from Saturdays game over there I will be delighted and it would be a very good result for us to do so.

eire4 wrote: »
    And they have given us a real run for our money in recent meetings including the last one in this campaign in Dublin. I will be absolutely delighted if we find a  way to nab 3 points over there next weekend.

What is the point of this statement? People often say it but to me it sounds like utter nonsense. Doesn't mean anything, it's not insightful, never won any argument, but I guess it usually gets the last word since there is very little leeway in terms of making a reply.

And by the way, in two of the last three World Cup Qualifying campaigns, Georgia have drawn at home to a team that ended up going to the Quarter Finals. I suppose they had no business there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Final Squad has being Announced

Republic of Ireland Squad
    Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday)
    Defenders: Cyrus Christie (Middlesbrough), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley)
    Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), David Meyler (Hull City), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Jonathan Hayes (Celtic), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City)
    Forwards: Jonathan Walters (Burnley), Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Were in real trouble if Christie picks up a booking on Saturday, suppose Meyler would fill in? Think O'Neill will go with the below
    Randolph
    Christie-Duffy-Clark-Ward
    Whelan-Hendrick
    McGeady-Brady-McClean
    Walters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

Were in real trouble if Christie picks up a booking on Saturday, suppose Meyler would fill in? Think O'Neill will go with the below
    Randolph
    Whelan-Hendrick
    McGeady-Brady-McClean
    Walters

No Hendrick. Will prob stick Arter in instead and id say you arent far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Randolph
    Whelan-Hendrick
    McGeady-Brady-McClean
    Walters

Hendrick is out injured.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement