Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Personally I loved when I saw Doyle on the team sheet for us, always knew the opposing defenders were going to have it tough. Plus I think he was good for an important goal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

you reckon people are arguing with him because he's new to the soccer forum ?
    That's nonsense .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

No one is 'vehemently defending' Doyle except in your vivid imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Not specifically but I couldn't see the pile-on happening otherwise. Like, it's Kevin Doyle for God's sake. A player who has been rounded on for years on this very forum, and now he's defended to the bone because someone doesn't think he's absolutely amazing?[/quote]

I never even noticed he was a newbie.

I think he was our best player in the late noughties.

It's just an opinion and I'll give it. Everyone should feel the same. This is just an Internet forum. Everyone should feel comfortable giving their own say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Haha I doubt anyone knew he was new to the forum or cared for that matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Had no idea the lad was new just saw a line in his post that made me think nah hang on there mate thats some BS. Ithought Doyle probably shouldn't have been selected for the past few squads but he has been an integral part of Irish squads overall for so long now. A great servant to the cause and for a couple of years there he reached a very high level. When Reading were at their peak he was the main driving force. I recall him getting linked to Chelsea at one point as well as Arsenal but even if there was any truth in them he probably would have just been a cheap squad player for the time. Weird all the talk started over how grandious a tweet he got as his send off but im glad he was given a good goodbye and I hope he is healthy and has a good retirement.

It will be interesting to see how the potential replacements for him in squads do now looking forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The "rounding on", if you put it that way, has mainly been due to the fact that, over the last 2 years, he has continuously been called up when, realistically speaking, he would very much unlikely get minutes, never mind the fact he may even not make the final 23 cut. Many (not me, over specifically, were just a tad frustrated that there were other options that could have been explored that his squad call ups were depriving such.

As I said, not a massive gripe from me, but most of the defence of him after the rather disparaging review of his whole Irish career by the OP, would draw many, naturally into defending him.

Especially his silly issue with regard to a 140 character tweet acknowledging a servant to the shirt who has now had to retire for health issues.

And then the silly notion that Robbie Keane wasn't acknowledged as much when he retired!!

Surely you can see why posters would react to that nonsense (albeit his opinion, but an opinion put on a discussion forum, nonetheless)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Another straight red for a two footed challenge by that w*nker Taylor for Villa. He can't help himself

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Another straight red for a two footed challenge by that w*nker Taylor for Villa. He can't help himself

#NotThatTypeOfPlayer :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A hat-trick for Adam Rooney in the SPL today but sure why would you bother bringing in a player who has almost an average of a goal every two games when you can bring in a failed England wannabe international like Scott Hogan?

It's not like we're crying out for a goal-scorer or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

People screaming for sheridan and rooney hasn't even been capped yet

A hat-trick for Adam Rooney in the SPL today but sure why would you bother bringing in a player who has almost an average of a goal every two games when you can bring in a failed England wannabe international like Scott Hogan?

It's not like we're crying out for a goal-scorer or anything.

Oh, don't start with that again.

Whatever about your opinion of the qualities both IRISH DECLARED players bring,which is fair enough and I agree Rooney deserves a call up, why do you have to include the precursor. It's getting boring.

I never hear Houghton being referred to as "Scottish wannabe international Houghton"

Yeah, fair enough, probably over the top but it's a massive pisser to see someone like him fast-tracked into the Irish squad when the top scoring Irishman for three years can't even get a place outside of the 'provisional squad'.

Really can't understand O'Neill and Keane's blindspot when it comes to Rooney. There's no-one even close to his goal record, in the last three years he's scored 28 goals, 20 goal, 20 goals and has four goals this season. It's an insult to say he's not worth a place in our squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Yeah, fair enough, probably over the top but it's a massive pisser to see someone like him fast-tracked into the Irish squad when the top scoring Irishman for three years can't even get a place outside of the 'provisional squad'.

Really can't understand O'Neill and Keane's blindspot when it comes to Rooney. There's no-one even close to his goal record, in the last three years he's scored 28 goals, 20 goal, 20 goals and has four goals this season. It's an insult to say he's not worth a place in our squad.

Not always a regular for Aberdeen so I don't think he'd be a good option for Ireland tbh.

Not always a regular for Aberdeen so I don't think he'd be a good option for Ireland tbh.

Huh? He played every single league game for them last season and scored 20 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Huh? He played every single league game for them last season and scored 20 goals.

Was dropped for the cup final and hasn't been a nailed on starter since.

Was dropped for the cup final and hasn't been a nailed on starter since.

He started the season injured though and missed the first four games, including Europa qualifiers. Lost his place though that and is forcing his way back in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I think he had good ability but I think he gets way too much praise for his attitude. Irish players are always apparently 'honest' and 'hardworking'. I think a majority of them are too content with this tag. They get to a good level in the game through ability and then they find this niche Irish thing of just being an 'honest' player. That's why they end up back in the Championship. Pretty much every professional player works hard at their game and upon retirement the praise of such a basic requirement is actually one of the worst things that could be said.

That's so true. Shane long following the trend too, puts a great shift in, fights for every ball but isn't really any good with the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bale out of the Madrid match today and may miss the Wales game.

Its the hope that kills. So I am not even going to think about that right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I would be very surprised if he missed out on these games, Wales on the verge of their first world cup in a long time, I think he will want to play. If he was to miss it though it would be a massive boost for Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ha ha we had that story the last time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I would be very surprised if he missed out on these games, Wales on the verge of their first world cup in a long time, I think he will want to play. If he was to miss it though it would be a massive boost for Ireland!

Well, on the verge of is a bit much. They've an outside shot at a playoff spot.

See hendrick scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Updated Squad from FAI website:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Colin Doyle (Bradford City)

Defenders: Cyrus Christie (Middlesbrough), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley)

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady (Burnley), James McCarthy (Everton), David Meyler (Hull City), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Jonathan Hayes (Celtic), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End)

Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Big boost for Ireland's chances of a win in Cardiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dont mind the Wales v Ireland game, Bale missing the Georgia game is huge too, we know that Georgia are no mugs so without their best player, that away game in Tbilisi has now become even more difficult for Wales.

Puts massive pressure on them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's huge.

Makes this a 50/50 now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Dont mind the Wales v Ireland game, Bale missing the Georgia game is huge too, we know that Georgia are no mugs so without their best player, that away game in Tbilisi has now become even more difficult for Wales.

First thing I thought of, I can see them being lucky to even get out with a point. Group is wide open!

GavRedKing wrote: »

I think Ireland need 6 points regardless. Otherwise they might finish 2nd with a draw in Cardiff if Wales drop points v Georgia, but they will most likely be bottom placed of the 2nd placed sides and therefore won't get a play off anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The Georgia Wales game is completely immaterial. We need 6 points regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The Georgia Wales game is completely immaterial. We need 6 points regardless.

Yes we need 6 points, but if Wales aren't in with a realistic chance of making the play offs, our game in Cardiff might be a little bit easier.

• Al well and good about Bale being missing.
    We still have work to do Friday. Lets get the 3 points first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To me It's very simple - Ireland have to win both games.

We shouldn't be in this situation but only have ourselves to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Anyone think we have Seamus Coleman’s broken leg more than anything else to blame?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Anyone think we have Seamus Coleman’s broken leg more than anything else to blame?
    I think that was crucial. And the challenge from the Welsh player on him was wreckless and unprofessional. We owe it to Coleman and ourselves to dump Wales out in their backyard regardless of any other permutations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The best bale out since the banking crisis in 2008.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The best bale out since the banking crisis in 2008.
    I hope not . We have been paying for that ever since:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dots1982 wrote: »

Sorry but last 2 performances were disgraceful and realistically we don't deserve to go to any world cup playing like that and stinking out the tournament.

Coleman might have helped but blame lies with management and the team for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think that was crucial. And the challenge from the Welsh player on him was wreckless and unprofessional. We owe it to Coleman and ourselves to dump Wales out in their backyard regardless of any other permutations.

Especially with the way Coleman handled the press conference after it.

If we win our 2 games are we guaranteed a play off spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Depends on results from other groups but we are more than likely to finish off bottom of the 2nd place list and miss out on a play off spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Depends on results from other groups but we are more than likely to finish off bottom of the 2nd place list and miss out on a play off spot.

Well that's pretty lame.

So we're basically playing for pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

If we win both I reckon we'll sneak in but I just cant see us winning away to Wales even with them missing Bale.

Especially with the way Coleman handled the press conference after it.
    Yep Chris Coleman was disgraceful in his comments. Our players won't have forgotten what happened that night and how indisciplined, cowardly and unprofessional the Welsh were as they lost their tempers in what was a niggly battle..
    Not 100% but two wins should be enough for a play off spot. Here are the permutations.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1002/909048-all-permutations-what-ireland-need-to-win-playoff-spot/

If we get 6 points one of those permutations is likely. We'll know some of the results involving the other permutations before we kick off on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We've 10 points, which is 2 more than Bosnia and Wales who are in 2nd, if you take into consideration our results against the bottom seeds.

Bosnia and wales are playing for 6pts, giving them a max of 14.

Wales have Georgia away and us at home.

Bosnia have Belgium at home and Estonia away.

Neither side will pick up a maximum 6 points but it could well come down to us needing to win in Wales and given us 13 points and should put us out of the reach of Bosnia who I reckon will get 12 pts at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If Wales don't beat Georgia then our match against Moldova means nothing. It wont count for points in the second place table and We need to beat Wales no matter what happens.

Is that correct?

If Wales don't beat Georgia then our match against Moldova means nothing. It wont count for points in the second place table and We need to beat Wales no matter what happens.

Is that correct?
    No we'll need to get the points from both games. It doesn't matter as regards how much we beat Moldova by, any win at all in that will do, and then go to Cardiff for win or bust.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement