Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Just scored the winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

paulie21 wrote: »
    Just scored the winner

Gives a completely different meaning now to "throwing in the towell"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Sean Maguire just scored his first goal for Preston.
    Hallelujah :P

paulie21 wrote: »
    Just scored the winner
    Halleluyah:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Sean Maguire just scored his first goal for Preston.

Its madness given our striking issue that Maguire isnt playing for us. Id put him ahead of Long all day.....well long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »
    He's worth a shot for sure, but a few months ago he was playing in the League of Ireland and has only just scored his first goal for a mid table championship club. He's a fair ways off Shane Long at this stage.
    Be no harm giving both a run at some stage if the team wasn't playing lump ball anyway.

To be fair tho Long has done nothing worth talking about for Ireland. Unfortunately he isnt good enough and maybe someone else ie Maguire is the option.

Maybe its time we went with the likes of Horgan Maguire etc etc who show no fear and play attacking football. We are stuck with players who just cant move the ball quick enough or are scared to be positive because of previous regimes or what not.

I think this campaign is done and dusted so lets put these lads in and actually go play games without fear and trepidation.

We rely too much on the established players and maybe flipping that habit might just be the tonic needed to put Ireland in a better position than what we find ourselves in at this moment in time.

I think O Neill has done a good job but it may just be the end for him now considering we blew a golden chance to qualify automatically and if it is the case that he leaves we need a forward thinking manager who wont be afraid to throw the younger lads in. I guess tho a big problem is finding that manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

alta stare wrote:
    To be fair tho Long has done nothing worth talking about for Ireland. Unfortunately he isnt good enough and maybe someone else ie Maguire is the option.

I stopped reading after ur first line, I'm guessing you missed his winner against Germany?

Good for you.

Yes i seen his winner and it would appear in your eyes that makes up for all his other average appearences? If that is the standard you think Ireland go by then i guess we truly are fu(ked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

alta stare wrote:
    Good for you.

alta stare wrote:
    Yes i seen his winner and it would appear in your eyes that makes up for all his other average appearences? If that is the standard you think Ireland go by then i guess we truly are fu(ked.

You said he's done nothing of note for Ireland, I think that winner is something. Never said he was excellent but our system over the last few years hasnt helped him, felt sorry for him against Georgia last week when all he was expected to do was chase punts forward from defence.
    Maguire is a good finisher alright but this Ireland team doesnt create enough chances and any of our current strikers would struggle to score with our current tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Dont forget Long's late equalizer against Poland at home last campaign.

You said he's done nothing of note for Ireland, I think that winner is something. Never said he was excellent but our system over the last few years hasnt helped him, felt sorry for him against Georgia last week when all he was expected to do was chase punts forward from defence.
    Maguire is a good finisher alright but this Ireland team doesnt create enough chances and any of our current strikers would struggle to score with our current tactics

Long is poor he is not a good striker. The goal against Germany could of been scored by any decent player with any ounce of speed which is what Long had in his favour. There was nothing technical or skillfull about it. He ran onto a long ball and hit it towards the goal and luckily for him he got a clean strike and in it went. I like the rest of the country was delighted it was great but it still did not or never will prove he is a quality striker.

As for the post mentioning the Poland goal........it was a bloody tap in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Maguire has a lot more to his game than just a finisher. Long will forever get some bit ahead with his pace but quite a lot of his game hasn't advanced at all in years. He's not the smartest of strikers game wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

alta stare wrote: »
    Long is poor he is not a good striker. The goal against Germany could of been scored by any decent player with any ounce of speed which is what Long had in his favour. There was nothing technical or skillfull about it. He ran onto a long ball and hit it towards the goal and luckily for him he got a clean strike and in it went. I like the rest of the country was delighted it was great but it still did not or never will prove he is a quality striker.

Congrats on the goal today Sean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

No it wasn't

NDWC wrote: »
    Congrats on the goal today Sean!

Thank you it was a good un wasnt it.

Dots1982 wrote: »

No it wasn't

Yes it was. A corner swung in, it came to Shane he pretty much tapped it in.

If you dont think that was a tap in id like to hear your definition of a tap in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Eunan o Kane with 2 assists too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Any chance MON will put Maguire on (even at least as a sub) vs Moldova? I see no reason not to.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Any chance MON will put Maguire on (even at least as a sub) vs Moldova? I see no reason not to.

It would be good to see but i bet he wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Maguire hasn't earned that much yet. Surely Murphy will be ahead of Long next game? Then hopefully Cillian Sheridan gets his long overdue run out. Maguire still has work to do.

Long has been one of our most successful strikers based in England the last 20 years! The nonsense thrown at him by some fans is silly. He was actually one of our best players last Tuesday. Can't believe people don't acknowledge that

Saying that, he needs week in week out first team football at this stage in his career. Or at least more minutes than he has got. He is just not going to be a first 11 player with that formation Southampton play, but he at least is getting on every match and hopefully he can take advantage of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Long has been one of our most successful strikers based in England the last 20 years! The nonsense thrown at him by some fans is silly. He was actually one of our best players last Tuesday. Can't believe people don't acknowledge that

+1

He was also completely isolated against Georgia. Punt long balls up to him then expect him to control it, and beat 5 Georgians all on his todd.

Hopefully maguire gets a run out in the last 2 games as I would say he will get more minutes than any other striker in the next qualifying campaign but not sure I understand people been angry that he wasn't in the squad for the Serbia and Georgia double header. He's fairly inexperienced at elite level.

Would encourage any Westwood fanboys to look at the goal he conceded for Wednesday yesterday and ask themselves how they would view it if he conceded that goal in a big game for Ireland. I don't see any conclusive proof that Randolph is an inferior GK to Westwood. Seems excessive moaning again.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Maguire hasn't earned that much yet. Surely Murphy will be ahead of Long next game? Then hopefully Cillian Sheridan gets his long overdue run out. Maguire still has work to do.

Would say sheridan will need a few injuries to other options to be considered. He hasn't scored in Poland for a while and the polish league standard is below English championship level.

Saying that, he needs week in week out first team football at this stage in his career. Or at least more minutes than he has got. He is just not going to be a first 11 player with that formation Southampton play, but he at least is getting on every match and hopefully he can take advantage of it

For a striker he doesnt score enough goals and for club or country. He tries his best i accept that but he should not be starting games up front just because he tries his best.

What we need to find is a striker who can score goals on a consistent basis and the team can then be built around that. Maguire and the likes deserve to have that chance and them not being given a chance is poor management by O Neill.

For a long time we were blessed with Robbie Keane and idiots on this site did nothing but whinge about him which was so stupid considering how good Keane was and i bet some of those idiots are now accepting Longs mediocre performances as acceptable because its all he can do considering we play hoof ball????? I seem to recall Ireland playing decent football against Serbia and still Long couldn't score.

I dont have a dislike for Long i just believe there are better options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Its crazy how much we miss (a young) Robbie Keane now.

I doubt most here had heard of Maguire until 6/7 months ago, (I had, not that I am claiming some higher ground, merely because I take more an interest than most Irish supporters in LOI, which sounds arrogant but is true)

Yet, suddenly he is a superior player to Shane Long.

Do people not think Long would rip it up in LOI?? Murphy? Even Kevin Doyle would score 10 to 15 goals in LOI. Put that into context?

We have never, apart from Keane had this brilliant goal scoring striker in the history of Irish football. And I do think Maguire has potential to not look out of place and will deservedly get his chance, placing the sort of expectations on him is naive.

I just think the "grass is always greener" attitude is poor.

I am not saying Long is this "should be unquestionably guaranteed starter"...........in fact there is sometimes I wish Walters was given more opportunity in a forward role with Long brought on later, but I am just putting things into context.

• Advertisement

I also think people are starting to get a tad ahead of themselves with LOI standards also. Clearly it is very much improving for certain teams (ie Dundalk for a few years and Cork City this season) but it is a far cry from the Championship level, all in all.
    People are acknowledging the likes of Dundalk and Cork who were far ahead of their opponents in their respective succesfull seasons yet ignoring the teams they are up against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

For a striker he doesnt score enough goals and for club or country. He tries his best i accept that but he should not be starting games up front just because he tries his best.

What we need to find is a striker who can score goals on a consistent basis and the team can then be built around that. Maguire and the likes deserve to have that chance and them not being given a chance is poor management by O Neill.
    when a striker comes a long like that I have no doubt management will give him a chance.who is there doing that at the moment?
    You are making a case for Maguire who has a handful of games in the championship and looked good in LoI but the standard is poor bar 1 or 2 teams.
    Btw I expect Maguire to be given his chance very soon but this campaign came a bit too quick for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

About a snowball's chance in hell imo, hopefully after the next double header in October he's brought in as both Walters and Murphy are pushing on now and will be 34 and 35 if Ireland make it to the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

About a snowball's chance in hell imo, hopefully after the next double header in October he's brought in as both Walters and Murphy are pushing on now and will be 34 and 35 if Ireland make it to the WC.

I think Maguire should get a run out as a sub vs Moldova. I reckon both Murphy and Walters may not even feature in the Euro 2020 qualifiers due to age - we must give new guys a chance now.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

yabadabado wrote: »
    when a striker comes a long like that I have no doubt management will give him a chance.who is there doing that at the moment?
    You are making a case for Maguire who has a handful of games in the championship and looked good in LoI but the standard is poor bar 1 or 2 teams.
    Btw I expect Maguire to be given his chance very soon but this campaign came a bit too quick for him.

Scott Hogan could be that player for us soon. You have to ignore his time at Aston Villa as they have a guy that makes MON look like Pep
    Look how he was under Dean Smith at Brentford
    I'd like to see Maguire and Hogan start for us against Moldova

I love Walters but his mobility was a bit lacking the last day .

I doubt most here had heard of Maguire until 6/7 months ago, (I had, not that I am claiming some higher ground, merely because I take more an interest than most Irish supporters in LOI, which sounds arrogant but is true)

Yet, suddenly he is a superior player to Shane Long.

Do people not think Long would rip it up in LOI?? Murphy? Even Kevin Doyle would score 10 to 15 goals in LOI. Put that into context?

We have never, apart from Keane had this brilliant goal scoring striker in the history of Irish football. And I do think Maguire has potential to not look out of place and will deservedly get his chance, placing the sort of expectations on him is naive.

I just think the "grass is always greener" attitude is poor.

I am not saying Long is this "should be unquestionably guaranteed starter"...........in fact there is sometimes I wish Walters was given more opportunity in a forward role with Long brought on later, but I am just putting things into context.

I agree with some aspects of your post but my point is that we are sticking to a player who just isnt doing it consistently at any level and a player like Maguire deserves his chance in a couple of games so why not give him a go. Unfortunately O Neill wont play him which is crazy.

I also dont agree with this notion that at this point in time Long is the superiour player. If Maguire has a good season a premiership club could very well take him on whilst Long looks like he is going down the way.

I think Maguire should get a run out as a sub vs Moldova. I reckon both Murphy and Walters may not even feature in the Euro 2020 qualifiers due to age - we must give new guys a chance now.

Come the next qualifiers I think both lads should be in case of emergency seeing as they'll be 36 and 37 if Ireland make it to Euro 2020 and give younger strikers such as Maguire, Hogan and Sheridan a run out.

Especially Hogan and Maguire who'll probably be around for the next few qualifying campgains. Could maybe even see Maguire play wide right as we haven't got many lads who play out there. McGeady, Brady, McLean and Horgan are more suited to the left especially McGeady and Horgan who like to cut inside onto their right foot. O'Dowda done okay there against Iceland I think when he could cut inside onto his left but I think Hayes is our only natural right winger who'll try and take people on and get the ball in the box.

Wouldn't mind seeing a starting 11 like this for a friendly game in March:

Keeper
    RB - Duffy - Clarke - LB
    Rice - Myler
    Maguire - Hourihane - McGeady
    Hogan

Keeper will possibly be Randolph, he's been doing well since his championship move. If he's starting then maybe bring in Cunningham (if back from injury) and a new RB to play alongside Duffy, Clarke and with Randolph in goals or have the Coleman - Duffy - Clarke - Brady as your back four with maybe the 21s keeper which is Kieran O’Hara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Long and Walters benched again this weekend, and with our upcoming game vs Wales it's bad that Vokes is one of the men keeping Walters out.

When Maguire is the most talked about alternative it really is a bleak future we're looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Matt Doherty deserves a chance at RB imo would like to see him in squad for next friendlies.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Matt Doherty deserves a chance at RB imo would like to see him in squad for next friendlies.

Surprised he still hasn't been capped yet. Still young at 25 and has been getting consistint game time at Wolves over the last three season. Can fill in at both right and left back so would be a handy bench player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wow

I agree with some aspects of your post but my point is that we are sticking to a player who just isnt doing it consistently at any level and a player like Maguire deserves his chance in a couple of games so why not give him a go. Unfortunately O Neill wont play him which is crazy.

I also dont agree with this notion that at this point in time Long is the superiour player. If Maguire has a good season a premiership club could very well take him on whilst Long looks like he is going down the way.

"Crazy not to play him"??? Now we are hitting true hyperbole level

He wasn't in the squad. It is hardly bloody crazy that he has just unpacked his suitcases in England after spending a season scoring against the likes of Galway United, Finn Harps and Drogheda that MON would draft him in over the likes of established top tier players like Walters and Long and even Murphy, let alone play him, on the basis of what is a different level completely.

He needs to prove himself at a higher level somewhat before statements like "crazy not to play him" over our other strikers are thrown out.

"Crazy not to play him"??? Now we are hitting true hyperbole level

He wasn't in the squad. It is hardly bloody crazy that he has just unpacked his suitcases in England after spending a season scoring against the likes of Galway United, Finn Harps and Drogheda that MON would draft him in over the likes of established top tier players like Walters and Long and even Murphy, let alone play him, on the basis of what is a different level completely.

He needs to prove himself at a higher level somewhat before statements like "crazy not to play him" over our other strikers are thrown out.

Agreed, and just for perspective, Murphy has three goals for Forrest this season, saved a point for Ireland in Serbia, was outstanding vs Germany and I feel led to the equaliser against Austria.

Yet he gets harangued whilst some go bat**** crazy when Maguire scores his first Championship goal.

We all hope he gets to be a regular scorer in the division but let's keep perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Not convinced there's a better ball playing midfielder in this country then Eunan O'Kane. Put in an absolute masterclass yesterday for Leeds.

If we want to play "football" with the ball on the deck and less of this hoofing then O'Kane needs serious consideration for a starting berth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Morrison J wrote: »
    Not convinced there's a better ball playing midfielder in this country then Eunan O'Kane. Put in an absolute masterclass yesterday for Leeds.

If we want to play "football" with the ball on the deck and less of this hoofing then O'Kane needs serious consideration for a starting berth.

He should definitely get a run out, he's playing well this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The euro 2020 qualifers won't start til March 2019 but we will play in the new UFEA nations (Div 2 or 3) league from sep-nov 2018

If we don't qualify for the euro finals in 2020 than were in big trouble though a few decent missed sides missed 2016

Possibly friendlies next March and May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

noodler wrote: »
    Agreed, and just for perspective, Murphy has three goals for Forrest this season, saved a point for Ireland in Serbia, was outstanding vs Germany and I feel led to the equaliser against Austria.

Yet he gets harangued whilst some go bat**** crazy when Maguire scores his first Championship goal.

We all hope he gets to be a regular scorer in the division but let's keep perspective.

Agreed but lets also keep perspective on how much is being said overall about Maguire as well. Most just would like to see him get a chance, anyone going 'bat**** crazy' isn't a prevailing opinion at all imo. Who knows how anyone would do in any league, it's always partly guesswork. I've been lucky enough to have watched Seanie a lot and he reads the game better than any City player that's gone across to England, of which there's been quite a few. Who knows how he will do, could go either way of course but every current Irish squad striker has been a 'Maguire' in that people have at one time wanted them to have a chance and they all have had eventually.

Corholio wrote: »
    Agreed but lets also keep perspective on how much is being said overall about Maguire as well. Most just would like to see him get a chance, anyone going 'bat**** crazy' isn't a prevailing opinion at all imo. Who knows how anyone would do in any league, it's always partly guesswork. I've been lucky enough to have watched Seanie a lot and he reads the game better than any City player that's gone across to England, of which there's been quite a few. Who knows how he will do, could go either way of course but every current Irish squad striker has been a 'Maguire' in that people have at one time wanted them to have a chance and they all have had eventually.

I'm sure he'll do well.

Early performance reviews are positive.

Its sad that with the guts of half an hour to go against Serbia with an extra man that he wasn't at least there as an option but I suppose its fair enough given Murphy, Hourihoune etc have more championship goals behind them.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll do well.

Early performance reviews are positive.

Its sad that with the guts of half an hour to go against Serbia with an extra man that he wasn't at least there as an option but I suppose its fair enough given Murphy, Hourihoune etc have more championship goals behind them.

Genuine question, would you have put him in before Murphy Tuesday?? If not, why is it so sad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement