Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

howiya wrote: »
    I'd like to see Randolph speed up his distribution of the ball where possible. He holds onto it far too long in a lot of instances
    Yep, he looks a bit cagey at times with his distribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stephen Kenny wouldn't be given the time to succeed. Lost two or three games in a row and there'd be huge pressure on him because he didn't come from an English club.

Look at Michael O'Neill, one win in his first 18 games and he was given time to turn things around and build his own team. No way Kenny would get even have that time if he wasn't winning.

If Kenny drew with Georgia the firing squad better be ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It was just a suggestion, no one on here is on the selection panel.

There is no way that he'll get a job once he leave the Ireland job. Made a mess of Sunderland and screwed Villa by walking out 5 days before the season started. He's a like Alan Curbishley, the game has passed him by.
    Not one job in the world that he might get :rolleyes:
    He would have plenty of work if he wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

yabadabado wrote: »
    Not one job in the world that he might get :rolleyes:
    He would have plenty of work if he wants it.

He dragged Aston Villa to 3 6th place finishes in a row. Disgraceful. Why never win the title?

Stephen Kenny wouldn't be given the time to succeed. Lost two or three games in a row and there'd be huge pressure on him because he didn't come from an English club.

Look at Michael O'Neill, one win in his first 18 games and he was given time to turn things around and build his own team. No way Kenny would get even have that time if he wasn't winning.
    If any Ireland manager lost 3 in a row there would be pressure on ,nature of the job.Notjing to do with what club he arrived from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Trond wrote: »
    howiya wrote: »
    I'd like to see Randolph speed up his distribution of the ball where possible. He holds onto it far too long in a lot of instances

Id like to see Westwood full stop. Clearly our best keeper.

Yep, think the Georgia goal went past Randolph very easily. Don't think he inspires confidence. That back line needs a more experienced head between the posts and I'm surprised O'Neill hasn't brought in Westwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Patww79 wrote: »
    He is a good looking guy alright :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Patww79 wrote: »

He probably better than Randolph as well. Hes a bit inconsistent for me. Capable of making a worldie and then letting himself down with poor positioning. Westwood is far more experienced and solid.

At this stage I reckon there might be something personal between him and MON. Hes been Championship keeper of the year for the last 2 seasons.

• Advertisement

They fell out while both were at Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Where were you last summer? Did you spend a year in Tibet or somewhere?

Last summer?? I watched a few games of football. We won 1 game against a side already qualified and playing their second string. Did I miss something brilliant??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Trond wrote: »
    He probably better than Randolph as well. Hes a bit inconsistent for me. Capable of making a worldie and then letting himself down with poor positioning. Westwood is far more experienced and solid.

At this stage I reckon there might be something personal between him and MON. Hes been Championship keeper of the year for the last 2 seasons.

I've told the story on here before, but they had a big falling out at Sunderland. Westwood didn't feel he was fit enough to play with flu and Mignolet had to be rushed back from a facial injury to play with a mask on.

Sunderland won that game 1-0 and Westwood would go on to play only 3 Capital One Cup games for Sunderland over the next 14 months under O'Neill.

Last summer?? I watched a few games of football. We won 1 game against a side already qualified and playing their second string. Did I miss something brilliant??
    You seem to take these things for granted. The previous time we got to a tournament it was with Trap and we were beat out the gate in all 3 group games. The managers we had previous to Trap going back to Mick McCarthy didn't get us qualified, didn't even get us into play offs to qualify for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Michael O'Neill had a similar record to Kenny in the LOI when he got the NI job. Look at what he's done there. I know there are plenty of ROI fans who have a snottier attitude to NI but they could very well make back-to-back tournaments.

Why not show some faith in what LOI managers are capable of? Because of what happened with Kerr? What are other Irish managers doing at the moment? Apart from Hughton, I don't think there are any other Irish coaches knocking about. I don't think Keane has done enough to step up in his managerial career and I don't think he's reliable enough.

I think a manager who has experience winning titles and trophies and playing (and progressing) against stronger sides from different countries has more relevant experience than, say, someone managing in the English lower leagues.

All this is IF we INSIST on hiring an Irish manager (which I think is a very restrictive mindset to adopt). I'd be happy for Kenny or Hughton getting a go.

Let's see what happens with MON in the remainder of the campaign but what we've shown in the last two games has made me lose a lot of faith in this setup. Who knows what could happen in the next two games but I really don't see us beating Wales which is what we need to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sorry what you're saying in this comment is crap. What you said in bold there happened a lot v Georgia and it shouldn't have, but it did not happen v Serbia or in a lot of other games. You're just making up stuff now.

Fairly long ball again Serbia away, Austria at home and Wales at home.

No shame in admitting it.

As well as sitting deep inviting pressure on until a red card or concession of a goal forces your hand.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »

As well as sitting deep inviting pressure on until a red card or concession of a goal forces your hand.
    They play a lot of long ball. so do Northern Ireland and Iceland. Sitting deep? Sat deep v Georgia. Against Serbia there's posters here saying we were too adventurous and left ourselves exposed at the back. It's hard to win.

It's down to results at the end of the day. If we beat Wales talk of sitting too deep by some on here or leaving ourselves exposed at the back by others won't be heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Surely Kenny is a great option. What Dundalk did against the likes of Hajduk Split, Bate, Maccabi, Warsaw, and Zenit is the exact type of thing that we need to do consistently.

The problem with MoN is that there is no system and no real game plan. It is evident that the players don't have a clue what to do and if there is a game plan but the players aren't listening then this still falls at the feet of the manager.

I don't understand why people think that we should constantly praise the players for their effort and honesty. Their effort is awful at times. Georgia being the best example. Also, why should we always clap the players regardless. They deserve to be booed off for the sh*te that they put out. I am a season ticket holder and I constantly question am I getting value for my money. I struggle to get anyone to go with me when one of the other season ticket holders can't go with me, cos the team is that bad.

I could get behind a team who has a plan or a system and who give it their all. That is what Stephen Kenny or another good manager could do. Coleman and O'Neill are doing it for Wales and NI, respectively. Those are not very good teams but they have a plan and a system coming from the manager. People know their role and what is expected of them. NI don't play good football but it is evident that they are doing their utmost to win games. That is all we can expect.

I just don't see how anyone can be happy with the Ireland team under MoN. People need to realise that improvements aren't always linear. Give the job to an up and coming manager with new ideas, so what if we struggle for a while but we can see that there is a grand scheme in place and something which might work in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You only have look how crazy O Neill is on Saturday. Defend a 1-0 for 87 min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

You only have look how crazy O Neill is on Saturday. Defend a 1-0 for 87 min

??? Are you suggesting we didn't have an attack mentality on Saturday? Because it is pretty clear we did.

??? Are you suggesting we didn't have an attack mentality on Saturday? Because it is pretty clear we did.

What was it

• Advertisement

What was it

:confused: I genuinely haven't a clue what you are suggesting here? Are you honestly questioning the mentality of the team was anything other than to try and win that game from the off? And once we went behind, are you posing the suggestion we sat back and didn't try and equalise.

Actually, don't answer that! You are going to argue the converse anyway so I amn't ars*d getting into a, ahem, debate, about it.

Or maybe I am completely missing what you are saying here!

:confused: I genuinely haven't a clue what you are suggesting here? Are you honestly questioning the mentality of the team was anything other than to try and win that game from the off? And once we went behind, are you posing the suggestion we sat back and didn't try and equalise.

Actually, don't answer that! You are going to argue the converse anyway so I amn't ars*d getting into a, ahem, debate, about it.

Or maybe I am completely missing what you are saying here!

I think we had awful mentality on Saturday . We scored and then just sat back and hoofed and our balls were closer to Airplanes flying overvhead then their goal. I was at the game so i saw no highlights but to say we had a attacking mentality is false (Saturday v Georgia as we were never behind like you said).

Maybe your mixing it up with Serbia? If so thats fine. I had no problem with Tuesday in that sense.

I think we had awful mentality on Saturday . We scored and then just sat back and hoofed and our balls were closer to Airplanes flying overvhead then their goal. I was at the game so i saw no highlights but to say we had a attacking mentality is false (Saturday v Georgia as we were never behind like you said).

Maybe your mixing it up with Serbia? If so thats fine. I had no problem with Tuesday in that sense.

Sh*t!

Sorry, my apologies!!

Thought you were referring to.................... TUESDAY :D:D:D:D Ha!

Sh*t!

Sorry, my apologies!!

Thought you were referring to.................... TUESDAY :D:D:D:D Ha!

No problem.

No agree with you about Serbia. Thought we went out with right frame of mind we just cane up short and panicked when up a man. But we defo went out to win at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hard to know where to stand regarding the argument for Kenny to be given the job. He has worked wonders with Dundalk, and as a poster said above their performances in the Europa League the past year or two are exactly the way we want this Irish team to set up against teams. However, does an international manager get enough time with his players to get them playing like this? Or is his job simply to get results in the short period of time they have to work with their players? I genuinely do not know the answer to this question.

If O'Neill was to go, I think Kenny is as good of a choice as any to get the job, but I fear he could get lynched if he didn't get off to a good start. If it were up to me the next 2 games would determine O'Neills future, but I think he will get another two years regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

People saying kenny should take a job with the underage or u 21 team and see how he gets on...

Are ye mad?? Talk about career suicide.

This is a guy that has done an amazing job and managed in champions league qualifiers and europa league group stages, a man with ambition to move up in the world of football.

To take a job with the biggest sham of an association in the country as an underage coach would be the end of him, hed end up like noel king or paul doolin.

Im still not sure if he desrves the big job but its an insult to suggest an underage job to prove himself, you prove yourself a lot more in big competitive European nights against very good teams more than you do against Georgias schoolboy internationals or whoever

Way better off both financially and professionally staying where he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Where were you last summer? Did you spend a year in Tibet or somewhere?

Is it really necessary to be so f*cky with people? Can you not just make your point without little jibes and name calling?

tigger123 wrote: »
    Is it really necessary to be so f*cky with people? Can you not just make your point without little jibes and name calling?
    The poster I was quoting was cherry picking parts of a 30 year managerial career to continue his flawed argument. He left out many successes in that 30 year career to push his points including last summer's good showing in the Euros and you're accusing me of indulging in "little iibes"?

If posters like the one I quoted there are going to indulge in inaccurate rants on here, I think it's fair game that they're opinions are challenged for it.

The poster I was quoting was cherry picking parts of a 30 year managerial career to continue his flawed argument. He left out many successes in that 30 year career to push his points including last summer's good showing in the Euros and you're accusing me of indulging in "little iibes"?

If posters like the one I quoted there are going to indulge in inaccurate rants on here, I think it's fair game that they're opinions are challenged for it.

The post I quoted was just one example. I could have picked any number throughout this thread and the Ireland v Serbia thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but Coleman resumed (light) training with Everton today.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0907/903128-seamus-coleman-returns-to-training-with-everton/

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned but Coleman resumed (light) training with Everton today.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0907/903128-seamus-coleman-returns-to-training-with-everton/

Pity he is not going be option for October. A huge loss

The post I quoted was just one example. I could have picked any number throughout this thread and the Ireland v Serbia thread.

Sorry, that's just a bit random. What are you complaining about exactly?

josip wrote: »

Great news. He was missed big time.

Please see my first reply.

Please see my first reply.
    You're refusing to specify what your complaint is, so I will dismiss it, whatever it is/was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Do you suffer from short-term memory loss?

You seem to forget what you are arguing about mid-stream quite a bit.

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Maybe he's run out of automated responses

- doom and gloom merchants
    -fairweather supporters(aimed at a guy who had been to the match In Georgia)
    -Sunderland fanboys

I'm sure he will in enlighten us with more though.

Maybe he's run out of automated responses

- doom and gloom merchants
    -fairweather supporters(aimed at a guy who had been to the match In Georgia)
    -Sunderland fanboys

I'm sure he will in enlighten us with more though.
    OK WinnyThePoo:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Bring back Brian Kerr! :pac:

I'd say Brian has ticked Israel and Switzerland off his holiday list, still mad to think he has the highest win percent of any Irish manager, just messed up on both occasions to qualify.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Adamocovic wrote: »

I'd say Brian has ticked Israel and Switzerland off his holiday list, still mad to think he has the highest win percent of any Irish manager, just messed up on both occasions to qualify.
    He didn't get the same crack of the whip a so called big name would have got .

He was a bit defensive in the media and if I recall correctly was a tentative in a game or two where we should have been more assertive...

Sounds pretty much like every manager we have had . The way he was not given that extra campaign goes to show how the ' Profile " of the manager makes a difference.....

I suppose we will have to settle for Guardiola / Mourinho or some Flash Harry or other........:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

blinding wrote: »

He was a bit defensive in the media and if I recall correctly was a tentative in a game or two where we should have been more assertive...

Sounds pretty much like every manager we have had . The way he was not given that extra campaign goes to show how the ' Profile " of the manager makes a difference.....

I suppose we will have to settle for Guardiola / Mourinho or some Flash Harry or other........:D:D

Harry Redknapp? :P

I quite liked Kerr. I know we didn't play brilliant football at times. Should have finished top two in qualifying group had we not drawn with Israel last minute. There were rumours around the time that a few senior members of the team had lost faith in his tactics and wanted a change however.

Maybe I just remember him a bit fonder since he was followed by Staunton haha!

blinding wrote: »

I think Kerr should've got another campaign at the time as well especially when he was sacked they had noone lined up to replace him and Steve Staunton ended up totally out of his depth in the job.

If we don't beat Wales, posters here demanding that MON should go need to think about who we can afford or attract to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I wonder would Big Sam want to take it on? Not saying id like to see him there but im sure he would like another crack at international management. What is he even at these days?

Adamocovic wrote: »

I wonder would he be interested in the junior teams again. The senior squad really benefited (eventually) from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

alta stare wrote: »
    I wonder would Big Sam want to take it on? Not saying id like to see him there but im sure he would like another crack at international management. What is he even at these days?

Probably back dancing at some nightclub in Marbella :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Sean Maguire just scored his first goal for Preston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Sean Maguire just scored his first goal for Preston.

First of many I hope and think!

Randolph is having a cracking start to his Boro career. Only conceded twice in 7 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement