Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

PhilipsR wrote: »
    He's biding his time. He's pretty much a cert for the job once MON goes in my eyes.

Don't want him anywhere near it personally.

Not saying you're wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Don't want him anywhere near it personally.

Not saying you're wrong though
    I think he's probably in pole position to get the job if and when MON moves on, that's if he wants it. It's not easy to predict what he will do.

Who would you give to?

brilou23 wrote: »
    Cause everybody knows how subtle Roy likes to be.
    He knows how to play the game and keep shtum when it's in his interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'm shocked that we have seen Roy just sit back and let this happen. Now buck stops with O Neill but Keane has be questioned too.

How dare he sit back and watch us over achieve in a group. People were similarly critical of Liam Brady under Trap. But the kew tour knows more than all of these about how we should set up with a technically limited squad lol.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    How dare he sit back and watch us over achieve in a group. People were similarly critical of Liam Brady under Trap. But the kew tour knows mo:pac:re than all of these about how we should set up with a technically limited squad lol.

Over achieve?:pac:

Getting whipped by Georgia is over achieving acccording to Rekop:pac:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0904/902184-ireland-oneill-serbia/

O Neill getting the excuses in already. Between Duffy hoping Georgia will do Ireland favours, Ward asking fans to support the team and now this the mindset is all wrong here.

Over achieve?:pac:

Getting whipped by Georgia is over achieving acccording to Rekop:pac:

I'm not prone to knee jerk reactions like yourself. I'm a pragmatist. I said that was a bad result/performance but results wise it's an outlier in his sample. I judge credentials over campaigns or full managerial reigns.

We picked up an excellent 4 points against an Austria side with a handful of players from the Bundesligas two best teams last season Bayern and Leipsig, and ahead of Wales with one of the world's best players and others in CL squads or reasonable high level in England. You don't get to teams such as those accidentally. You have to be you know, good at football. We had zero, nada, zilch players even close to applying their trades at the highest level in that team on Saturday. We're overachieving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

O Neill getting the excuses in already. Between Duffy hoping Georgia will do Ireland favours, Ward asking fans to support the team and now this the mindset is all wrong here.

A lot of it is true We could be destroyed 2morrow but we play well against big teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not sure where the blame on Keane is coming from tbh. If it was someone less high profile than him, nobody would mention what the coach or assistant manager is doing etc. I haven't heard hardly anyone criticise Walford, the guy who's been at every job O'Neill has had.

I'm not prone to knee jerk reactions like yourself. I'm a pragmatist. I said that was a bad result/performance but results wise it's an outlier in his sample. I judge credentials over campaigns or full managerial reigns.

We picked up an excellent 4 points against an Austria side with a handful of players from the Bundesligas two best teams last season Bayern and Leipsig, and ahead of Wales with one of the world's best players and others in CL squads. You don't get to teams such as those accidentally. You have to be you know, good at football. We had zero, nada, zilch players even close to applying their trades at the highest level in that team on Saturday. We're overachieving.

Were we playing Wales or Austria on Saturday. No

No it was a team ranked 129 in the world and we made them look like Brazil of 1970.

You can deny it all you like we have a good crop of players that are simply playing the most awful football imaginable by a manager on 1 million a year. That's the simple facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I don't see anything wrong with the mindset here from Ward. Open and honest?

"Listen, we need a big night on Tuesday. We need to put a performance in for the fans and make it a big atmosphere against a good Serbian side.

"It's still in our hands - if we win three out of three games now, we'll qualify. We have been in situations before where we have had to bounce back, so hopefully we can all recover quickly, get the bodies right and put in a much better performance on Tuesday."

Asked what O'Neill's post-match assessment had been, Ward said:

"Look, he was disappointed with the performance, especially in the first half.

"To get a lead so early was brilliant for us and it was disappointing that we couldn't hang on to that. But they're a good side. They have proved they can take points off teams and give teams a tough run in the games.

"The second half was improved and we had three good chances to win the game, but unfortunately one just didn't drop in for us.

"But he [O'Neill] knows we have got a big game on Tuesday and he wants us to get our heads around that. We have had some big nights at the Aviva recently and we need to have another one."

Should Ireland turn in as poor a display against Serbia, they are likely to be punished more ruthlessly, and Ward knows victory is really the only option.

He said: "That's common knowledge. We have given them a little bit of breathing space, but that can be overturned on Tuesday with a win for us, and that's what we need to look to do."

I don't see anything wrong with the mindset here from Ward. Open and honest?

"Listen, we need a big night on Tuesday. We need to put a performance in for the fans and make it a big atmosphere against a good Serbian side.

"It's still in our hands - if we win three out of three games now, we'll qualify. We have been in situations before where we have had to bounce back, so hopefully we can all recover quickly, get the bodies right and put in a much better performance on Tuesday."

Asked what O'Neill's post-match assessment had been, Ward said:

"Look, he was disappointed with the performance, especially in the first half.

"To get a lead so early was brilliant for us and it was disappointing that we couldn't hang on to that. But they're a good side. They have proved they can take points off teams and give teams a tough run in the games.

"The second half was improved and we had three good chances to win the game, but unfortunately one just didn't drop in for us.

"But he [O'Neill] knows we have got a big game on Tuesday and he wants us to get our heads around that. We have had some big nights at the Aviva recently and we need to have another one."

Should Ireland turn in as poor a display against Serbia, they are likely to be punished more ruthlessly, and Ward knows victory is really the only option.

He said: "That's common knowledge. We have given them a little bit of breathing space, but that can be overturned on Tuesday with a win for us, and that's what we need to look to do."

He should know the fans will always be behind the team.

I will be there and I will support the team 100%.

To me it should be no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Surprised by O'Neills comments about the group being 'not the most talented'. I mean we know it's true but not something I'd expect the national manager to say bluntly like that. Sometimes the boring, defensive comments are best, as O'Neill has used far from sparingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

He should know the fans will always be behind the team.

I will be there and I will support the team 100%.

To me it should be no brainer

The vitriol that has been spat at the team post this game against both the manager and certain players from many would indicate otherwise.

Some absolute no brainers "hope" we don't qualify!!

Anyway it is just a typical pre match press saying. How many times do any player from any team come out with the "We need the fans to get behind us/raise the roof" style stuff before a massive home game.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

What he said there was perfectly grand and I certainly would not be questioning his mindset.

Were we playing Wales or Austria on Saturday. No

No it was a team ranked 129 in the world and we made them look like Brazil of 1970.

You can deny it all you like we have a good crop of players that are simply playing the most awful football imaginable by a manager on 1 million a year. That's the simple facts.

I've seen Georgia a handful of times and they've always been very pleasing on the eye. They play great stuff at times. But they're probably a good example of what happens when an group of players playing at a modest club level try to play open expansive stuff, it's rarely conducive to winning football over a big sample. Average sides over achieving at International level tend to all play very defensive stuff. Northern Ireland set up with a 4-6-0 formation v Czech the last time they played them. It's absolutely dire to watch but effective at nullifying threats and seems to get results for them.

I've seen Georgia a handful of times and they've always been very pleasing on the eye. They play great stuff at times. But they're probably a good example of what happens when an group of players playing at a modest club level try to play open expansive stuff, it's rarely conducive to winning football over a big sample. Average sides over achieving at International level tend to all play very defensive stuff. Northern Ireland set up with a 4-6-0 formation v Czech the last time they played them. It's absolutely dire to watch but effective at nullifying threats and seems to get results for them.

I won't argue with you there. I understand we have to be rigid. I get that, I understand we have to be defensive minded, I understand that too.

I could not care less if we played hoof ball. I could not care less if I saw us playing counter attack with 11 men behind the ball. But what I saw in June against Austria and last Saturday night was a team with no Plan. Not even O Neill can seem to explain it so not sure how we can.

I don't blame CB for hoofing the ball into touch like I saw Duffy do as there was no alternative. But somebody has to start saying(that being the manager) to tell others around him to get on ball and support each other.

I honestly don't know of what type of tactic you could call Saturday night. It baffled me anyway unless somebody would like to explain but I doubt many will be able to.

I would rather win 1-0 playing defensive football, then playing samba and getting beat 6-4, but let's be honest there is no structure or plan in place to what we saw on Saturday night. Even all the football writers I have read could not explain it and neither can some of former players I read so how am I going to:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My heart says were going to see a huge improvement 2morrow night but my head says were going to fall apart and Serbia are going to win well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Dempsey wrote: »
    You'll have to explain yourself better than that.

I really really dont in this situation
    Just take what you said and i think the opposite

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

noodler wrote: »
    Whelan is not the be all and end all welhen it comes to Ireland woes.

Ive seen him scores of times at Stoke over the years and he does things Irish fans say he never does, in the main making himself available for the ball and offloading it as well as the defensive stuff.

I'm convinced some of what we see at national team level is due to management.

I could counter with the two Bosnia games where he played every minutes and played very well.

From what ive seen and read about Villa he hasnt been doing that this year so far
    He looks like his legs have gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

irishman86 wrote: »
    From what ive seen and read about Villa he hasnt been doing that this year so far
    He looks like his legs have gone

I've been defending him for years but he is 34 now playing in the championship.

He is on his way out in fairness.

Can hold his head up high when it's over, three successful qualifiying campaigns in the respect that we got three play offs and two finals appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Corholio wrote: »
    Surprised by O'Neills comments about the group being 'not the most talented'. I mean we know it's true but not something I'd expect the national manager to say bluntly like that. Sometimes the boring, defensive comments are best, as O'Neill has used far from sparingly.

It's bull****.

Michael O'Neill has a far less talented group of players on paper playing superbly well. They are beating the Czechs and playing proper football.

Martin O'Neill is a relic and he and his primitive football need to be canned if we don't qualify for the WC. And throw Keane out with him. Don't understand what he brings to the team but scowling and poor attempts at Stand-Up-Comedy/Self Promotion during press conferences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    :D:D What system?

I have to agree with Pat Fenlon here: https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1482715/it-must-be-hard-for-irish-players-to-know-what-martin-oneill-wants/

It's clearer to me the longer O'Neill's reign goes on, the more I'm convinced there are no tactics, and all our results are purely personnel dependent.
    Someone once said No Plan Survives its First encounter with the Enemy.......

Napoleon Bonaparte......things did go pear shaped for him in the end....but the Glory Days were Glorious......

or

Fail to Prepare....Prepare to Fail...swings and roundabouts.....

It's bull****.

Michael O'Neill has a far less talented group of players on paper playing superbly well. They are beating the Czechs and playing proper football.

Martin O'Neill is a relic and he and his primitive football need to be canned if we don't qualify for the WC. And throw Keane out with him. Don't understand what he brings to the team but scowling and poor attempts at Stand-Up-Comedy/Self Promotion during press conferences.
    Big word that 'if' isn't it.

'If' we qualify everything else you said there is entirely irrelevant. Yet you got loads of "Thanks" for your comment. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Big word that 'if' isn't it.

'If' we qualify everything else you said there is entirely irrelevant. Yet you got loads of "Thanks" for your comment. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Even IF we qualify, he should take us to Russia and retire afterwards, and take Keane with him.

Even IF we qualify, he should take us to Russia and retire afterwards, and take Keane with him.
    He probably will retire. Still 'if' he gets us there that's two tournaments he's got us to. Two out of two. That would be pretty good. Some around here will still find ways to carp I'm sure. I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow, reckon we'll see a reaction and an improved performance, and a win.

• Advertisement

If he gets us to WC I will take everything I have said about him back. If we win tomorrow night it's all to play for again, but this team has no superpower team in the group and for man in the money he is on, a Playoff is least I expect.

I hope we knock the roof off tomorrow night

COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MON's press conference is so weird.

"were unbeaten in the group and thats hard to believe"

Funny, funny way of looking at things unless is again trying to manage expectations.

It's bull****.

What on earth are you taking about? They had 28% possession. They completed 138 passes to Czechs 677. They only had two shots on target which were the goals. I've seen plenty of their games, they're the prime example of a team flourishing playing negative football.

In no games in our campaign have we had less possession than NI had tonight. In the last Euros the North had the lowest passes completed by an absolute country mile out of all nations.

I truly find it amazing how media and likes of posters here and Dunphy are hailing them while slamming MON over his style. They clearly haven't watched a single game the North have played.

In no games in our campaign have we had less possession than NI had tonight. In the last Euros the North had the lowest passes completed by an absolute country mile out of all nations.

I truly find it amazing how media and likes of posters here and Dunphy are hailing them while slamming MON over his style. They clearly haven't watched a single game the North have played.

Style?

Have to say I haven't heard many saying they play attractive football.

I thought the praise was due to their efficacy. After all, as you bring up stats and possession, here's another one. They're ranked higher than us. Despite having a more limited squad, managerial budget etc. Now only the most miserly wouldn't give them great credit for that.

• Advertisement

Style?

Have to say I haven't heard many saying they play attractive football.

I thought the praise was due to their efficacy. After all, as you bring up stats and possession, here's another one. They're ranked higher than us. Despite having a more limited squad, managerial budget etc. Now only the most miserly wouldn't give them great credit for that.

The poster I quoted said they're winning playing "proper football". I've seen lots of similar posts and media related stuff about them.

I'd give them the world of credit, I'm the one advocating a negative approach for limited squads but to be more like NI we need to play even less possession football than we do already. Like in comparison to them we almost have ideas about ourselves as a footballing side shocking as that is to believe.

It also has to be said their group is easier on the whole so I'm not sure how much better they're doing. Obviously Germany are crushing but Czechs are really poor these days, not a single player in that side playing high level unlike Serbia Wales Austria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The poster I quoted said they're winning playing "proper football". I've seen lots of similar posts and media related stuff about them.

I'd give them the world of credit, I'm the one advocating a negative approach for limited squads but to be more like NI we need to play even less possession football than we do already. Like in comparison to them we almost have ideas about ourselves as a footballing side shocking as that is to believe.

It also has to be said their group is easier on the whole so I'm not sure how much better they're doing. Obviously Germany are crushing but Czechs are really poor these days, not a single player in that side playing high level unlike Serbia Wales Austria.

Back to the "they each have a star player" nonsense. How many euros or world cups did Wales qualify for when they had Giggs?? How many world cups did Liberia get to with George Weah leading the line? NI with George Best??

That's 3 of the best players in the world in their prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm really not sure how that was your take-away from the post you quoted...

noodler wrote: »
    MON's press conference is so weird.

"were unbeaten in the group and thats hard to believe"

Funny, funny way of looking at things unless is again trying to manage expectations.
    Didn't see it, maybe he meant it's hard to believe in the context of the criticism that has been levelled at him and his players. Not saying they don't deserve criticism for Saturday's performance v Georgia but he's going to defend himself and his players. When he defends himself he will sound defensive. None of that matters if they turn it around and win tonight.

Back to the "they each have a star player" nonsense. How many euros or world cups did Wales qualify for when they had Giggs?? How many world cups did Liberia get to with George Weah leading the line? NI with George Best??

That's 3 of the best players in the world in their prime.

The current Serbia Austria and Wales teams all have a good few Champions league or high level based players, not just one, so there's a depth of quality to back up their biggest stars unlike a Liberia. I'm not sure what point you're making tbh, can we not say teams should do better based on quality of players anymore? Like Manchester United should finish higher than Burnley, Barca should probably do better than Betis, you know because they're... better.

Anyway my overall point here was the irony of people praising NI's football and achievements and almost in the same breath criticising our approach to the game.

If he gets us to WC I will take everything I have said about him back. If we win tomorrow night it's all to play for again, but this team has no superpower team in the group and for man in the money he is on, a Playoff is least I expect.

I hope we knock the roof off tomorrow night

COYBIG
    Well that's a huge added bonus for MON and the lads.

They can rest assured that some randomer on the internet will take 'everything he said back about them' if they qualify. But, but, but, be warned; if they don't qualify, he won't.:mad::pac:

The current Serbia Austria and Wales teams all have a good few Champions league or high level based players, not just one, so there's a depth of quality to back up their biggest stars unlike a Liberia. I'm not sure what point you're making tbh, can we not say teams should do better based on quality of players anymore? Like Manchester United should finish higher than Burnley, Barca should probably do better than Betis, you know because they're... better.

Anyway my overall point here was the irony of people praising NI's football and achievements and almost in the same breath criticising our approach to the game.
    This is a good point. For me the problem with MON and the teams recent performances is a lack of direction and energy. Hopefully they will be shocked into shape after Saturday and will get the finger out tonight. A lot of this 'style of play' stuff only rears it's head when we don't play with energy or when we lose.

This is a good point. For me the problem with MON and the teams recent performances is a lack of direction and energy. Hopefully they will be shocked into shape after Saturday and will get the finger out tonight. A lot of this 'style of play' stuff only rears it's head when we don't play with energy or when we lose.

I agree re lack of energy. Two of our biggest leaders from that perspective would be Long and Walters and I felt they really lacked the match fitness Saturday from not playing for their clubs. It's a tough time of season to be playing crucial qualifiers tbh. But hopefully that game stood to them and they'll be sharper for it tonight.

Looking forward to the Aviva tonight, there'll be lots there that believe MON isn't the man for the job and his approach is neanderthal, just hoping the crowd don't get too vocally negative or frustrated as that's of no help to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

lack of direction

Which in itself is a pretty damning indictment of the man supposed to be directing them.

They either aren't listening to him, which is a major red flag, or he isn't giving instructions to do anything other than hoof from the defence in a directionless and hopeful manner all game long.

Now which is it? Your constant trite support of this regime is endearing for sure, but at the end of the day (to coin a phrase), there is nothing of substance to your snipes and swipes at people making legitimate criticisms of the managerial style of O'Neill.

Which in itself is a pretty damning indictment of the man supposed to be directing them.

They either aren't listening to him, which is a major red flag, or he isn't giving instructions to do anything other than hoof from the defence in a directionless and hopeful manner all game long.

Now which is it? Your constant trite support of this regime is endearing for sure, but at the end of the day (to coin a phrase), there is nothing of substance to your snipes and swipes at people making legitimate criticisms of the managerial style of O'Neill.
    At the end of the day, we qualified for the Euro's and performed very well when we got there, and at the end of the day if we win tonight we go top of the Group with two games left.

It is legitimate to criticise the poor performance v Georgia and the recent loss of impetus in the Group having started the Group very well. However I think some of the criticism is ott and hysterical especially given that we can still top the Group with three games left in it.

I also think some of the 'style of play' arguments are hypocritical when many of the same posters praise (correctly) Michael O'Neill's Northern Ireland team or Iceland. Those teams also play a direct brand of football.

BTW, if people are going to criticise are they immune from criticism of their comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

They're not listening to him cause I don't think he's saying much. You have a team picked an hour before kick off, and a sense from Martin that there's an "off you go, lads."

I think that it is personnel imposing style of play and not the manager. So (for example) when Hoolahan plays, he's not conforming to a style dictated to him by the coach, Wes is just doing what Wes does (Martin: "off you go, Wes"), and the cause and effect that happens just happens.

It seems crazy, cause Trap had a system, and if the player doesn't fit in, then good luck, but O'Neill's team seems to be the reverse. The idea of not working from some foundation (which you can then expand from) can't help the players.

I think O'Neill is putting far too much responsibility (tactically) on the shoulders of the team. When things go tits up, the players look clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Did you miss the part with the North here they hammered Azerbaijan 4-0 at home and had an assured defensive 1-0 win away too?

The issue isn't the consistent negative football, it's the clear lack of game plan. Because if the game plan was to win knock downs on Saturday, Long shouldn't have been near the pitch. It was made for Walters or Murphy to be up top.

Anyways, nothing we can do now. I'll be in the Aviva tonight and hoping for the very best but I think our campaign is done. Regardless we'll be going into the last game with some sort of hope, but it'll probably be very limited. I truly hope I'm wrong, and this irish team has pulled performances out of their arse just when you're about to give up complete hope, so that's needed again tonight. But the fact is, even if we win tonight, the Georgia game will still be looked at as a monumental **** up in the likelihood that we need to beat the Welsh on the final day for top spot.

Did you miss the part with the North here they hammered Azerbaijan 4-0 at home and had an assured defensive 1-0 win away too?

The issue isn't the consistent negative football, it's the clear lack of game plan. Because if the game plan was to win knock downs on Saturday, Long shouldn't have been near the pitch. It was made for Walters or Murphy to be up top.

Long was officially the fastest player in the premier league last season, recorded the quickest top speed of any player. So he's an ideal man to have if you're hoofing it over the top like we do often. Many of his goals for us have come in such circumstances (famous example below). His finishing is at best inconsistent though unfortunately but still the best option in this system imo.

It really is a must win as if we dont and still got 2nd we be most likely the worst 2nd placed team.

Big night ahead. Lets hope MON gets it right for a change

It really is a must win as if we dont and still got 2nd we be most likely the worst 2nd placed team.

Big night ahead. Lets hope MON gets it right for a change
    For a change? Are you saying he's never got it right before?

If that's what you're saying you're wrong ...again.

Anyways, nothing we can do now. I'll be in the Aviva tonight and hoping for the very best but I think our campaign is done. Regardless we'll be going into the last game with some sort of hope, but it'll probably be very limited. I truly hope I'm wrong, and this irish team has pulled performances out of their arse just when you're about to give up complete hope, so that's needed again tonight. But the fact is, even if we win tonight, the Georgia game will still be looked at as a monumental **** up in the likelihood that we need to beat the Welsh on the final day for top spot.

Its crazy to think after 3 below par/awful performances that a win tonight will put us back on top.

This group has left the door open for us and this is the 4th chance this year for us to get it right. We cant say we been given no hope by the others when we have.

Its crazy to think after 3 below par/awful performances that a win tonight will put us back on top.

This group has left the door open for us and this is the 4th chance this year for us to get it right. We cant say we been given no hope by the others when we have.
    You could say that about the other teams in the Group as well. Wales drew 4 games in a row I think, including a home draw against guess who?.....Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Long was officially the fastest player in the premier league last season, recorded the quickest top speed of any player. So he's an ideal man to have if you're hoofing it over the top like we do often. Many of his goals for us have come in such circumstances (famous example below). His finishing is at best inconsistent though unfortunately but still the best option in this system imo.

The problem is we weren't hoofing it over the top, and rarely do. Anyway, hoofing over the top is easily nullified by opposition not playing such a high line.

Long's goal was indeed a hoofed ball that went over the top, but playing a long ball game requires support. Most long balls go into the mixer with the hope of flick ons, or that the striker can hold up play.

Long is not a target man or the ideal candidate for the lone striker role with a long ball game.

Most importantly, if the striker is not getting support from a breaking midfield who play a pressing game, then the long ball game is redundant, and ends up looking like the monstrosity we witnessed on Saturday.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The problem is we weren't hoofing it over the top, and rarely do. Anyway, hoofing over the top is easily nullified by opposition not playing such a high line.

Long's goal was indeed a hoofed ball that went over the top, but playing a long ball game requires support. Most long balls go into the mixer with the hope of flick ons, or that the striker can hold up play.

Long is not a target man or the ideal candidate for the lone striker role with a long ball game.

Most importantly, if the striker is not getting support from a breaking midfield who play a pressing game, then the long ball game is redundant, and ends up looking like the monstrosity we witnessed on Saturday.
    We should play two up front if we're going to play it long. Ronnie Whelan said that in commentary on Saturday. If you're going to play it long, go the whole hog, put two up front and make sure your midfielders push up and support the strikers. That was the big problem on Saturday in particular, Shane Long was left isolated, the midfielders did not push up enough. Only McClean showed a bit of energy that was needed. They know what to do tonight.

• Advertisement

Our 2 best performances at home under O Neill was Germany and Bosnia.

We have seen nothing of the same since in this campaign at home. Yes we got bit of luck against Germany but we made it for ourselves that night.

We get right into the Serbia faces tonight we can win. Its the only thing. Play without fear tonight. Go for it, we have to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement