Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Genuine question, would you have put him in before Murphy Tuesday?? If not, why is it so sad?

I'd have liked a variation in play in the last 30, something more than long ball against ten men. Murphy is a useful man to bring on when chasing a goal, hell even hot a defender sent off, but I would have supported changes in personnel that would have encouraged less reliance on the long ball particularly with a numerical advantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

yabadabado wrote: »
    Matt Doherty deserves a chance at RB imo would like to see him in squad for next friendlies.
    Can anybody see the weakness's in his game that Martin O Neill sees as there seems to be something about him that O'Neill doesn't rate .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

noodler wrote: »
    I'd have liked a variation in play in the last 30, something more than long ball against ten men. Murphy is a useful man to bring on when chasing a goal, hell even hot a defender sent off, but I would have supported changes in personnel that would have encouraged less reliance on the long ball particularly with a numerical advantage.

Murphy caused plenty of problems from direct play around the box, not just long ball punts. the one real over the top long ball he got onto he almost scored but for a last man red card tackle. If anything, he deserves to start himself against Moldova to be honest

You can't have everything, yes it is nice to have choices but it is a 4 striker squad we generally take along and it is very hard for anyone to really justify omitting any of the choices below * .........(MF and attack ) MON brought with hi last week ahead of a guy who has just hopped off the plane and played a couple of games for Preston ?

* Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), David Meyler (Hull City), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Jonathan Hayes (Celtic), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City)
    Forwards: Jonathan Walters (Burnley), Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town)

Murphy caused plenty of problems from direct play around the box, not just long ball punts. the one real over the top long ball he got onto he almost scored but for a last man red card tackle. If anything, he deserves to start himself against Moldova to be honest

You can't have everything, yes it is nice to have choices but it is a 4 striker squad we generally take along and it is very hard for anyone to really justify omitting any of the choices below * .........(MF and attack ) MON brought with hi last week ahead of a guy who has just hopped off the plane and played a couple of games for Preston ?

* Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), David Meyler (Hull City), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Jonathan Hayes (Celtic), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City)
    Forwards: Jonathan Walters (Burnley), Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town)

If you can't admit that we essentially let Serbia off the hook for the last thirty minutes of the game then I don't think it's worth discussing.

They couldn't believe how easy they got off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Morrison J wrote: »
    Not convinced there's a better ball playing midfielder in this country then Eunan O'Kane. Put in an absolute masterclass yesterday for Leeds.

If we want to play "football" with the ball on the deck and less of this hoofing then O'Kane needs serious consideration for a starting berth.

You could be right (tallest midget maybe) but he gets injured and has had to pull out of a lot of squads hasn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Dots1982 wrote: »
    You could be right (tallest midget maybe) but he gets injured and has had to pull out of a lot of squads hasn't he?

Yeah has been nursing a pretty consistent groin injury for about a year now.

If he's fit for the Moldova game I'd 100% throw him in there though personally. We're playing too many out of form players. O'Kane in the form of his life at the moment and is probably the best passer in the squad. Literally exactly what we are missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Agreed, and just for perspective, Murphy has three goals for Forrest this season, saved a point for Ireland in Serbia, was outstanding vs Germany and I feel led to the equaliser against Austria.

Yet he gets harangued whilst some go bat**** crazy when Maguire scores his first Championship goal.

We all hope he gets to be a regular scorer in the division but let's keep perspective.

Im not so sure where i seen anyone go bat**** crazy???? Only voicing an opinion which merely says Maguire should be given a chance over someone like Long whom has had plenty of chance to impress for Ireland for which he has not done (scoring wise that is).

This notion that someone like Maguire isnt ready for top level football is rubbish, how can that be said when he hasnt even been given a chance yet?

No where have i said he would bang in goals left right and centre but he damn sure deserves his chance regardless of where he played last year or where he plays now. I bet this time next year (or sooner) Long will be at a lower level club.

If you can't admit that we essentially let Serbia off the hook for the last thirty minutes of the game then I don't think it's worth discussing.

They couldn't believe how easy they got off.

Is that what we are discussing though? I mean originally the point was re Maguire v Murphy alternative? The options we could have had in the 11 we could only field.
    Do you think MON would have changed his tactics if Maguire was there?

Re the blacked out piece, do you really believe that defence would be in disbelief that they couldn't handle the last half hour? It is a very very experienced Serbian defence? I am sure every one of them have been in similar situations against far better opponents

Their back "5" (3 CBs and WBs) comprise of experienced players from Napoli, Schalke, Frankfurt, multiple premier league winners in Matic, Ivanovic, Kolarov.

I actually thought, if anything, Irish fans didn't appreciate the experience that defence had. And we still done well offensively. Throwing in Murphy against them seems a step up in a level for him, imagine how well they could handle Maguire.

Is that what we are discussing though? I mean originally the point was re Maguire v Murphy alternative? The options we could have had in the 11 we could only field.

Re the blacked out piece, do you really believe that defence would be in disbelief that they couldn't handle the last half hour? It is a very very experienced Serbian defence? I am sure every one of them have been in similar situations against far better opponents

Their back "5" (3 CBs and WBs) comprise of experienced players from Napoli, Schalke, Frankfurt, multiple premier league winners in Matic, Ivanovic, Kolarov.

I actually thought, if anything, Irish fans didn't appreciate the experience that defence had. And we still done well offensively. Throwing in Murphy against them seems a step up in a level for him, imagine how well they could handle Maguire.

They may well of handled Maguire with ease but my arguement is Maguire isnt even been given a chance even in friendly games. New blood may just reignite a flame for future campaigns but how will we know if we dont give these lads a chance?

alta stare wrote: »
    They may well of handled Maguire with ease but my arguement is Maguire isnt even been given a chance even in friendly games. New blood may just reignite a flame for future campaigns but how will we know if we dont give these lads a chance?

When did he "not get a chance" though!! We have played just over a handful of games since he even appeared to be any sort of prospect to get a move to England!! You would swear Ireland play week in, week out and half our squad is injured!

He was drafted into the provisional squad the moment he started playing in the Championship................surely you can acknowledge that is a massive step now towards him "getting his chance"?

• Advertisement

Not convinced there's a better ball playing midfielder in this country then Eunan O'Kane. Put in an absolute masterclass yesterday for Leeds.

If we want to play "football" with the ball on the deck and less of this hoofing then O'Kane needs serious consideration for a starting berth.

He's playing very well at the moment and given the advancing years of Whelan and Holahan must be amongst the most likely to feature a lot more at international level.

When did he "not get a chance" though!! We have played just over a handful of games since he even appeared to be any sort of prospect to get a move to England!! You would swear Ireland play week in, week out and half our squad is injured!

He was drafted into the provisional squad the moment he started playing in the Championship................surely you can acknowledge that is a massive step now towards him "getting his chance"?

Of course it is a big step up. Im not saying lets start him in every qualifer but at least have him in the squad, give him game time in these games and see how he plays. The upcoming game against moldova will see Long up front and i hazard a guess he will not score again. Lets put these guys in and see how it goes.

Anyone can see the qualifers are as good as over so lets blood these players now.

Btw im not being negative but our chances of getting to Russia are very small and out of our hands now. Its time to look to the Euros.

Anyway, apologies for my part if anyone is getting sick of the to and fro discussion! A few hungover posts, but all in good nature! And, yes, I do, hope and think he will be a squad regular by next year. This isn't me in anyway dismissing him, just putting things into a bit of perspective (in my opinion)
    His drafting into last months initial squad is big progress and he is still only young also.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    O'Kane in the form of his life at the moment and is probably the best passer in the squad. Literally exactly what we are missing.

I like what I've seen from oO'Kane but personally I wouldn't take a passing midfielder over a Tim Cahill style goal scorer who can attack the many crosses we put in or a fit Seamus Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He's playing very well at the moment and given the advancing years of Whelan and Holahan must be amongst the most likely to feature a lot more at international level.

I'd like to see Kelly get a call up .He has done well since Stam arrived at Reading.O Kane and himself are both tidy players.
    Be interesting to see how Rice gets on over the next few months .Bilic seems to rate him if he keeps his job Rice could see plenty of minutes.We don't often have a teenager getting regular time with EPL sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd like to see Kelly get a call up .He has done well since Stam arrived at Reading.O Kane and himself are both tidy players.
    Be interesting to see how Rice gets on over the next few months .Bilic seems to rate him if he keeps his job Rice could see plenty of minutes.We don't often have a teenager getting regular time with EPL sides.

If Rice gets consistant game time with West Ham this season I'd have him straight into the senior squad. No point having a young lad like that stuck with the 21s if he's getting game time in top flight football.

Probably do his chances of really cementing a place in the West Ham first team being a senior international rather than being stuck with the 21s. As a small country with a small playing pool we should fast track lads who show potential especially in the top flight.

It's alright for bigger countries who'll have a group of talented players that they could keep them together at 21s for a few years to bond before moving them onto the senior team but our under age teams arent great and normally have lads who are probably only playing u23s with their club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

We're at an interesting time with the national team, plenty of fringe players performing well at club level (Rice, Kelly, Maguire, Hourihane, O'Kane, Browne, Doherty) and a lot of the more experienced players seem to be struggling now with their clubs (Long, Walters, Hoolahan, McCarthy, Whelan had to drop a level). O'Neill isn't going to make wholesale changes nor am I suggesting he should, but would hope we will give some of the fringe players a look in especially if we don't qualify for the WC.

Don't think Maguire has done enough yet to be a starter for Ireland, definitely should be in the next squad but still untested at this level. I think it would be lunacy to start him ahead of Shane Long but would be hoping to see Maguire or Hogan off the bench vs Moldova, we badly need a goalscorer.

Centre midfield is a tough one, so many options there at the moment. Hendrick, McCarthy, Whelan and Arter would be the obvious first four in contention, but the likes of O'Kane, Hourihane, Rice, Kelly are all making an impression at club level. Not to mention Meyler who was a deserved MOTM last week. MON has plenty of options anyway, if we fail to qualify for the World Cup I think a lot of places in this squad are up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It really is amazing how many people are going with the line "we didn't lose it last night, we lost it in other games". I've been saying all along that playing open football is the worst thing we could possibly do, we did so last night and guess what.... we lost. We hadn't lost before in this campaign, we lost last night ....with a man extra for twenty odd minutes. People seem more satisfied when we adapt a more naive attacking approach and leave with that old "moral victors" tag.

Ourselves and Northern Ireland were succeeding of late by following a model of minimal possession football and keeping rock solid defensive shape throughout games. They stayed true to their philosophy, we moved away from it last night and paid the ultimate penalty.
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Austria had 60% of possession is that game, they had 7 shots on target in comparison to our 1. They completed 360 passes compared to our 132. You're either bad at analysing games or letting the positive result block your memory. But they're very much O'Neill stats. Sweden similarly dominated us on stats. We did have the upper hand vs Italy but they had already qualified, rested lots of players and weren't all that bothered that game, so definitely an asterisk beside that one.

Last night we had more possession, double the goal attempts, and abandoned our defensive shape that got us all our good results under MON over last few campaign. We'd have likely lost to Wales and Austria too with their superior technical ability had we played that way, I'm sure most are too blind to see that but I'm afraid that's reality.

You are talking as if the draw away to Georgia was a good result - it was not. We had two bad results in this last International break, one where we followed the hoof-ball plan and one where we followed the passing one.

You're claiming that our recent success has all been with minimal possession and that bad results follow when we pass it more. I don't agree that possession stats are a very good indicator of what a team is trying to do with the ball, but since you brought them up let's stick with them for the sake of argument. Let's use these possession stats to see if your claims stand up to scrutiny. Looking at all of Ireland's competive games under O'Neill (stats from uefa.com):

**Euro 2016 Qualifiers**

Georgia 1-2 Ireland (good result)
    46% possession 54%
    235 completed passes 319

Ireland 7-0 Gibraltar (good result)
    65% possession 35%
    534 completed passes 202

Germany 1-1 Ireland (good result)
    63% possession 37%
    531 completed passes 204

Scot 1-0 Ireland (bad result)
    56% possession 44%
    280 completed passes 164

Ireland 1-1 Poland (good result)
    55% possession 45%
    269 completed passes 179

Ireland 1-1 Scot (good result)
    50% possession 50%
    284 completed passes 290

Gibraltar 0-4 Ireland (good result)
    40% possession 60%
    210 completed passes 412

Ireland 1-0 Georgia (good result)
    50% possession 50%
    381 completed passes 386

Ireland 1-0 Germany (good result)
    33% possession 67%
    179 completed passes 613

Poland 2-1 Ireland (bad result)
    55% possession 45%
    255 completed passes 173
    ---

**Euro 2016 playoffs qualifiers**

Bosnia & H 1-1 Ireland (good result)
    59% possession 41%
    309 completed passes 166

Ireland 1-0 Bosnia & H (good result)
    36% possession 64%
    144 completed passes 412
    ---

**Euro 2016**

Ireland 1-1 Sweden (good result)
    47% possession 53%
    195 completed passes 301

Belgium 3-0 Ireland (bad result)
    54% possession 46%
    407 completed passes 278

Italy 0-1 Ireland *
    54% possession 46%
    313 completed passes 225

France 2-1 Ireland (bad result)
    60% possession 40%
    447 completed passes 171
    ---

**WC 2018 Qualifiers**

Serbia 2-2 Ireland (good result)
    59% possession 41%
    371 completed passes 94

44% possession 56%
    276 completed passes 423

Maldova 1-3 Ireland (good result)
    46% possession 54%
    276 completed passes 290

Austria 0-1 Ireland (good result)
    59% possession 41%
    360 completed passes 132

Ireland 0-0 Wales (good result)
    46% possession 54%
    242 completed passes 379

Ireland 1-1 Austria (good result)
    53% possession 47%
    266 completed passes 231

Georgia 1-1 Ireland (bad result)
    69% possession 31%
    568 completed passes 152

Ireland 0-1 Serbia (bad result)
    52% possession 48%
    225 completed passes 245
    ---

So, all together we have had 17 good results in competitive games under MON. Contrary to your claim that they have all come with minimal possession, 8 of those good results came in games where we had at least 50% possession. We have had 6 bad results. In only one of those games did we have 50% possession or more.

You are suffering from a very selective memory.

Away from home against a group rival, the result that all but guarantees their qualification and a man down for the guts of half an hour.

Yes, I believe that defence will scarcely be able to believe how little pressure we put them under.

I understand what you are saying about their defenders but it's really defeatist stuff. They're a fairly weak group winner in the context of other groups, they've conceded against nearly every other team in the group, you almost imply acceptance of the way the game played out because of the superior club status of many of their players.

The manager should have been able to resort to possession and stretching the Serbs with the extra man advantage. You can argue until the cows come home about the correct personnel to do this but the bottom line was that he couldn't set us up to do it.

Pro. F wrote: »
    You are talking as if the draw away to Georgia was a good result - it was not. We had two bad results in this last International break, one where we followed the hoof-ball plan and one where we followed the passing one.

You're claiming that our recent success has all been with minimal possession and that bad results follow when we pass it more. I don't agree that possession stats are a very good indicator of what a team is trying to do with the ball, but since you brought them up let's stick with them for the sake of argument. Let's use these possession stats to see if your claims stand up to scrutiny. Looking at all of Ireland's competive games under O'Neill (stats from uefa.com):

**Euro 2016 Qualifiers**

Georgia 1-2 Ireland (good result)
    46% possession 54%
    235 completed passes 319

Ireland 7-0 Gibraltar (good result)
    65% possession 35%
    534 completed passes 202

Germany 1-1 Ireland (good result)
    63% possession 37%
    531 completed passes 204

Scot 1-0 Ireland (bad result)
    56% possession 44%
    280 completed passes 164

Ireland 1-1 Poland (good result)
    55% possession 45%
    269 completed passes 179

Ireland 1-1 Scot (good result)
    50% possession 50%
    284 completed passes 290

Gibraltar 0-4 Ireland (good result)
    40% possession 60%
    210 completed passes 412

50% possession 50%
    381 completed passes 386

Ireland 1-0 Germany (good result)
    33% possession 67%
    179 completed passes 613

Poland 2-1 Ireland (bad result)
    55% possession 45%
    255 completed passes 173
    ---

**Euro 2016 playoffs qualifiers**

Bosnia & H 1-1 Ireland (good result)
    59% possession 41%
    309 completed passes 166

Ireland 1-0 Bosnia & H (good result)
    36% possession 64%
    144 completed passes 412
    ---

**Euro 2016**

Ireland 1-1 Sweden (good result)
    47% possession 53%
    195 completed passes 301

Belgium 3-0 Ireland (bad result)
    54% possession 46%
    407 completed passes 278

Italy 0-1 Ireland *
    54% possession 46%
    313 completed passes 225

France 2-1 Ireland (bad result)
    60% possession 40%
    447 completed passes 171
    ---

**WC 2018 Qualifiers**

Serbia 2-2 Ireland (good result)
    59% possession 41%
    371 completed passes 94

44% possession 56%
    276 completed passes 423

Maldova 1-3 Ireland (good result)
    46% possession 54%
    276 completed passes 290

Austria 0-1 Ireland (good result)
    59% possession 41%
    360 completed passes 132

Ireland 0-0 Wales (good result)
    46% possession 54%
    242 completed passes 379

Ireland 1-1 Austria (good result)
    53% possession 47%
    266 completed passes 231

Georgia 1-1 Ireland (bad result)
    69% possession 31%
    568 completed passes 152

Ireland 0-1 Serbia (bad result)
    52% possession 48%
    225 completed passes 245
    ---

So, all together we have had 17 good results in competitive games under MON. Contrary to your claim that they have all come with minimal possession, 8 of those good results came in games where we had at least 50% possession. We have had 6 bad results. In only one of those games did we have 50% possession or more.

You are suffering from a very selective memory.

In fairness, remove the Faroese and Moldova from that and it certainly looks worse. I guess it shows we have less possession that group rivals the majority of times.

The Poland and Scottish Home draws weren't viewed as good results at the time. Granted you get points for them.

• Advertisement

In fairness, remove the Faroese and Moldova from that and it certainly looks worse. I guess it shows we have less possession that group rivals the majority of times.

The Faroes aren't in there, I'm guessing you mean Gibraltar. Remove them and Maldova and Rekop Dog is still wrong in his claim that all of our good results have come from minimal possession football.

It shows a lot of things. You should expect that we would have less possession than group rivals the majority of the time, we are managed by Martin O'Neill.
    The Poland and Scottish Home draws weren't viewed as good results at the time. Granted you get points for them.

It doesn't matter what you think the Poland and Scottish draws were viewed as. We lost against Poland and Scotland when they had the majority of possession, we drew against both of them when we had equal or better possession.

The Faroes aren't in there, I'm guessing you mean Gibraltar. Remove them and Maldova and Rekop Dog is still wrong in his claim that all of our good results have come from minimal possession football.

It shows a lot of things. You should expect that we would have less possession than group rivals the majority of the time, we are managed by Martin O'Neill.

It doesn't matter what you think the Poland and Scottish draws were viewed as. We lost against Poland and Scotland when they had the majority of possession, we drew against both of them when we had equal or better possession.

I'll count this again in a spreadsheet but it seems that,excluding the minnows, 11 of our good results come from having less (or even) possession.

I'll count this again in a spreadsheet but it seems that,excluding the minnows, 11 of our good results come from having less (or even) possession.

Why would you assign games where we had the minorty of possession as the same as games where we had parity in possession? Games where we had 50% possession and got good results disprove Rekop Dog's claims.

Why would you assign games where we had the minorty of possession as the same as games where we had parity in possession? Games where we had 50% possession and got good results disprove Rekop Dog's claims.

Fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Maguire has scored again tonight to put Preston 2 up against Cardiff who were top before this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes, that's where I'm following it also.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

3-0 now.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Ha, you are right! I flicked on Livescore, it took me to the Preston Saturday game instead of tonight!

• Advertisement

Alan Browne from 45 yards out too, it seems the keeper miss hit a clearance or something. He scored from a long way out anyway to put them 3 up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Murphy has put Forest 1 up against Sunderland who have Marc Wilson playing CB. Good to see him back playing regularly

Murphy has put Forest 1 up against Sunderland who have Marc Wilson playing CB. Good to see him back playing regularly

Murphys fourth of the season.

Jack Byrne our big hope from a couple of years ago scored for Oldham tonight too. At least he seems to be getting regular games there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Stevecw wrote:
    Jack Byrne our big hope from a couple of years ago scored for Oldham tonight too. At least he seems to be getting regular games there anyway.

Yeah himself and Eoin Doyle seem to have improved the team hugely since they moved their from what I read

• Advertisement

Yeah himself and Eoin Doyle seem to have improved the team hugely since they moved their from what I read
    That is about Eoin Doyles level, but I still hold out some hope that Jack Byrne can get his confidence back there and become what we all hoped he was 2 years ago.
    I remember watching weekly clips of him playing amazing in the dutch top division while on loan from Man City thinking he was our new star player in the making.
    All went a bit wrong since, but hopefully he can rebuild it.

Hopefully both Maguire and Browne are in the squad after these qualifiers, they've been playing well lately and at 23 and 22 could be in the squad long term depending on form.

Another clean sheet for Randolph, good to see O'Dowda get another 90mins especially from the right (going by livescore) and O'Kanes Leeds United up to first after a 2-0 win tonight.

In fairness, Murphy has been playing regular football for years and years. You are talking average almost 40 games per season up until he got injured and missed half the season after joining Newcastle. (and even then when he returned he played almost all their games when he was fit)

Not many Irish players can compete with him in that regard

In fairness, Murphy has been playing regular football for years and years. You are talking average almost 40 games per season up until he got injured and missed half the season after joining Newcastle. (and even then when he returned he played almost all their games when he was fit)

Not many Irish players can compete with him in that regard

Think he means Wilson maybe.

The Talking Bread you are having a mare this evening! That post was obviously about Wilson, not Murphy! Same as mine earlier was about Seanie Maguire scoring in tonights game not last Saturdays!!
    Have a lie down or a few whiskeys or something! :)

• Advertisement

Becoming pretty apparent to me at least that Sean Maguire is the future of Ireland's centre forward options.

:D:D:D:D:D

Stevecw wrote: »
    The Talking Bread you are having a mare this evening! That post was obviously about Wilson, not Murphy! Same as mine earlier was about Seanie Maguire scoring in tonights game not last Saturdays!!
    Have a lie down or a few whiskeys or something! :)

Im knee deep in heavy study/procrastination in my defence! I am secretly hoping I will be banned by Boards to give me one less distraction!

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11032862/preston-3-0-cardiff
    Maguires & Brownes goals this evening...30 second advert to get thru 1st!

Still only 21 but seems he's been around for forever so hopefully the first team football will do him the world of good and get a move to the Championship.

Was also nice to see Chris Forrester get 90mins with Peterborough tonight, his first start of the season but they've been in great form so far and second in the league. Hoping he can be a bit of a late bloomer like Wes cause watching him when he played in Ireland the lad could do things with the ball only some players could dream of.

Forrester is still fairly young.24/25 He will be back in as a regular very soon easily one of their beat players.
    Was a cracking player in LoI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

That is about Eoin Doyles level, but I still hold out some hope that Jack Byrne can get his confidence back there and become what we all hoped he was 2 years ago.
    I remember watching weekly clips of him playing amazing in the dutch top division while on loan from Man City thinking he was our new star player in the making.
    All went a bit wrong since, but hopefully he can rebuild it.

I've said it before but I feel for him. Decided to transfer to Wigan where the manager convinced him he was in his future plans, team gets relegated, manager sacked, new one doesn't want him. Thankfully he got his move.

He should tear it up in league 1. Definitely see him back in championship very soon, and when he gets there hopefully he takes his chances, definitely one for our future and going by his previous coaches has his head screwed on and works hard.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11032862/preston-3-0-cardiff
    Maguires & Brownes goals this evening...30 second advert to get thru 1st!

Two cracking finishes there, even if the keeper miss cued his clearance for the third Browne still done well to score and Maguire took his goal really well to score from a tight angle.

Wonder has Josh Harrop an Irish granny somewhere cause the kids gonna be a serious talent in a few years time.

Harrop was deadly last year in United reserves and fair play to him for moving to get football.He could easily have spent another year or two at United without pushing himself.

Didn't see the game, admittedly, but Shane Long started today and played 90 minutes and got great credit for his performance. May have secured his place now as S'ton have been very average so far this season with Gabbiadini and when he gets a run of games, he tends to get back scoring.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement