Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Even if we win our two games the points marked in bold are still a big ask to both happen. Bosnia have Belgium at home and Estonia away as their last two games. Belgium will beat them if they are bothered.

Bosnia need to get 6 points. Beating Belgium? Can't see it happening.

Greece winning their match by even 1 goal means we would need to beat Wales by 4 clear goals :eek:

Greece dropping points is really our only hope.

And just to another layer of misery, Greece play a day before our next game, so if things don't go our way in that match,our campaign will be all but over before we even kick a ball against Moldova. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

If we don't qualify I think MON and Keane have to go. We didn't lose out last night on qualifying, we lost out on tactical ineptness against wales at home, austria at home and georgia away. The idea of the goalie, CB's and CM's getting the ball and punting it as hard as they can up to the CF is cave man soccer and doesn't work as you end up exhausted chasing the ball all game. When you have posession the other team has to chase, that's what we should do. I don't buy into the idea that we dont have the players to do it. Georgia have no one of note and play nice football,iceland play good stuff and northern ireland play nice ball as well. Anyways what im getting at is that this idea of driving it as hard as one can up the field has to come from the manager. I watch the premier league and championship every week and I rarely see these players do this for their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

We're not out yet lads.

If we get to the play off I think MONKEANO should be kept on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I still think Hendrick missing both games severely weakened us.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Georgia match against Wales is irrelevant, as we need to beat Wales regardless.

Irish route to playoff
    (1) Win last 2 games
    (2) Bosnia take 4pts from last 2 games in Group H
    (3) Greece drop points in Cyprus in Group H

Why are you ignoring all the other groups?

On a quick look, if Scotland were to beat Slovakia, we'd be in with the chance of it.

I'll say it again, there's no point in looking at this until the last set of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

TheCitizen wrote: »
    So you think the chance of getting to the play offs is finished?:pac:

Yep, the current set up isn't good enough to get a result in wales and we'll struggle to break down Moldova.

As it happens I think wales may drop points in Georgia but will still have enough to beat Ireland in Cardiff. It's very hard for an international team to change its style over the course of a few days training and our style isn't conducive to playing on the front foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yes because McCarthy has been such a success.

would be happy not to see McCarthy playing again for a long time. His good games are too far apart, and the horsesh1t about Everton every time just causes headaches.
    Meyler to take the defensive midfield from now until he can't walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Meyler was excellent. He'll be a first pick from now on.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Yep, the current set up isn't good enough to get a result in wales and we'll struggle to break down Moldova.

As it happens I think wales may drop points in Georgia but will still have enough to beat Ireland in Cardiff. It's very hard for an international team to change its style over the course of a few days training and our style isn't conducive to playing on the front foot.
    Wales will need to win in Cardiff as well as it looks like a draw even if it meant they finish 2nd wouldn't be enough to get a play off spot. So that game in Cardiff is a winner takes all match. They might be bookies favourites being at home, but it's a one off game and I don't think home advantage will count for much. I'd give us a 50-50 chance to win that.

Wales will need to win in Cardiff as well as it looks like a draw even if it meant they finish 2nd wouldn't be enough to get a play off spot. So that game in Cardiff is a winner takes all match. They might be bookies favourites being at home, but it's a one off game and I don't think home advantage will count for much. I'd give us a 50-50 chance to win that.

They have goal scorers, we don't. And for that reason we're out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Been studying the other groups to see if there's a way we'd get into the play offs if we beat Moldova and draw with Wales and Wales drop point in Georgia. There really isn't!

On the other hand, 2 wins gets us 2nd and 13 points (discounting the Moldova results) and I'd be somewhat confident that at least one of the runners up from groups A, E, F, H or I would fall below that

Group A runners-up will be Sweden who will have at least 14...so we won't catch them

Group E runners-up will be either Montenegro or Denmark. Probably Montenegro who will finish on at leats 13 with a very superior goal difference...so we won't catch them

Group F runners-up is difficult to predict with 1 point seperating 2nd and 4th. If Slovakia get 2nd, we have a chance because they have 12 points that count with only one counting fixture remaining. away to Scotland. Best chance is that Scotland beat Slovakia at Hampden and then lose to Slovenia away who in turn lose to England at Wembley. If those 3 results all went out way, we'd be in if we get the 2 wins ourselves.

Group H runners up will be either Bosnia or Greece. I'd say it'll be Bosnia with a home game against an already qualified Belgium who'll be treating it as a friendly and away to Estonia to finish and a draw and a win should do it for them which would give them 12 counting points which would also get us in - Just hope Belgium don't go there and not care. It would be better for us if Greece got 2nd, but I don't think they will

Group I. We should hope that Iceland finish second as they only have 1 counting fixture remaining too - which would give them 13 counting points even if they beat Turkey, but a goal difference 3 ahead of ours right now. If they draw with Turkey, it wouldn't come to goal difference at all and we'd be in. If anyone else finishes 2nd in that group, we're probably screwed.

So if we win the 2 games, I think we'd get in. If Wales finish 2nd but screw up against Georgia, they'll probably lose out even if they beat us.

I think

Gavlor wrote: »
    They have goal scorers, we don't. And for that reason we're out.
    In your opinion and you're wrong.

As it stands we're not out. As it stands if we beat Moldova and Wales win in Georgia that last match is a winners take all match, both side needing to win a draw would leave Wales 2nd but likely no play off, so both sides need to win. So, to sum it up, you're wrong we're not out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Maybe I'm being negative here, but even as a very optimistic fan until we actually beat Moldova I'm not looking into these permutations.

I'm well aware we could qualify, still technically a chance of finishing top (as slim as is).
    But right now we need to beat Moldova. We let slip and beating Moldova should be the big priority before we look at what happens elsewhere.

As for the Wales game, we'll better be able to assess it after they play Georgia and we play Moldova but I am not very confident of us being able to go and get a result against them in Wales if it is a case of them being fired up knowing beating us sends them forward. We showed previously at home when a great opportunity arose but we failed to beat them.

There is no one in the squad that gives me the belief they will net an important goal to save us. It's mainly hope that as a collective they can do it. A lot seem to be chalking it down as if we'll just go and beat Wales and Moldova and be through, as if easy tasks.

Let's see how we get on against Moldova first, and pray in the month between we unearth some goal scoring machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It really is amazing how many people are going with the line "we didn't lose it last night, we lost it in other games". I've been saying all along that playing open football is the worst thing we could possibly do, we did so last night and guess what.... we lost. We hadn't lost before in this campaign, we lost last night ....with a man extra for twenty odd minutes. People seem more satisfied when we adapt a more naive attacking approach and leave with that old "moral victors" tag.

Ourselves and Northern Ireland were succeeding of late by following a model of minimal possession football and keeping rock solid defensive shape throughout games. They stayed true to their philosophy, we moved away from it last night and paid the ultimate penalty.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It really is amazing how many people are going with the line "we didn't lose it last night, we lost it in other games". I've been saying all along that playing open football is the worst thing we could possibly do, we did so last night and guess what.... we lost. We hadn't lost before in this campaign, we lost last night ....with a man extra for twenty odd minutes. People seem more satisfied when we adapt a more naive attacking approach and leave with that old "moral victors" tag.

Ourselves and Northern Ireland were succeeding of late by following a model of minimal possession football and keeping rock solid defensive shape throughout games. They stayed true to their philosophy, we moved away from it last night and paid the ultimate penalty.
    What? We got beat by the best side in the Group last night, that's what happened. That and we didn't get any luck, we didn't get a penalty we should've got. The way we played last night was the right way to play ( a far better way than what we did against Georgia anyway) and it wasn't naive at all. I've no idea where you're coming from with that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Coming away last night was a downer but half expected I guess.

We played well, but just not anywhere near composed in final third.

O Neill has to go they're no question about it now, but they're other problems too within Irish football. We are relying in a 35 yo to change it all around. They're very little talent coming through. The FAI seem be in position of hoping a English or Northern Irish player declares for us. We need be developing our own players.

O Neill is at fault for this campaign but he is only part of the problem. They're bigger long term picture here and unless FAI start getting their act together(which I dont sadly) then we be struggling for whole unless we inherit a gem or 2.

Coming away last night was a downer but half expected I guess.

We played well, but just not anywhere near composed in final third.

O Neill has to go they're no question about it now, but they're other problems too within Irish football. We are relying in a 35 yo to change it all around. They're very little talent coming through. The FAI seem be in position of hoping a English or Northern Irish player declares for us. We need be developing our own players.

O Neill is at fault for this campaign but he is only part of the problem. They're bigger long term picture here and unless FAI start getting their act together(which I dont sadly) then we be struggling for whole unless we inherit a gem or 2.
    The Group isn't over yet. You can save your obituaries or eat your words (again) on the night of October 7th.

BS

We played good enough football in Austria and we won. Had we played like that against Wales, Austria and Georgia we would have won 2 of those games at least.

We played Sweden off park in Euros and got better if Italy by playing football but being sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

If we had have played like we did last night in the other two home games, we'd have picked up 4 points minimum for me. So at least be a point better off. 1 win and 1 loss is better than 2 draws, ESPECIALLY when the last 2nd place team doesn't get in, which has been my worry all along.

• Advertisement

BS

We played good enough football in Austria and we won. Had we played like that against Wales, Austria and Georgia we would have won 2 of those games at least.

We played Sweden off park in Euros and got better if Italy by playing football but being sensible.

Austria had 60% of possession is that game, they had 7 shots on target in comparison to our 1. They completed 360 passes compared to our 132. You're either bad at analysing games or letting the positive result block your memory. But they're very much O'Neill stats. Sweden similarly dominated us on stats. We did have the upper hand vs Italy but they had already qualified, rested lots of players and weren't all that bothered that game, so definitely an asterisk beside that one.

Last night we had more possession, double the goal attempts, and abandoned our defensive shape that got us all our good results under MON over last few campaign. We'd have likely lost to Wales and Austria too with their superior technical ability had we played that way, I'm sure most are too blind to see that but I'm afraid that's reality.

Austria had 60% of possession is that game, they had 7 shots on target in comparison to our 1. They completed 360 passes compared to our 132. You're either bad at analysing games or letting the positive result block your memory. But they're very much O'Neill stats. Sweden similarly dominated us on stats. We did have the upper hand vs Italy but they had already qualified, rested lots of players and weren't all that bothered that game, so definitely an asterisk beside that one.

Last night we had more possession, double the goal attempts, and abandoned our defensive shape that got us all our good results under MON over last few campaign. We'd have likely lost to Wales and Austria too with their superior technical ability had we played that way, I'm sure most are too blind to see that but I'm afraid that's reality.
    We didn't abandon our defensive shape last night?

I think you're at it.

Passes are nice stat and they do have there place, but we were clever with the ball in a Vienna. We also pressed much better in Austria. We both Hit woodwork once each . Austria had 2 very good chances but so did we and we took one, Walters also being literally inches from a tap in.

We had less passes last night too but we were far better with ball then Georgia. It's not just passes it's how effective you are with the ball. Leicester had less then 50% of ball in majority of matches they won the league but they were clinical when they had it. You're way too black and white on analysis.

We didn't abandon our defensive shape last night?

I think you're at it.

We were committing too many men forward and leaving ourselves vulnerable. We'd usually have a back four and a midfield 5 sitting rigidly behind the ball the majority of the game. We'd never have allowed the space for an overlapping full back to expose us usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

It didn't help that Jonny Walters could hardly move. How was he still on the pitch at the end?

We were committing too many men forward and leaving ourselves vulnerable. We'd usually have a back four and a midfield 5 sitting rigidly behind the ball the majority of the game. We'd never have allowed the space for an overlapping full back to expose us usually.
    You're talking about the goal. Coleman has been badly missed. Christie struggled last night.

I don't think we committed too many forward at all. i think we got the balance fairly right. They made less chances but their chances were more clear cut and crucially they took their chance.

The tactics and attitude last night were fine. When Wes went off though the diamond should've been abandoned and we should've got McClean out wide in tandem with Brady overlapping with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Group isn't over yet. You can save your obituaries or eat your words (again) on the night of October 7th.

O'Neil Defence bot.

Activated.

What? We got beat by the best side in the Group last night, that's what happened. That and we didn't get any luck, we didn't get a penalty we should've got. The way we played last night was the right way to play ( a far better way than what we did against Georgia anyway) and it wasn't naive at all. I've no idea where you're coming from with that post.

They way we played for 60 odd minutes last night was the right way to play after which we reverted to form. HOOOOOOOFFFFFFF. The last 15 minutes in particular hoofing the ball on top of a well drilled defence was exetermly naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What? We got beat by the best side in the Group last night, that's what happened.

Where we though? Serbia weren't great and as you said we should have gotten a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

A team of C players with a few B players. It's shows. No imagination or play makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

noodler wrote: »
    O'Neil Defence bot.

Activated.

I'm not MONs biggest fan but this seems to be a recurring trend lately on here. Was similar during the Euros qualifiers (before we got lucky) where anyone who maintained hope was labelled a defender of O'Neil and there was a strong crowd wanting him out, who took it on to disregard any posters who tried to clutch at positives or hope and label them simply as O'Neil defenders.

Personally don't see us getting to the WC and can't believe we squandered a great chance but if people want to keep optimism I don't think that means they will defend O'Neil tooth and nail, rather want to believe, hope (a current theme here) that they will see us in a WC. It is no basis to not take them seriously in my opinion.

I'm torn on O'Neils future with Ireland. Yes he brought us to the Euros and we did ourselves proud, but if we fail to even make a playoff spot after the position we are in will he be able to maintain his job?

The problem I'm having is who would realistically replace him? I'm struggling to think of what manager would come in that would make significant changes. Who would be the man to replace him?

Realistically Keane is probably one of the favourites (I can't see us improving if so), then maybe Chris Hughton (currently employed in PL so has to be unlikely), Owen Coyle (just after a poor spell with Blackburn).
    Thinking of managers out of jobs such as Moyes the only one I would really like is Sam Allardyce, no chance in it happening but would be gas if he took over and did well, I can picture him nearly spitting out the chewing gum celebrating our winning goal in Wembley ;)

Jokes aside who would people want to be next manager out of curiosity? Or rather who would be a realistic option? Be interesting to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The problem we have is we need to over perform to finish 2nd or higher in groups, usually.

In the Euros, now that theyve changed it to 24 teams, thats grand, top 2 go through, you finish 3rd and youre in a play off, usually with other teams in and around your level so for the foreseeable future, we should manage to get to the Euros.

However, we dont have that cushion in the WC campaign, the sad fact is that the group, or least finishing 2nd, looked nailed on if we managed to beat Georgia away.

The fact that after this round of games, we've won 1 point and are 3rd and needing a lot of things to go our way after putting ourselves in that position, is a real shame. Wales winning their two games, without looking like a good team, is a killer.

You want to at the very least push for a playoff place and I'd say that was the expectation when the draw for the group was made but as usual with Ireland, its the hope that kills ya and if we do finish 3rd, its probably par for the course.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm not MONs biggest fan but this seems to be a recurring trend lately on here. Was similar during the Euros qualifiers (before we got lucky) where anyone who maintained hope was labelled a defender of O'Neil and there was a strong crowd wanting him out, who took it on to disregard any posters who tried to clutch at positives or hope and label them simply as O'Neil defenders.

Personally don't see us getting to the WC and can't believe we squandered a great chance but if people want to keep optimism I don't think that means they will defend O'Neil tooth and nail, rather want to believe, hope (a current theme here) that they will see us in a WC. It is no basis to not take them seriously in my opinion.

I'm torn on O'Neils future with Ireland. Yes he brought us to the Euros and we did ourselves proud, but if we fail to even make a playoff spot after the position we are in will he be able to maintain his job?

The problem I'm having is who would realistically replace him? I'm struggling to think of what manager would come in that would make significant changes. Who would be the man to replace him?

Realistically Keane is probably one of the favourites (I can't see us improving if so), then maybe Chris Hughton (currently employed in PL so has to be unlikely), Owen Coyle (just after a poor spell with Blackburn).
    Thinking of managers out of jobs such as Moyes the only one I would really like is Sam Allardyce, no chance in it happening but would be gas if he took over and did well, I can picture him nearly spitting out the chewing gum celebrating our winning goal in Wembley ;)

Jokes aside who would people want to be next manager out of curiosity? Or rather who would be a realistic option? Be interesting to know.

I'm not necessarily against him either.

He had a poor start as manager but from the Germany game to the Austria game there was nothing but positive results (bar the Belgium hammering).

It all feels very far away now though and we are back to where we started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd already mentioned Allardyce, Stephen Kenny would be worth a look too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

tigger123 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm gutted.

A week ago we we're in a perfect position to qualify, now it's down to the permutations and expectations of others. Our group has been a group full of draws, I have no real confidence second place will even get a playoff, draws are one things goal difference another. Serbia should have top spot wrapped up now. I'm not even confident about the Moldova game, let alone going to Wales and getting a result.

At this point I'm not sure what can we do. I don't know if letting MON go would actually help us that much. We lack a true goalscorer in my eyes and I'm struggling to find where he will come from.

Maybe I'm letting emotions control my post but after 15 years without World Cup football I foolishly let myself believe they wouldn't squander the golden position we we're in. If they have, which looks the case, then it could be 20+ year gap from out last outing in the WC.

Supporting Ireland is heart-breaking at times. We are the sort of team who will finish 2-4 in the qualifying groups. Just enough to give you hope but then fall at the last hurdle. Getting to the Euros was great but after the position we were in to qualify for Russia missing out on even a playoff is a huge failure.

It's the hope that kills you.

For all of our possession and activity around the final third last night, we created very little actual chances.

There was no one on our side that could unlock it for us.

I think having Coleman on last night would have tipped it in our favour.
    was thinking that myself. Ironic that Taylor is back for Wales and they are flying now. They really did us that night in Dublin. We should have won that match too. Gutted that we have thrown this away. Would be a sickener to see Wales. We will never get a better group to qualify out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Stephen Kenny has never been proven as a manager who could manage under pressure. Kilmarnock and Dundalk are cushy compared to Ireland which is becoming an extremely high pressure job due to very high expectations of success for a country with a domestic league that doesn't get even get middling attendances.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Stephen Kenny has never been proven as a manager who could manage under pressure. Kilmarnock and Dundalk are cushy compared to Ireland which is becoming an extremely high pressure job due to very high expectations of success for a country with a domestic league that doesn't get even get middling attendances.

Michael O'Neill hasnt done too bad making the jump from LOI to international football

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah, you're right. Let's keep the status quo. Jobs for the boys who'll keep the same prehistoric gameplan. There is no room in the game for taking a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

3 points since last November is shocking. We had the group in our hands at Christmas and worst case scenario I thought we would get 2nd place. Biggest bottle job in a qualifying campaign since 2006 (considering we started off well), don't have much confidence in us to go to Wales and win but maybe I'll be a bit more positive in a months time. This group was there for the taking, the Georgia result was really the one that cost us.

Yeah, you're right. Let's keep the status quo. Jobs for the boys who'll keep the same prehistoric gameplan. There is no room in the game for taking a chance.

Ok roll on with Stephen Kenny who'll introduce Ireland to breakneck, all attacking football and a remarkably free scoring team from a squad with absolute no goal scorers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I love johnny walters, hes been an absolute hero for us but he doesn't have the legs or energy that made him such a weapon for us.

I think we have a long and tough few years ahead of us whoever the manager is with the quality and age profile if the squad

But........

Wer not playing, Spain or Germany or france or Belgium, its Wales, ****ing Wales.

One thing we havent lost is our fighting spirit and our players 100 percent wont be going to wales with the same defeatist attattitude a lot of our fans have.
    They wont fear wales in the slightest, we still are very much in it, disappointing as the last week has been

• Advertisement

The abuse Cyrus Christie is getting on twitter is pretty shameful. Real dickish stuff you wouldn't expect from Irish fans to give one of our own.

noodler wrote: »
    O'Neil Defence bot.

Activated.
    Boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The abuse Cyrus Christie is getting on twitter is pretty shameful. Real dickish stuff you wouldn't expect from Irish fans to give one of our own.

Hate twitter, especially when it comes to famous peoples pages. I generally feel that people are largely decent, but then you see twitter and have a very sudden and very visceral reminder of just how shit a lot of people can be.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Hate twitter, especially when it comes to famous peoples pages. I generally feel that people are largely decent, but then you see twitter and have a very sudden and very visceral reminder of just how shit a lot of people can be.

Yeah that sums it up pretty well. There are so so many idiots out there.

tastyt wrote: »
    I love johnny walters, hes been an absolute hero for us but he doesn't have the legs or energy that made him such a weapon for us.

I think we have a long and tough few years ahead of us whoever the manager is with the quality and age profile if the squad

But........

Wer not playing, Spain or Germany or france or Belgium, its Wales, ****ing Wales.

One thing we havent lost is our fighting spirit and our players 100 percent wont be going to wales with the same defeatist attattitude a lot of our fans have.
    They wont fear wales in the slightest, we still are very much in it, disappointing as the last week has been
    Watch out, someone might call you an O'Neill defender bot with a comment like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Abuse over what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

People who abuse players on Twitter are ****in idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Twitter.....giving gobshs everywhere a platform to talk absolute unadulterated scutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm caught between being disappointed and angry at our terrible performance and ugly style of football, and simply accepting that our players aren't very good, and that regardless of style we punch above our weight in terms of end results.

Looking at Serbia, albeit they aren't a top side, they do have quality across the park - players who start for good teams in top leagues, be it England, Germany, Spain or Italy. Our side in comparison is pretty much a blend of championship players, players from weak EPL sides and players who don't start for their EPL team. Players who may be physically strong and hardworking, but lack quality. Pound for pound, there's no question that we aren't nearly as good. We huff and puff and try our hearts out no doubt, but in terms of skill, genuine quality, ability to create chances etc. - we aren't there.

I hate the way we play football and have played for many years, but it's pretty much who we are and it allows for our greatest chance of success at this point. We aren't producing players who can pass and dribble with the ability of Tadic, Matic or Kolarov, and that's comparing us to a sub-elite side like Serbia. There must be a problem with the way we develop and produce players, because anyone who does have genuine ability is a dime in a dozen, and until that's fixed we'll continue to play hoofball because it's what we're most suited to with our raw materials.

• Advertisement

tastyt wrote: »

But........

Walters was only declared fit on the Wednesday or Thursday in his defence. Also less useful on the right when we are long balling to long as in Georgia.

He actually seemed to be stuck on the left alot in the game last night.

Nevertheless, Irelands saviour more times than I can count over the last five years or so and as recently as the Austria home game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement