Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Kevin Doyle .....He won the Senior Player of the Year Award twice in 2008 and 2010

That's quite something really, considering the quality of player he would have been up against
    Keane, Duff, Given, Dunne etc.

Wish him the very best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was right behind goal for that belter v Slovakia.

Cork City and Ireland legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Kevin Doyle imo was Robbie Keane's best strike partner. We shouldn't let the last few years cloud our judgement of him. He won the Senior Player of the Year Award twice in 2008 and 2010 and you always knew the guy would work his socks off.

Back then when you had Kilbane on the left, Duff on the right, and Keane and Doyle up top, you knew the team had goals in it. Doyle's retirement feels in a way like the end of an era as all those other players have moved on too (though Keane hasn't quite left the club game yet).

Shane Long I suspect will wind up being remembered more fondly by most, primarily for his goal against Germany, but looking back over the years and thinking back over the performances of both strikers in big games, I think peak Doyle was more reliable than peak Long.

Hope Kevin has a happy retirement whatever he decides to do.

Was about to post something similar, easy to forget how good he was for us for a couple of years, if I was picking an Irish XI from my time supporting the team he would be who I would have up front with Robbie. They both worked very well together.

Alan Bennett said on twitter that he really blazed the trail for LoI players going across the water too, he was the first of a bunch to go onto become a regular international from the league, followed by the likes of Long, Coleman, McClean, Fahey and Stephen Ward. Was convinced he would come back to play in the league one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The FAI Twitter page embarrassing this morning, giving Kevin Doyle a bigger send off than they gave Robbie Keane..

A good servent he was, and sorry to see his career end the way it has, but very OTT from FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The FAI Twitter page embarrassing this morning, giving Kevin Doyle a bigger send off than they gave Robbie Keane..

A good servent he was, and sorry to see his career end the way it has, but very OTT from FAI.

God, what a bitter little post.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote:
    God, what a bitter little post.

Did not mean to come across bitter atall? Why would I, he scored some important goals for my country and put in some great performances, just think it's a little bit over the top. I mean Robbie didn't get half the amount of attention when we should have had a day of mourning..

Best of luck and health to kev in whatever he decides to do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Did not mean to come across bitter atall? Why would I, he scored some important goals for my country and put in some great performances, just think it's a little bit over the top. I mean Robbie didn't get half the amount of attention when we should have had a day of mourning..

Keane isn't retired from the game yet.

Keane isn't retired from the game yet.

He retired from international football over a year ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He retired from international football over a year ago!

He did and FAI basically gave him the Oman game as a send off.They couldn't have done a whole lot more for him,it was a testimonial in all but name.They even had a bit of a half time show for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yabadabado wrote: »
    He did and FAI basically gave him the Oman game as a send off.They couldn't have done a whole lot more for him,it was a testimonial in all but name.They even had a bit of a half time show for.

Yeah, but he didn't get the best tweet ever...............

• Advertisement

Yeah, but he didn't get the best tweet ever...............

The bastards :eek:

People getting really butthurt over my statement. I just think it's a bit much, a very, very average player retired. Thanks for the service and best of luck in the fututre would do. You'd swear Messi is after hanging up the boots.

I think the only one getting butthurt is yourself over Robbie not getting a better tweet or some nonsense .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I just think it's a bit much, a very, very average player retired.

That is extremely harsh. As already stated, Doyle won senior player of the year for us twice. He's our 9th top goalscorer of all time. He formed a great partnership with Robbie Keane and he always made himself available to play despite being on a different continent.

You're being very disrespectful towards a good player for us.

1 goal every 15 games for a stiker, not very good at all to be honest. Why do we elevate mediocre players like this.

James McClean made his first appearance end of 2014 and nearly has as many goals from midfield..

Doyle wasn't very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

People getting really butthurt over my statement. I just think it's a bit much, a very, very average player retired. Thanks for the service and best of luck in the fututre would do. You'd swear Messi is after hanging up the boots.
    James McClean made his first appearance end of 2014 and nearly has as many goals from midfield..

Doyle wasn't very good.
    Weird how a "very, very average player" was twice named our player of the year ahead of our best goalscorer ever, our best goalkeeper ever, probably our best winger ever, and one of our better centre backs too while they were all at their peak years.

He may well have not been nearly the same player the last 5-6 years or so, but I'm thinking it might be best to just give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't watching or were very young 8-10 years ago.
    1 goal every 15 games for a stiker, not very good at all to be honest. Why do we elevate mediocre players like this.
    You also appear to struggle with maths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I mean Robbie didn't get half the amount of attention when we should have had a day of mourning
    Keane scored 2 goals in his champions league career, same as Phil Neville. So that's probably mediocre by your logic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I suppose Doyle is average when you consider the galacticos we had during that period. Mighty strikers like Caleb Folan and Leon Best. Some people need to know when to stop digging.

Well I have good news for you. Robbie Keane is not dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Whatever about what a few punters on the internet think, our most respected pundit John Giles thought Doyle was "never dishonest & done his best"

Well I would say he was our best player in the early trap years as proven by the awards he won.

Eaten bread, soon forgotten.

Dots1982 wrote:
    Whatever about what a few punters on the internet think, our most respected pundit John Giles thought Doyle was "never dishonest & done his best"

I'd be honest and do my best too, doesn't mean I'm any good..

Dots1982 wrote:

Patww79 wrote:

Surprised myself. I'd go farther back than 4 years too, a LOT farther.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yeah...but something tells me that you being honest and doing your best wouldn't end up with you being Irelands 8th top scorer of all time, and winning U21 player of the year, Young player of the year, and two Senior player of the year awards.

Kevin Doyle on the other hand....

Was expecting this earlier to be honest.. If I'm not better than him I can't have an opinion.

Was expecting this earlier to be honest.. If I'm not better than him I can't have an opinion.

You can have an opinion. Just if you have a particularly bizarre opinion people will respond.

If I announced Shay Given as being a worthless goalkeeper for Ireland based solely on the last few years I'd expect to be called on it.

My point is don't care much what lads on the internet say. They're entitled to their opinion. But john Giles is praising him but he makes it sound like he was some useless Gary Doherty (sorry doc) type rather than a highly accomplished player who was probably our best player for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Dots1982 wrote: »
    My point is don't care much what lads on the internet say. They're entitled to their opinion. But john Giles is praising him but he makes it sound like he was some useless Gary Doherty (sorry doc) type rather than a highly accomplished player who was probably our best player for a number of years.

Good player and great servant but not in any squad was he in the top 3 players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Patww79 wrote: »
    He was decent in his day but the staunch defence of him is surprising. If he was named in a squad 4 years ago most people would have been looking his knees done in.

He was named in the squad for Moldova.

brilou23 wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »

Good player and great servant but not in any squad was he in the top 3 players.

He won senior international player of the year twice in three years so your view is your view but is extremely easy to argue against.

In early trap years he was the lad doing it for us more than any other player. That is just my opinion.

Dots1982 wrote:
    In early trap years he was the lad doing it for us more than any other player. That is just my opinion.

Doing what???

Player of the year awards mean Jack ****. Who voted for these awards?

Remember Ryan giggs got player of the year on 09 while Ronaldo scored a shed load of goals, Torres and Gerrard nearly win Liverpool the league!!

Kevin Doyle was bang average, fair enough I knew not everyone would agree, but I'm surprised people think he was actually one of our better players!!

Player of the year awards mean Jack ****. Who voted for these awards?

Remember Ryan giggs got player of the year on 09 while Ronaldo scored a shed load of goals, Torres and Gerrard nearly win Liverpool the league!!

Kevin Doyle was bang average, fair enough I knew not everyone would agree, but I'm surprised people think he was actually one of our better players!!

Do you think Torres, Gerrard, Ronaldo are Irish? Ya might aswell cite Messi while you're at it.

• Advertisement

No answer to the point I was trying to make so you deflect, well done..

No answer to the point I was trying to make so you deflect, well done..

No deflection. Kevin Doyle won the Irish Player of the Year. You starting listing Premier League Player of the years as if that is in any way relevant to the Irish award?

pjohnson wrote:
    No deflection. Kevin Doyle won the Irish Player of the Year. You starting listing Premier League Player of the years as if that is in any way relevant to the Irish award?

Making a point that the best player isnt always the player voted player of the year! You know this. Asking me if Ronaldo is Irish is pure deflection.

Who votes for this award can someone tell me? Couldn't see it online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Seems to me that people can't seperate Doyle in his prime to his recent form. It's hardly his fault he kept being called up despite getting on in age, and fair play to him for still making himself available all these years.

Don't forget he was heavily linked with Arsenal at one stage....

Don't forget he was heavily linked with Arsenal at one stage....

Heavily linked as in the papers making headlines?

Doyle did put in some fantastic perfermonces for us, and scored some crucial goals, as I said in my original post, but come on, he was an average player. Not great not terrible. Just did a job up front with Robbie.

• Advertisement

Anyway lads, didn't expect this to blow up as much as it did. I think he was a handy player that's it, no where near our best players. I'm going to leave it there our opinions won't change.

Can anyone shed light on who votes for the FAI player of the year award for me?

...a very, very average player...
    I think he was a handy player that's it

Now I'm a bit lost. For me, "handy" = good, "very very average" = bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Making a point that the best player isnt always the player voted player of the year! You know this. Asking me if Ronaldo is Irish is pure deflection.

It's fair enough to argue that a player who wins the Player of the Year award was not necessarily the best player. That's a reasonable view to have.

But to argue that a player who wins the Player of the Year award on two separate occasions was a "bang average" player is not only an unreasonable view, but a quite illogical one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I just hope he got the opportunity to retire on time and that the damage is not already done.

Now I'm a bit lost. For me, "handy" = good, "very very average" = bad...

Bad = bad

Handy = average

Good = good

As I said lads, I have my opinion, ye have yers. It's my first day in the soccer forum, don't want to fall out with everyone :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It's all pretty relative.

If you compared his career to every professional footballer on earth he was way above average.

If you compare him to every player in premier league history he'd probably fall on the average.

He's the type of lad that will always get praise because he left it all on the field, his attitude was impeccable. We've had lads such as Andy Reid or Stephen Ireland who had far more natural talent but didn't have his drive.

We'd fecking love a peak Kevin Doyle in our side now that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think he was very effective for a few years but unfortunately his form declined when he was still quite young. I wouldn't go as far as to call him a one season wonder but he did have that one breakthrough season in the PL and that was kind of that.

I think he had good ability but I think he gets way too much praise for his attitude. Irish players are always apparently 'honest' and 'hardworking'. I think a majority of them are too content with this tag. They get to a good level in the game through ability and then they find this niche Irish thing of just being an 'honest' player. That's why they end up back in the Championship. Pretty much every professional player works hard at their game and upon retirement the praise of such a basic requirement is actually one of the worst things that could be said.

Doyle had good ability. He was an intelligent player. But I think either his body let him down or he didn't work hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Bad = bad

Handy = average

Good = good

You should ask your grandad about how good Kevin Doyle was for Ireland at his peak.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement