Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I saw on the RTÉ Sport website this morning that no changes are to be made ahead of tonight.

Same squad, same plan as Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭bren2001

tigger123 wrote: »
    I saw on the RTÉ Sport website this morning that no changes are to be made ahead of tonight.

Same squad, same plan as Saturday.

Same squad doesn't mean same team. No surprise the squad is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The problem is we weren't hoofing it over the top, and rarely do. Anyway, hoofing over the top is easily nullified by opposition not playing such a high line.

Long's goal was indeed a hoofed ball that went over the top, but playing a long ball game requires support. Most long balls go into the mixer with the hope of flick ons, or that the striker can hold up play.

Long is not a target man or the ideal candidate for the lone striker role with a long ball game.

Most importantly, if the striker is not getting support from a breaking midfield who play a pressing game, then the long ball game is redundant, and ends up looking like the monstrosity we witnessed on Saturday.

We were clearing it long up the pitch at every opportunity, it's what we always do. By adding support from midfield you're losing defensive shape when you lose the ball. It's not redundant, that's a clear lie, horrible to watch yes, but not redundant. That goal against Germany proved it, Walters goal below proves it. Lots of the goals we score prove it. 90% of our clearances of course will go nowhere and end up surrendering possession but that's not too big an issue when you're not exposed. Like Northern Ireland and Iceland with our limited squad we play the system that gets us results against better sides by relinquishing possession to keep defensive shape and rarely conceding.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Same squad doesn't mean same team. No surprise the squad is the same.

The article was heavily suggesting we were going for the same as Saturday though.

tigger123 wrote: »
    The article was heavily suggesting we were going for the same as Saturday though.

No journalist knows the team so I wouldn't be listening to that.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    No journalist knows the team so I wouldn't be listening to that.

I sincerely hope you're correct.

I'll be going to the match tonight, and not looking forward to watching a repeat of Saturday. I really want to get behind the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Long was officially the fastest player in the premier league last season, recorded the quickest top speed of any player. So he's an ideal man to have if you're hoofing it over the top like we do often. Many of his goals for us have come in such circumstances (famous example below). His finishing is at best inconsistent though unfortunately but still the best option in this system imo.

Long didn't start the game against Germany. Murphy did, and he roughed up the German centre backs, and Long was sprung on them only a couple of minutes before he scored. Again, my issue is gameplan. Having a midfield of Brady and McClean for the last 15 minutes on Saturday shows that there wasn't one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Serious doubts about Hoolihan and Hendrick. Unlikely to play.
    Probably the same again so. Maybe start McGeady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

This is a tough one. I don't fancy our home form, our only home win was a struggle against Georgia, and Serbia are probably the strongest side in the group. Need a big performance, but I feel like we may have blown it with that draw in Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Our 2 best performances at home under O Neill was Germany and Bosnia.

We have seen nothing of the same since in this campaign at home. Yes we got bit of luck against Germany but we made it for ourselves that night.

We get right into the Serbia faces tonight we can win. Its the only thing. Play without fear tonight. Go for it, we have to.

This won't happen. We'll be sent out to sit back and keep it tight for as long as we can in the hope we can nick a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Serbia are no better than Bosnia and we got a result against them. Tonight has to be treated as a cup final
    We need to win
    Hopefully Roy is spiiting fire at the lads tonight. Get them in the fighting spirit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Serious doubts about Hoolihan and Hendrick. Unlikely to play.
    Probably the same again so. Maybe start McGeady.

Heard Hendrick and mcgeady are out
    Wes still in the frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This won't happen. We'll be sent out to sit back and keep it tight for as long as we can in the hope we can nick a goal.

Im praying you are wrong but more then likely will be right.

Still I believe in the players I just hope management do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I feel like we may have blown it with that draw in Georgia.

Dunno about that - If we'd beaten Georgia, we'd still need to win tonight to realistically win the group!

However we have let Wales back into it easier and also in severe danger whereby if we finished second, we could be the group runners up who end up excluded from the play-offs.

Sin City wrote: »
    Serbia are no better than Bosnia and we got a result against them. Tonight has to be treated as a cup final
    We need to win
    Hopefully Roy is spiiting fire at the lads tonight. Get them in the fighting spirit

What is his role?
    I don't see his influence on this team at all. No drive or passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What is his role?
    I don't see his influence on this team at all. No drive or passion.

Can you imagine a midfielder of his calibre being happy with that sh*te? He clearly has no influence. MON is the man in charge.

I truly hope we qualify because I always do but part of me knows it will end in disaster either way because if we do qualify, the FAI will give MON an extension. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Kirby wrote: »
    Can you imagine a midfielder of his calibre being happy with that sh*te? He clearly has no influence. MON is the man in charge.

I truly hope we qualify because I always do but part of me knows it will end in disaster either way because if we do qualify, the FAI will give MON an extension. Ugh.

O'Neill will leave by his own accord following qualification failure or next July. Can't see him doing another stint.

O'Neill will leave by his own accord either next month or next July. Can't see him doing another stint.

There is zero chances of him walking away from the money on offer. If we get through, he'll sign a new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

There is zero chances of him walking away from the money on offer. If we get through, he'll sign a new deal.
    Zero chance you say?, and you know this for definite, how?

Because the money is too good. If he is fit to do the job, he will.

• Advertisement

We need to win

Is it possible to fit any more footballing cliches into a single post of four lines?

Because the money is too good. If he is fit to do the job, he will.
    If he gets us to the World Cup he's entitled to an extension if he wants it, he'll have fulfilled his remit. Also if we get there we'll likely up our game and perform better. Our problems mainly arise when we play weaker opposition and we've lost momentum having started well. Hopefully we get back on track tonight.

We also tend to get too focussed on our own games when analysing how the group is going to pan out. Serbia are the only side to have played Moldova twice, and have two tough away game against ourselves and Austria. So their lead is sort of a false one.

The reality is a draw tonight and it's still all to play for. I know that will annoy all those that enjoy hitting the doom button but avoiding a loss is the main concern tonight.

We also tend to get too focussed on our own games when analysing how the group is going to pan out. Serbia are the only side to have played Moldova twice, and have two tough away game against ourselves and Austria. So their lead is sort of a false one.

The reality is a draw tonight and it's still all to play for. I know that will annoy all those that enjoy hitting the doom button but avoiding a loss is the main concern tonight.
    A draw tonight would help Wales more than any other team.
    It would probably put us into 3rd place with an away trip to Wales where we would have to win.
    I can't see any more draws being of any use to us.

Avoiding defeat is obviously better than losing but if we want to top the Group I think we need to win. We need to turn momentum back in our favour as well, a draw won't do that. But you're right the doom and gloom merchants forget about the other teams except when they're playing us. I watched Wales beat Austria after our game on Saturday. They didn't look likely to win at all, it was heading for a 0-0 draw and then a young debutant gets fires a great strike from well outside the box that caught the goalie unaware.

It wasn't like Wales had dominated the game at any stage, in fact for most of the game Austria looked the more likely to score. Maybe that win will kickstart their campaign. We need something like that to happen tonight, and hopefully we'll make it happen, more so than Wales did v Austria. Get a win tonight and we're back in control of the Group.

A draw tonight would help Wales more than any other team.
    It would probably put us into 3rd place with an away trip to Wales where we would have to win.
    I can't see any more draws being of any use to us.

Yeah but we'd be the only team of the three yet to play our gimme game(famous last words) against Moldova. Regardless of whether Austria have anything to play for in this group they still have ranking concerns ect so that will be a tricky trip for Serbia and Wales have already had concerns with Georgia so that's no handy game eother. Entirely possible we could be third tonight but top after Moldova.

We will most likely have to beat either Serbia or Wales but it's not the do or die fixture some are building it to be tonight.

Yeah but we'd be the only team of the three yet to play our gimme game(famous last words) against Moldova. Regardless of whether Austria have anything to play for in this group they still have ranking concerns ect so that will be a tricky trip for Serbia and Wales have already had concerns with Georgia so that's no handy game eother. Entirely possible we could be third tonight and but top after Moldova.

We will most likely have to beat either Serbia or Wales but it's not the do or die fixture some are building it to be tonight.
    I think it's about momentum at this point in the Group campaign. In the last qualifier campaign Scotland were ahead of us having beaten us in Parkhead and drawn in Dublin. Then they slipped up in Georgia and let us back in.

In this campaign we have slipped up and let Wales back in. We need to regain momentum. On paper we'll still have an even chance of a 2nd place finish, but I think we need to win tonight and the best way for us to approach it is to go for the win.

Also a play off could be really tough this time, we could end up v Italy, or could end up with no play off as worst 2nd placed team. I think we can and need to win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Heard Hendrick and mcgeady are out
    Wes still in the frame

McGeady out would be fantastic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Rikand wrote: »
    McGeady out would be fantastic!!

Bit harsh, by no means his biggest fan but he has had a decent contribution to the Irish team over the last while and receives an unwarranted amount of criticism.

News of Wes out is disappointing, as I mentioned before he is no messiah but he's a ball player and a bit of creativity we need. McClean and Walters were so ineffective on the wings, nobody was able to bring them into the game. Hopefully it's hear say, we need him to start.

For me, it's all or nothing tonight. We'll be relying on too many other things to happen elsewhere, Wales to slip against Georgia, Austria to beat Serbia, getting a good result in Wales.

The German 1-0 win needs to be inspiration going into this evening, anything is possible as long as we go out with the right attitude. A McClean cruncher (all above board) within the first few minutes will lift the crowd tonight and get them behind the team. Mon Ireland

• Advertisement

Bit harsh, by no means his biggest fan but he has had a decent contribution to the Irish team over the last while and receives an unwarranted amount of criticism.

News of Wes out is disappointing, as I mentioned before he is no messiah but he's a ball player and a bit of creativity we need. McClean and Walters were so ineffective on the wings, nobody was able to bring them into the game. Hopefully it's hear say, we need him to start.

For me, it's all or nothing tonight. We'll be relying on too many other things to happen elsewhere, Wales to slip against Georgia, Austria to beat Serbia, getting a good result in Wales.

The German 1-0 win needs to be inspiration going into this evening, anything is possible as long as we go out with the right attitude. A McClean cruncher (all above board) within the first few minutes will lift the crowd tonight and get them behind the team. Mon Ireland

Wes was named in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Looking forward to the match and will fully support the team despite what I think of MON and his team selection/tactics. Hope its another paris and players go for it despite manager.

• Surely he has to change something. Must win game. **** the draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We don't have a lot of options.
    Whelan and Arter's places are surely vulnerable.

McCarthy and Hendrick bring injured limits us.
    I'd like to see Wes start (if fit) and possibly Hourihane or Meyler throw in. Maybe start Murphy upfront to support Long.

Keeper, back 4 plus Brady, McCLean, Walters and Long will probably be the same.

Here's hoping we revert to the diamond midfield.

Randolph

Christie, Clark, Duffy, Ward

Arter

Brady McLean

Wes

Walters Long

Can easily become 4-5-1 without the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Is there any news on Wes being fit? Just hoping he's in the eleven tonight

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

[font=Segoe UI, Arial, sans-serif]The U21 just kicked off against Azerbaijan, really need to win it. Team here[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

am i on my own in thinking that arter was the worst on saturday night? not getting the hype with him. it's like we're still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

am i on my own in thinking that arter was the worst on saturday night? not getting the hype with him. it's like we're still waiting.

Bit harsh. He's only had a handful of caps and under a completely different system to what he plays at Bournemouth.

Like James McCarthy, he may need 40 caps (and counting) to find his feet.

• Advertisement

I've stared at that for about 10 minutes and still can't figure it out ... ???

Edit: got it, sorry. We're Group E.

Balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Is it possible to fit any more footballing cliches into a single post of four lines?

Your cynical post is far more rewarding. Pat yourself on the back for your great effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

[font=Segoe UI, Arial, sans-serif]The U21 just kicked off against Azerbaijan, really need to win it. Team here[/font]

Going well, 3-1 up after 70 minutes. Azerbaijan now down to 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Here's hoping we revert to the diamond midfield.

Randolph

Christie, Clark, Duffy, Ward

Arter

Brady McLean

Wes

Walters Long

Can easily become 4-5-1 without the ball

That midfield would be bet by an absolute cricket score.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The U21 just kicked off against Azerbaijan, really need to win it. Team

Won 3-1 in the end, good result. Ryan Manning with 2, cant be too far off the next squad if he keeps getting a game with QPR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bit harsh. He's only had a handful of caps and under a completely different system to what he plays at Bournemouth.

Like James McCarthy, he may need 40 caps (and counting) to find his feet.

Yes because McCarthy has been such a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Won 3-1 in the end, good result. Ryan Manning with 2, cant be too far off the next squad if he keeps getting a game with QPR

Great to see Cullen and Rice developing so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Meyler and Hoolhahan replace Whelan and Arter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

vicwatson wrote: »
    Great to see Cullen and Rice developing so well.

The English FA might start asking questions about these guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement