Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fcuk Walters is a big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

pjohnson wrote: »

Massive loss and can't see where he goals will come from. If McGuire or Hogan come in there hardly going to score on there debuts ??? There not that good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There's Matt Doherty for Wolves whose naturally a right back but this season they've been playing 3 at the back so he's been playing more as a wide midfielder on the right and last two seasons played more at left back than he has at right back.
    Doherty deserves a call up .

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Massive loss and can't see where he goals will come from. If McGuire or Hogan come in there hardly going to score on there debuts ??? There not that good

No reason they can't, it's Moldova after all .They have conceded 20 in 8 games.Its actually an ideal game to give one of the new lads a debut.
    They play against better opposition every weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

He wasn’t fit for the last games and did not do himself justice .

Fully fit he is a big loss . Hopefully somebody steps into the breech .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think Walters is a big losss for the whats likely to be a decider against Wales.

Against Moldova we should have enough to put them to the sword without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The problem as I see it is that when we play Wales many of our players are not starting for their clubs while the Welsh players seem to be.
    There's nothing like having regular football to sharpen you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Republic of Ireland squad
    Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Colin Doyle (Bradford City)
    Defenders: Cyrus Christie (Middlesbrough), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley)
    Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady (Burnley), James McCarthy (Everton), David Meyler (Hull City), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Jonathan Hayes (Celtic), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End)
    Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall) 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's time to dispense with Doyle and O'Shea at this stage and introduce young lads for the future.

McCleans been arguably our best performer this campaign, its probably between Coleman and himself before the injury anyway, and McCleans barely played for WBA this season.

It would be nice to have players playing reguarly in the PL or Championship but its not always possible.

I think we'll be fine, the Wales game will be a war anyway, wales will know its in their hands and we'll be going there more than likely needing a win to get through, under those circumstances, I'd always fancy Ireland to show up and its the kind of game we could easily over perform and every man give his all, I hope MON and Keane can cajole 2 huge performances out of the group, first things first though, beat Moldova and we can worry about Cardiff.

• Advertisement

It's time to dispense with Doyle and O'Shea at this stage and introduce young lads for the future.

I wouldn't mind keeping K. Doyle and O'Shea around as they can provide experience to the younger members. Its the likes of Colin Doyle and Jonny Hayes that are inexperienced AND old. Hayes appears to behind O'Dowda for goodness sake. I wouldnt be against dropping Westwood either if it meant including O'Hara in the senior set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Terrible what this campaign has descended into.

Such a lost opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

As always, there's a terrible imbalance in Ireland squads:

4 goalkeepers
    7 defenders
    14 midfielders
    7 forwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I wouldn't mind keeping K. Doyle and O'Shea around as they can provide experience to the younger members. Its the likes of Colin Doyle and Jonny Hayes that are inexperienced AND old. Hayes appears to behind O'Dowda for goodness sake. I wouldnt be against dropping Westwood either if it meant including O'Hara in the senior set up.

Hayes is terrible, I don't know how he's in there! Won't get much game time for Celtic even.

I wouldn't drop Westwood from the squad though, he's arguably better than Randolph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Frogdog wrote: »

4 goalkeepers
    7 defenders
    14 midfielders
    7 forwards

In fairness every one of those defenders will be in the final squad. . It isn't really imbalanced otherwise

Standard enough squad

Frogdog wrote: »

4 goalkeepers
    7 defenders
    14 midfielders
    7 forwards

The final squad, barring injuries, will probably be :

3 GKs : Randolph, Westwood, Elliot
    7 Defs : Christie, Keogh, Duffy, Clark, O'Shea, Long, Ward
    9 Mids : McGeady, McClean, Whelan, Hourihane, Hendrick, Brady, Meyler, Arter, Hoolahan
    4 CFs : Long, Hogan, Maguire, Murphy

Maguire could be dropped for Doyle or McGoldrick.

Edit : Got my numbers wrong and taken out McCarthy.

Hayes is terrible, I don't know how he's in there! Won't get much game time for Celtic even.

I wouldn't drop Westwood from the squad though, he's arguably better than Randolph.

I dont think Westwood will play again but I wouldn't begrudge him staying as backup. I'd just drop one of Westwood/Elliot and I'd try to have the 3rd Keeper be the U21 keeper or the keeper set to inherit the #1 jersey. Get him well integrated into the set up.

Like Randolph is 30, Westwood 32, Elliot 31, Doyle 32.

Our current #1 is our YOUNGEST keeper which strikes me as odd.

Ian Lawlor if not O'Hara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    McCleans been arguably our best performer this campaign, its probably between Coleman and himself before the injury anyway, and McCleans barely played for WBA this season.

It would be nice to have players playing reguarly in the PL or Championship but its not always possible.

I think we'll be fine, the Wales game will be a war anyway, wales will know its in their hands and we'll be going there more than likely needing a win to get through, under those circumstances, I'd always fancy Ireland to show up and its the kind of game we could easily over perform and every man give his all, I hope MON and Keane can cajole 2 huge performances out of the group, first things first though, beat Moldova and we can worry about Cardiff.

Wasnt quite the case though against Poland was it though? Still, we will know exactly what we have to do, always a help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It's time to dispense with more than just them two.

• Advertisement

I dont think Westwood will play again but I wouldn't begrudge him staying as backup. I'd just drop one of Westwood/Elliot and I'd try to have the 3rd Keeper be the U21 keeper or the keeper set to inherit the #1 jersey. Get him well integrated into the set up.

Like Randolph is 30, Westwood 32, Elliot 31, Doyle 32.

Our current #1 is our YOUNGEST keeper which strikes me as odd.

Ian Lawlor if not O'Hara.

Lawlor is starting every week in League One, would like to see him get a call up in that 3rd spot with a view to maybe becoming the number one if he pushes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

brilou23 wrote: »
    Has O Dowda got back in the bristol team

Started 5 of their last 6 games including tonights, so seems to be doing ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

GavRedKing wrote: »
    McCleans been arguably our best performer this campaign, .

He got alot of credit for two performances last November.

Not been great since although who has in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Hourihane looking like Villas best player these days
    Surely he should be playing against Moldova with all the players missing

Daryl Murphy on the score sheet again tonight, should be a cert to start for Ireland with the firm he's in scoring his 6th goal in 10 league games.

• Advertisement

Daryl Murphy on the score sheet again tonight, should be a cert to start for Ireland with the firm he's in scoring his 6th goal in 10 league games.
    Nice header back across the keeper and unlucky not to get another 2 looking at the highlights there. He's a man in form.

I'd love to see him and Maguire start together v Moldova. i know it won't happen but would make sense.

We need to win the game, both are starting every week and work better as a front 2. We are missing Walters, Brady & McClean. So a Midfield of Meyler, Hendrick, Arter, Wes in a diamond sorta thing with Cyrus & Ward asked to push forward at all times from full back in a 4-4-2 with Meyler at the base of the 4 and Wes at the attacking point.

We should go at a team for once and have attackers who are on form up front for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Championship form being seriously blown out of proportion here. The regular updates in this thread without standard context or understanding is fairly cringeworthy. Daryl Murphy is 34 and playing at a lowly level. He couldn't cut it in the premier league, 4 goals in 60 odd games, he couldn't even cut in in Scotland.

Long is far from prolific, but at least he's forged out a decent career at the top level, I'm fairly sure he'd outscore the other Irish lads if he was in the championship this year. He's our best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Championship form being seriously blown out of proportion here. The regular updates in this thread without standard context or understanding is fairly cringeworthy. Daryl Murphy is 34 and playing at a lowly level. He couldn't cut it in the premier league, 4 goals in 60 odd games, he couldn't even cut in in Scotland.

Long is far from prolific, but at least he's forged out a decent career at the top level, I'm fairly sure he'd outscore the other Irish lads if he was in the championship this year. He's our best option.

Taking everything into consideration I think it's a hard call. The goal isn't any bigger in the Championship. Shane Long doesn't even get chances anymore. He has no confidence and looks a frustrated figure. He's constantly diving, moaning and now has turned to hacking down opponents.

Against Moldova I think I'd start with someone who's in good form. Hopefully get a goal up and bring on Shane without the pressure to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We are playing Moldova, championship form is well good enough. It's important to give players game time and a bit of confidence too.

If a manager brings in a lower division player to make their debut in a competitive match, and an away match too, you have to look at the manager and think it raises questions about how they handled friendlies, home games etc. Fine if it's Maradona and the paperwork is completed the day before. Maybe Maguire, O'Kane and co. could do a job in Moldova, but the simple fact is we're only guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If a manager brings in a lower division player to make their debut in a competitive match, and an away match too, you have to look at the manager and think it raises questions about how they handled friendlies, home games etc. Fine if it's Maradona and the paperwork is completed the day before. Maybe Maguire, O'Kane and co. could do a job in Moldova, but the simple fact is we're only guessing.

We are playing Moldova at home.

Just a year too late !

Kingp35 wrote: »
    We are playing Moldova at home.

Well then Championship should do fine!

Or at least Daryl Murphy...still not sure about making debuts by starting in competitive fixtures.

Well then Championship should do fine!

Or at least Daryl Murphy...still not sure about making debuts by starting in competitive fixtures.

Why's that? You truly can't judge a player unless they play competitive fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

irishman86 wrote: »
    Hourihane looking like Villas best player these days
    Surely he should be playing against Moldova with all the players missing
    Yeah he's been very good. Hogan is a strange one, good movement but currently all huff and puff and struggling for form.

Why's that? You truly can't judge a player unless they play competitive fixtures.

Oh I agree. But just think it's better to get them used to the international set up away from the pressure of "must put points on board".

Oh I agree. But just think it's better to get them used to the international set up away from the pressure of "must put points on board".

The pressures of club football and the need to perform are much greater than international football so I'm sure the lads should have no worries with Maguire or Hogan, didn't do Wales no harm playing Ben Woodburn against Austria.

The pressures of club football and the need to perform are much greater than international football so I'm sure the lads should have no worries with Maguire or Hogan, didn't do Wales no harm playing Ben Woodburn against Austria.

Woodburn is extremely talented 17 year old old at one of the best clubs in England. He looks destined for a career at the highest level. Maguire is 23 and has 2 goals so far in the championship, a fairly average return in a bad league. Horgan is 25 and can't get in the starting line up in the championship. They are in no way comparable to Woodburn when it comes to future potential. There should be no big outrage about these lads not getting international game time as they're barely international quality.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Woodburn is extremely talented 17 year old old at one of the best clubs in England. He looks destined for a career at the highest level. Maguire is 23 and has 2 goals so far in the championship, a fairly average return in a bad league. Horgan is 25 and can't get in the starting line up in the championship. They are in no way comparable to Woodburn when it comes to future potential. There should be no big outrage about these lads not getting international game time as they're barely international quality.

You can insert the names of God knows how many players who were once described like this, actually you can stick Harry Wilson in there who was an extremely talented 17 year old at one stage and also plays at Liverpool but he's done nothing of note since his Wales debut 4yrs ago.

And Ben Woodburn is?

You can insert the names of God knows how many players who were once described like this, actually you can stick Harry Wilson in there who was an extremely talented 17 year old at one stage and also plays at Liverpool but he's done nothing of note since his Wales debut 4yrs ago.

And Ben Woodburn is?

From the little I've seen of him he looks immensely talented for someone that age. It's getting ever tougher to break into squads at the big clubs in England but he's knocking on the door and he's still legally a child. We're talking potential here and it's hard to argue his isn't light years ahead of journeymen championship players.

Even if he doesn't make it the point is still valid re Maguire and Horgan. Even by our ever diminishing international selection quality they're barely good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

****ing hell. Liverpool fans really are the worst...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

****ing hell. Liverpool fans really are the worst...

100%, give it 4-5 years and he'll probably be playing for Crawley Town and they'll be onto the next superstar 16/17 year old.

It was Neil Mellor a few years ago, Dani Pacheco more recently.

Declan Rice is only a few months older and he's played 4 games out of 7 so far in the Prem, he must be an even bigger superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Probably been posted already here and I do apologise for another Byrne update.

But the other night he saw himself play 80 minutes and was involved in a goal.
    Doyle had a great game but will be interesting to see how their season turns out when a new manager is announced.

Obviously relegation zone League 1 isn't up international level but for Byrne in particular I hope they can drag Oldham up the table and perhaps earn a move up to the Championship.

Rice looks like an excellent prospect, no doubt about it, but its much harder to make it at a team like Liverpool, when the guys youre replcaing are in most cases, are guys with international caps and experience of playing at the highest levels, comapred to West Ham, no disrespect to West Ham but theres a different level of player you'd be replacing and expectation levels at both clubs arent even remotely comparable.

That goes for any 16-21 year old at the top 6 sides, theyed probably get games at the lower end of the table and could start lower down the leagues for clubs but given the nature of the league and managers are getting sacked after a handful of games, it makes it harder to break into and sustain a run in the those teams given the players you are competing against.

That being said, I'd love if Rice was given a senior game in the next 12months.

Wales squad to face Georgia and Republic of Ireland:

Goalkeepers: Wayne Hennessey, Danny Ward, Chris Maxwell.

Defenders: Ben Davies, James Chester, Neil Taylor, Chris Gunter, Tom Lockyer, Ashley Williams, Ethan Ampadu.

Midfielders: Joe Allen, David Edwards, Andy King, Joe Ledley, Aaron Ramsey, Jonathan Williams, David Brooks.

Forwards: Gareth Bale, Marley Watkins, Hal Robson-Kanu, Sam Vokes, Tom Lawrence, Ben Woodburn.

Wales have included five uncapped players in Chris Maxwell, Tom Lockyer, Marley Watkins, David Brooks and Chelsea youngster Ethan Ampadu who could have also played for Ireland.

Kevin Doyle retiring with immediate effect .Got medical advice and was told to quid,seemingly he was having problems the last while with headaches.
    He had a few very good years with us and always came across as a sound fella.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Thanks Kevin , for all you did playing for Ireland .
    I hope everything works out for you . Best of Luck .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yeah seemed like a good bloke alright, not a tiresome primadonna. 64 caps 14 goals, thanks Kev.

Good player over the years, a pity to see his career end suddenly like this. I'm sure at only 34 he could easily have got another 2 or 3 years over there.

Scored some nice goals for us, I remember his goal away in Slovakia In 2007 I think, great strike with the left foot.
    Late winner away to Kazakhstan too soon after Euro 2012 was big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kevin Doyle imo was Robbie Keane's best strike partner. We shouldn't let the last few years cloud our judgement of him. He won the Senior Player of the Year Award twice in 2008 and 2010 and you always knew the guy would work his socks off.

Back then when you had Kilbane on the left, Duff on the right, and Keane and Doyle up top, you knew the team had goals in it. Doyle's retirement feels in a way like the end of an era as all those other players have moved on too (though Keane hasn't quite left the club game yet).

Shane Long I suspect will wind up being remembered more fondly by most, primarily for his goal against Germany, but looking back over the years and thinking back over the performances of both strikers in big games, I think peak Doyle was more reliable than peak Long.

Hope Kevin has a happy retirement whatever he decides to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement