Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Wales have one player in Bale who plays at Madrid and Austria have one player who plays at Munich in Alba, hardly makes both teams world beaters.

In the World Football Elo Ratings we are ranked higher than Serbia, Wales and Austria. Ireland must be doing something right seeing as we've no players at top clubs like Wales and Austria.

I'm not being negative here, my original point was that we're over achieving based on our resources in particular not having a striker starting for his club at a decent level. I agree it's largely to do with spirit and good coaching.

But on paper it's definitely the worst squad of the top 4 in our group that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If Matic had a bad season at Chelsea prior to his [font=arial, sans-serif]£40m[/font] move, I wonder how we should assess the seasons of Whelan, McCarthy, Brady and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm not being negative here, my original point was that we're over achieving based on our resources in particular not having a striker starting for his club at a decent level. I agree it's largely to do with spirit and good coaching.

But on paper it's definitely the worst squad of the top 4 in our group that's for sure.

Luckily for us football is played on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Main Irish transfers i seen:
    Towell gone on loan to Rotherham
    Marc Wilson gone to Sunderland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Main Irish transfers i seen:
    Towell gone on loan to Rotherham
    Marc Wilson gone to Sunderland

Forgot about Towell, should get game time there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Serbia have 1 player, who's played 3 games for United having had a poor season for Chelsea last year. None from Munich or Madrid. The rest play for a hodge podge of teams.

Talk about talking the opposition up.

David Alaba, Austria and Bayern
    Gareth Bale, Wales and Madrid
    Nemanja Matic, Serbia and Man United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

David Alaba, Austria and Bayern
    Gareth Bale, Wales and Madrid
    Nemanja Matic, Serbia and Man United

Compare that too the irish squad travelling to Georgia out of 24 players only 8 players play in Top football league's (7 English premiership and 1 Scottish premiership), the rest play in the first divsion

We don't have that one world class star many international teams have. Will we produce one in the next few years ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Compare that too the irish squad travelling to Georgia out of 24 players only 8 players play in Top football league's (7 English premiership and 1 Scottish premiership), the rest play in the first divsion

We don't have that one world class star many international teams have. Will we produce one in the next few years ????

But we've a Roy Keane up their arse. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yes we do. Coleman is just as good as any right back out there, was in his prime and could play for virtually any club in the world. That leg break scuppered the move he would have gotten in the summer.

If you look at the right back for virtually every international side out there.....ours is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes we do. Coleman is just as good as any right back out there, was in his prime and could play for virtually any club in the world. That leg break scuppered the move he would have gotten in the summer.

If you look at the right back for virtually every international side out there.....ours is better.

Don't really see this myself, yes he has always been a good reliable player but i wouldn't say coleman is world class, he has been prone to make a few mistakes through his time at everton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

FFS, talk about being blinkered...

Win, lose, or draw tomorrow...this is likely to be an ugly watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd say Coleman is one of the better right backs in Europe. Or at least was pre-election break.

The influence a right back can have is far more limited than an Alaba or Bale though.

Lads, I love Coleman. He's undoubtedly a good player. Our best player. But let's not go overboard.

Dion Fanning asked Ancelotti if Bayern would consider Coleman as a replacement for Lahm, and Ancelotti laughed at the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Win, lose, or draw tomorrow...this is likely to be an ugly watch.

I don't know. I think (by and large) we've had big improvements in away performances since we last played Georgia.

I have a feeling it will be a controlled, comfortable and clinical win. There won't be a glut of goals, but I don't think we'll ever feel seriously troubled.

My worry is Serbia and our negative, uninspired performances we produce at the Aviva. As per usual, I think our Georgia performance will lull us into a false sense of optimism....again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

FFS, talk about being blinkered...

FFS talk about an inferiority complex...

Most of our team is full of limited players and journeymen. Coleman is not one of them.

Lads, I love Coleman. He's undoubtedly a good player. Our best player. But let's not go overboard.

Dion Fanning asked Ancelotti if Bayern would consider Coleman as a replacement for Lahm, and Ancelotti laughed at the suggestion.

I don't see why it's funny tbh. He isn't Lahm in his peak but he is excellent.

I doubt Ancelotti knows anything much about Coleman and that is no smear on Coleman.

Asking a top manager about a fullback in a top 6-8 club in a league they haven't managed in for years and you probably won't get a very informed opinion.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I don't know. I think (by and large) we've had big improvements in away performances since we last played Georgia.

I have a feeling it will be a controlled, comfortable and clinical win. There won't be a glut of goals, but I don't think we'll ever feel seriously troubled.

My worry is Serbia and our negative, uninspired performances we produce at the Aviva. As per usual, I think our Georgia performance will lull us into a false sense of optimism....again.

Really?

I thought the Serbia and Moldova performances were pretty dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It will be dire viewing but I not bothered about performances, at this stage stage it's all about getting the right result.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

FFS talk about an inferiority complex...

Most of our team is full of limited players and journeymen. Coleman is not one of them.

It's not inferiority. It's being realistic. I didn't say he was a journeyman. He's a good player. He's not world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

This game is gonna be septic looking. I can only remember 1 comfortable win against them and that was the 2-0 in Germany when lets be honest the Georgian players minds were elsewhere.

major bill wrote: »
    This game is gonna be septic looking. I can only remember 1 comfortable win against them and that was the 2-0 in Germany when lets be honest the Georgian players minds were elsewhere.

Even that was 2-1.

Made nervy by a late goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Whatever about Colenan being world class or not, he's injured anyways.
    but he is probably the closest we have to somebody who will drive us on, and get us over the line v the likes of Georgia.

I wonder will Whelan be captain again.

Having the likes of a Matic, Bale or Alaba would be a big help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

noodler wrote: »
    Even that was 2-1.

Made nervy by a late goal.

I stand corrected, forgot they scored that day

Whatever about Colenan being world class or not, he's injured anyways.
    but he is probably the closest we have to somebody who will drive us on, and get us over the line v the likes of Georgia.

I wonder will Whelan be captain again.

Having the likes of a Matic, Bale or Alaba would be a big help.

Interestingly...........I tend to agree with you there. Cleverly reasoned point! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Not disagreeing with your point but hes defo better than Rafinha, so do we really trust Carlo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It can be as ugly as it likes once we win tomorrow and can we have another 3 points on Tuesday cheers. I think we will do well to get 4 though sadly

My gut tells me 2 draws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Wales playing Austria tomorrow in Cardiff. A draw or an Austrian victory leaves us in a very strong position.

Provided we beat Georgia.

Did not realise that Georgia are missing arguably their best 2 players tomorrow night. Bit more hope.

any word on Walters injury?

• Advertisement

It can be as ugly as it likes once we win tomorrow and can we have another 3 points on Tuesday cheers. I think we will do well to get 4 though sadly

My gut tells me 2 draws

Really your gut? Or just old fashioned Irish pessimism, with a bit of reverse psychology?

Threads on here are almost carbon copies leading up to games, unless we're playing the big guns of international football and we seem to be ponetial world beaters for some reason.

We'll beat Georgia regardless. And if O'Neill puts out the right team, playing positive football, I think we'll beat them too. If we're served up the same sh!te we've seen at Aviva this term, then God knows the result, but we won't win.

Did not realise that Georgia are missing arguably their best 2 players tomorrow night. Bit more hope.
    Positivity has reached all time lows if your getting  a bit of "hope" from Georgia missing injured players. We should be beating Georgia every week with their best available squad, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

My gut tells me 2 draws
    Good. I'd be worried if you predicted we'd win both games. You tend to be overly pessimistic in your predictions for Ireland under MON. I think we'll pick up 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Took part in training today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Positivity has reached all time lows if your getting  a bit of "hope" from Georgia missing injured players. We should be beating Georgia every week with their best available squad, end of.

The problem isn't Georgia playing their best available squad.

The problem is, is that we rarely play ours

Rikand wrote: »
    The problem isn't Georgia playing their best available squad.

The problem is, is that we rarely play ours

Spot on. If it's not personnel, it's style or our approach to games. We bring on so much of the heart ache ourselves. There are lesser teams that excel against us not because they can, but because we allow them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Which 2 players they missing ?
    Should be beating them anyways but we did find it hard to break them down in LR.iirc they had one or two decent chances as well.

What are people actually talking about? Our record vs teams like Georgia is close to flawless.

Our squad is fairly rubbish and we're joined top of our World Cup qualification group and people still don't think management are getting team selections right? Not sure what they have to do to get credit.

We play a style that best suits our chances of getting points, it fairly hard to watch but that won't stop the Aviva from selling out next week. If we played free flowing stuff at the expense of results and were out of contention for qualification the stadium would be half empty.

What are people actually talking about? Our record vs teams like Georgia is close to flawless.

Our squad is fairly rubbish and we're joined top of our World Cup qualification group and people still don't think management are getting team selections right? Not sure what they have to do to get credit.

We play a style that best suits our chances of getting points, it fairly hard to watch but that won't stop the Aviva from selling out next week. If we played free flowing stuff at the expense of results and we're out of contention for qualification the stadium would be half empty.

Who said that?

Who said that?

You said lesser teams excel against us. Perhaps in possession stats but not in results.

• Advertisement

Really your gut? Or just old fashioned Irish pessimism, with a bit of reverse psychology?

Threads on here are almost carbon copies leading up to games, unless we're playing the big guns of international football and we seem to be ponetial world beaters for some reason.

We'll beat Georgia regardless. And if O'Neill puts out the right team, playing positive football, I think we'll beat them too. If we're served up the same sh!te we've seen at Aviva this term, then God knows the result, but we won't win.

Bar maybe Austria away we have not played well in any game and we should have not got 3 points at home to Georgia. This is away. Your post is weird in that you're having a go at what I said, but your're not even sure how it will go yourself.

Whats that all about?

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Good. I'd be worried if you predicted we'd win both games. You tend to be overly pessimistic in your predictions for Ireland under MON. I think we'll pick up 6.

Yes cause we got 6 points from Wales and Austria at home and were far better then both sides.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Presumably Dion Fanning is Irish? If so, are you sure Carlo was not laughing in a way as though to show how obvious the question was. 'Hey Carlo I'm Irish, what do you think of Coleman?'

I doubt he would be laughing as if to insult any player. He seems to be a class act and a gentleman in a game with few gentlemen; he doesn't go out of his way to humiliate people. I expect you interpreted it completely wrong.

Coleman is not the best right back in the world by any means, but top clubs can, and have done a lot worse. He is a very talented player.

We play a style that best suits our chances of getting points, it fairly hard to watch but that won't stop the Aviva from selling out next week. If we played free flowing stuff at the expense of results and were out of contention for qualification the stadium would be half empty.
    Not sure it's about style of play. I'm a big supporter of MON from his Celtic managerial days. However sometimes the attitude isn't right. Attitude is the wrong word, the attitude is usually fine, more the mindset.

I saw us v Uruguay and I know it was a friendly and Uruguay didn't look to bothered but we looked positive and really confident. I was very confident that we'd beat Austria a few days later but we were flat and took forever to get going. We weren't nervous v Austria just didn't look up for it from the start.

When we did get going we looked like we were capable of steamrolling them and if the game had another few minutes in it we'd definitely have won.

I suppose it's hard to get the timing right in these games especially when playing two matches in close succession. However against a team like Georgia if we get at them and score early doors they don't get a chance to grow into the game. Ideally a couple of early goals then close the game down and reserve energy for the Serbian game. Against Serbia get stuck right into them from the first whistle.

Yes cause we got 6 points from Wales and Austria at home and were far better then both sides.:rolleyes:
    The point against Wales was a good point. We should've beat Austria, we were a much better team than them.

Keep up the negativity anyway, like i said I'd be concerned if you were any different.

The point against Wales was a good point. We should've beat Austria, we were a much better team than them.

Keep up the negativity anyway, like i said I'd be concerned if you were any different.

Ya cause your're always right.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Im off to the game, enjoy from the barstool

Ya cause your're always right.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Im off to the game, enjoy from the barstool
    Ya:rolleyes:, I won't be on a barstool.

Eh no I was wrong about the Austria result, thought that was a nailed on 3 points. Stay negative cute hoor

He was just honest and blunt to the point, hence the laughter from the fellow journalists.

I wouldn't take it as meaning he or the journalists are making a mockery of the guy. I don't think Coleman would look out of place at any Champions League team to be honest.

He isn't a world beater but most definitely one of the top 3/4 right backs in league at present. So no reason he couldn't fit in a Champ League squad

Is Kimmich all that better than him???

https://twitter.com/AffariDiCalcio/status/838855813225660417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.joe.ie%2Fsport%2Fwatch-carlo-ancelotti-response-asked-seamus-coleman-transfer-caused-lot-laughter-580325

Ya:rolleyes:, I won't be on a barstool.

Eh no I was wrong about the Austria result, thought that was a nailed on 3 points. Stay negative cute hoor

see not that hard is it.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

keep it lit.

• Advertisement

He was just honest and blunt to the point, hence the laughter from the fellow journalists.

I wouldn't take it as meaning he or the journalists are making a mockery of the guy. I don't think Coleman would look out of place at any Champions League team to be honest.

He isn't a world beater but most definitely one of the top 3/4 right backs in league at present. So no reason he couldn't fit in a Champ League squad

Is Kimmich all that better than him???

https://twitter.com/AffariDiCalcio/status/838855813225660417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.joe.ie%2Fsport%2Fwatch-carlo-ancelotti-response-asked-seamus-coleman-transfer-caused-lot-laughter-580325
    Why was Fanning asking him that question out of the blue anyway?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement