Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

So all we have to do now is beat Wales, and then beat Portugal, Italy, Denmark or Sweden (as things stand) on aggregate.

Walk in the park :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Any chance of us facing the north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

PhilipsR wrote: »
    He didn't say Wales were gonna win...

Wales dc should be easy money so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Guffy wrote: »
    Wales dc should be easy money so?
    What's dc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What's dc?

Double Chance. Means Wales not to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Double Chance. Means Wales not to lose

3/10 decent odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Sin City wrote: »
    Any chance of us facing the north?

If there's no change in the rankings as they stand then yes I think the North will be seeded for the playoffs.

Is a draw good enough for Wales to get a play off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Probably not - they would be depending on a Ukraine - Croatia draw on Tuesday night I think.

So if it’s level going into last 15 we should see a bit of excitement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Yes but only if Croatia also draw. Wales would get through on more goals scored - that is unless Croatia score a big goal draw like 3-3 or something.

COYBIG

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If there's no change in the rankings as they stand then yes I think the North will be seeded for the playoffs.

Think N. Ireland would only be seeded if we beat Wales. Wales (13) are ahead of N Ireland (20) in rankings and Rep Ireland (34) behind them. So if Wales are in the play offs, I think it would push them down into the second seeds. There's also the question as to which of Croatia (18), Slovakia (19) or or Ukraine (24) get through - and the rankings will change a little but not by that much but it is possible that Sweden could overtake N. Ireland as they're close.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    3/10 decent odds
    3/10 Wales and draw is decent odds are you mad? I think Ireland are a decent bet to win tomorrow night. 9/4. Those odds have been slashed from 11/4 a couple of days ago. Ireland getting a second bite at the cherry after Scotland's draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Laois_Man wrote: »
    You're wrong there. Croatia's GD is 1 (+9) better than Wales (+8). A draw puts Wales out no matter what happens....which is a good thing for us IMO.

No, on the rankings of second-placed teams they both have a GD of +2 and Wales have 1 goal scored more.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Worztron wrote: »
    Yes but only if Croatia also draw. Wales would get through on more goals scored - that is unless Croatia score a big goal draw like 3-3 or something.

COYBIG
    Worztron wrote: »
    No, on the rankings of second-placed teams they both have a GD of +2 and Wales have 1 goal scored more.

Yeah sorry I realized my mistake and deleted post

But if we draw 0-0 and Croatia draws 1-1 (or if it's 2-2/1-1 or whatever, then Croatia and Wales would finish dead level at the bottom on points and goals scored and goals conceded. Then it comes down to fair play points and who know who'd be ahead there!

Its good for us IMO that Wales really have to go for the win too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mushy wrote:
    Ireland must win. Results as they are mean our group wouldn't be worst second place team (for a win for Wales or Ireland).

We'll be grand as long as McClean fails to make an appearance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

chicorytip wrote: »

He's been our best player all campaign.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Nonsensical comment. A positive player, he will play a crucial role if we win tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's McClean's skill as a forward player, and his passion that make him a great asset to the team. It's just those times when things aren't going so well, or it's a high pressure situation, where I worry about him doing something awfully rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

sdanseo wrote: »
    So all we have to do now is beat Wales, and then beat Portugal, Italy, Denmark or Sweden (as things stand) on aggregate.

Walk in the park :rolleyes:

Reckon it'll be the Swiss Denmark Italy or Sweden myself. Should we somehow pull it of youd want Denmark Sweden Italy Swiss in that order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Reckon it'll be the Swiss Denmark Italy or Sweden myself. Should we somehow pull it of youd want Denmark Sweden Italy Swiss in that order

I'm not counting my chickens, but equally not pessimistic about tomorrow. We should have beat them at home. And they haven't beaten us since 1992 but we've won three times.

Last 7 games is W D W D W D D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would have agreed a year ago after the Austria game. Can't say I've thought much of his performances in the last four games.

You get the impression there's a few posters on here who are pissed off that Ireland have a get out of jail card tomorrow night. There's been an awful lot of negativity on these pages recently, some of it unwarranted, and if we end up in a play off and then get to Russia a few posters round here will look silly.

'MON Ireland tomorrow night in Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What way should/will we line up tomorrow? Hard to know if Long will start or not. Difficult starting XI to predict, I'd say he knows about ten of his team with one position up for grabs. Hoolahan likely to feature off the bench I would think.

My guess: Randolph; Christie, Duffy, Clarke, Ward; Meyler, Hendrick, Arter, Brady, McClean; Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

You get the impression there's a few posters on here who are pissed off that Ireland have a get out of jail card tomorrow night. There's been an awful lot of negativity on these pages recently, some of it unwarranted, and if we end up in a play off and then get to Russia a few posters round here will look silly.

The fans on here aren't very representative of one's I've spoken to. I think with low intelligence comes a low ability to see a situation for what it is, or give a fair analysis of a managers abilities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

noodler wrote: »
    Would have agreed a year ago after the Austria game. Can't say I've thought much of his performances in the last four games.

I thought he was very good against Serbia, he put in a lot of effort as he always does.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

My attitude towards seeing the average poster on this forum as fair and balanced changed when MoN took serious flack after the qualifier in Warsaw 2years ago for not “going for it”. We’d just beaten the world champions and the level of complaining was unbelievable.

The YBIG survey in terms of satisfaction with the contract MoN has been awarded is evenly split which gives me heart that there is a reasonable balance out there. The constantly negative media coverage gives me less hope.

My attitude towards seeing the average poster on this forum as fair and balanced changed when MoN took serious flack after the qualifier in Warsaw 2years ago for not “going for it”. We’d just beaten the world champions and got to a playoff against the odds the level of complaining was unbelievable.

The YBIG survey in terms of satisfaction with the contract MoN has been awarded is evenly split which gives me heart that there is a reasonable balance out there. The constantly negative media coverage gives me less hope.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    They only have to be 'good enough' to beat what's in front of them. Tomorrow they face Wales. Are Ireland better than Wales? I think they are. Go out there and beat them.

So if we beat Wales tomorrow are you undone then?

:pac: What a ridiculous comment

• Advertisement

You like Martin O'Neill, others don't but you'll just have to get over the fact that there isn't blind support for the same opinion you hold. He's got his contract so you've got what you want anyway.

I was never a huge fan and think he's a relic but I wasn't completely done with the idea of him until Georgia 3 games ago.[/quote]

It’s not blind support. It’s support based on measuring our resources versus the results achieved. I have criticisms of MoN, granted it’s not a very long list because frankly I can’t see a whole lot he’s done wrong.

We have no goal scorers, we have no possession minded midfielders except maybe Euan O’Kane who is constantly injured and isn’t playing at a high level, we have one player who can be relied upon to provide an “8” performance every time we step on the grass and he got his leg snapped just before our results mysteriously deteoriated. We have a manager who every time he has brought a player into the first eleven they have improved it despite not having great predigree- Randolph, Duffy, O’Dowda.

We play a direct physical game based on crossing, physicalty and set pieces and making it hard for the opposition to get into a rhythm. It’s not easy on the eye but neither would it be if Kenny, Hughton or Michael o’neill was the manager; our players are extremely limited. Even the likes of a Fellaini would bring us to a completely different level,

The game is tomorrow. 19:45 kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Wales won't have Bale. I think we'll see a very average team tomorrow night. They'll attack so we can catch them on the courter. Houlihan playing will help unlock their defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see a player like Hogan play also - either starting or off the bench.

The atmosphere will be difficult for the first 20 minutes but we'll need to keep the heads - the game will open up and will be there for the taking. We need to go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

One win in five.

Going from top to requiring a mini-miracle just to get a playoff.

I'd be more wary of those with the unbridled optimism to be fair.

Anyway, tomorrow’s game; have people watched wales? Their personnel looks to be setup to play narrow. Only Davies maybe comfortable on the wing. Since our game is based on Brady and McClean getting crossed in I think this maybe good for us.

Any views?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Wales have ashley williams playing.

Ireland have a fecking great chance with him playing. An absolute liability for Everton every game this season

Wales won't have Bale. I think we'll see a very average team tomorrow night. They'll attack so we can catch them on the courter. Houlihan playing will help unlock their defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see a surprise player like Hogan play also - either starting or off the bench.

The atmosphere will be difficult for the first 20 minutes but we'll need to keep the heads - the game will open up and will be there for the taking. We need to go for it!
    George Harrison was the TheQuietBeatle. He was fairly smart as well.

I agree, I think we can win over in Cardiff tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It's been a weird group. Wales in pot 1 were ranked higher than they should have been because they beat the ranking system by not playing friendlies. Serbia in pot 3 were ranked lower than they should have been because they were docked points against Albania for crowd trouble and then forced to play their home games behind closed doors which was detrimental to their ranking. So we got lucky with Wales and unlucky with Serbia. Ireland were in the 4th pot.

Right now we're the only team left from the 4th pot or below that's still in with a chance of playoffs which can't be ignored. We're outsiders tomorrow, but like all games involving the top 4 in our group this campaign it's going to be extremely tight, as no match between us 4 has been won by more than a goal yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Then why do you bother your *rse posting about a team you think are ****, don't have a chance of winning tomorrow (in a game against a team we are capable of beating ).

If I was so utterly negative about something, I would just detach myself away slightly.

No they're not Brazil but the players aren't as bad as he perceives and how he has them playing. Jesus, a conference side isn't as bad as he perceives the Irish squad to be.[/quote]

He’s not perceiving as “bad”, he’s perceiving us as having certain strengths and certain weaknesses.

To repeat we have strong, fit, hungry players who are hard to play against and good at playing off crosses and set pieces. There’s nothing much to show we have anything much beyond that.

No they're not Brazil but the players aren't as bad as he perceives and how he has them playing. Jesus, a conference side isn't as bad as he perceives the Irish squad to be.[/quote]

He’s not perceiving as “bad”, he’s perceiving us as having certain strengths and certain weaknesses.

To repeat we have strong, fit, hungry players who are hard to play against and good at playing off crosses and set pieces. There’s nothing much to show we have anything much beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Of course they're not better than Wales, they've regressed very badly over the past few games. Couple that with them being away from home in a game that matters to both teams and there's not a snowballs chance.

But you wont put any money on Wales :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement