Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

So is wes gonna play cm instead of am

Or will McLean play cm or on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sin City wrote: »
    So is wes gonna play cm instead of am

Or will McLean play cm or on the wing

Brady CM be most obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

paulie21 wrote: »
    Meyler and Hoolhahan replace Whelan and Arter
    Surprised and delighted with that news. At least he has some cop on. Now lets use hope we use Wes and don't just keep hoofing it over his head all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Stevecw wrote: »
    Surprised and delighted with that news. At least he has some cop on. Now lets use hope we use Wes and don't just keep hoofing it over his head all night.

We're all getting over excited about starting a guy in his mid 30's

God were in a bad way in the republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

PTH2009 wrote: »

I know it's kinda sad, but can you blame us when you look at the alternatives. It's our only hope of a bit of creativity for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Stevecw wrote: »
    I know it's kinda sad, but can you blame us when you look at the alternatives. It's our only hope of a bit of creativity for the moment.

It definitely looks like a positive move.

Yeah it's a 30+ year old who's not an automatic at a lower league club, but we don't have many better options out there. Just hope we have the midfield balance right. I don't rate Duffy and I think we might not have enough defensive cover in that midfield. Hopefully I'm wrong and we get on the front foot from early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

PTH2009 wrote: »

We sure are
    The lad should have 80 plus caps not Whealan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Simply ask O' Neill

You were 1st in the group with Austria, Wales and Serbia to play at home. You're now third having had an extra man for 20/25 minutes in two of those games, why?

Would like to see his terrible answer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Pj, citzen, kebop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

How that foul on Murphy wasn't given as a pen, was utter ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

**** it....we're not out of it. There's every chance we'll be in 2nd place again after the next game....3 points against Moldova and any result for Georgia at home to Wales is not hugely unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That midfield would be bet by an absolute cricket score.

Would it, yeah? Only difference was that Meyler was in for Arter. Lost 1-0.

brilou23 wrote: »
    Pj, citzen, kebop?

What?

Played at home against our two main rivals, while they played with 10 men for a combined 45 mins, and we lost 1-0 over the course of 180 mins.

pjohnson wrote: »
    What?

What you think of that. MON fan club

• Advertisement

How that foul on Murphy wasn't given as a pen, was utter ridiculous

Was definitely a foul, Murphy should have exaggerated it though. (still should have been given regardless)

Best two players tonight couldn't get on field last match. MON looking clueless

What you think of that. MON fan club

Oh I have ended up in the fan club? Cool. So because I'm aware we arent full of technically fantastic players I'm a MON fan. I thought you lot claimed Hoolahan would save us AND that dropping Whelan always yields positive results? How did that go for ye. Well if you watched the game you'd have noticed how Murphy actually provided us a goal threat or at least a focal point unlike Long. He should have had a penalty and put Maksimović under enough pressure to get sent off. Granted you were probably busy celebrating the defeat. But sure it give you and your mates a great chance to rake in some thanks so you are predictably delighted its just more ammunition. Enjoy your win :)

Oh I have ended up in the fan club? Cool. So because I'm aware we arent full of technically fantastic players I'm a MON fan. I thought you lot claimed Hoolahan would save us AND that dropping Whelan always yields positive results? How did that go for ye. Well if you watched the game you'd have noticed how Murphy actually provided us a goal threat or at least a focal point unlike Long. He should have had a penalty and put Maksimović under enough pressure to get sent off. Granted you were probably busy celebrating the defeat. But sure it give you and your mates a great chance to rake in some thanks so you are predictably delighted its just more ammunition. Enjoy your win :)
    You really are clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

**** me, where do you start with this?

• Advertisement

You really are clueless

What? You couldn't wait till the final whistle to start tryna rake in the thanks. Excellent priorities. You can celebrate our defeat. You'd be gutted to give MON credit.

What? You couldn't wait till the final whistle to start tryna rake in the thanks. Excellent priorities. You can celebrate our defeat. You'd be gutted to give MON credit.

Are you the press secretary for FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would two wins likely put us in one of the best placed seconds?

The lack of belief in the stadium in the last ten even with an extra man was noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

noodler wrote: »
    Would two wins likely put us in one of the best placed seconds?

The lack of belief in the stadium in the last ten even with an extra man was noticeable.

To be honest, it's the hope that kills you. Ireland don't deserve to go! We need a serious overhaul and that means putting the money that is used for the Irish manager into youth football. The FAI needs to start doing it's job and do it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Decent for an hour and then hoofball. Jesus had a better time with crosses than our lot did today. Only one decent ball into the box following the sending off.

That said,making the playoffs wasn't lost just tonight. 5 points from 12 from the home qualifiers against Serbia, wales, Austria & Georgia is nowhere near good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

edgecutter wrote: »
    To be honest, it's the hope that kills you. Ireland don't deserve to go! We need a serious overhaul and that means putting the money that is used for the Irish manager into youth football. The FAI needs to start doing it's job and do it properly.
    Again this is a different argument. If O'Neill gets us qualified it pays for his wages, if he doesn't it doesn't and his contract won't be renewed.

If you want to talk about development of the game in this country it's an entirely different debate. Look at his site as an example, most of the traffic is on Liverpool and Man United threads.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Decent for an hour and then hoofball. Jesus had a better time with crosses than our lot did today. Only one decent ball into the box following the sending off.

That said,making the playoffs wasn't lost just tonight. 5 points from 12 from the home qualifiers against Serbia, wales, Austria & Georgia is nowhere near good enough.
    So you think the chance of getting to the play offs is finished?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'd be more critical of MON tonight then any other game during his reign. He weakly bowed to public pressure and moved away from the type of football that got us where we were in the table. We conceded a very uncharacteristic goal allowing an overlapping wing back acres of space. He'll win plaudits from idiot pundits but that's not a style that a team of our extreme limitations will ever succeed playing.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'd be more critical of MON tonight then any other game during his reign. He weakly bowed to public pressure and moved away from the type of football that got us where we were in the table. We conceded a very uncharacteristic goal allowing an overlapping wing back acres of space. He'll win plaudits from idiot pundits but that's not a style that a team of our extreme limitations will ever succeed playing.
    It was 'cowardly' so it was:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Right so here's the diddly dory....to avoid worst runner up...

Before we even kick a ball against Moldova, it looks like our place in the playoffs comes down to the Cyprus v Greece match .... 1 day earlier.

If Greece win even by just the one goal, we'll have to beat Moldova (result won't count for playoff) then beat Wales by at least... wait for it...4 goals to over take Greece in playoff position

Greece's last game is against Gibraltar, so is meaningless for playoffs

On the off chance that Bosnia somehow beat Belgium, Bosnia then go into their final game against Estonia needing a win to over take us in playoff.

Our Gary MacKay's for next month look to be Cyprus :eek:

• Advertisement

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Right so here's the diddly dory....to avoid worst runner up...

Before we even kick a ball against Moldova, it looks like our place in the playoffs comes down to the Cyprus v Greece match .... 1 day earlier.

If Greece win even by just the one goal, we'll have to beat Moldova (result won't count for playoff) then beat Wales by at least... wait for it...4 goals to over take Greece in playoff position

Greece's last game is against Gibraltar, so is meaningless for playoffs

On the off chance that Bosnia somehow beat Belgium, Bosnia then go into their final game against Estonia needing a win to over take us in playoff.

Our Gary MacKay's for next month look to be Cyprus :eek:

Actually, on closer inspection, I might be talking out my hole there

Edit: Inspected again. The other groups kind of require miracles for us to jump ahead of them. Greece/Bosnia group the only real plausible chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Great first 45, then he hauls Hoolihan who made more tackles and interceptions in 45 mins than Whelan has made in his 80 odd caps. Brady wasnt in the game at all, why not take him off?? O'Neill and Keane should be gone tonight, but they won't be because Ireland loves a glorious failure and a moral victory

Edit: Inspected again. The other groups kind of require miracles for us to jump ahead of them. Greece/Bosnia group the only real plausible chance.
    You haven't a clue what you're talking about do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Great first 45, then he hauls Hoolihan who made more tackles and interceptions in 45 mins than Whelan has made in his 80 odd caps. Brady wasnt in the game at all, why not take him off?? O'Neill and Keane should be gone tonight, but they won't be because Ireland loves a glorious failure and a moral victory

Hoolahan clearly wasn't fit for 90 minutes. He has played 3 90 minutes matches since March. He had a groin problem going into the game so 60 minutes is a good shift for a 35 year old roaming midfield

Also to say Brady "wasn't in the game" is silly. Imagine the uproar if he was replaced (and rightly so)

Desperately poor comment, makes you look like you haven't a balls notion what you're talking about.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    You haven't a clue what you're talking about do you?

Well then, either does Dan McDonnell:

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/905193748119867393

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Desperately poor comment, makes you look like you haven't a balls notion what you're talking about.

Hoolohan and Meyler were our stand out players tonight. Neither could get a look in before O'Neills feelings got hurt by the media. Brady was anonymous tonight. O'Neill and Keane should walk tonight, and if not, should be forced out tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Would it, yeah? Only difference was that Meyler was in for Arter. Lost 1-0.

Meyler is much more capable defensively than Arter

Great first 45, then he hauls Hoolihan who made more tackles and interceptions in 45 mins than Whelan has made in his 80 odd caps. because Ireland loves a glorious failure and a moral victory

Well the bold comment is certainly a glorious failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Meyler is much more capable defensively than Arter

Yeah hopefully we won't see Arter for a while, he's been poor in an Irish shirt so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Have to say I'm gutted.

A week ago we we're in a perfect position to qualify, now it's down to the permutations and expectations of others. Our group has been a group full of draws, I have no real confidence second place will even get a playoff, draws are one things goal difference another. Serbia should have top spot wrapped up now. I'm not even confident about the Moldova game, let alone going to Wales and getting a result.

At this point I'm not sure what can we do. I don't know if letting MON go would actually help us that much. We lack a true goalscorer in my eyes and I'm struggling to find where he will come from.

Maybe I'm letting emotions control my post but after 15 years without World Cup football I foolishly let myself believe they wouldn't squander the golden position we we're in. If they have, which looks the case, then it could be 20+ year gap from out last outing in the WC.

Supporting Ireland is heart-breaking at times. We are the sort of team who will finish 2-4 in the qualifying groups. Just enough to give you hope but then fall at the last hurdle. Getting to the Euros was great but after the position we were in to qualify for Russia missing out on even a playoff is a huge failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Have to say I'm gutted.

A week ago we we're in a perfect position to qualify, now it's down to the permutations and expectations of others. Our group has been a group full of draws, I have no real confidence second place will even get a playoff, draws are one things goal difference another. Serbia should have top spot wrapped up now. I'm not even confident about the Moldova game, let alone going to Wales and getting a result.

At this point I'm not sure what can we do. I don't know if letting MON go would actually help us that much. We lack a true goalscorer in my eyes and I'm struggling to find where he will come from.

Maybe I'm letting emotions control my post but after 15 years without World Cup football I foolishly let myself believe they wouldn't squander the golden position we we're in. If they have, which looks the case, then it could be 20+ year gap from out last outing in the WC.

Supporting Ireland is heart-breaking at times. We are the sort of team who will finish 2-4 in the qualifying groups. Just enough to give you hope but then fall at the last hurdle. Getting to the Euros was great but after the position we were in to qualify for Russia missing out on even a playoff is a huge failure.

It's the hope that kills you.

For all of our possession and activity around the final third last night, we created very little actual chances.

There was no one on our side that could unlock it for us.

I think having Coleman on last night would have tipped it in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Rekop dog wrote: »

We needed to win last night. We needed to win due to the fact that our tactics at home to a 10 man Welsh side and away to Georgia were lacking. A draw was no use.

I agree that his tactics were also wrong. There's absolutely no reason why we couldn't have kept our 4-3-3 shape, but with different personnel, looked a lot different. Meyler brings energy. Hoolahan brings the nous. We would have beaten Georgia with those two on the pitch on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yeah hopefully we won't see Arter for a while, he's been poor in an Irish shirt so far.

No he hasn't. He had a cracking game away to Austria, which through absolutely no coincidence was in a midfield of himself, Meyler, Hendrick and Hoolahan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PhilipsR wrote: »
    No he hasn't. He had a cracking game away to Austria, which through absolutely no coincidence was in a midfield of himself, Meyler, Hendrick and Hoolahan.

He was poor the last two games he's played for Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I think the England group gives us the "best" option other than that.
    What we would need is.

1. England not to lose at home to Slovnia (should be nailed on)
    2. Scotland to beat Slovakia (hmmmmm maybe)
    3. Scotland NOT to win in Slovenia (hopefully)

Nalz wrote: »
    He was poor the last two games he's played for Ireland

In fairness, nobody showered themselves in glory in Wales/Austria/Georgia matches. Arter getting a lot of unwarranted stick. And as mentioned, he was very good against Austria, like a lot of players were when we held the ball better and played in a system that players looked comfortable in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Very disappointing and downbeat after the last 2 games. After the game earlier I caught myself staring at the wall saying "fcuk, fcuk, fcuk". Just sums up the general sentiments of the last week and the situation we now find ourselves in. Wouldn't mind but last nights result probably wouldn't have been too disastrous had we win in Georgia the other night. It would've meant top spot probably would've been out of the reckoning but we'd still be in the driving seat for the playoff spot but now we're basically relying on favours from others.
    We'll need Georgia to do us a big favour and hold the Welsh but they'll still have it in their own hands when they play us at home next month. It'll be horrible having to go there needing a result in a winner take all but that's the way it's looking. And this all assumes we won't be the worst second placed team.

It's so depressing given the great start we had to the campaign. As others have said, it's the hope that kills you. No doubt this will be yet another campaign we'll be talking about in years to come saying "if only we got a win in any one of those games instead of a draw..." as we've just fallen short plenty of times before.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Very disappointing and downbeat after the last 2 games. After the game earlier I caught myself staring at the wall saying "fcuk, fcuk, fcuk". Just sums up the general sentiments of the last week and the situation we now find ourselves in. Wouldn't mind but last nights result probably wouldn't have been too disastrous had we win in Georgia the other night. It would've meant top spot probably would've been out of the reckoning but we'd still be in the driving seat for the playoff spot but now we're basically relying on favours from others.
    We'll need Georgia to do us a big favour and hold the Welsh but they'll still have it in their own hands when they play us at home next month. It'll be horrible having to go there needing a result in a winner take all but that's the way it's looking. And this all assumes we won't be the worst second placed team.

It's so depressing given the great start we had to the campaign. As others have said, it's the hope that kills you. No doubt this will be yet another campaign we'll be talking about in years to come saying "if only we got a win in any one of those games instead of a draw..." as we've just fallen short plenty of times before.

Georgia match against Wales is irrelevant, as we need to beat Wales regardless.

Irish route to playoff
    (1) Win last 2 games
    (2) Bosnia take 4pts from last 2 games in Group H
    (3) Greece drop points in Cyprus in Group H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Georgia match against Wales is irrelevant, as we need to beat Wales regardless.

Irish route to playoff
    (1) Win last 2 games
    (2) Bosnia take 4pts from last 2 games in Group H
    (3) Greece drop points in Cyprus in Group H
    Even if we win our two games the points marked in bold are still a big ask to both happen. Bosnia have Belgium at home and Estonia away as their last two games. Belgium will beat them if they are bothered.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement