Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Worztron wrote: »
    What's the deal with only showing 6 games played for Wales in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams? What games are counted?

Games against the bottom sides aren't counted which in our group means the ones against Moldova.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Both Wales and Georgia look better at football than we do :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Games against the bottom sides aren't counted which in our group means the ones against Moldova.

Thanks Mr.Nice Guy. But if for arguments sake, a new team went bottom - would the 2nd best team table get changed?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Worztron wrote: »
    Thanks Mr.Nice Guy. But if for arguments sake, a new team went bottom - would the 2nd best team table get changed?

Wont make a difference unless Moldova beat Austria
    And Georgia loose their next match which is not gonna happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

3 of the back 4 who can miss Mondays game if they're booked, hopefully the games over at half time and get some of the lads subbed off.

• Advertisement

Wes strating so no chance of him playing on monday I take it

Sin City wrote: »
    Wes strating so no chance of him playing on monday I take it

Probably not, I'd have saved him for the Wales game and started Hourihane tonight in his place.

Probably not, I'd have saved him for the Wales game and started Hourihane tonight in his place.

Same... or even Arter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Great start. Hit this lot for 6 tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Much respect for George Hamilton but jesus he goes on like his listeners are watching football for the first time.

• Advertisement

Serbia drawing 1-1 with Austria

Iceland beating turkey 2-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Is Shane Long's poor finishing at risk of ruling him out of starting place on Monday?

We may only get one chance on against the Welsh. We need to to take them. Long's confidence must be piss poor at this stage. Feel sorry for the guy. Can't hit a barn door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

A pity that Hogan was not given a debut. Why bring on McGeady over him?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

My guess for Monday night;

Randolph

Christie - Duffy - Clarke - Ward

Meyler - Hendrick

O'Dowda - Hourihane - Brady

Murphy

Only God knows who'd play wide right. Throw in a wild card pick of O'Dowda maybe but more than likely be Long or McClean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Looking at the permatations

Croatia/Ukraine draw
    Norway to beat North
    Scotland to draw/lose against Slovenia
    Bosnia/Greece to mess up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Randolph

Meyler - Hendrick

Murphy

Only God knows who'd play wide right. Throw in a wild card pick of O'Dowda maybe but more than likely be Long or McClean.

By what logic would you "guess" Hourihane will start over McClean! Or O Dowda for that matter!

And why would we not be starting our best performing player through the Championships anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Randolph

Meyler - Hendrick

Murphy

That's a random guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Randolph

Christie Duffy Clark Ward

Hendrick Whelan Meyler

Brady McClean

Murphy

By what logic would you "guess" Hourihane will start over McClean! Or O Dowda for that matter!

And why would we not be starting our best performing player through the Championships anyway?

Because McCleans best position is on the left. He's not a centre midfielder or hasn't got a right foot and unfortunatly for him Robbie Brady plays week in week out for Burnley on left. Instead of putting square pegs in round holes just to get certain lads on the pitch maybe play them in their natural positions, that would be my logic.

And while McClean did play well in the earlier games what was that nearly 7 months ago versus Wales and nearly 12 months ago against Moldova and Austria. A lot changes in 7 months and he's simply not getting enough game time at club level to start ahead of Brady in his best position of playing on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He scored in two vital games.

Still living of those two performances a year ago tbh.

Also cant get a game for his club. Really should have dropped down in the summer to get regular football.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    He scored in two vital games.

Still living of those two performances a year ago tbh.

Also cant get a game for his club. Really should have dropped down in the summer to get regular football.

He was up there with our best players in the Serbia defeat, similarly put in a good shift against Wales, and again was one of our more positive players in Austria draw.

He has been overall our best performer through the Championship and to say he is "living off those two performances a year ago" (2 very big results in scheme of the group) is a load of nonsense. Noone saying he is a world beater but he is, deservedly, a certain starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'm not a big fan but think he's done enough to deserve a starting place. Strongly disagree with him being our best performer vs Serbia though, his decision making was shocking that night, he was shooting from hugely unlikely angles with pretty substandard technique.

He's just not the brightest lad in the world, but probably has more heart than anyone which can be contagious in a game.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan but think he's done enough to deserve a starting place. Strongly disagree with him being our best performer vs Serbia though, his decision making was shocking that night, he was shooting from hugely unlikely angles with pretty substandard technique.

He's just not the brightest lad in the world, but probably has more heart than anyone which can be contagious in a game.

Never said he was the best performer, but apart from the 2 CBs, Meyler and Hoolahan, he was the only one really that could come off the pitch a bit of applaud. Look at the state of Hendrick and Brady that game, Walters barely got a kick and Long was chasing shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Hendrick would want to get the finger out. He's been swanning around the last couple of games.

There's a bit of James McCarthy about him. Watching the game pass by. He needs to get far more involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Long isn't a certain starter for me at all. A striker on such a barren run can't simply be a decent performer or, on tonight's display, a terrible performer. I'm not saying he shouldn't start games but he's way off off the 'first name on the team sheet' stuff. He'll always run in sprints a lot in games but he's never developed the smartness at all to use his pace in the right way in games. We'll always struggle to score goals in games with an average midfield, a goal shy striker always being a 'certain' one I definitely disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Hendrick would want to get the finger out. He's been swanning around the last couple of games.

There's a bit of James McCarthy about him. Watching the game pass by. He needs to get far more involved.

2 good games in the euros is all I've ever noticed.

The rest mediocre.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

He's like a man wondering what his 43rd tattoo will be. Maybe something deep, like a Native American with a wolf in moonlight. Or another Maori/tribal one. Or his gran's name on his arm, 'cos that's like showing a sensitive side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Never said he was the best performer, but apart from the 2 CBs, Meyler and Hoolahan, he was the only one really that could come off the pitch a bit of applaud. Look at the state of Hendrick and Brady that game, Walters barely got a kick and Long was chasing shadows.

But Hendrick didn't even play...

Long was unlucky last night
    On another night he would have had a hatrick

Longs main focus is his speed and ability to take defenders out of position to make space for our other players.

As good as Murphy is he's only 3 Irish goals so far
    Still he's in form at the moment so he may start Monday

Monday is a cup final
    It'll be a tense defensive 60 mins then hopefully a hit them on the break

Head says draw
    Heart says Ireland win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I see one of our best ever strikers, Clinton Morrison on sky sports news saying Wales v Ireland will be a great battle between 2 British teams..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I see one of our best ever strikers, Clinton Morrison on sky sports news saying Wales v Ireland will be a great battle between 2 British teams..

Clinton is a good lad. I don’t think he should be chastised because he’s never read a book in his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Nothing wrong with what he said except that he left out the word 'Isles'.

Hang him.

who cares! Uneducated wording but you get what the message of what he is saying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Both play the British kick and rush style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Could a draw be good enough to wales? No good enough for us obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dots1982 wrote: »

I doubt Wales will play for a draw either way and I think Slovakia would be better to get the play off spot if its a draw. One of ourselves/Wales must win to overtake Slovakia I think.

Of course with Austria beating Serbia the situation has changed I think. Georgia could blow things up if they beat the Serbs, and it could be the winners of our match that TOPS the group! Both sides be going all out to win.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I doubt Wales will play for a draw either way and I think Slovakia would be better to get the play off spot if its a draw. One of ourselves/Wales must win to overtake Slovakia I think.

Of course with Austria beating Serbia the situation has changed I think. Georgia could blow things up if they beat the Serbs, and it could be the winners of our match that TOPS the group! Both sides be going all out to win.

I know wales will not play for a draw, was more of a question if it is nil all after 80 mins will wales have to throw the kitchen sink at it or could they sneak through with a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I know wales will not play for a draw, was more of a question if it is nil all after 80 mins will wales have to throw the kitchen sink at it or could they sneak through with a point

No. I believe Slovakia will go through instead unless Wales win.

Unlikely. Would take a draw in Ukraine v Croatia. And even at that a high score would knock them out. And that game is on at the same time so they won't know beforehand.

Bosnia and Greece could also **** up big time but again unlikely and again they won't know when they're playing so Wales would be mad not to play for the win

Actually if Bosnia and Greece both lose tonight a draw will guarantee Wales a playoff.

But we very much want that too, because it also means a win will guarantee us playoff.

• Advertisement

Ok and what’s the situation with cards? Are any of our players on a yellow for Monday, If they are booked on Monday are they out of the next qualifier or possible playoff?

Ok and what’s the situation with cards? Are any of our players on a yellow for Monday, If they are booked on Monday are they out of the next qualifier or possible playoff?

4 of last night's starting 11 were on yellows in Ward, Duffy, Christie and Meyler. Yes if they are booked Monday they miss the first leg of the playoff if we get there, also think they'll miss the first game of Euro 2020 qualifiers if booked and we don't make the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Only winning 2-0 was classic Ireland. We could have stood on their throats last night and be talking about possibly topping the group if the Serbs draw with Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Only winning 2-0 was classic Ireland. We could have stood on their throats last night and be talking about possibly topping the group if the Serbs draw with Georgia.

Goal difference doesn't matter, comes down on head to head, so if Serbia draw and we win, they go top on head to head

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Actually if Bosnia and Greece both lose tonight a draw will guarantee Wales a playoff.

But we very much want that too, because it also means a win will guarantee us playoff.

If they both draw a playoff is also guaranteed.

siblers wrote: »
    Goal difference doesn't matter, comes down on head to head, so if Serbia draw and we win, they go top on head to head

Goal difference counts not head to head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

also think they'll miss the first game of Euro 2020 qualifiers if booked and we don't make the playoffs.

They usually wipe yellow cards (single or double) from qualification campaign to campaign.
    The unfathomable Nations Cup is first up before the Euro 20 qualifying starts anyway so an suspensions would apply there.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

siblers wrote: »

Goal difference in World Cup qualifiers.

They usually wipe yellow cards (single or double) from qualification campaign to campaign.
    The unfathomable Nations Cup is first up before the Euro 20 qualifying starts anyway so an suspensions would apply there.

Totally forgot about the Nations League thing, should be interesting to say the least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A shooting at dawn is called for :eek: He probably meant a british style game and he is not wrong or else he has been mixing with too many West Brits and has become mixed up .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement