Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,943 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd sure love too be MON and Co who are getting paid handsomely no matter what the result and will sure get a paid holiday too Russia next summer to do a bit of research. At the end of the day it's there job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Only winning 2-0 was classic Ireland. We could have stood on their throats last night and be talking about possibly topping the group if the Serbs draw with Georgia.

Yeah go for 4 or 5 and be totally fatigued for the equally important Wales game.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah go for 4 or 5 and be totally fatigued for the equally important Wales game.

We always look fatigued anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Bosnia-Herzegovina losing - this is great news for ROI to get into table of best 2nd place teams.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Bosnia-Herzegovina losing - this is great news for ROI to get into table of best 2nd place teams.

Just need Greece to lose or draw and we're set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If we don't manage to qualify, it is utterly unforgivable to have managed to blow it from being top of the group after winning in Austria, with the aforementioned, Wales and Serbia all left to play at home.

And all because O'Neill shat himself.

The one positive for Monday is that O'Neill now has no choice but to go for it, and although there were other factors that played into our hands against Italy, the same must-win circumstances resulted in that performance last time out.

If we do go out, a change of management is absolutely needed, but of course the FAI extend his deal before the Wales game. Of ****ing course.

Paully D wrote: »
    If we don't manage to qualify, it is utterly unforgivable to have managed to blow it from being top of the group after winning in Austria, with the aforementioned, Wales and Serbia all left to play at home.

The one positive for Monday is that O'Neill now has no choice but to go for it, and although there were other factors that played into our hands against Italy, the same must-win circumstances resulted in that performance last time out.

If we do go out, a change of management is absolutely needed, but of course the FAI extend his deal before the Wales game. Of ****ing course.

Just like with Trap, the FAI do it arse ways around again and offer a new contract before a tournament and before even qualifying for a tournament respectively. Is there anyone high up in the FAI that actually uses logic?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I agree with all of that Paully D. If we pull off a miracle in Wales, super. If we don't, the 4 games, vs Wales home, Georgia away, Serbia home and Austria home were a shocking set of results. 3 points out of 12. I 100% don't understand giving O'Neill a contract before the qualification is decided. It should be a reward for getting us to the world cup. What is the logic to that decision? Maybe there is literally no one better who would take the job?

Also, personally as much as I question O'Neills culpability for those 4 bad results. I think Roy Keane is an absolute liability. I'm convinced his antics costs us. He was a failure as a manager and O'Neill didn't need him.

We're hoping for a Cypriot win or draw later right? With Belgium winning and that result going well for us tonight, a win over Wales gets us a playoff spot 100% guaranteed, or have I missed something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Paully D wrote: »

You have to look at the role of the players in it all.

I've seen Ireland choke under several different managers. When you look at the record, the manager is a variable, because there have been a few. What's constant is the Irish mentality, and I don't really think that'll change whoever you hire. It's a problem that goes a bit deeper.

When England had a 'shock' draw with Algeria at WC 2010, Graeme Souness went on a bit of a tirade about how the players will look for every way to excuse a poor performance except to point the finger at themselves. I think there was a lot of agreement among Irish fans watching the spectacle, possibly magnified by the schadenfreude of watching a tabloid-fancied England's WC hopes hanging in the balance. But I really think you could apply the same points to Ireland's listless performance in Tblisi. Players just didn't seem bothered. And in the Serbian game, they were outclassed, even with the vaunted Hoolihan on the field. As they say, on that night, Ireland probably could have played all night and not found a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Praetorian wrote: »
    I agree with all of that Paully D. If we pull off a miracle in Wales, super. If we don't, the 4 games, vs Wales home, Georgia away, Serbia home and Austria home were a shocking set of results. 3

Wales at home wasn't a shocking result and Austria game wasn't an awful result either.

We don't have, like Austria, Wales, Serbia don't have, any god given right to be winning these games.
    We played with a positive mindset against Serbia and still lost.

We are capable of winning these games but all 4 of the top teams in the group are capable of taking points off eachother.

Whatever about some of the performances, the two highlighted results weren't shocking.

The fact that you are stalking about "pulling off a miracle to beat Wales" and then bizarrely calling the corresponding result "shocking" makes no sense.
    Cardiff is hardly this massively daunting arena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Patww79 wrote: »

I'll take those odds.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/wales-v-ireland/winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wales at home wasn't a shocking result and Austria game wasn't an awful result either.

We don't have, like Austria, Wales, Serbia don't have, any god given right to be winning these games.
    We played with a positive mindset against Serbia and still lost.

We are capable of winning these games but all 4 of the top teams in the group are capable of taking points off eachother.

Whatever about some of the performances, the two highlighted results weren't shocking.

The fact that you are stalking about "pulling off a miracle to beat Wales" and then bizarrely calling the corresponding result "shocking" makes no sense.
    Cardiff is hardly this massively daunting arena
    It's not the losses or bad results it's the manner of those losses and bad results.
    Hoofball is anti football and MON seems to love that. He is a very negative manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hoofball is anti football and MON seems to love that. He is a very negative manager.

Hoofball and negativity is what has Iceland top of their group. A manager who realises their sides limitations is worth it's weight in gold.

I was most critical of MON vs Serbia as he bowed to media pressure and tried to play a bit and we lost our only match of the campaign.

It's not the losses or bad results it's the manner of those losses and bad results.

He said "shocking results".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Praetorian wrote: »
    Also, personally as much as I question O'Neills culpability for those 4 bad results. I think Roy Keane is an absolute liability. I'm convinced his antics costs us. He was a failure as a manager and O'Neill didn't need him.

Please explain how exactly he is a liability. What antics?
    If you seriously think his press conferences have and impact on the match youre either clueless or just looking for any reason to blame roy.
    A failure how? Got Sunderland promoted and wasn't relegated, didnt get Ipswich promoted but just look at what shane supple has said about the whole culture of the club and that'll explain that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He said "shocking results".

The Serbia and Wales results were poor.

The performances were quite poor.

Wales really dominated until the red, we seemed happy to conceding possession and territory too often.

Serbia was just generally poor.

Its shocking that we could win in Cardiff and get nothing tbh. Particularly given where we were.

We never seem to capitalise or take the initiative. Just one home win to Austria, Wales or Serbia would have made all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Or you know, beating Georgia away after going a goal up. Shocking performance that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

So if Scotland win tomorrow we'll be hoping for a hail mary of a draw between Ukraine and Croatia.

You kind of already know how this is going to turn out. It's been awhile since we had a glorious failure... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Hail Mary will be going into the Wales game with our only remaining chance being for Georgia to beat Serbia in Belgrade and we top the group. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So, even 2 more goals v Moldova would have meant that a 1 goal win over Wales would have been enough without relying on other results. I really wonder whether the management team were on top of this :mad:

The hail maryiest will be Gibraltar going to Greece and getting their first win ever so Bosnia can overtake them again meaning our win would then be good enough.

So, even 2 more goals v Moldova would have meant that a 1 goal win over Wales would have been enough without relying on other results. I really wonder whether the management team were on top of this :mad:

It's you who isn't on top of this I'm afraid.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It's you who isn't on top of this I'm afraid.

Ah maybe i am, head is fried with it all :) Or would we have need 5 v Moldova?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Patww79 wrote: »

Or draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Or draw

Or win.

Ah maybe i am, head is fried with it all :) Or would we have need 5 v Moldova?

Moldova results are discounted in 2nd place table.

Although you may have a point (inadvertently:pac:)and something i hadn't considered is if the unlikely event of Serbia drawing and we win then a few extra goals vs Moldova would have really made a difference. That really would be sick if we missed out on top spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Trying to be realistic here, but we need a series of "moments" to qualify for Russia.

- Scotland drop points/Croatia & Ukraine draw
    - We beat Wales
    - We avoid horrible top seed and win playoff

It seems like a lot of sh!te is going to have to go our way.

Like we're talking a whole episode of 'reeling in the years' will be dedicated to this final month if we do it.

• Advertisement

Although you may have a point (inadvertently:pac:)and something i hadn't considered is if the unlikely event of Serbia drawing and we win then a few extra goals vs Moldova would have really made a difference. That really would be sick if we missed out on top spot.

No i realised about the Serbia draw and momentarily forgot about Moldova results not counting for 2nd so was assuming oh **** it i dont know :o im off out for walk and a few pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Has anyone seen o’dowda play club football?

He seems to only exist in a green jersey...to me anyway.

Fair play for O’Neill to pick him out as one to include at a level beyond what his CV would indicate he’s able for.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen o’dowda play club football?

He seems to only exist in a green jersey...to me anyway.

Fair play for O’Neill to pick him out as one to include at a level beyond what his CV would indicate he’s able for.

Only just gone 22 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

For my own amusement I put together a best XI from our own Group D, to see how many Irish players would make it. This is what I came up with:

Hennessy

--Coleman
    Ivanovic
    Williams
    Kolarov

Allen
    Matic

Bale
    Ramsey
    Arnautovic

Mitrovic

I think Coleman is the only one of our players that would make it, although I feel a case can be made for Randolph as there isn't much between the keepers. Wales conceded a goal less than ourselves so I went with Hennessy.

Tadic is unlucky to miss out as he had a good campaign. I felt Arnautovic made it look more balanced. Some might argue McClean merits a spot on the left but I think Arnautovic is better than him, and showed it against Serbia. Leaving out Alaba isn't a call I would have seen myself making prior to the campaign but I don't think he's been impressive. Ramsey might be a questionable choice but he offers a lot whenever I see him and I'm worried about what he could do to us on Monday. Bale is self explanatory.

Mitrovic is the group's top scorer so I think he deserves to lead the line. For me it resulted in:

5 Welsh
    4 Serbs
    1 Austrian
    1 Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Trying to be realistic here, but we need a series of "moments" to qualify for Russia.

- Scotland drop points/Croatia & Ukraine draw
    - We beat Wales
    - We avoid horrible top seed and win playoff

It seems like a lot of sh!te is going to have to go our way.

Like we're talking a whole episode of 'reeling in the years' will be dedicated to this final month if we do it.

We dug this hole ourselves. It would not be "glorious" failure.

It would be Irish incompetence and fecklessness.

Those points needlessly thrown away coming home to roost now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Quite disheartening how some will enjoy us not qualifying MORE than if we qualified. Just so they can keep moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Not sure about this, doesn't it come down to head-to-head if teams are level on points? So Serbia would be ahead of us even if we managed, somehow, to have a better goal difference overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

It'll be tough but stranger things have happened
    Germany italy come to mind
    When are backs are against the wall
    When no one gives us a chance we do the unthinkable

I can see Scotland drawing 0-0
    Slovenia kept England quite for until the 93 min

Croatia are managerless after their 1-1 draw with Finland

Miracles do happen

• Advertisement

To be honest, the biggest obstacle is us actually winning in Cardiff! The probability of Scotland dropping points or Croatia drawing is greater than us doing the business, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The crunch game most applicable to MON's reign is Poland away, not Italy. And we were thoroughly terrible that day. I just don't see how we go to Cardiff and win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Not sure about this, doesn't it come down to head-to-head if teams are level on points? So Serbia would be ahead of us even if we managed, somehow, to have a better goal difference overall.

Goes by goal difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Goes by goal difference.

I thought it was head to head but realising now it's goal diference, we really should have gone for Moldova.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The crunch game most applicable to MON's reign is Poland away, not Italy. And we were thoroughly terrible that day. I just don't see how we go to Cardiff and win.
    The only games applicable are the applicable games over the next couple of days

Goes by goal difference.

Didn't know that. Why can't there be universal laws in place across the board? There seems to be different criteria in each competition, it's hard to keep track.

I'm guessing too that goals against the bottom sides still count when differentiating teams on the same points? Results against bottom teams are only discounted when determining the top 8 runners up? If that's the case, we should really have tried to put a few more past Moldova, as it's not against the realms of possibility for Serbia and us to end the campaign on the same points. I just assumed their better head-to-head had us trumped.

• Advertisement

Just checked it there - if Serbia draw then we need just a 5-0 win over Wales to finish top on GD. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Just checked it there - if Serbia draw then we need just a 5-0 win over Wales to finish top on GD. Nice one.

bet of the night there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Even disregarding the results of those games at home to Austria, Serbia and Wales - imagine if we had even just won away to ****ing Georgia after going 1-0 up after 4 minutes. That would have left us just needing to avoid defeat tomorrow night (pending results elsewhere).

So many opportunities blown in this campaign. :(

Simples. /s

Worztron wrote: »
    Simples. /s

inthebag.com

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement