Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thought he was poor tbh.

Ran to close but alot of the time seemed to be half-hearted once he got a yard or two within the player in question.

Living off scraps from an attacking pov though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Conor Shaughnessy starting centre back for Leeds today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Didn't see the game, admittedly, but Shane Long started today and played 90 minutes and got great credit for his performance. May have secured his place now as S'ton have been very average so far this season with Gabbiadini and when he gets a run of games, he tends to get back scoring.

Was his typical performance. Ran around a lot, did little of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Was at the Birmingham Preston game, live near Birmingham. Seanie Maguire was absolutely excellent for Preston. Was shoved out on the wing first half and worked hard off little service. Second half he moved more central and always looked like creating something. Very unselfish assist for the third goal also when through on goal, showed great maturity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Was his typical performance. Ran around a lot, did little of note.

It is called pressure and work rate, which, in a tight Premier League game is very much of note. Takes pressure off your own defence and allows them to reassemble when you have player up there not making it easy on the opponent to pass out of defence.
    Also gives your midfielders time to get forward as you hold up the ball which directly leads to chances. Attracts fouls also.

When you compare it to the likes of Benteke standing there waiting for the ball and whining when he doesn't get it it may be appreciated more.

It is called pressure and work rate, which, in a tight Premier League game is very much of note. Takes pressure off your own defence and allows them to reassemble when you have player up there not making it easy on the opponent to pass out of defence.
    Also gives your midfielders time to get forward as you hold up the ball which directly leads to chances. Attracts fouls also.

When you compare it to the likes of Benteke standing there waiting for the ball and whining when he doesn't get it it may be appreciated more.

I say through the 90 mins. He did nothing. One run to chase down a lost cause at about 80 mins was the sum total of his efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Conor Shaughnessy starting centre back for Leeds today.

And unfortunately for him they lost 1-0. Liam Kelly also got on the score sheet for Reading.

I say through the 90 mins. He did nothing. One run to chase down a lost cause at about 80 mins was the sum total of his efforts.

Good man! Sure I'll take your word then!

Funny that all the match reviews and every single twitter post when you type him in paints a completely different picture.

Good man! Sure I'll take your word then!

Funny that all the match reviews and every single twitter post when you type him in paints a completely different picture.

Christ, at least watch the game before getting defensive.

He was poor.

If he wasn't Irish that would be the fairly universal verdict.

Looked rusty.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Christ, at least watch the game before getting defensive.

He was poor.

If he wasn't Irish that would be the fairly universal verdict.

Looked rusty.

Read my post not defensive just stating facts of the diverse views on here for what he didn't do in comparison to the overwhelming reaction he got after the game for what he did do.
    Merely acknowledging that these were the first negative reviews which are emanating from the usual "he done nothing but run around" posters on here!

I am just saying that there is a hell of a lot of benefits (which I listed) that his style brings to the fore that are ignored.

And for someone to say the only thing he done in 90 minutes was chase down a ball once is pretty strange considering the response to his performance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

How do you put someone on ignore on this place?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

How do you put someone on ignore on this place?

Click on their user name and it will give you the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When is the squad for Moldova/Wales being announced ???

Read somewhere we need to beat Moldova & Wales, Wales not to win in Georgia and Bosnia not to win there last games to deff qualify for the playoffs

I can't see us beating anyone in the playoffs as there are some good teams going to be there but be nice to extend the campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

PTH2009 wrote: »
    When is the squad for Moldova/Wales being announced ???

Read somewhere we need to beat Moldova & Wales, Wales not to win in Georgia and Bosnia not to win there last games to deff qualify for the playoffs

I can't see us beating anyone in the playoffs as there are some good teams going to be there but be nice to extend the campaign

This bit doesn't matter if we win our last two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Moldova game is Friday 2 weeks so I'd expect the squad to be announced next week.

• Advertisement

PhilipsR wrote: »
    This bit doesn't matter if we win our last two games.

Won't matter to finish second.

Nothing we can do about being one of the best seconds though. Out of our hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

McClean not even starting for west brom tonight. One start this season or more? Seems out of favour and will be limited to only about 3 premier league clubs which would want him. Maybe he has no intention of moving but he's fairly well travelled at this stage.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    McClean not even starting for west brom tonight. One start this season or more? Seems out of favour and will be limited to only about 3 premier league clubs which would want him. Maybe he has no intention of moving but he's fairly well travelled at this stage.

Has played more minutes for Ireland this season than West Brom, played 183mins in four league games. Same with Walters, has 27mins in two league games.

noodler wrote: »
    Won't matter to finish second.

Nothing we can do about being one of the best seconds though. Out of our hands.

Belgium are qualified already and might play a second team vs Bosnia but they have a serious squad. Bosnia play Belgium the day after we play Moldava and then play Estonia the day after the Wales game. Greece are still in with a shout in that group they play Cyprus and Gibraltar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Hi
    I am looking to book an hotel for me and the 3 kids as we are heading to the Ireland match on Friday 6th October.
    Can anyone suggest a reasonable hotel close to the stadium or one that public transport makes it easy to get to the Aviva Stadium
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

eamonpk wrote: »
    Hi
    I am looking to book an hotel for me and the 3 kids as we are heading to the Ireland match on Friday 6th October.
    Can anyone suggest a reasonable hotel close to the stadium or one that public transport makes it easy to get to the Aviva Stadium
    Thanks

Prices are steep that night. Why not look on booking.com or one of those sites and see whats available first.

eamonpk wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

Was up for the Wales game. Stayed in the Glashaus in Tallaght. Cheap, clean, and while about as far from the Aviva as you can get, the Luas line runs from outside the hotel all the way to the Point, from where it is a quick jaunt across the bridge to the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

John Sheridan sacked at Oldham ..... just signed Jack Byrne on loan .. terrible timing again for Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

John Sheridan sacked at Oldham ..... just signed Jack Byrne on loan .. terrible timing again for Jack.

He needs to give up on England. Try a spell in LOI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hopefully his recent good performances will be good enough for him to keep getting a run out.

Will depend on new manager though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have'nt been following the other second placed teams.
    Who are we most likely to play should we make second place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Have'nt been following the other second placed teams.
    Who are we most likely to play should we make second place?

At this stage - most likely Oman in a friendly.

We are at big risk of being the worst second place team and therefore no playoff

squad announced 2morrow

Brady and Mcclean are suspended for the Moldova game. Doubts over Harry Arter, Wes Hoolahan, Jon Walters and James Mccarthy

hard to even name the starting 11 for Moldova. Will we see new players starting ??. We need to win this game even though it doesnt matter

We are praying for Wales to drop points in Georgia but i cant see it myself and think they will win there. Serbia are as good as Through

Group H is the one to watch as Bosnia or Greece could **** us up. Bosnia play Belgium and Estonia while Greece play Cyprus and Gibralter. Theres also possiblity of results in other not going our way but Group H is our main threat AFAIK

PTH2009 wrote: »
    squad announced 2morrow

Brady and Mcclean are suspended for the Moldova game. Doubts over Harry Arter, Wes Hoolahan, Jon Walters and James Mccarthy.

Is Scott Hogan available yet or still waiting on clearance?

Having a stab at the starting 11 and not including those who might be doubts:

Randolph

Christie - Duffy - Clarke - Ward

Myler - O'Kane

O'Dowda - Hourihane - McGeady

Long

Edit: forgot about Hendrick and Murphy who I'd have replace Meyler and Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Has O Dowda got back in the bristol team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Bad injury list. If they are all missing for the Wales game we are in trouble.

Could he line up like this (midfield diamond) if everyone above is missing?

Randolph
    Christie Duffy Clarke Ward
    Whelan
    Hendrick Meyler
    McGeady
    Long Murphy

Can't see him throwing too many fringe players into the team.

Is Scott Hogan available yet or still waiting on clearance?

Having a stab at the starting 11 and not including those who might be doubts:

Randolph

Christie - Duffy - Clarke - Ward

Myler - O'Kane

O'Dowda - Hourihane - McGeady

Long

No word on Scott Hogan but imagine he still waiting on Clearence. Love if he was named and debited vs Moldova and let us see what he is made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Is Maguire not more deserving of a place in the team compared to Hogan? They're both playing in the same league and Maguire is starting every game. O'Neill must be running out of excuses.

I wouldn't expect either of them to be near a starting spot but do think Maquire will be called up to full squad .

There won't be any major changes it's just not MON style.

Is Maguire not more deserving of a place in the team compared to Hogan? They're both playing in the same league and Maguire is starting every game. O'Neill must be running out of excuses.

I'd have him starting out on the right of a front three against Moldova but can't see MON picking him to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hardly. Sheridan is more deserving than both anyway.

pjohnson wrote: »

Is he ?
    Sheridan has 3 goals in 10 league games ,Maguire has 2 in 8.
    I'd rather see the younger man get a chance but I think Maquire will get called up before Sheridan anyways.

pjohnson wrote: »

I haven't seen him play so I couldn't judge but I'm hearing good things. I'm sure Martin has been over to Bialystok a few times to see the big man in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Maguire has gotten man of the match in about half the games he has played for Preston.

• Advertisement

If Wales draw or lose in Georgia, is it possible that they could go into our game without a chance of getting a playoff position?

Serious clutching of straws here but I thought I'd ask.

Its Martin O'Neill. It would be no surprise if Kevin Doyle starts against Moldova.

I'd say Hogan is in the squad going by a picture of an Irish passport FAI posted on one of their social media accounts.

Yeah just saw that a few minutes ago on Twitter so it's safe to say he'll be in the extended squad, doubt he'll make the cut for the final 23 man squad.

Have we any other right full instead of Christie?
    I was at the Fulham match last Sat and although he equalised for Middlesboro he had a poor game. Hasn't played well in recent games for Ireland either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I was at the Fulham match last Sat and although he equalised for Middlesboro he had a poor game. Hasn't played well in recent games for Ireland either.
    Meyler is the back up I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Im boro fan him and Randolph have been excellent this season. He is allowed get forward more for us.

brilou23 wrote: »
    Im boro fan him and Randolph have been excellent this season. He is allowed get forward more for us.
    He hasn't played too well for Ireland imo.
    In fairness I only saw last Sat's game live and he had a few great chances to put in crosses which he didn't do very well. Got a good goal though but I don't see him as international standard.

There's Matt Doherty for Wolves whose naturally a right back but this season they've been playing 3 at the back so he's been playing more as a wide midfielder on the right and last two seasons played more at left back than he has at right back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Doherty must have done something egregious to an O’Neill and a Keane .

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=origin+of+doherty+surname&gws_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=_UTKWZbiH9eogAbI_YvIDQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Maguire and Hogan in the provisional squad.

No Walters.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement