Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

No Hendrick. Will prob stick Arter in instead and id say you arent far off.

God bless your speed. I look like a right Nazi now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

No Hendrick. Will prob stick Arter in instead and id say you arent far off.
    Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Hendrick is out injured.

Missed that news! Yeah Arter in there instead so

Frustrating for O'Kane, groin strain rules him out. He's had a great start to the season, played every minute of every league game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Missed that news! Yeah Arter in there instead so
    Might be Wes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Clayton Rough Sportsman

Will Keane looking to declare for Ireland http://www.the42.ie/will-keane-ireland-3569938-Aug2017/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Will Keane looking to declare for Ireland http://www.the42.ie/will-keane-ireland-3569938-Aug2017/

He could have chosen his words better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Was Will the twin that played underage for us?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Was Will the twin that played underage for us?

Michael Played underage for us till u17 as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

A 24 year old who has scored 4 goals in the championship. I don't think we are that desperate yet.

• Advertisement

Michael Played underage for us till u17 as far as I remember

Under 19 I think it was. The other one wanted to play for his birth country. I just couldn't remember which was which.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd prefer a 45 year old Kevin Doyle than him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

A 24 year old who has scored 4 goals in the championship. I don't think we are that desperate yet.

You are being unfair on him. He has scored 5 goals in his career to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Seanie Maguire should be in the Irish panel. No excuse not to be.
    John O'Shea should have been omitted. He's well past it.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    You are being unfair on him. He has scored 5 goals in his career to date.

Hes spent at least 3 years with knee/leg injuries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hes spent at least 3 years with knee/leg injuries.

This doesn't change the fact that he has scored 5 goals in 58 appearances. He is nowhere near international standard. We are struggling for forwards but this guy is not the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Will Keane
    “They have some good strikers, but I was on their radar before the injury. I am an outside bet but if I can get back scoring goals I would like to think I have a chance,” he said.
    “It is every player’s dream to play in the World Cup. Ireland are doing well in their group so they might make it.”

Sounds like someone not really bothered about us but thinks he may get a free trip to the World Cup.

I used to think he would be a big player (more so than his brother, look how that turned out) but the guy is a 24yo injury prone striker who has never found his feet.

It's a big no from me.
    Feel free to bookmark this for 4 years time when he's regularly scoring for us ;)

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Sounds like someone not really bothered about us but thinks he may get a free trip to the World Cup.

I used to think he would be a big player (more so than his brother, look how that turned out) but the guy is a 24yo injury prone striker who has never found his feet.

It's a big no from me.
    Feel free to bookmark this for 4 years time when he's regularly scoring for us ;)
    Will was better than Michael until his knees started exploding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Will Keane was an exceptional talent underage but those injuries may have taken their toll now.
    He is out injured until November so I doubt he has any hope of going to World Cup but if he gets back 100% and starts scoring goals he can be a good option down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Agreed with both of the above. I thought he had the potential to be a brilliant striker, but never recovered or progressed after his big injury. Played for Ireland previously, changed to England, now looking to change back when he realises he isn't good enough. Like Jack Grealish, no thanks anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We like the name Keane in irish football

I'd like Patrick Bamford to come in too

The more strikers we get the better

• Advertisement

Agreed with both of the above. I thought he had the potential to be a brilliant striker, but never recovered or progressed after his big injury. Played for Ireland previously, changed to England, now looking to change back when he realises he isn't good enough. Like Jack Grealish, no thanks anymore.

Will never played for Ireland he always wanted to play for England. Only Michael played for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would rather bring Conor Sammon back into the team than entertaining the notion of Will Keane being an Irish international. We've already got one injury prone striker who at least knows where the net is and Maguire who'll probably play a big part as time goes on along with a couple of youngsters who have the potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We like the name Keane in irish football

I'd like Patrick Bamford to come in too

The more strikers we get the better

I'd rather have one good striker than a whole heap of lads struggling to keep a place in Championship teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Will Keane thing is not an issue really. It's essentially what MON said and nothing more, yeah why not look at the lad if he gets past his injuries and starts doing well enough to warrant being looked at but as is meh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Kingp35 wrote: »
    This doesn't change the fact that he has scored 5 goals in 58 appearances. He is nowhere near international standard. We are struggling for forwards but this guy is not the answer.
    Sure you get an odd defender with more own goals than that.....

Chastise me if I wrong but was there a period of time when Terry Butcher playing for Rangers was Celtic's top scored against Rangers with own goals.....

I even remember the great Paul McGrath having a bit of a run of own goals once upon a time .

It can go with the territory of being a centre back sometimes........

Did Richard Dunne have the record for own goals?

Would rather bring Conor Sammon back into the team than entertaining the notion of Will Keane being an Irish international. We've already got one injury prone striker who at least knows where the net is and Maguire who'll probably play a big part as time goes on along with a couple of youngsters who have the potential.

I'd say you can join up but at the start of the euros qualifiers - unless a mass injury crisis of forwards and he ends up top scorer in the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Richard Dunne has 10 own goals to his name in club football, Carragher (the next on the list) has 7, both O'Shea and Mcgrath have 4.

Henning Berg used to always pop up with one when it wasn't needed as well.

I guess Dunne and carragher are just the type of defenders that have a natural instinct of throwing themselves or throwing a leg at "hopeless causes" that would have went into the net, regardless. Or maybe that is just being generous! The only "awful" one from Dunne I recall was the Liverpool one.

Most top central defenders would have a fair few own goals to their name, anyway.

I remember hearing that during his whole club career for every 2 goals Rio Ferdinand scored he scored an own goal. Something like that

• Few smiles from Keano yesterday.. :)

Ruud @ 1 billion

Burnley poised to sign Nahki Wells. Thats 4 strikers now at Burnley Walters is competing with. He must regret leaving Stoke. Long is already struggling to get gametime at Southampton. Last thing we need is Walters to suffer the same fate.

• Advertisement

I'd say there's no fear of Walters. Was a regular at Stoke who had better players imo over the last few seasons.

Long could do with getting out of Southampton, even a loan move to the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Walters hasn't started a league game yet ^ It's getting to be a worry alright. We need to start delving deeper into the players ancestry to uncover someone who can score goals at a decent level who might have an Irish nanny.

I'm still pinching myself that we're joined top of this group, a miracle with our bunch of lads.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Walters hasn't started a league game yet ^ It's getting to be a worry alright. We need to start delving deeper into the players ancestry to uncover someone who can score goals at a decent level who might have an Irish nanny.

I'm still pinching myself that we're joined top of this group, a miracle with our bunch of lads.

Only three games in though and hasn't he been carrying a knock. Also strikes me as a player who without even playing week in week out wouldn't faze him that much or that the lack of fitness would be an issue.

He'll also be a couple of months shy of his 35th birthday if Ireland qualify for the world cup and could see him hang up his boots for Ireland next summer so could be time to start planning for life without him too with younger players like Hogan and Maguire plus Callum Robinson if he declared for Ireland.

Wouldn't call it a miracle, the group isnt that tough imo.

No knock as far as I know. He was in the league cup team. And as poster above says with added depth in strikers he won't realistically see me game time now.

All our striking options are grim right now including those you mention.

And while it's not the strongest group our main rivals still have players excelling at the likes of Madrid, Munich and Man United when we're struggling to have a couple of premier league starters. Serbia's team in particular is stronger in every single department. We're punching miles above our weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

And while it's not the strongest group our main rivals still have players excelling at the likes of Madrid, Munich and Man United when we're struggling to have a couple of premier league starters. Serbia's team in particular is stronger in every single department. We're punching miles above our weight.

What we have is a great team rather than a great bunch of individuals.

Some cases it can work very well like that, Iceland being a perfect example last year getting to the Euros and overachieving in the Euros when you have a good collective spirit, similar to what we have now. I use to think Ireland had a squad of Premiership top 10/15 footballers where as now we're more bottom 10, Championship and no disrespect because playing together we're resilient and can grind out results.

Unfortunately, we haven'd had a world class footballer since arguably Roy Keane like Bale is for Madrid, maybe Alaba for Austria & Serbia have a number of starting players well known to big clubs in Europe.

I do think we're overachieving on paper and that's why national teams do under estimate us quite a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What we have is a great team 
    A good team, not a great team Bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Serbia have 1 player, who's played 3 games for United having had a poor season for Chelsea last year. None from Munich or Madrid. The rest play for a hodge podge of teams.

Talk about talking the opposition up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

He was about 50% of the player he was the year previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think to Top the Group we need 6 from this, but I fear it may be 2.

Serbia have a bit of a history of underachieving,no real unity in the squad afaik.

We seem to have a good team spirit and huge work ethic,it makes up somewhat for the lack of real quality in the squad.

4 points from these 2 games is a minimum requirement,6 would put us in the driving seat.
    A draw between Austria and Wales is the best result for us as well .

Serbia have 1 player, who's played 3 games for United having had a poor season for Chelsea last year. None from Munich or Madrid. The rest play for a hodge podge of teams.

I was obviously referring to Wales and Austria, anybody with half a brain would have figured that.

But Serbia do have players dotted around good clubs in Europe such as United and Roma and Schalke and Villarreal, you don't get to those clubs by accident, baring Coleman who is long term injured we don't have a player who could realistically play for a club at that level. Even Serbia's lads who are at a slightly lower level like Tadic and Mitrovic would walk into our side.

I'm not talking them up, they're selection pool is infinitely stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

yabadabado wrote: »
    Serbia have a bit of a history of underachieving,no real unity in the squad afaik.

We seem to have a good team spirit and huge work ethic,it makes up somewhat for the lack of real quality in the squad.

4 points from these 2 games is a minimum requirement,6 would put us in the driving seat.
    A draw between Austria and Wales is the best result for us as well .

Disagree with that. Much more beneficial for us to have an interested Austria and a disinterested Wales. 4 points from the two games and Serbia having to go to Austria who are right behind both of us is a benefit in my eyes. Wales would have nothing to play for in the final game too.

Matic??!!

Bad season last year!!

• Advertisement

Matic??!!

Bad season last year!!

Frighteningly a few lads thanked it as well.

Matic was below his usual performance last season imo.Still a top player and I reckon he will be excellent for Jose again this year.

I was obviously referring to Wales and Austria, anybody with half a brain would have figured that.

Wales have one player in Bale who plays at Madrid and Austria have one player who plays at Munich in Alba, hardly makes both teams world beaters.

In the World Football Elo Ratings we are ranked higher than Serbia, Wales and Austria. Ireland must be doing something right seeing as we've no players at top clubs like Wales and Austria.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Matic was below his usual performance last season imo.Still a top player and I reckon he will be excellent for Jose again this year.

doesn't make it a "bad" season though! Hard to assess him in that line up, granted. Guess Kante outshone him and the formation didn't let him go forward much. Still appeared in almost every game a title winning season.

Never said he had a bad season ,just didn't hit his normal standards.

I thanked the op for the last sentence,which I think we have a very bad habit of doing as Irish fans.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement