Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ireland U-21s were held to a goalless draw against Norway. The game should have been won as Reece Grego-Cox missed a real sitter.

Went to this with free admission as a Rovers ST holder. Only knew Curtis from Derry.

Fairly even game if low on goalmouth action. Ireland very 'solid'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Rekop dog wrote: »
    If Turkey beat Iceland and then drop points in Finland we'd finish ahead. Fairly unlikely you'd think though.

Why is it fairly unlikely? Turkey have won every home game except a 2-2 draw against Ukraine. Iceland have lost every away game except Kosovo. Turkey will be clear favorites to win that game

Finland won their home game against Iceland last month and would be fancied to get at least a draw at home to Turkey on Monday

There's nothing exceptional about those results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Why is it fairly unlikely? Turkey have won every home game except a 2-2 draw against Ukraine. Iceland have lost every away game except Kosovo. Turkey will be clear favorites to win that game

Finland won their home game against Iceland last month and would be fancied to get at least a draw at home to Turkey on Monday

There's nothing exceptional about those results

No they wouldn't. Turkey will be deservedly favs for that game. Especially considering the stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

IF Wales fail to win later and Scotland lose on Sunday. A draw on Monday Will do us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No they wouldn't. Turkey will be deservedly favs for that game. Especially considering the stakes.

Was onky looking at it earlier Turkey are money on with the bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

IF Wales fail to win later and Scotland lose on Sunday. A draw on Monday Will do us?

No, Slovakia would be 2nd in Scotland's group and beat us by a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

No, we need to win regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Can't wait until I don't have to see the word 'permutation' for another 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The weirdest thing about tonight is that if Wales don't win, our game barely matters (unless you think Serbia will only get a point from their last 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The weirdest thing about tonight is that if Wales don't win, our game barely matters (unless you think Serbia will only get a point from their last 2).
    True.
    But we want to make sure Wales don't qualify anyways, after how they acted in Dublin. So the 3 points tonight would at least help ensure we finish above them (therefore they cannot qualify) even if doesn't really imapct our own chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Am i correct in saying that tonight's result is irrelevant in terms of getting second place? Head is wrecked looking at permutations etc :)

Am i correct in saying that tonight's result is irrelevant in terms of getting second place? Head is wrecked looking at permutations etc :)

of course it is relevant!

We still have to finish in second place before we can consider the "permutations"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

No. If we lose and Wales win we can't come second. Get the win, worry about permutations later. They'll get infinitely easier when there's only 1 game left

We still have to finish in second place before we can consider the "permutations"!

But the Moldova games wont count in determining the second placed teams table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If Wales beat Georgia then We have to beat Moldova. If Wales don't win then our result is irrevelant.

I see this as an advantage. Wales play first. If they dont win then we should be resting players later in the game.

True.
    But we want to make sure Wales don't qualify anyways, after how they acted in Dublin. So the 3 points tonight would at least help ensure we finish above them (therefore they cannot qualify) even if doesn't really imapct our own chances

Strange way to be looking at things.

If we don't qualify, I couldn't give a rats *rse who takes our place. Also this how "they behaved" stuff. A chap got sent off for an awful awful tackle, I wouldn't hold it against the country

But points on the actual group table will.

But points on the actual group table will.

Of course i got ya, i need some fresh air :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Strange way to be looking at things.

If we don't qualify, I couldn't give a rats *rse who takes our place. Also this how "they behaved" stuff. A chap got sent off for an awful awful tackle, I wouldn't hold it against the country
    The match in Cardiff will have a grudge match element to it, that will be amongst the players and management teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

All I was trying to get across is it's not that improbable (as someone was making out) that the Iceland group could go our way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

unless Moldova beat us and go ahead of Georgia, then the Georgia results wont count! More permutations! ;)

Laois_Man wrote: »
    All I was trying to get across is it's not that improbable (as someone was making out) that the Iceland group could go our way

I was only quoting your part on the Turkey/Finland game.

unless Moldova beat us and go ahead of Georgia, then the Georgia results wont count! More permutations! ;)

Actually, if Georgia draw against Wales, we are better of losing against Moldova and hope they get a win in the last game to go ahead of Georgia.

That way we can get to 15 points in the 2nd place table instead of 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

True.

I was more annoyed at the way we played actually. MON had us far too defensively minded in a game we should have been gung-ho to win. I can't forgive him for that.

Actually, if Georgia draw against Wales, we are better of losing against Moldova and hope they get a win in the last game to go ahead of Georgia.

My head hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I was more annoyed at the way we played actually. MON had us far too defensively minded in a game we should have been gung-ho to win. I can't forgive him for that.
    Were ya now. I was annoyed that in a game that had plenty of niggle and a physical aspect to it much like a derby game, that one of the Welsh players decided to go off script, lost his head and launched himself at one of our players in a thoroughly unprofessional manner. That and his manager tried to play it down after, saying 'the Irish were just as bad etc.', when they weren't. No Irish player launched themselves wrecklessly and unprofessionally into a challenge like that Welsh player did.

I was annoyed about it, I can only imagine how the players and management team felt about it and there will be no love lost on Monday night.

Obviously the important thing is to win and hopefully make the playoffs but if we don't make it to the play offs, I'm hoping Wales don't make it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Ha what? You can't count the 6 points against Moldova if we lose to them lol, it would be only 3, leaving us worse off.

No we aren't! The most we could have on second place table is 12 in that scenario!

(ie 16 points (if we beat Wales minus the 4 points against Georgia!)

Right, lets just win both games. Agreed?

If we can somehow disguise ourselves as Serbian fans, head to Vienna tonight and cause a massive riot. They're already on rocky ground with UEFA after crowd troubles in previous campaigns, another incident and they'll be kicked out of the competition for sure leaving us with a chance to win the group or at worst guaranteed second as Moldova results will count.

Who's in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

If we can somehow disguise ourselves as Serbian fans, head to Vienna tonight and cause a massive riot. They're already on rocky ground with UEFA after crowd troubles in previous campaigns, another incident and they'll be kicked out of the competition for sure leaving us with a chance to win the group or at worst guaranteed second as Moldova results will count.

Who's in?

An idea with a far greater chance of success than beating Wales in Cardiff. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Who's in?

Ja sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Feck it lads. No point getting ourselves worked up doing the mathematics. I'm officially boarding the positivity train. CHOO CHOO.

We have a habit of doing it hard for ourselves down the years, and timing our runs down the home-straight. Okay our recent displays don't indicate that history is about to repeat itself, and we've been generally tedious to watch as of late, but I want to believe we can do it again.

Furthermore, I genuinely don't see the following sequence of results being beyond the realms of possibility either.

Tonight:
    Georgia 1-0 Wales
    Ireland 3-0 Moldova
    Austria 2-1 Serbia

Monday:
    Moldova 0-1 Austria
    Serbia 1-1 Georgia
    Wales 0-1 Ireland

Leaving the final standings as:
    Serbia 10 +9 19
    Ireland 10 +7 19
    Austria 10 +2 15
    Wales 10 +5 14
    Georgia 10 -3 9
    Moldova 10 -20 2

Surely to god we'd be sure of a play-off place then?

Georgia on my mind. Advance Austria fair.

COYBIG

A 5-0 win, Wales win and Austrian win would set up a crazy final day on Monday.

Ha what? You can't count the 6 points against Moldova if we lose to them lol, it would be only 3, leaving us worse off.

you are correct.

If everyone could ignore my musings from earlier is appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I fear another Georgia-away performance tonight

Seven Worlds will Collide

I fear another Georgia-away performance tonight

We have nothing to fear except fear itself.

Hoping Georgia can take points from Wales here. Wales' task will be neigh on impossible without a win out there, thus making them either out of contention v us come Monday depending on other results or desperate for a big win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kirby wrote: »
    There is zero chances of him walking away from the money on offer. If we get through, he'll sign a new deal.
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    Zero chance you say?, and you know this for definite, how?
    Kirby wrote: »
    Because the money is too good. If he is fit to do the job, he will.
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    If he gets us to the World Cup he's entitled to an extension if he wants it, he'll have fulfilled his remit.

Hasn't gotten us to the World cup.....gets renewed anyway. That was posted a while back but the sentiment remains.

If people think O'Neill would turn down such a cushy job, you are mad. Sure our football association not only accepts failure.....we pay handsomely for it.

• No Match thread?

• Advertisement

Hoping Georgia can take points from Wales here. Wales' task will be neigh on impossible without a win out there, thus making them either out of contention v us come Monday depending on other results or desperate for a big win.

What happened to your Viennese false flag op?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Can't wait until I don't have to see the word 'permutation' for another 2 years.

Hopefully we see it in the Group stage at the World Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Watching the Welsh game, with Welsh commentary. There are so many "th" sounds that we'd all be screwed for starters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

theteal wrote: »
    Watching the Welsh game, with Welsh commentary. There are so many "th" sounds that we'd all be screwed for starters!

Where you watching? S4C is boasting a live stream but never loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wales 1 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Where you watching? S4C is boasting a live stream but never loads.

S4C HD no less, channel 134 on my freesat Sky box.
    Mushy wrote: »
    Wales 1 up

Looked a decent finish but the keeper was poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,427 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Georgia do play some lovely football.

Nice ball to feet through the centre of the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

O'Dowda starts. Long and Murphy up front. Meyler captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

What's the deal with only showing 6 games played for Wales in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams? What games are counted?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Feck sake Wales 1 up.
    They will probably hold on too and not go defensive totally like we did thus allowing Georgia back into it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement