Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

By O’Neill’s standards even having Hogan , Maguire , O Brien in the squad is fairly adventurous .

Obviously brought about by no Walters and Doyle .

I an going for 6--0 against Moldova and 6--0 against Wales .

The Goal gods are going to shine on us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

blinding wrote: »
    By O’Neill’s standards even having Hogan , Maguire , O Brien in the squad is fairly adventurous.

Is it though? He named a 30 man squad which gives him plenty of room to name lads who otherwise probably wouldnt make a 23 man squad to look like he's been adventurous. We must be the only country that names enough players in the squad to fill 3 or 4 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I see Wales are nailed on for qualification according to the bookies

There 6/5 to go to Russia, We're 9/2
    Wales are desperately poor value at that price, even if they get a play off they could get Italy in it. 9to2 is a better reflection of Ireland's chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm hopeful of getting to the WC anyway but if we fail to get a playoff what do we do with O'Neill and Keane, theyve a contract until after the WC in 2018.

I cant see the FAI getting rid of them, even if we finish 3rd or worse and fail to make it to the playoffs.

Given the position we were in before the September internationals played out, it seems inexcusable that we might not even make the playoffs but its exactly where we are right now.

We've managed just over a goal a game in this group, which isnt exactly brilliant, our top scorer has 3 goals and the football served up away in Georgia was laughably poor at best.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after the WC and whether or not Delaney and Co. will cast off O'Neill and Keane or give tham another 2 years, to bring them up to the Euros in 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    They're currently on +7 goal difference when you discount the matches against the bottom team in their group.

They have one of the best defences in qualifying, conceding only 2 goals.

Northern Ireland are getting a playoff place.

The goal difference might not come into it necessarily. They could lose both game and Wales win both and Wales would be ahead by a point. Obv need other groups to go against them too but don't think they're as comfortable as position may suggest.

But wouldn't put it past Germany to put 4 past them either particularly if they score early. Their ultra defensive style would have to change leaving them more vulnerable than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Rekop dog wrote: »
    The goal difference might not come into it necessarily. They could lose both game and Wales win both and Wales would be ahead by a point. Obv need other groups to go against them too but don't think they're as comfortable as position may suggest.

But wouldn't put it past Germany to put 4 past them either particularly if they score early. Their ultra defensive style would have to change leaving them more vulnerable than usual.
    They might even tighten up more after conceding an early goal to avoid a big score against . No guarantees of course .

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm hopeful of getting to the WC anyway but if we fail to get a playoff what do we do with O'Neill and Keane, theyve a contract until after the WC in 2018.

I cant see the FAI getting rid of them, even if we finish 3rd or worse and fail to make it to the playoffs.

Given the position we were in before the September internationals played out, it seems inexcusable that we might not even make the playoffs but its exactly where we are right now.

We've managed just over a goal a game in this group, which isnt exactly brilliant, our top scorer has 3 goals and the football served up away in Georgia was laughably poor at best.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after the WC and whether or not Delaney and Co. will cast off O'Neill and Keane or give tham another 2 years, to bring them up to the Euros in 2020.

Can't see them being here after the WC 2018, can see O'Neill not renweing his contract and of if he leaves hopefully Roy Keane follows him and finds some coaching job in England for himself.

I doubt the FAI would release them from their contracts early if they failed to make the play offs but I can't see the point in keeping them around for another 8 or 9 months and would bring in a new manager as soon as the qualifiers are over if we don't make the WC 2018.

Would it have been more excusable if we were in a worse position in September? Complete victims of their early success. They've given a pretty average international side a fighting chance coming into the last couple of games, any realistic onlooker would be happy with their results as a whole since they've been here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Can't see them being here after the WC 2018, can see O'Neill not renweing his contract and of if he leaves hopefully Roy Keane follows him and finds some coaching job in England for himself.

I doubt the FAI would release them from their contracts early if they failed to make the play offs but I can't see the point in keeping them around for another 8 or 9 months and would bring in a new manager as soon as the qualifiers are over if we don't make the WC 2018.

I would have thought that their contracts go up to the end of Ireland's World Cup campaign, whether that's Monday night or next July. Am I wrong?

If they qualify for a World Cup, surely a clause is triggered that extends it to next June/July.

Seems crazy to guarantee someone contract for 8 months after we're eliminated, especially when we wouldn't be a team likely to qualify for a World Cup in the first place.

• Advertisement

I would have thought that their contracts go up to the end of Ireland's World Cup campaign, whether that's Monday night or next July. Am I wrong?

If they qualify for a World Cup, surely a clause is triggered that extends it to next June/July.

Seems crazy to guarantee someone contract for 8 months after we're eliminated, especially when we wouldn't be a team likely to qualify for a World Cup in the first place.

Honestly don't know if they do but would make sense to have a clause like that. Bring the new guy in to give him time with the players and see who he wants for the qualifiers for Euro 2020.

Honestly don't know if they do but would make sense to have a clause like that. Bring the new guy in to give him time with the players and see who he wants for the qualifiers for Euro 2020.

I don't think they'd be in any rush to replace them. The manager market might have a few more decent pickings come February or March anyway.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't think they'd be in any rush to replace them. The manager market might have a few more decent pickings come February or March anyway.

Carlo Ancelotti is free right now :P

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what about the northern ireland manager?

Looking at the work that MON 2.0 has done with Northern Ireland coming straight from LOI to International football I'd take a risk on Stephen Kenny. He'd probably cost less than what Roy Keane is on so won't be breaking the bank to get him. Give Chris Hughton a few more years before approaching him, couldn't see him coming in now at 58.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    what about the northern ireland manager?

Only signed a new contract last summer until 2020, would cost a fair few quid to get him I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Looking at the work that MON 2.0 has done with Northern Ireland coming straight from LOI to International football I'd take a risk on Stephen Kenny. He'd probably cost less than what Roy Keane is on so won't be breaking the bank to get him. Give Chris Hughton a few more years before approaching him, couldn't see him coming in now at 58.
    after trappatoni and now MON, Id actually like to see what a manager, who would have us playing non hoofball and giving up possession constantly would do. There is so much speculation and debate, Id like that ended and lets find out with the next manager...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,944 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is Bale definitely out of the Ireland game?
    I saw somewhere that his injury is not as serious as first thought.
    I always thought he'd play in this game just like his miracle comeback last time against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I'd be very wary of giving the job to Chris Hughton to be honest. It'd be more of the same I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Is Bale definitely out of the Ireland game?
    I saw somewhere that his injury is not as serious as first thought.
    I always thought he'd play in this game just like his miracle comeback last time against us.

He's definitely out of both remaining games. I'm hoping Georgia can at least get a draw. Then that means we only need to draw with Wales, provided we beat Moldova. I'm not sure how that'll leave us regarding the 8 best second places. I think Wales currently occupy last place in that regard. Hopefully countries in the other groups drop down in the remaining games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

sligeach wrote: »
    He's definitely out of both remaining games. I'm hoping Georgia can at least get a draw. Then that means we only need to draw with Wales, provided we beat Moldova. I'm not sure how that'll leave us regarding the 8 best second places. I think Wales currently occupy last place in that regard. Hopefully countries in the other groups drop down in the remaining games.

Our game against Moldova doesn't count so it's pretty much a win against Wales gives us a chance of not being worst runner up but we more than likely will be.

Would it have been more excusable if we were in a worse position in September? Complete victims of their early success. They've given a pretty average international side a fighting chance coming into the last couple of games, any realistic onlooker would be happy with their results as a whole since they've been here.

Every campaign I'd expect Ireland to be in with a shot of the playoffs in the last 2 games, we usually do, the Euro Qualifiers have the top 2 going through now and the 3rd team in a playoff, if we didnt finish at least 3rd, I'd be really pi**ed.

The only difference this time around in the WC qualifiers, was that we had 2 brilliant results in Vienna and a hard fought draw in Belgrade, that coupled with home wins, gave us 10 points after 4 games and we were top of the group, I dont think anyone expected us to finish there but we put ourselves in a great position to at least finish 2nd at that rate with the rest dropping points behind us.

Irelands strength has always been at home where we'd pick up wins.

The fact we only picked up 3 points from the following 4 games and 3 of them games being at home, is a travesty, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

So tonight we are looking for

• · A big win for Germany (no disrespect to our Northern brethren, but everyone for themselves at this stage)
    • · Montenegro to beat Denmark (Montenegro will have a slightly worse GD and remember the Vikings)
    • · Scotland to beat Slovakia (we’ll turn against the Scots after tonight’s match, don’t worry)
    • · England to beat Slovenia (C’mon, they’re really the same as us.)

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1002/909048-all-permutations-what-ireland-need-to-win-playoff-spot/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

sligeach wrote: »

If we draw with Wales we're all but guaranteed to be the worst second place team. Even with a win it's still likely we'll be the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

josip wrote: »

• · A big win for Germany (no disrespect to our Northern brethren, but everyone for themselves at this stage)
    • · Montenegro to beat Denmark (Montenegro will have a slightly worse GD and remember the Vikings)
    • · Scotland to beat Slovakia (we’ll turn against the Scots after tonight’s match, don’t worry)
    • · England to beat Slovenia (C’mon, they’re really the same as us.)

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1002/909048-all-permutations-what-ireland-need-to-win-playoff-spot/

Have to cheer England on against a lower ranked team???

I feel dirty

David Meyler doing media with Martin O'Neill today. Isn't it usually the captain who does that media stint day before match?

If that's the case, Whelan isn't a starter, as he would be the default captain.

David Meyler doing media with Martin O'Neill today. Isn't it usually the captain who does that media stint day before match?

If that's the case, Whelan isn't a starter, as he would be the default captain.

Keeping him for the Welsh game?

josip wrote: »

I actually hope Northern Ireland get a positive result and secure their spot in the play off.

I actually hope Northern Ireland get a positive result and secure their spot in the play off.

If it didn't have any potential impact on us, I would too.
    However at this stage I'm shouting for every scenario that might help us sneak through.
    Deutschland über alles!

• Advertisement

Nope. Hope the Germans hammer them. They're not a nice bunch especially towards us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Me too, we are out. Hopefully one of the teams from the island can make it to Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Me too, we are out. Hopefully one of the teams from the island can make it to Russia.

Thats the spirit! No suprises really.

Not even for that reason and wouldn't say we're out seeing as we can still mathematically make the play offs but I'm a big fan of Michael O'Neill whose worked wonders with the players at his disposal and apart from a 2-0 lose to Germany they've kept clean sheets in every game they played.

Not bad for a bloke whose last job before the NI job was in the league of Ireland and gets paid less than our assistant manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MoN dropping hints he will stay on till 2020.

MoN dropping hints he will stay on till 2020.

He's also dropping hints that there will be a clean out after the World Cup whether or not (certain) players want to stay on or not.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/martin-oneill-expects-departures-after-world-cup-tilt-36198618.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not even for that reason and wouldn't say we're out seeing as we can still mathematically make the play offs but I'm a big fan of Michael O'Neill whose worked wonders with the players at his disposal and apart from a 2-0 lose to Germany they've kept clean sheets in every game they played.

Not bad for a bloke whose last job before the NI job was in the league of Ireland and gets paid less than our assistant manager.

Palace can still mathematically win the Premiership. That's not gonna happen either.

Palace can still mathematically win the Premiership. That's not gonna happen either.

Which would be my view also if I was Paddy Power.
    But as a supporter, you've always got to have hope?

Hardly comparable really. Our fate comes down to 2 games. One of which should be a banker, the other against a team similar to ourselves, minus they're game changing player, and in a winner takes all match.

The playoff is another matter. But that would have always been the case.

Every campaign I'd expect Ireland to be in with a shot of the playoffs in the last 2 games, we usually do, the Euro Qualifiers have the top 2 going through now and the 3rd team in a playoff, if we didnt finish at least 3rd, I'd be really pi**ed.

It's our worst squad in 30 years though. People are either really poor at analysing these things or It's like a sort of denial thing in fans heads, that they point fingers at everything before eventually coming to the *very* obvious conclusion that we're poor. Comparing it to previous campaigns where we had some proper decent players is very unfair on management. For this team to basically be in a final match playoff for to get top two is in no way underachieving, personally feel it's the opposite.

Then you get people pointing at Northern Ireland saying "if they can do it why can't we", but for every 1 Northern Ireland you have 20 other comparatively weak squads performing on a scale of decent to terrible. You can't sack all those twenty managers because one side is performing miracles. It's like Watford or Burnley saying "well top 10 is good for us but Leicester won the league a few years ago so better get someone in to take us to those heights"

It's our worst squad in 30 years though. People are either really poor at analysing these things or It's like a sort of denial thing in fans heads, that they point fingers at everything before eventually coming to the *very* obvious conclusion that we're poor. Comparing it to previous campaigns where we had some proper decent players is very unfair on management. For this team to basically be in a final match playoff for to get top two is in no way underachieving, personally feel it's the opposite.

Then you get people pointing at Northern Ireland saying "if they can do it why can't we", but for every 1 Northern Ireland you have 20 other comparatively weak squads performing on a scale of decent to terrible. You can't sack all those twenty managers because one side is performing miracles. It's like Watford or Burnley saying "well top 10 is good for us but Leicester won the league a few years ago so better get someone in to take us to those heights"

Good point. Would Ranieri be available after the WC ? :D

• Advertisement

I'd agree to a some extent, but I also think the current Irish management is tactically inept. It's fairly obvious that Michael's O'Neill's great job is down to some kind of plan.

It's also obvious that Martin O'Neill is winging it "tactically".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Excellent post

I wouldnt be painting O'Neill as a miracle worker either or a manager thats got this team over performing.

We poxed our way to the Euros by the fact Scotland f**ked up there last few games, ironically, the catalyst for this was losing to Georgia, that cost them big time and we pipped them.

Throw the Euros into the mix and we get out of the group by finishing as one of the best four 3rd placed teams after we beat a second string Italian side that was assured of place in the K/O's.

We dont have the luck of finishing 3rd and making a play off this time around and I think the results and more critically, the performances in the last 4 games are the deciding factor in where we will finish.

I'd agree, we are a poor side but the way O'Neill has us playing makes us look like a 6th seed country that go out to keep the score down, right from the off. Theres no joined up tactics, O'Neill doesnt encourage "risky" football to be played, he reminds me of a Sunday league manager who will want his players to get rid of it if they come under any pressure, more often than not, we're under zero pressure and Randloph will direct everyone away from him and the ball is launched 70 yards to play for scraps, the odd instance he'll give it to the CB who will do the exact same job.

Now all of the above is accepted usually once we get the right result but once the results stop, the performance goes under the microscope and I dont think anyone can accept the football we play and wonder what a more progressive manager could do, theres players of lesser quality and experience playing better football in the LoI than what O'Neill serves up every few months.

Now, I'll be still going Friday, I rarely miss Irish games but I'd be stupid to think somehow we'll suddenly realise theres more than one way to play football and that playing it on the floor is possible too instead of an aerial seige on the Moldovan goal.

I also think no matter if we get to the WC or not, we should in no way shape or form be extending O'Neills contract and I cant see Keane doing a decent job either, so he can sling his hook too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Nonsensical comparison, you should be setting the odds on these things with the bookies

O'Neill suggesting that he and Delaney are discussing an extension to his contract. Says he has increased the season ticket sales from 6 k to 14 K since he arrived and reached the finals of the only competition he was in charge of to date and is now close to the WC qualifiers.

O'Neill, Keane and Delaney should be ran out of the counntry for the last number of feeble performances alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

O'Neill suggesting that he and Delaney are discussing an extension to his contract. Says he has increased the season ticket sales from 6 k to 14 K since he arrived and reached the finals of the only competition he was in charge of to date and is now close to the WC qualifiers.

O'Neill, Keane and Delaney should be ran out of the club for the last number of feeble performances alone.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

FAI confirm O Neill staying on for Euros

FAI confirm O Neill staying on for Euros

Total disgrace. More hoofball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Bizarre timing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.