Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Why would Ireland want LVG?

All the possession we'd have and he'd keep the ball on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why would Ireland want LVG?

I'd rather Stephen Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

pjohnson wrote: »
    All the possession we'd have and he'd keep the ball on the floor.

You're obviously part of the club that only sees black and white footballing tactics.

Any attempt to pass (keep) the ball, even for short periods = BARCELONA!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Are we really doing the now annual 'we don't have the players to play like Barcelona so we can't keep more possession' wheel of repeating. It's kinda like Eurovision but slightly more annoying.

We should be doing a whole lot better with the ball instructionally and keeping it more. I think that's all most people are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only in the door form the game.

Wow how bad was that. It was pathetic against Serbia and Georgia and I thought it could not get any worse but it has.

A utter disgrace and MON should be fooking lambasted for this. The fans inside the stadium were even as annoyed and its clear that even his followers have turned on what has been a utter shambles of last 3 games.

It was the worst I have ever witnessed and we actually robbed Geogia of 3 points.

Thankfully most know what a medieval manger he is now. He has run out of lives.

• Advertisement

You're obviously part of the club that only sees black and white footballing tactics.

Any attempt to pass (keep) the ball, even for short periods = BARCELONA!!!

When you see other people calling our tactics "prehistoric" "medievil" and spouting the old rubbish of "thats not football" they clearly envision some sort of total pepball nonsense. Yesterday was bad but you have the same auld people copy pasting the same auld nonsense after every match, win, draw or lose they only care we had more possession. Always the same posters. They probably take more pleasure when we dont win as it gives their rambling a bit more relevance.

When you see other people calling our tactics "prehistoric" "medievil" and spouting the old rubbish of "thats not football" they clearly envision some sort of total pepball nonsense. Yesterday was bad but you have the same auld people copy pasting the same auld nonsense after every match, win, draw or lose they only care we had more possession. Always the same posters. They probably take more pleasure when we dont win as it gives their rambling a bit more relevance.

Once again, you've proved my point.

prehistoric/medieval --> pepball nonsense.

Black & white out look on football tactics. How about something in between? Or even less than in between?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Wow how bad was that. It was pathetic against Serbia and Georgia and I thought it could not get any worse but it has.

A utter disgrace and MON should be fooking lambasted for this. The fans inside the stadium were even as annoyed and its clear that even his followers have turned on what has been a utter shambles of last 3 games.

It was the worst I have ever witnessed and we actually robbed Geogia of 3 points.

He's not paid to pander to imbecilic fans who throw the toys at the first sign of a bad result in a competitive game thankfully. He's paid to deliver results and has done above and beyond what would be expected for a squad of our weakness, and again has us well in the mix for another major tournament.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He's not paid to pander to imbecilic fans who throw the toys at the first sign of a bad result in a competitive game thankfully. He's paid to deliver results and has done above and beyond what would be expected for a squad of our weakness, and again has us well in the mix for another major tournament.

Is this your first time watching Ireland?

Once again, you've proved my point.

prehistoric/medieval --> pepball nonsense.

Black & white out look on football tactics. How about something in between? Or even less than in between?
    Of course theres an inbetween. The possessionheads struggle to comprehend this along with the rule that goals win games. Shane Long didn't score against Germany from a 4-5 pass move. It was a hoof from Randolph. Long ball tactics isn't "prehistoric" it clearly still has a place in modern football. Watch West Brom in the PL any match this year. People seem to miss this in their desire to avoid "prehistoric" "not football".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Straw.

Man.

Of course theres an inbetween. The possessionheads struggle to comprehend this along with the rule that goals win games. Shane Long didn't score against Germany from a 4-5 pass move. It was a hoof from Randolph. Long ball tactics isn't "prehistoric" it clearly still has a place in modern football. Watch West Brom in the PL any match this year. People seem to miss this in their desire to avoid "prehistoric" "not football".

I'll accept Ireland playing long ball, if they do it right. You need midfielders breaking forward to help the striker. You need to press the opposition.

Last night was just hoofing the ball forward. Hit and hope. End of. That's not a tactic.

Is this your first time watching Ireland?

On pure result basis this is the only result in his reign in competitive games you'd describe as bad. But he has had way more where we've punched above our limitations and got results we really ought not have. Any other conclusion and you're living in a world of delusion about our squad talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

On pure result basis this is the only result in his reign in competitive games you'd describe as bad. But he has had way more where we've punched above our limitations and got results we really ought not have. Any other conclusion and you're living in a world of delusion about our squad talent.

He has not punched above any expectations. We are a laughing stock to watch. It was so bad even the Georgia fans were laughing. He just lucky Serbia and Georgia could not finish their dinner last year.

He has not punched above any expectations. We are a laughing stock to watch. It was so bad even the Georgia fans were laughing. He just lucky Serbia and Georgia could not finish their dinner last year.

Georgia have little to laugh about. They always play nice football but they're second last on 4 points. We're second with a decent chance of qualification due to MON's shrewdness against superior sides like Austria Wales and Serbia. We conceded the least goals in a group with Germany and Poland the last campaign and we've conceded the least in this group so far. His ultra negative tactics are poor on the eye but over a large sample of games which is the only thing he should be judged on it reaps rewards.

Georgia have little to laugh about. They're second last on 4 points. We're second with a decent chance of qualification due to MON's shrewdness against superior sides like Austria Wales and Serbia. We conceded the least goals in a group with Germany and Poland the last campaign and we've conceded the least in this group so far. His ultra negative tactics are poor on the eye but over a large sample of games which is the only thing he should be judged on it reaps rewards.

If we win Tuesday ( its big if but never know), then its still all to play for. Its **** or bust now.

I disagree though on your view his tactics reap rewards as 3 points from 3 games is 5th seed return, hence why we are in a position from looking really good to, 1 last chance against Serbia scenario.

Im sorry but this punched above weight nonsense is just that, nonsense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Drop Long put Walters up top and McGeady right.

Arter offers nothing despite the hype like McCarthy drop him for Meyler.

Or maybe be positive and drop Whelan for Meyler

You don't have to apologise to me for your bad opinions or lack of knowledge of relative squad qualities in our group, I don't care haha.

Well its the truth. Its in black and white and for all to see.

Edit: I love how you dont care about my opinion but still replied. Another guy who cant defend him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Georgia have little to laugh about. They always play nice football but they're second last on 4 points. We're second with a decent chance of qualification due to MON's shrewdness against superior sides like Austria Wales and Serbia. We conceded the least goals in a group with Germany and Poland the last campaign and we've conceded the least in this group so far. His ultra negative tactics are poor on the eye but over a large sample of games which is the only thing he should be judged on it reaps rewards.

I don't think that many sensible people have issue with negative tactics against sides that are better than us, but we weren't playing Serbia, Austria, or Wales yesterday, it was fecking Georgia. It was a great chance to put us in a good position going into the last three games, and it was wasted by constant hoofing the ball up the park. When we actually tried to play a bit towards the end we nearly grabbed a winner.

I don't think that many sensible people have issue with negative tactics against sides that are better than us, but we weren't playing Serbia, Austria, or Wales yesterday, it was fecking Georgia. It was a great chance to put us in a good position going into the last three games, and it was wasted by constant hoofing the ball up the park. When we actually tried to play a bit towards the end we nearly grabbed a winner.

Yeah but we always play similar against these sides, were 100% against Georgia and Gibraltar last campaign and had two wins against Georgia and Moldova in this one. Was the first failure playing this way against an inferior side, and imo partly due to lack of game fitness of Walters and Long which is beyond Martin's control. We were also just poor in general, happens to all good teams from time to time whether positive negative tactics.

What we need is the crowd to be fully behind them on Tuesday and not let this bad feeling towards MON be heard on the pitch during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Yeah but we always play similar against these sides, were 100% against Georgia and Gibraltar last campaign and had two wins against Georgia and Moldova in this one. Was the first failure playing this way against an inferior side, and imo partly due to lack of game fitness of Walters and Long which is beyond Martin's control. We were also just poor in general, happens to all good teams from time to time whether positive negative tactics.

What we need is the crowd to be fully behind them on Tuesday and not let this bad feeling towards MON be heard on the pitch during the game.

The crowd is obviously going to be fully behind them on Tuesday. The atmosphere will be electric. It's Germany at home all over again.

Even Serbia, Austria and Wales are at best second tier sides.

Sigh.

If people really celebrate points against them as being the best that could have been expected then why do they want to get to a world cup?

What do they expect will happen in a playoff if we got a top tier nation like Italy?

We say horses for courses tactics wise but now some lumping our group rivals in with world powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The crowd is obviously going to be fully behind them on Tuesday. The atmosphere will be electric. It's Germany at home all over again.

Not sure about that tbh. I go to all the home games, the crowd in the Aviva will get very cranky very quickly if its another 90 minutes of what we saw last night.

give up, you're making a tit of yourself defending him.

give up, you're making a tit of yourself defending him.

And what you think you are coming across as a genius? The same drivel that gets posted about him after every match. Much smarts. Very good.

And what you think you are coming across as a genius? The same drivel that gets posted about him after every match. Much smarts. Very good.

Don't be silly. But it was awful to watch and we have blown away or chance at top spot. We have bottled it, or should I say O Neill.

Just cause you don't like the truth been told it that's your tough ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

An disgrace so it is.

• Advertisement

Don't be silly. But it was awful to watch and we have blown away or chance at top spot. We have bottled it, or should I say O Neill.

And this character is claiming he went to the match. LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The thing is, this sheepish attitude the team gets when we need people to get their foot on the ball and command possession existed under Trap aswell.

When you have Whelan & McCarthy in the team, this attitude will fester because we do not have central midfielders that want to receive a pass. Need players who's instinct is to look for a pass and make a pass. football basics but this Ireland team struggle with the basics unless they have something to chase.

Dempsey wrote: »
    The thing is, this sheepish attitude the team gets when we need people to get their foot on the ball and command possession existed under Trap aswell.

When you have Whelan & McCarthy in the team, this attitude will fester because we do not have central midfielders that want to receive a pass. Need players who's instinct is to look for a pass and make a pass. football basics but this Ireland team struggle with the basics unless they have something to chase.
    What's your prediction for Tuesday? I think we'll win.

We probably would have never have been in that position in the first place were it not for MON. Can you not comprehend that? Or do you think with a more forward thinking manager we'd be ripping this group up with our bunch of talentless lads. You're probably one of those that was giving Mcgregor a good chance last week too, someone who can't leave emotion out of things and see them for how they are.

We're ahead of a side with a former premier league player of the year, who gives absolutely everything for his country. They also have players starting for Spurs and Arsenal and Everton regularly. They brought on a kid who absolutely tore it up in the last 20 mins. I genuinely can't remember the last time a young player came through for us that got me excited, probably Duff which was nearly 20 years ago.

We probably would have never have been in that position in the first place were it not for MON. Can you not comprehend that? Or do you think with a more forward thinking manager we'd be ripping this group up with our bunch of talentless lads.

Your strawman posts just keep on coming.

noodler wrote: »
    Your strawman posts just keep on coming.

You'll have a nice thatch roof soon. Everything is straw unless its against MON.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

tigger123 wrote: »
    Not sure about that tbh. I go to all the home games, the crowd in the Aviva will get very cranky very quickly if its another 90 minutes of what we saw last night.

Well we probably will have to do a fair amount of defending and will have less of the ball then the Serbs I would imagine. Can't say I am optimistic not just because of the Georgia performance but flat out I just do not see us being good enough to beat Serbia. A draw maybe but I do not see us winning the game. I really hope I am way off base but not just Georgia but our last few performances in this qualifying campaign have all been at best mediocre.

You'll have a nice thatch roof soon. Everything is straw unless its against MON.

No one is saying we would be "ripping it up".

Anyone arguing Ireland are capable of attacking football are labelled deluded.

Yet the same people argue MON is a tactical genius compared to Trap.

eire4 wrote: »
    Well we probably will have to do a fair amount of defending and will have less of the ball then the Serbs I would imagine. Can't say I am optimistic not just because of the Georgia performance but flat out I just do not see us being good enough to beat Serbia. A draw maybe but I do not see us winning the game. I really hope I am way off base but not just Georgia but our last few performances in this qualifying campaign have all been at best mediocre.

Its true.

There points at home to Austria, Wales or Georgia away are easier prospects than hosting Serbia.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What's your prediction for Tuesday? I think we'll win.

If we do win, it will be in conjunction with "what a performance", "why can't we always play like that?", "See what happens when you hold on to the ball for a bit."

I'll bet my house that if do win, it won't be on the back of some gammy performance and a goal being arsed into the net.

If we do win, it will be in conjunction with "what a performance", "why can't we always play like that?", "See what happens when you hold on to the ball for a bit."

I'll bet my house that if do win, it won't be on the back of some gammy performance and a goal being arsed into the net.
    So, do you think we'll win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Hey I hope we really do produce another iconic performance like we did against Germany to help qualify for the Euro Finals but I just do not see it. In the last campaign we started slowly but gathered steam as the campaign went along and of course it ended up being a very good campaign with some memorable nights. This campaign certainly is not gathering momentum in fact quite the opposite I would say. I hope I am well and truly wrong but I just do not see us being good enough to win this one. For me best case scenario that I see is getting a draw and Georgia holding Wales to a draw so at least we stay in pole position for the play off spot.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    So, do you think we'll win?

I genuinely don't know. Given our last 3 games, it will have to be one of those 'Paris' performances. i.e. I have no idea how this Ireland team are playing so good.

I wouldn't bet against us anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The defenders are far more to blame for what went on than the midfielders the other night. Their go to ball was to try and hit Long most of the time, or an area vaguely near Long. This is all without taking too much time to look for a pass. Guys like Arter are Premier League players who play for a team that play ball week in, week out regardless of the result. I completely disagree with the notion that someone like him doesn't 'want' the ball. Duffy is pretty poor on the ball and doesn't trust himself enough to play somewhat tougher balls than blasting it forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Looking at the 2nd place table there are some very strong teams in there. And I bet it be seeded in order to gI've the big boys a push.

Provided of course we don't finish bottom of the tabe, currently we are 8th.

Looking at the 2nd place table there are some very strong teams in there. And I bet it be seeded in order to gI've the big boys a push.

Sorry double post.

ebbsy wrote: »

If we don't win tomorrow we'll need to win in Cardiff to get a play off spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

And here we are :rolleyes:
    Was wondering why it was taking so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

irishman86 wrote: »
    And here we are :rolleyes:
    Was wondering why it was taking so long

He's a player happy to watch a game pass him by, causes the whole team performance to drop. If he never played for Ireland again, Id be happy with that.

Least Arter tried to pass the ball but unfortunately it was to players that didnt want it.

He's a player happy to watch a game pass him by, causes the whole team performance to drop. If he never played for Ireland again, Id be happy with that.

Least Arter tried to pass the ball but unfortunately it was to players that didnt want it.

Meh, Arter was terrible last night.

Delighted to have a midfield option like Mccarthy in the squad. Just a shame he never seems to be match fit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement