Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Enjoy the game lads next time I'm on here we will have 3 points in the bag and getting ready to take 3 more from Serbia.Tbilisi should be rocking by now.
    COYBIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why was Fanning asking him that question out of the blue anyway?

Why not? Lahm retired a few months back and filling the void was a huge talking point. These are the sort of questions that come up in press conferences. It is not as if the game was on a knife edge going into that second leg so i imagine there was f all else to really talk about!

Coleman was being linked to Bayern in the press at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

see not that hard is it.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

keep it lit.
    Keep it lit, no bother. You keep it negative, it usually works a treat.

What were your predictions v Wales and Austria btw, be honest now. You probably predicted a Wales win didn't ya.

Why not? Lahm retired a few months back and filling the void was a huge talking point. These are the sort of questions that come up in press conferences. It is not as if the game was on a knife edge going into that second leg so i imagine there was f all else to really talk about!

Ancelotti was Bayern Munich manager, what game was it?

Ancelotti was Bayern Munich manager, what game was it?

The second leg of Arsenal and Bayern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Keep it lit, no bother. You keep it negative, it usually works a treat.

What were your predictions v Wales and Austria btw, be honest now. You probably predicted a Wales win didn't ya.

Draw.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

chat when we get back. x x x x x x x

P.S hope you're right with your predictions:D.

The second leg of Arsenal and Bayern
    He didn't do Seamus Coleman any favours there did he by firing a question at him out of the blue like that

He didn't do Seamus Coleman any favours there did he by firing a question at him out of the blue like that

why so?! He is not his agent!

This is journalism!

Draw.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

chat when we get back. x x x x x x x

P.S hope you're right with your predictions:D.

Yeah, you better cover yourself there just in case.

If I'm on the barstool btw my glass will be half full.

why so?! He is not his agent!

This is journalism!
    Not great journalism to fire a question at him out of the blue like that, it's no wonder people laughed at his reaction. Ancelotti might have heard of Coleman perhaps but wouldn't be that aware of him. At Chelsea perhaps was the only time he would've come across him directly.

• Advertisement

Not great journalism to fire a question at him out of the blue like that, it's no wonder people laughed at his reaction. Ancelotti might have heard of Coleman perhaps but wouldn't be that aware of him. At Chelsea perhaps was the only time he would've come across him directly.

How do you think press conferences go ??? I mean, this is where journalists ask questions regarding the team. It is not very often English or Irish journalists would be at a Bayern press conference so seems like the ideal time to ask a question about a rumour in the press

And, yeah, as a top manager who managed a PL team for 2 years, when Coleman was having that fantastic first season, I reckon he heard of him alright

Jose Mourinho was asked about him every second press conference last year!

How do you think press conferences go ??? I mean, this is where journalists ask questions regarding the team. It is not very often English or Irish journalists would be at a Bayern press conference so seems like the ideal time to ask a question about a rumour in the press

And, yeah, as a top manager who managed a PL team for 2 years, when Coleman was having that fantastic first season, I reckon he heard of him alright

Anyway. Whenever Coleman comes back I hope he moves to a CL side. Shay Given in his prime stayed too long at Newcastle for example, Coleman could be playing at a bigger club.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The point against Wales was a good point. We should've beat Austria, we were a much better team than them.

Keep up the negativity anyway, like i said I'd be concerned if you were any different.

The point against Wales was not a good point and showed up MON's negativity. We should have rammed that game home but we didn't have the stones to go for it. I won't complain yet as his style may still see us qualify, but there's definitely 2 points dropped in that game by not having a go.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The point against Wales was not a good point and showed up MON's negativity. We should have rammed that game home but we didn't have the stones to go for it. I won't complain yet as his style may still see us qualify, but there's definitely 2 points dropped in that game by not having a go.
    Would disagree with that. Wales were up for that one as it was maybe their last chance to get back into the Group, they remain out of reach of a qualifying spot. I think we managed that game well enough.

Austria at home was a game we should have won and would have won if we were more positive form the start.

Yeah, you better cover yourself there just in case.

If I'm on the barstool btw my glass will be half full.

Normally you buy full glass:pac:

Normally you buy full glass:pac:
    You're gas

You're gas

Cheers

Cheers
    Glass half empty

Glass half empty

No im not stupid I buy full one's, its called a pint:pac:

No im not stupid I buy full one's, its called a pint:pac:
    it's a figure of speech barstooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Presumably Dion Fanning is Irish? If so, are you sure Carlo was not laughing in a way as though to show how obvious the question was. 'Hey Carlo I'm Irish, what do you think of Coleman?'

I doubt he would be laughing as if to insult any player. He seems to be a class act and a gentleman in a game with few gentlemen; he doesn't go out of his way to humiliate people. I expect you interpreted it completely wrong.

Coleman is not the best right back in the world by any means, but top clubs can, and have done a lot worse. He is a very talented player.

He laughed at him and said "No." How would you interpret that?

it's a figure of speech barstooler.

Dont be mocking yourself. Enjoy the match with half a pint in hand:pac:

Dont be mocking yourself. Enjoy the match with half a pint in hand:pac:
    Half full not half empty, like yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's not inferiority. It's being realistic. I didn't say he was a journeyman. He's a good player. He's not world class.

Alaba and Matic aren't world class either though. Both great players, but not world class.

It's not inferiority. It's being realistic. I didn't say he was a journeyman. He's a good player. He's not world class.
    What's world class in your terms?

Would you say Coleman is good enough for a CL team, a top 4 team in the league he is in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

However they should go, they definitely shouldn't be an opportunity for every journalist to try and flog their own country's stars.

Bit embarrassing tbh.

I don't remember the Bayern rumours but I'm not doubting you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm worried about this Georgia game. I keep thinking back to the last qualifying campaign and how we needed that late bit of McGeady magic. Also Scotland stumbled away to them as well.

If we drop points and Wales win this will be a very depressing weekend. I would worry that Walters will lack the necessary fitness to have an impact. When he's not at 100 per cent he tends to fade from games. We need someone to step up in a big way tomorrow. Maybe Brady will be the one since he seems to be in good form for Burnley. I'd take a 1-0 gladly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

gustafo wrote: »
    Kirby wrote: »
    Yes we do. Coleman is just as good as any right back out there, was in his prime and could play for virtually any club in the world. That leg break scuppered the move he would have gotten in the summer.

If you look at the right back for virtually every international side out there.....ours is better.

Don't really see this myself, yes he has always been a good reliable player but i wouldn't say coleman is world class, he has been prone to make a few mistakes through his time at everton.

He is world class for Ireland. For me by far and away our best and most influential player both in defense and attack.

But Everton & Ireland play a traditional setup with 4 at the back, most top clubs would want to see how he plays as a wing back before buying him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Me nerves, always feel Georgia is a slip up waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fancy us 2-0, we always play better against the minnows away from home.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Anyway. Whenever Coleman comes back I hope he moves to a CL side. Shay Given in his prime stayed too long at Newcastle for example, Coleman could be playing at a bigger club.

Always felt that worked for us from an Irish perspective; awful defence at Newcastle meant a lot of great practice for Given.

I predict a nervy 1-0 away win. We should take 3 points but, as always, we'll make things difficult for ourselves. The squad has the experience to get it done though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm expecting a dodgy enough, cagey performance.

The important thing is the 3pts, don't care how we get them.

I feel we have a slip-up in us before the campaign is over though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If a champions league club had wanted Given it wouldn't have been that hard to pry him away from Newcastle......Good and all as Given was for us the Top clubs ( champions league ) did not rate him as good enough .

He had very poor distribution with his feet . He was not great on Cross's and he was a bit small for a top goalie....

Other than that he was brilliant........:P

He was probably better than many of the Arsenal goalkeepers during those years mind.... Wenger is a funny auld fella........

noodler wrote: »
    However they should go, they definitely shouldn't be an opportunity for every journalist to try and flog their own country's stars.

Bit embarrassing tbh.

I don't remember the Bayern rumours but I'm not doubting you.

Journalist writing for Irish paper in shock "press" conference question regarding something Irish newspaper readers may be interested in reading.

If it was a British journalist asking the question would it be OK.

FFS, how in God's name was he flogging him. He was questioning a rumour that had emerged to the one person who could answer this rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Me nerves, always feel Georgia is a slip up waiting to happen.

We have rode our luck big time in the last few games against them.
    Unfortunately for themOkriashvili is injured. probably their best player. He scored that belter against Ireland a few years ago. & against Wales.....and Spain, who they beat in Spain!
    But they have a "new kinkladze" giorgi arabidze. You heard it here first!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Alaba and Matic aren't world class either though. Both great players, but not world class.

:rolleyes: You are hilarious buddy
    Alaba 3 times world team of the year isnt world class :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Journalist writing for Irish paper in shock "press" conference question regarding something Irish newspaper readers may be interested in reading.

If it was a British journalist asking the question would it be OK.

FFS, how in God's name was he flogging him. He was questioning a rumour that had emerged to the one person who could answer this rumour.

Manager needs player in certain position.

Cue 20 journalists from 20 countries asking about potential for signing players from their own country.

Fairly quickly descend into farce.

As I say, I don't recall any significant Bayern rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes we do. Coleman is just as good as any right back out there, was in his prime and could play for virtually any club in the world. That leg break scuppered the move he would have gotten in the summer.

If you look at the right back for virtually every international side out there.....ours is better.

The move that has been talked about for the past 4 summers and never materialised? Look, Coleman's my favourite player, but it's a stretch to say he's as good as there is in that position.

People are also forgetting Wales have the likes of Williams at Everton, Davies at Spurs and Ramsey at Arsenal. They have a much more talented squad than we do.

The point against Wales was a good point. We should've beat Austria, we were a much better team than them.

Keep up the negativity anyway, like i said I'd be concerned if you were any different.

We should have beaten Austria at home?! Did you watch the match? We were dire and they just passed the ball around with ease until the last 20 minutes blood and thunder stuff.

noodler wrote: »
    Manager needs player in certain position.

Cue 20 journalists from 20 countries asking about potential for signing players from their own country.

Fairly quickly descend into farce.

As I say, I don't recall any significant Bayern rumours.

Not what happened but anyway, odd logic using hyperbole to make your point........

"farce" :D

Type Coleman/Bayern into google, you will see a plethora of media articles about the topic. In fact he was first linked with them in 2015 when Pep was in charge. So it was quite smart and relieving for Fanning to put the rumours to bed once and for all.
    That is how journalism works.

Personally I never bought into it, not that it wasn't beyond realistic in any stretch of the imagination, I personally thought there wasn't much substance to it, but many many did. I guess I try to ignore speculation on transfers these days as it gets out of hand with social networking.

Mourinho was questioned many a time in press conferences about coleman, would you call that a farce! Or is it just because the journalists asking him weren't Irish!

• Advertisement

Yeah, by the likes of Fanning probably. It was a stupid question to ask.

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah, by the likes of Fanning probably. It was a stupid question to ask.

Sure you can say that about 75% of press conference questions querying transfer interests/speculation if that is your logic then.

Anyway. Enough said. Silly debate. You think it was a stupid question, I think it was what it was, a typical press conference query that had the desired result of ending speculation that had been floating around for a long time.

Seems to me that the whole "stupidity" and "embarrassing" issue is that it was an Irish journalist asking him.

No point continuing this merry go round of "I am right, you are wrong" !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm worried about this Georgia game. I keep thinking back to the last qualifying campaign and how we needed that late bit of McGeady magic. Also Scotland stumbled away to them as well.

If we drop points and Wales win this will be a very depressing weekend. I would worry that Walters will lack the necessary fitness to have an impact. When he's not at 100 per cent he tends to fade from games. We need someone to step up in a big way tomorrow. Maybe Brady will be the one since he seems to be in good form for Burnley. I'd take a 1-0 gladly.

We've played Georgia 8 times. We've beat Georgia 8 times.

You'd swear they were our bogey team the way some people go on.

blinding wrote: »
    If a champions league club had wanted Given it wouldn't have been that hard to pry him away from Newcastle......Good and all as Given was for us the Top clubs ( champions league ) did not rate him as good enough .

He had very poor distribution with his feet . He was not great on Cross's and he was a bit small for a top goalie....

Other than that he was brilliant........:P

He was probably better than many of the Arsenal goalkeepers during those years mind.... Wenger is a funny auld fella........
    I was under the impression that he was happy to stay at Newcastle and turned down offers from bigger clubs. Similar to Coleman who seems to be prepared to be loyal to Everton. I wish he wouldn't do that and if a bigger club offers him a chance that he takes it. Don't think we'll see him till the end of this year, hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

fullstop wrote: »
    We should have beaten Austria at home?! Did you watch the match? We were dire and they just passed the ball around with ease until the last 20 minutes blood and thunder stuff.
    I did watch the match. My point was we didn't perform on the day, we didn't get going until late in the game. When we did get going and attacked them they didn't look like capable of keeping us out at all.

We've played Georgia 8 times. We've beat Georgia 8 times.

You'd swear they were our bogey team the way some people go on.

I think it's fair enough to question if we can win again today.
    We were completely outplayed in Lansdowne and the last time we were in Tblisi it took a last minute wonder goal from McGeady to win it.
    We will do very well to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

We were completely outplayed in Lansdowne and the last time we were in Tblisi it took a last minute wonder goal from McGeady to win it.

:confused::confused::confused:

8 from 8, when do we ever blow teams away, a win is a win is a win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes indeed. We have the hex on them. Another 3 points today :D

:confused::confused::confused:

8 from 8, when do we ever blow teams away, a win is a win is a win

Ireland can't expect to keep winning if we let the opposition shoot more often then we do.
    & you're right we NEVER blow average teams away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

No wes again. Im happy with results but O Neill reminds me of Traps tactics long ball for walters to knock down only play with ball on ground when its to late

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement